• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Last Stock Legends Is Important

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
while i can certainly understand how it's predominantly going to be melee due to its freakishly long history, i hope this can extend to other games in the series way down the road...

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
Late last week, Last Stock Legends, a Kickstarter project hoping to document some of the most significant moments in Melee history, was launched. By spending time on some of the great moments in Melee, the team hopes to humanize the players and matches behind these exciting stories. The team is comprised of the best the Smash community has to offer. Former commentator Wynton 'progducto' Smith, community videographer Jason 'Papapaint' Durso, stats man Daniel 'tafokints' Lee and more are on board to make this project everything it can be.

Learn more about Last Stock Legends at its Kickstarter page!

Last Stock Legends is the history of our community.
Currently, the project is sitting at about two-thirds of the way to its goal with $4,125 dollars raised. I'm here to talk to you all today as a lover of Smash. Last Stock Legends is a shared history. Whether you love Melee or have never even touched it, Melee is what got us here, and we owe it to the Smashers who came before us to honor their contributions to the series we love so much.

You Might Not Know This, But...

What if I told you that The Best Player in The World isn't one of the Gods of Melee? What if I told you one of the most popular players of the Golden Age of Melee was actually a Bowser main? What if I told you Melee was the first game to popularize combo videos? If you've been around since the early days, you might know all these things. But what about the new generation of Smashers? A large part of our community has grown up on Twitch streams, watching sponsored players fight for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. They know the Smashers from the documentary and that's a great start, but there's so much more to be learned.

There are tons of important moments in Melee history still to be discovered in the archives

Last Stock Legends is taking a new route into Smash history. Instead of tackling long timelines the way The Smash Documentary did, Last Stock Legends is melting down small moments - single matches, sets, and even moments - and giving them up close and personal takes from the people they affected most. Want to know how Zhu felt during the Wombo Combo? How about Mango and Armada's thoughts on facing each other for the first time, all the way back at Genesis in 2009? These are pivotal moments in Smash history, and they're getting put under a microscope. Wouldn't you want to take a look?

Don't Stop Now

To start, Last Stock Legends is looking to do a run of eight videos, each capturing a moment of Melee history. But there's more to be done than that. Melee is a game with a history that spans over a decade - there are so many moments to talk about, so many people that have gone without their due credit. If this project truly takes off, who knows how many moments from the past will be honored?

The project started out of the gate strong, getting over half of its funding in a single day. That said, Last Stock Legends still needs your help. If you love Smash, consider donating. I know I will be.

----

Still want to learn more about the project? Follow Last Stock Legends online:

Twitter
Last Stock Legends AMA!
Kickstarter Page

Editor's Note: Hey guys, The Derrit here. While I'm sure I echo the sentiments of many on the Smashboards staff, this piece is purely my opinion - as a fellow Smash historian, I think it's really important to see this project flourish. The LSL team is made up of some really stand-up guys, and I can't think of a better group of guys to entrust with our community's storied past. If you've got any questions for me about the project, or Smash in general, Tweet me up at @TheDerrit.
I do honor the players of Super Smash Bros. Melee, but some players from that generation of Smashers talk trash about the newer generation of Super Smash Bros. I can't honor them all, but I can honor those who played and enjoyed it! played competitively but still enjoyed having fun! I just wish some Melee players would understand that Super Smash Bros. Is a series, there isis Super Smash Bros. For N64, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. For 3DS and WiiU! Not just one game in the series. That's why I don't like just saying "Smash 64" "Melee" "Brawl" or "Smash 4". It sounds like I am trying to seperate them all! Make each of them their own game

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
Edit post- I'm just going to walk away from what I was addressing before. This isn't the thread for this.

This is a very cool thing to see happening. I'm very proud of the work being put in by you guys to document this.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Congratulations to Last Stock Legends for hitting their $6,200 goal with days to spare! This is really going to happen now! Get hyped guys. Also I broke the $6,500 barrier lol.
_20150612_195836.JPG

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Now all we need is last stock legends project m edition
Project M is pretty new; that means most of, if not all of, Project M's great moments are already available online. LSL is mostly about old moments that aren't indexed anywhere. In PM if something memorable happens, it's going to be on twitch and youtube, and people will be waiting in line to interview the players. LSL wants to bring that same sort of coverage to old Melee lore.

tl;dr: you don't need a LSL for PM because you're currently living in the moments that would be highlighted in a PM edition. You can just follow events as they unfold. Which is a good thing IMO.

Maybe there could be something similarish, but it's not really the same thing when we're talking PM history.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Better version of Melee.
Doesn't have Pichu.
I have a theory that Sm4sh will only include Melee veterans that have been added to Project M through the cloning engine. First it was Mewtwo, now it's been completed with the addition of Roy (forever our boy). So your only hope for saving your measly Pichu is if it's somehow included in the cloning engine. Trust me my dad is nintendo.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I have a theory that Sm4sh will only include Melee veterans that have been added to Project M through the cloning engine. First it was Mewtwo, now it's been completed with the addition of Roy (forever our boy). So your only hope for saving your measly Pichu is if it's somehow included in the cloning engine. Trust me my dad is nintendo.
Nah I'm just joking around, I'd demand an investigation if Pichu somehow got included instead of adding something that would actually do something.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
^^
Agreed. I just really wanted to make that cloning engine joke though :p

Top Bottom