• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is young link low tier?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Dood. I highly disagree with you. But whatever..its all just opinions.
Im coming out with a bunch of videos soon, so just watch those and hopefully your mind will be changed about his edge guarding.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Well. I don't really like going into long drawn out arguments over the internet. Neither do I like explaining things in detail like that for no reason. :\

Whatever.
Young Link > Bowser.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well you are putting yourself into an argument, but johning your way out by saying "I dun like da informachun givin combo"

who said i thought bowser was better than ylink? ylink is leagues better than bowser lol

strider43

Smash Journeyman
If Ylink is low tier then just play someone with Ylink first, smile politely when they 4 stock you and pick falco to **** THE ****ING **** OUT OF THE MOTHER ****ER ***** SUCKING DUCK MUCKER!!!!!11111

Sorry if im being blunt, but young link IS low tier, and the reason falco and fox are really the best is because they have advantages over EVERY character, including each other.

Fox > Falco
Falco > Fox

Young link has potential, but it doesn't take a lot of effort for some characters to whoop over others.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Oh, but Falco > YL, and that's a fact.

Anyways, entering the discussion... I can't understand some posts I've seen on this topic. Maybe when I found YL it suited me soooo nicely I saw many things I'd not seen on other chars, but I disagree with...

- Kill with YL: 5 reasons: nair, uair, dair, dsmash, fsmash (2nd one). So far, 5 movements to kill. Normally I kill with dsmash, but in 10 kills I've used all of them... I don't see why he can't kill

With more time I'll post more, no time now :p

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
man, what i can say is that, he dosnt have really good KO moves, so thats y i think is low tier man, but that dosnt matter, try to use him in any kind of tournament, if u beat somebady with it, lol, ur nice jeje..

Bane

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about that, what I meant to post was:

Actually Young Link doesn't have a 0-death death combo with his dairs LOL.
You've never done the triple d-air to up-air combo? ;)

I'm sure maybe you could get a 0-death death combo with a finishing dair...... somehow, but it's not the only way to get one. In fact you're probably never going to get a 0-death death combo unless the people you play don't know how to DI you're attacks, that and Young Link really has no 0-death death combo potential.
That's what I meant, a combo leading into a d-air can be done, but it's VERY RARE, and situational. Y. Link can rarely do it, I'm not saying I use it competitively, but it can be done, others can 0-death better and reliably.

Young Link isn't low tier because he can't do a 0-death combos on a regular basis. It's because most players that use Young Link don't place very good in tourneys, according to the tier list that is.
Again, I fail to see how this differs from what I said.

Y. Link has a decent edgegame, but he's got nothing on the wall of pain, or shinespiking... or falco's d-air... or Bowsers b-air for that matter.

Y. Link isn't great, there are worse, but those who are above him are better. Y. Link is passable, and I play him in such a way that it doesn't bother me much, but I never lose sight of what I'm actually dealing with.

Chip.

you know what to do
he is easy to edgegaurd, easy to kill in general, side or top either way he dies at low %
He's not easy to edgeguard. He isn't the hardest charachter to edgeguard but he surely isn't easy. His upB spin recovery has extensive range that usually keeps all close-ranged attacking opponents away from him and can cut through most projectiled attacks from his opponents. His secondary recovery is from his hookshot which can allow faster recoveries and better verticle recovery overall as well. Please mention how he is easy to edgeguard.

Also, he is easier to kill than some charachters but with a strong defensive game (which is superb with Young Link) and great DI Young Link can most often live to about 135-150%, which isn't that bad. Sometimes when the battle is really smiling towards your favor you can live up to 180% (it has happened).

when i say he is weak i mean generally speaking he has low knockback moves, which IS true, his moves generally speaking dont deal a lot of knockback, but aren't at that knockback where its easy to combo out of, basically he's got that awkward in between knockback that characters like kirby suffer from, luckily for you ylink players, he's a heckuvalot faster than kirby and can SORT of manage to combo (but not into anything very effective XD)
LOL, Young Link is nothing like Kirby

Yes, name a kill move with Young Link that has low knockback, pleaze. You've never mentioned a good kill move with Young Link that has poor knockback, so please do tell. Young Link has some great combos up his belt which CAN be finished with a great kill move. For example, there is a bair->reverse D-smash or a simple bomb->nair combo (I know there are far more elaborate combos, but these are some no brainers off the top of my head).

Not "SORT of", Young Link has great combos on him that are COMBOS and are/can be effective. Basically, all projectiles lead up to melee attacks. Any melee attack that is a combo starter (i.e. a simple one is u-tilt but there are more) then string the combo together with either more projectiles or SHFFLs, and then finish the opponent off with a finisher (d-smash, f-tilt, nair, dair, etc.) <<<-- this is merely combos that come almost naturally with his flow of battle. This is charachter dependent, but Young Link is very adaptive in situations and will find a combo that works on every charachter.

its hard to kill with ylink because its hard to combo into his kill moves
How?

every time you get a kill you had to mindgame into it basically
100% false

he's got pretty par edgeguarding ability vs most characters in teh game, meaning he isn't too hard to recover against, and he isnt' giong to kill you off the top with anything but dair at any kind of reasonable percent.
Tht's completely wrong. Young Link (&Link) probably both have the most Edgeguarding oppurtunities in the game. How is he easy to recover against when there are 3-4 projectiles flying at you and disrupting your recovery? Some few charachters have strange hitboxes in their movement or prioritized/long ranged upBs (i.e. Sheik or Link) but projectiles can screw over quite a lot of charachters in the game (Peach, Samus, Ganon, Falcon, Fox, Falco, a tad Marth, etc.). Then, if you ever do pass by his armada, he is patiently waiting with an edgeguarding attack to finish you off (d-smash, f-tilt, nair, d-tilt, etc.). There are TONS of other more ways to edgeguard but you get the gist.

Dair kills most charachters, on average, around 100-120% mark which, IMO, is quite reasonable.

you aren't just dairing to your hearts content obviously, thats not what i'm saying... mindgaming into that "first hit" (meaning either a combo starter, or a finsher that wasn't combod into, or whatever, i'm sure you know what i mean) can be somewhat tricky
You don't have to mindgame in order to get a free dair and it could be tricky if you decided to do so. Young Link has an auto-dair combo (I call it the Bomb Plant Combo) which is a simple bomb->dair. The beauty of the attack is that at around 110ish-130% (for varying charachters) it is an almost inavoidable finishing combo and is VERY effective on charachters (esp. floaties like Peach or Marth).

You don't have to mindgame into this dair because it comes through spam. You don't need mindgame in order to hit an opponent with your projectiles, because it comes through good spacing. Trust me, I would know, I don't need to trick/mindgame in order to hit my opponent with a bomb. And while although it's SLIGHTLY charachter dependent, there is still no logical reason to ALWAYS mindgame and trick the opponent to hit with my projectiles.

ylink DOES have the projectile setups, but generally speaking those are avoidable, his lack of range of his actually melee and damaging attacks is what makes him suffer
I fail to see how are his projectiles "avoidable" if he is spamming and spacing you the whole time? I mean, yes you CAN avoid them sometimes, but projectiles always hit eventually and follow up with a melee combo almost always.

With his sword, Young Link does have some range and disjointed hitboxes with it, I know it's more like a dagger, but it's still a tiny bit disjointed, I think >_>. Melee attacks also don't (do not) make him suffer. His melee range is fine with some at least decent spacing with them like jabs, f-tilt, fair, etc.

i say he has a few good matchups because he does have a few good matchups, generally speaking ylink does well vs what? peach and ganon?
Actually Ganon destroys Young Link

Only on big stages can the matchup be even.

Same wit Meurth

he certainly doesn't do very well vs fox/falco/sheik/cf/iceys/samus/marth
Fox is only a counter to Young Link when he plays REALLY fast and doesn't give YLink time to breath. Otherwise, Fox isn't a hard matchup.

Falco doesn't really counter Young Link too much. He is moreso a bad matchup to him. I mean, what does he have on Young Link that he doesn't have on anyone else? In fact, I'd say Young Link doesn't do as bad as the average charachter countered by Falco would. Falco's SHB eats up Young Link, but he at least has some chance with some smart spacing and spamming of his own. That, and Falco's recovery sucks.

Falcon only has a small advantage over Young Link. With the right amount of projectile dosage and aggressive play with melee combat, you can really even up the matchup along with exploiting Falcon's easy-to-kill recovery.

Young Link and IC's are dead even so I don't know where in the world you got that from. It's the spammer vs the grabber and while although there are wobbles, Young Link has awesome spacing against these two to keep them at bay with his projectiles.

Young Link annhilates Samus. YL projectiles >>>>>>>> Samus proj.

That and projectiles really kill her bomb recovery

You didn't do your Ylink matchup homework did you? Your losing more of your crediblity on this discussion with statements like 'Samus countering Young Link', or 'YLink doing good against Ganon'. Ha ha, too good.

LOL @ ylink's edge game being one of the best
What I THINK he meant to say is Young Link being one of the most versatile Edgeguarders in the game, which IS true. He has multiple techniques and attributes with his projectiles and kill moves that could make waste of many charachters recoveries.

That isn't a 0-death combo.

That's what I meant, a combo leading into a d-air can be done, but it's VERY RARE, and situational. Y. Link can rarely do it, I'm not saying I use it competitively, but it can be done, others can 0-death better and reliably.
A combo leading into a Dair is simple- Bomb-> Dair combo >_>

That doesn't mean it's rare or situational and it should be used competitevely. LOL, that is if you want to win more. Bomb Plant is a good finishing dair combo and should be implemented and used whenever the you pull off the first hit when they're at high %'s.

Again, I fail to see how this differs from what I said.
No you said that Young Link is low tier BECAUSE he can't do 0-death combos on a regular basis and I disagreed with you and told you that's completely wrong and the real reason why he's low tier with what I said in my post about bad tournament performance, and that doesn't come from a lack of 0-death combos.

Again, like I said, I'm not saying Young Link is a great charachter and is NOWHERE near that level. But he definetely isn't terrible OR bad for the overall case. I say he's at best a little above or around the average mark. He counters or has good matchups with every charachter in the game save the select few. I'm talking about some higher tiered charachters and a couple of mid tierers as well. Since these are his only counters, and they are found quite a lot most often in tournament play, THAT's why he usually does poor and generally sucks in tournaments. But I mean, he has great approaches, some at least fine combos, good KO potential, he's probably got the 2nd best spam in the entire game, and a very versitile and adaptive playing style, etc. don't say he isn't good. His fallbacks like light weight, no gimping, high tier counter matchups, etc. do impair him quite a bit though. But, overall, I would at least say he is good/ average if you know how to use him correctly.

MORE importantly..

yes, I accept Boozer Ylink mm.

Aww, Gimpy, c'mon. Can we have a 5$ Sheik vs Ylink along wit 5$ ganon vs Ylink? I haven't played a good Sheik for a awhile and good ganons are sparse in Eastern Washington, cept maybe Deva. pleeeeeaze?

D20

Smash Lord
I dunno about YL's fox match up... I have never won a tournament set against a Fox main. Fox is simply too fast. It is, IMO, YL's worst match up (I give YL about a 10% chance). This alone makes YL's spot on the tier list drop. Falco and Samus have slight advantages.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Fox is only a counter to Young Link when he plays REALLY fast and doesn't give YLink time to breath. Otherwise, Fox isn't a hard matchup.
Translation: Fox only counters Young Link if Fox knows how to play. In the case of a Fox that doesn't know what he's doing, feel free to play any character you think looks fun at the moment, because does it really matter at that point?

Chip.

you know what to do
Translation: Fox only counters Young Link if Fox knows how to play. In the case of a Fox that doesn't know what he's doing, feel free to play any character you think looks fun at the moment, because does it really matter at that point?
Basically yes, Fox counters him almost all the time, but there are slower paced Foxes who can play still very well....... like Masashi >_> I guess

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
He'd still be able to **** most, if not all Young Link players... But he's probably a better player than most yl's anyway, so what would you expect?

Laijin

Smash Hero
wtf. Fox is definantly NOT a counter for Young Link. Even if the person is super fast with Fox and mains him and all..he still not that hard to beat. Fox has trouble killing Young Link since:
A. He can't waveshine
B. Its super simple to avoid being shined off the stage while recovering
C. His u-airs rarely ever sweetspot.

Fox does not counter Young Link. If anything i'd say the match up was even or leaning towards YL's favor. As long as the YL is playing correctly and all.

Falco on the other hand is a direct counter to YL and is a completly different match up.
Shiek has an advantage as well, but not much.
So does Marth on smaller stages and Ganondorf.

Tera253

Smash Ace
are yo serious?

the only KOing ability in Young Link comes from edgeguarding.
he has no KO move, not even his dair, until at least 125%
(closer to 150% with Ganny or B00zer)
all Fox has to do is SDHL and waveshine.

Fox has quick and eay KO moves at his disposal, and considering YLink's weight, there's little problem there.

~Tera253~

Laijin

Smash Hero
From my experience, Foxes are for some reason frequently unable to sweetspot u-airs against YL. I dunno if its the way im DI-ing or what, but every single fox that I have played have encountered the same problem when they try to u-air me.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
young link is just that: young. He is inexperienced in the world of fighting where the other characters have been soaking the salty brine of warfare that has seasoned them for the battle. Also, young link doesn't have the right to vote.

I don't play young link, his attacks are irritatingly slow . Low tier seems to be where he belongs. Sorry.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lol most of these guys are people who
1.) dont play young link on a competive level.
2.) dont main Ylink and/or havnt gone in deep aspect of Ylink
3.) just play Ylink for fun

Ylink is far from slow, i hear all the time from people that ylink is irritatingly speedy. noone will be able to reach u if u know how to protect urself with projectiles. sometimes u wont have any time to bring out any projectiles so learn to combo

anyway, Ylink is still low tier either way, but he isnt as bad as people think he is.
My friends will say, "LOL @ Ylink, u cant win anything with him" yet i still 4stock them.
Young Link still has potential to win though.

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
no...i called him slow is because i use tilts a lot with every character...and i feel really sluggish when i start doing them with Ylink....

Bane

Smash Journeyman
That isn't a 0-death combo.
I was joking, I see my feeble attempt at homor has failed miserably. You're right though, your opponent needs decent endurance for the combo to work, which doesn't allow them to be K-Oed by it.

A combo leading into a Dair is simple- Bomb-> Dair combo >_>
True, but I was still talking about 0-death combos. A full inescapable combo that racks up sufficient damage is VERY rare.

No you said that Young Link is low tier BECAUSE he can't do 0-death combos on a regular basis and I disagreed with you and told you that's completely wrong and the real reason why he's low tier with what I said in my post about bad tournament performance, and that doesn't come from a lack of 0-death combos.
True, but he would fare better in tourneys if he did have a consistent 0-death combo now wouldn't he ;)

If he's low tier because he does poorly in tournaments, then why DOES he doo poorly in tournies?

...because he lacks the KO abilities or stamina, or both of those, of the other characters above him.

Again, like I said, I'm not saying Young Link is a great charachter and is NOWHERE near that level. But he definetely isn't terrible OR bad for the overall case. I say he's at best a little above or around the average mark. He counters or has good matchups with every charachter in the game save the select few. I'm talking about some higher tiered charachters and a couple of mid tierers as well. Since these are his only counters, and they are found quite a lot most often in tournament play, THAT's why he usually does poor and generally sucks in tournaments. But I mean, he has great approaches, some at least fine combos, good KO potential, he's probably got the 2nd best spam in the entire game, and a very versitile and adaptive playing style, etc. don't say he isn't good. His fallbacks like light weight, no gimping, high tier counter matchups, etc. do impair him quite a bit though. But, overall, I would at least say he is good/ average if you know how to use him correctly.
Ultimately though, semantics aside, that's what I meant. He's not unusable, but other's are better, therfore fare better in tourneys, therefore other smashers look down upon his capabilities, therfore he is low tier. He might be a place or two higher, but that's just a matter of opinion really, I think he's just about where he belongs myself.

Though I would say his spam is actually best. Shorhop laser is great, but Y. Link is what he is because of spam. For damage, acuracy and versitilty, all in all, I'd give it to the Y. Link.

lol most of these guys are people who
1.) dont play young link on a competive level.
2.) dont main Ylink and/or havnt gone in deep aspect of Ylink
3.) just play Ylink for fun

Ylink is far from slow, i hear all the time from people that ylink is irritatingly speedy. noone will be able to reach u if u know how to protect urself with projectiles. sometimes u wont have any time to bring out any projectiles so learn to combo

anyway, Ylink is still low tier either way, but he isnt as bad as people think he is.
My friends will say, "LOL @ Ylink, u cant win anything with him" yet i still 4stock them.
Young Link still has potential to win though.
*Rampant Applause*

Chip.

you know what to do
He'd still be able to **** most, if not all Young Link players
That isn't necassarily true, the only reason Fox has the ability to counter Young Link is playing so fast and applies so much pressure on Young Link that it becomes hard to breath. When Fox does lots of arials, shine combos, and plenty of upsmash/uair finishers, it's really hard for Young Link to get out projectiles and keep up a good defense. I mean, I don't think a fast fox makes the matchup impossible, just difficult.

Still, it's not quite as cold as the Link vs Fox matchup LOLs

But he's probably a better player than most yl's anyway, so what would you expect?
Who's "he" specifically? Are you refering to this annonymous player or Fox himself?

I understand what you're trying to say, but generally the Young Link should exploit the advantage that the Fox doesn't play any good Young Links (since they are so sparse). So I would expect the Young Link taking the most advantage of the situation.

I was joking, I see my feeble attempt at homor has failed miserably. You're right though, your opponent needs decent endurance for the combo to work, which doesn't allow them to be K-Oed by it.
Yes, it was a feeble attempt, especially if you would take into consideration and pay attention where you currently stand. You're in a debate. Don't make silly jokes if you're seriously going to try and argue with me in the middle of this debate. If you are going to kid, then insert something like |>sarcasm| at the end of your sentence ok? You were obviously wrong in trying to make up a 0-death combo that is IN DEPTH and explains step-by-step how this combo goes and then finishes soley with a dair. You probably just did some random combo on a computer dummie in training mode and thought it was an actual combo that could ACTUALLY be used in a real battle.

True, but I was still talking about 0-death combos. A full inescapable combo that racks up sufficient damage is VERY rare.
Yes, but you only mentioned a "dair combo" not "0-death dair combo" in your post. There's a difference. Don't make your posts sound ambiguous like that.

A full inescapable combo is rare and I recall saying that with -"Young Link doesn't really have any 0-death combo potential", k?

And I ask you a question, Bane, WHY does this 0-death yet so VERY rare combo HAVE to finish off with a dair? It can be finished off with any other kill attack if you combo it differently. I just don't understand why you're saying you HAVE to use dair.

If he's low tier because he does poorly in tournaments, then why DOES he doo poorly in tournies?

...because he lacks the KO abilities or stamina, or both of those, of the other characters above him.
If you read the post/understand it, I say that he does poorly in tourneys because he gets his butt kicked by the most common charachters found in tournament play: the higher tierers aka his counters. If you want to go into detail on how these charachters counter him, then give me a PM or something asking the question if you want. I don't want to make this post any longer than it is though.

Ultimately though, semantics aside, that's what I meant. He's not unusable, but other's are better, therfore fare better in tourneys, therefore other smashers look down upon his capabilities, therfore he is low tier. He might be a place or two higher, but that's just a matter of opinion really, I think he's just about where he belongs myself.
See, you shouldn't debate with me if we both have the almost identical ideal of this charachter. I, personally, don't really care for his position in the tier list. It would be hard for more Young Link players to place higher in tournament play and bump him up higher on teh list. If we were going by charachter matchups/potential I would say either high low tier or low mid tier.

Though I would say his spam is actually best. Shorhop laser is great, but Y. Link is what he is because of spam. For damage, acuracy and versitilty, all in all, I'd give it to the Y. Link.
It really depends on how you see the effectiveness between the two's spam game. I agree with you on Young Link's spam. In terms of damage, quantity, accuracy, etc. all go lean towards Young Link. He does have the most versatility with his projectiles and possesses the most projectiles as well. But, actually SHB is, IMO, not only one of the ultimate projectiles, but it's also the best offensive approach in the game. I mean, Falco's SHB can screw practically every charachter in the game because of it's speed, offense, and it's ability to control the match really well. All in all, they're (projectiles) both effective and both are used efficiently with those respective charachters and their playstyle. Falco's is better when merged in with his close-up game and allow him to dominate. Young Link's is the same idea, but with completely different moves, strategies and ultimately isn't as effective as Falco's. I hope that sounds clear XP

LOL, umm Gimpy yeah you do >_>

I don't know if you use Sheik or Ganon competitively anymore, but I want some friendlies wit tem bra.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it was a feeble attempt, especially if you would take into consideration and pay attention where you currently stand. You're in a debate. Don't make silly jokes if you're seriously going to try and argue with me in the middle of this debate. If you are going to kid, then insert something like |>sarcasm| at the end of your sentence ok? You were obviously wrong in trying to make up a 0-death combo that is IN DEPTH and explains step-by-step how this combo goes and then finishes soley with a dair. You probably just did some random combo on a computer dummie in training mode and thought it was an actual combo that could ACTUALLY be used in a real battle.
Sigh... I'm sorry, alright. I thought that the winking smiley make that point evident, but I suppose I could be a bit more blunt. i suppose it's jsut my tendency to be a bit dry, It's my fault, not yours that you didn't understand.
You are also right that it's not practical, howevert it is possible. I'm sure you're aware that it is possible to hit an opponent multiple times with a d-air, so, so when that happens for a total of two blows, immediately after the second blow, your d-air has to run out, and before they fly off upwards, you pull out an up-air which catches the opponent on the way up, sending them further. I have done this once in a match, but (as I already said) it can only be done on a high stamina opponent at low damage, making a KO from it impossible, because otherwise they fly off on the first blow. I have done it in a match against a ganandorf, (who nearly crapped himself whwn it happened) but you're right, it isn't valid because you cant CHOOSE to do it, it's the result of a perfect moment when all the stars align perfectly.

Yes, but you only mentioned a "dair combo" not "0-death dair combo" in your post. There's a difference. Don't make your posts sound ambiguous like that.
What do you want from me? Explanatary footnotes1.
That statement was a direct response to a quote from you, wherin discussion was made towards the 0-death combo with d-air, when you quoted me, it cut out what you said, making my comment which was directed towards that combo out of context and then YOU misunderstood ME. Not my fault.

And I ask you a question, Bane, WHY does this 0-death yet so VERY rare combo HAVE to finish off with a dair? It can be finished off with any other kill attack if you combo it differently. I just don't understand why you're saying you HAVE to use dair.
When did I say that it did? D-air was an EXAMPLE of a good combo finisher that works at low damage. Combo's can also finish in a d-smash when they comedown and you're grounded or a good repeated boot to the face, but those are dependant on the map or being near the edge of a map. I was just using it as an example it's abit wordy to discuss every option at every juncture, so I assumed it as an example. Sue me.

If you read the post/understand it, I say that he does poorly in tourneys because he gets his butt kicked by the most common charachters found in tournament play: the higher tierers aka his counters.
I understand that many high tierers counter Y. Link but few other middle tier characters fair much better vs. the higher tiers, not enough to blame his low tier status on them by anymeans.

See, you shouldn't debate with me if we both have the almost identical ideal of this charachter.
I didn't try to debate you, you corrected me with an arument with no contrary content. I pointed that out. Not my fault.

It really depends on how you see the effectiveness between the two's spam game. I agree with you on Young Link's spam. In terms of damage, quantity, accuracy, etc. all go lean towards Young Link. He does have the most versatility with his projectiles and possesses the most projectiles as well. But, actually SHB is, IMO, not only one of the ultimate projectiles, but it's also the best offensive approach in the game. I mean, Falco's SHB can screw practically every charachter in the game because of it's speed, offense, and it's ability to control the match really well. All in all, they're (projectiles) both effective and both are used efficiently with those respective charachters and their playstyle. Falco's is better when merged in with his close-up game and allow him to dominate. Young Link's is the same idea, but with completely different moves, strategies and ultimately isn't as effective as Falco's. I hope that sounds clear XP
As an offensive strategy, sh-laser is worlds better, but Y. Link's projectiles can be used aggresively and defensively which makes them better (in my eyes at least.)

There, if there are any other monor details just pm me, because I have a feeling this argument stems moreso from confusion then an actual productive debate of the issues

Chip.

you know what to do
Sigh... I'm sorry, alright. I thought that the winking smiley make that point evident, but I suppose I could be a bit more blunt. i suppose it's jsut my tendency to be a bit dry, It's my fault, not yours that you didn't understand.
Again, just as another reminder, don't joke if you want to debate. I mean, you can if you want, but it has to be obvious sarcasm when you bring it up. When you're breaking up my post, anyone would assume that you were trying to tell me the 0-death combo since that was how it was quoted. Obviously, the winky face made your statement appear to look as though you were notifying me of this 'new combo that I may of not seen before'. So note-to-yourself that the winky face DOESN'T make your statement a sure-fire joke.

Why would you want to make a silly joke during this debate anyway? You are trying to argue with me, and when I completely disprove you wrong about a setup 0-death dair combo, you suddenly give a joke instead? I'm confused.

You are also right that it's not practical, howevert it is possible. I'm sure you're aware that it is possible to hit an opponent multiple times with a d-air, so, so when that happens for a total of two blows, immediately after the second blow, your d-air has to run out, and before they fly off upwards, you pull out an up-air which catches the opponent on the way up, sending them further. I have done this once in a match, but (as I already said) it can only be done on a high stamina opponent at low damage, making a KO from it impossible, because otherwise they fly off on the first blow. I have done it in a match against a ganandorf, (who nearly crapped himself whwn it happened) but you're right, it isn't valid because you cant CHOOSE to do it, it's the result of a perfect moment when all the stars align perfectly.
Oh, ok, so you're just proving yourself wrong that it is a completely, utterly useless combo that will almost never work unless the high demanding circumstances are met: your opponent doesn't know how to DI properly, the opponent also has to be a slow sluggish charachter, and the player must not be paying attention and has to get by flying random dairs. Which was exactly what I thought. It's a horrible combo, and I congradulate you on accomadating your mistake of making the joke and realizing it was a bad mistake to do so. So, like mentioned above, let's not have anymore jokes unless it's pointed out to be one obviously :p.

What do you want from me? Explanatary footnotes1.
That statement was a direct response to a quote from you, wherin discussion was made towards the 0-death combo with d-air, when you quoted me, it cut out what you said, making my comment which was directed towards that combo out of context and then YOU misunderstood ME. Not my fault.
OK, but it was in that post you said a simple "dair combo". Just mention 0-death dair combo from now on in your posts whenever you say it. It reduces chance of misleadings in this discussion, especially when I'm argueing with 3 different people at a time, it's sometimes hard to keep track. Don't get me wrong, I'm not johning or anything. I take responsiblity for that minor error of mine.

When did I say that it did? D-air was an EXAMPLE of a good combo finisher that works at low damage. Combo's can also finish in a d-smash when they comedown and you're grounded or a good repeated boot to the face, but those are dependant on the map or being near the edge of a map. I was just using it as an example it's abit wordy to discuss every option at every juncture, so I assumed it as an example. Sue me.

I'm pretty sure you should think more before you post. It'll help you a lot from saying something like this:

Broad, but right, I can list positive attributes of Y. Link as well, but the reason we can list them is because we've played as him enough to weed out many of his weaknesses, and focus on what works for us. Those tactics are the good amoung the bad, and aren't better then those of any character above him. Y. Link isn't the worst, but he's not great, and it's exactly for the reasons you listed. You can nail someone with a ridiculous combo of nearly everymove every move in your repetoire and they can still come back and kill you in just a few moves.

His only 0-death death combos are into d-airs,

Wow, you just contradicted yourself, big time. Nice job. There was ignorance in your post, and it just got the best of you. You may just think Dair was not only and EXAMPLE but you stated that it was the ONLY 0-death combo he had. But, you just said up above that he has 0-death combos with his d-smash and nair. You've just been sued.

I understand that many high tierers counter Y. Link but few other middle tier characters fair much better vs. the higher tiers, not enough to blame his low tier status on them by anymeans.
Please elaborate on this a little more, will you? Yes, most middle tierers have the ABILITY to do better against higher tierers because... they're middle tier >_>, and most of them do better than lower tier. If you understand the post I made a little better, I specifed about OVERALL CHARACHTER MATCHUPS, not his tournament performance.

I didn't try to debate you, you corrected me with an arument with no contrary content. I pointed that out. Not my fault.
de·bate
-noun

[di-beyt]
-A discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

-To dispute or disagree about

---

I can safely say that we were both indefinetly disputing over oppossition of viewpoints on a few topics. Also, you DO have contrary content now with your "0-death DEATH dair combo being the only 0-death combo EVER!!" as opposed to "Oh, there are plenty of other combo setups for 0-death combos like with d-smash and a boot to the face HYAAA combo!!!!!11". Well, that's not how you said it but you get what I mean. Regardless, therefore not only did I correct you, I am now pointing out you're contradiction as well, so yes, there was a debate wheather you liked it or not.

As an offensive strategy, sh-laser is worlds better, but Y. Link's projectiles can be used aggresively and defensively which makes them better (in my eyes at least.)
Falco's SHB can be used for defense and aggressive play -_-

Falco's, overall, is used more effectively and efficiently with his style of play. Young Link DOES have some of the best projectiles in the game, but Falco uses his projectile most efficiently against his opponents. So, like I said before, it all depends on how you look at it. I suppose we could just say they are both equeal in spam in some respects.

OK, I've cleared up just about everything that needed quite a bit notification. So yes, this debate can and should be finished in a pm if there are no MAJOR clear ups that need to be accomadated, so please how about this end in a pm if it needs to. I'm open for questions, comments, and anything else that's about charachter matchups, as of right now. I'm all ears. I even have already been given pm already discussing Sheik vs Young Link, sooooo shoot whenever you're ready anyone.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The question of this thread should not be "Why is Young Link low tier?". Rather, it should ask, "Why is everyone else ranked in such a manner to place Young Link in low tier?" When you look at it that way, you cannot really deny the fact that other characters simply have better odds in the tournament scene.

These point-by-point debates are worthless.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
Sorry about that, what I meant to post was:

the triple dair > uair combo isnt 0-death.

if ur opponent is above 60% or so... then they will not be hit with a second dair, or the uair. since they will be sent too far. O_O and u wont be killing anyone with dair under ay 50% or lower.

since u cant really do the combo at high percents. only at really low %s

Top Bottom