• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isn't there a separate button for short-hopping and normal jumping?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
the only time i accidently full hop when i intended to short hop is in lagfi...

but...its freaking lagfi lol....
^ This... This this this!

That aside, short-hops are not very difficult, and sure some may accidentally full-hop when they wanted to short-hop, it isn't a common mistake when you've played the game enough. Give it time, and you'll get used to short-hopping.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
want eaasier shorthops?
guranteed?

the secret is (drumroll please):

practice...it becomes incredibly easy to short hop with very little practice (compared to stuff in m elee that I've practiced LOL).

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
People... Something I've read in this thread several times is complaints that short-hops aren't hard. Let's get some facts straight, ok?
A player can be good, and can press several buttons rather fast. However, a short-hop needs one to press a button and let go in fast succession. This is pure truth: While most Smash players out there find short-hopping to be rather easy, there are still A LOT of players that aren't that good at doing it, even if they are good players otherwise. I don't disagree that practice is probably the best answer, but one can't just say that short-hopping is easy. To some players, it may just be natural to let go off a button really fast, while to others, it's quite hard.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
People... Something I've read in this thread several times is complaints that short-hops aren't hard. Let's get some facts straight, ok?
A player can be good, and can press several buttons rather fast. However, a short-hop needs one to press a button and let go in fast succession. This is pure truth: While most Smash players out there find short-hopping to be rather easy, there are still A LOT of players that aren't that good at doing it, even if they are good players otherwise. I don't disagree that practice is probably the best answer, but one can't just say that short-hopping is easy. To some players, it may just be natural to let go off a button really fast, while to others, it's quite hard.
I already explained a method that makes it easy to do it for even characters like Fox.

There are also different methods of short hopping. There's tapping, which I find harder to do. And personally, I just slide my thumb off the X button for best results.
Meaning all you have to do theoretically (theoretically meaning, even if you usually use the Y button, this method should work) if you want to short hop is hit the tip of the X button and then slide your finger off of it. The only things that can deter you from getting this are not knowing enough where the X button is or if you have a legitimate disability that prevents you from moving your fingers fast, in which you probably won't be able to do a lot of other things as well.

I'll simply assume that if you respond to this by saying it's still difficult, then you either haven't read the small paragraph above or you haven't actually tried this method.*

*Note: Trying this method means more than just trying it once and saying, "Oh well, I usually use the Y button, so it didn't work on the first try. It worked on the second try, but I'm going to try to argue against it anyways."

But seriously, try it before you complain about short hopping.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
Hey, note that I can short hop rather well in a regular Brawl match. Still, what I said is still up: there are people who find it hard. There might be tons of strategies out there, and most people just need to try. Still, I don't think I'll see myself short hopping with Fox in Melee in the near future. Though I can't be quite bothered with that right now. I haven't touched Melee in a while.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Actually, it's not better in Brawl, the window of time is just larger because of how much slower the game is. It works the same. But short hip is extremely easy, except for maybe Fox. Learn to tap X or Y and let it go fast. Practice, and you'll get the timing. Practice at first alone, then use in matches.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Actually, it's not better in Brawl, the window of time is just larger because of how much slower the game is. It works the same. But short hip is extremely easy, except for maybe Fox. Learn to tap X or Y and let it go fast. Practice, and you'll get the timing. Practice at first alone, then use in matches.
Short hopping is still easy as Fox. It's basic tech skill, like L-Cancelling. It's harder and easier for everyone, so what. Just learn it.

Top Bottom