• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why isn't Whu Island, Pilot Wings, Skyloft or Mario Circuit Legal?

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Why isn't Whu Island, Pilot Wings, Skyloft, or Mario Circuit Legal?

They all seem like potential Counterpicks. I know that Pilot Wings can be camped on a bit and tilts like lylat, I know there are walkoffs, and I know Mario Circuit has hazards, but several legal stages do too such as Halberd with it's easily avoidable hazards, and Delfino and Castle siege with their walkoffs.

Also PS2 seems a lot better in this game. Treadmills seem weaker on electric and there aren't dedede's wall infinites on ground. Combine that with Metaknight not being able to carry people to the top blast zone super easy and I don't see why this stage shouldn't get the chance to be dusted off.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Wuhu Island has a handful of phases that could interrupt the flow of the battle, such as the bridge (for uneven terrain), the fountain (walkoff) and the ski race section (has water below). As well as a glitch that can become an insta kill on the boat section.
Skyloft has something similar with some of it's sections too, though at a lesser degree. I agree that they could be potential counterpicks, but there's no denying that both are more hazardous than either Halberd, Delfino or Castle Siege.
Mario circuit would be just fine if it wasn't for the many walls that appear, wich people can abuse to tech off them and live up to ridiculous percents, also the shy guys.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I dunno I find Skyloft just as viable as the Brawl CP Trio. In fact it's arguably better than Castle Seige at the least.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Castle Seige, Halberd, and Delfino also have walkoffs.
Who knows why any of these stages are still legal.

People wanna complain about jank moves and characters but pick stages like Halberd and CS. Same dudes who probably still want an unbanned Rainbow Cruise.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
In all of these stages, there's moments where a random piece of the background flies a little bit too close to the stage, and can easily kill a player nearly instantly depending on percentage with absolutely no warning. Completely unavoidable.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Pilotwings actually used to be legal before in a couple regions, but it turned out to be pretty gross in practice. The stage tilts like Lylat Cruise, except on more radical angles and completely destroyed some recoveries. The red plane has the lower wings as well, which are very easy to camp under. Then there's the bridge.

Skyloft has parts where you get hit with the island while the stage is travelling, but they won't KO you until you're at KO percentage anyways. I've seen that they can actually save you in some instances. Here's a video by @Krysco exploring all parts of the stage that can hit you and other odd things: https://youtu.be/OHn2_IaaG7I
I think the stage is fine, imo. Some odd bugs and pass-through spots, but nothing game-breaking.

Mario Circuit is not likely to be legal due to the Shy Guy hazards being quite powerful. Also unlike Skyloft, there's a spot with a glitch that KO's off the top at any percentage: https://youtu.be/-swKdo3QbDA
But even if they fixed this, the shy guy karts are still powerful, they each deal about 10% damage and aren't easy to avoid in some spots. This is a stage I really liked when I started up the game, but I don't think it's fit for competitive play.

Wuhu has more of a chance. The only big problem right now is the insta KO down-throw glitch with the boat:
https://youtu.be/4QxlgTNqNd8
If that were to be fixed in a patch though, the stage would be much better. The only other hazard it has is a balloon in the cliff that pops for damage, but it's very easily avoided.

All this information is thanks to @ParanoidDrone and you should check out his threads over here:
http://smashboards.com/forums/wii-u-3ds-smash-academy.514/

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I quite like Wuhu Island and Skyloft and support them for tourney viability. Nothing particularly obscene about them, to my mind.

Pilotwings promotes circle-camping (or just camping in general) and Mario Circuit, as I recall, has a low ceiling that can net insta-kills for characters like Charizard and Kirby. I don't mind them myself, but I can see how that would cause issues.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
In all of these stages, there's moments where a random piece of the background flies a little bit too close to the stage, and can easily kill a player nearly instantly depending on percentage with absolutely no warning. Completely unavoidable.
Completely predictable (by transformation, and also if you look for the cliff flying toward your face) and require you to be high up offstage, not a good position to begin with (more specifically in Skyloft and Wuhu).

Unrelated to quote and reply, temporary walkoffs aren't an issue, only permanent ones. Opinions will certainly vary on Mario Circuit 8, but I've never been hit by a shy guy there, and never succeeded in throwing my friends into them, either. The only issue we've run into is that temporarily the entire stage (during the 0-g zone) is a cave of life to all but nearly-pure horizontal kills. We still play it, but it's more justifiably bannable than Skyloft or Wuhu.

But Pilotwings is definitely deserving of the banhammer. Just stand on one of the yellow plane's pontoons, you're unapproachable until the transition. It's like Stadium 1 but worse, since not even its "neutral" form (whichever that is) is any good.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wuhu and Slyloft: Legal issues with all music tracks. They have a "super-ban" because of this; they can't even be chosen via Gentleman's Clause, and their Ω forms are banned, too.

Pilotwings: Vertical walls and tilting.

Mario Circuit 8: The "track" is more like a "wall". It invariably makes matches take way longer than they should by stopping KO after KO.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Wuhu and Slyloft: Legal issues with all music tracks. They have a "super-ban" because of this; they can't even be chosen via Gentleman's Clause, and their Ω forms are banned, too.

Pilotwings: Vertical walls and tilting.

Mario Circuit 8: The "track" is more like a "wall". It invariably makes matches take way longer than they should by stopping KO after KO.
The Skyloft + Wuhu ban (+ all other stages ban) is only for Evo. Any other tournament can choose to run whatever stages and omegas they want (I've heard they're technically supposed to seek copyright anyways, but it's also doubtful that anyone would pursue legal action unless the tournament is very big, like EVO).

Ironic how Omega Versions were meant to give competitive players a chance to enjoy all the visuals and music the game has to offer, yet they can't be used at major tournaments because of isues with music. Nintendo will never cease to amaze me in more ways than one...

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Skyloft + Wuhu ban (+ all other stages ban) is only for Evo. Any other tournament can choose to run whatever stages and omegas they want (I've heard they're technically supposed to seek copyright anyways, but it's also doubtful that anyone would pursue legal action unless the tournament is very big, like EVO).

Ironic how Omega Versions were meant to give competitive players a chance to enjoy all the visuals and music the game has to offer, yet they can't be used at major tournaments because of isues with music. Nintendo will never cease to amaze me in more ways than one...
You know it will carry over for the sake of a uniform ruleset, if not now then sometime soon.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You know it will carry over for the sake of a uniform ruleset, if not now then sometime soon.
I truly hope this isn't the case, but if it does, we can also always play our own tunes while the game's going on.

Jeeble

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeeble
3DS FC
4227-0772-2000
If we're on the topic of Pilotwing's legality

My monthly actually stopped making this a legal stage after the TO's saw this.

Top Bottom