• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Young Link a Peach Counter?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
According 2 the match-up chart, Young Link is supposed to be a counter to Peach, or at least give her a really hard time, but recently i've played a few good Young Links with Peach, and nothing has stood out to me as him being a counter, so I was wondering how this was possible? Is there a certain way he has to be played against her?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
So im guessing its just cuz of the projectiles? what im really asking for is...like what specifically gives peach a hard time...for example ICs are weak to peach cuz her downsmash separates them...so what exactly makes peach weak to young link (besides bombz and boomerangs, or is that it?)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Peach is slow... so she has a hard time chasing him down, and she has a harder time running through the projectiles...
She doesn't edgeguard him very well, and sucks at killing things, so he lives really long.

Really though it's not a bad match for peach. Just don't get hit by the projectiles. Did you look at the other Peach vs Ylink thread? Also the day KJ starts edgehogging is the same day he ***** that match. >_>

SamDvds

Smash Ace
No, i tried searching a peach vs y link thread and didnt see any info on it, so thats why i made this one.

Chip.

you know what to do
No, Young Link is a solid counter to Peach. Pretty much good spacing of projectiles **** her bad and also Young Link has good combos against her.

A simple bomb-> point blank boomerang-> nair-> d-smash racks Peach up to 50%.

Also, one HUGE advantage Young Link has is the mighty Bomb Plant combo, in which peach players fear quite a bit. At 90% Young Link can kill her with the Bomb Plant or even sometimes lower. Young Link's recovery against her is fairly moderate as well. Basically, Peach can chase Young Link, but Young Link takes advantage of his speed and projectiles, plus he can edgegaurd her pretty well with his nair. Not to mention he can kill her at low percents.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
No. Peach is not countered by Young Link. At most it's just an annoying battle.

Chip.

you know what to do
No. Peach is not countered by Young Link. At most it's just an annoying battle.

If two good players, Young Link and Peach, are in a duel then the Peach will almost most likely lose. It really just depends on how smart of a Young Link your fighting and your knowledge of fighting the charachter. It also goes in favor of the levels too. Young Link takes advantage of small terrains with 3-point platforms and FD. I do admit that mute city and dream land can make the battle slightly more even, but not for the most part. You may also just not find that some charachters aren't counters at all (for me, Sheik isn't a counter for Young Link, bad matchup at most ;] ).

Ooh yeah, in response to MuBa ^_^ Bomb Plant is a simple bomb to dair combo that is one of Young Link's good finishing combos ^_^. In any case, a simple dair could kill Peach at like 80% or whatever, but Bomb Plant makes it an almost 100% sure-fire hit ^_^.

Peach is just really slow and it's extremely hard for her to fight against a fast charachter who has many, MANY projectiles that can screw her over quite a bit. Good Young Link players never worry when entering this fight. It's really hard for Peach to get within Young Link's spacing gaps and is also difficult to get combos on him as well. Young Link, on the other hand, can do so well with comboing into his projectiles and racking damage up so fast which makes him such a good charachter. These matches become quick since all this spaming is hard to evade, then somewhere in between he can launch a Bomb Plant on you..

..soooooooo yeah >_>

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Peach can get around the projectiles and can **** him up pretty easily.

I'm not as good as Chu Dat and I've beaten his Ylink before. It's not a counter.

Chip.

you know what to do
Was this in a friendly?

lol, you make it sound like it's easy to "get around his projectiles" when it's not, esp. since there's like 6 of them coming out at you and then starts to **** around with her with his physical combo attacks like d-smash, nair, and other arials. He also has a good d-throw->utilt->utilt->uair->uair combo on her.

Plus, Chu Dat's Young Link beat Sastopher who I'm guissing is quite a lot better than you are with Peach lol.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Ok, now that we have some ideas on how to approach Peach and combos to use against her, what are Young Link players advised NOT 2 do against Peach (besides CC)...like what are some mistakes they commonly make that leave them wide open to downsmashes etc...and how does young link get around Peach's arial priority?

Chip.

you know what to do
The only thing I'm ever semi-scared of when fighting a Peach is her D-smash (lol, who isn't?). It's like the only attack that ever racks up somewhat of damage, but it's still not a big deal. The thing to watch out for would be auto float canceled arials->d-smash. But all you have to do then is roll behind her ^_^.

lol, arial priority? who cares? Young Link can out-prioritize her arial attacks with uair, nair, and his bombs :chuckle:... and then numerous combos continued after that.

One thing Peach players can do against a troublesome Young Link is some good ol' edghogging, it's pretty effective ^_^.

Chip.

you know what to do
Well I remember in a tournament (can't specifically remember which one) Sastopher knocked out Ken in the losers bracket. Sas then went to proceed to the finals and lost to Chu. This is when Chu Dat came with the theory of "Young Link countering Peach" or so people say...

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's an easy win, or that he hasn't beaten me before with YLink. He's definitely beaten me with YLink on more than a couple occasions (3-0'd at MLG opener last year), but it goes back and forth these days. This is why I don't think it's a counter.

He's clearly the better player, as his ICs are able to overcome the Peach counter and beat me (via gay wobbles *shakes fist*). I'm also wondering if Sas and Vidjo would rather fight Chu's ICs than his YLink.

Chip.

you know what to do
Eh, I dunno. His IC's are better than Young Link but again, when Young Link played well can= deadly results. You find yourself lucky that Young Link isn't much of a problem, but in this charachter matchup, there are many factors of Young Link that are involved proving Young Link is a counter.

This isn't just my opinion, it's of many others as well. It's just natural that Young Link's abilities can counter Peach's and if you can find ways around that, then props :]. You sound like a formidible Peach, unfortunate I can't play you.. T_T

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Does Y Link's Nair have more priority than Peach's? I didn't much of anything did. I dont mean just speed i mean if both attacks clashed at the same time. I know her B-air can negate the boomerang.

Chip.

you know what to do
Well, yes Young Link's nair takes quite a bit of priority over a lot of attacks in the game and it has more range than Peach's nair so yeah.

And her butt>boomerang but you can use any attack to weapon-cancel it, it's just that her bair is easier to do wit ^_^.

Jash

Smash Lord
Young Link can own Peach, its all about spacing and its all about combos. Bombs own Peach....basically. Young Link can do a B air infinite and a U air infinite to Peach in low %s, and yes i know you people are going to say "Well, you must be fighting a crap Peach because you can easily DI away from that" and yes its partly true, the B air part. Once Peach gets hit by a U air in the 30s....DI all you want, a Young Link with good aim can continue doing it for a while especially in a platform stage. Peach is not a problem for Young Link, this is why he is a counter. This is a video of me fighting a Peach, i hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcBVAUgu_M

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yea, he can Counter her bad. Yet again, you know how to be evadsive, you can win no problem. The fact that Peach is a floaty, can be her biggest weakness. One time for you is try not to let Y.link breath. he cant pull ot a weapen and attack at the same time. he will leave his self open. Nonce you get hit with a weapon, D.I away, not to him or try to get a attack in cause your gonna get comboed bad. always have a turnip in your hand. dont rush and well....mindgames over all does best. remember, Floaty+combo's/speed= Death

May these video help you deal with a Crazy Y.Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxusrJcQ9ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QjMR1m-T0

Fonz

Smash Ace
Well I remember in a tournament (can't specifically remember which one) Sastopher knocked out Ken in the losers bracket. Sas then went to proceed to the finals and lost to Chu. This is when Chu Dat came with the theory of "Young Link countering Peach" or so people say...
It was tg6. Ylink doesn't counter peach. Its a pretty even matchup, maybe even very slightly in peach's favor. Chu's Ylink obviously isn't quite as good as his ICs but its either his 2nd or third best character (gaw is close). The problem is there are at least 10 peaches for each ylink, so each ylink has much more experience vs the multitude of peaches than each peach has vs the very few ylinks. Matchup experience is very important. I like to think that Kirbstir holds his own vs Chu's ICs because of the great practice against/with my dynamic ylink in teams ;)

Samochan

Smash Master
I'd prefer to think y.link vs peach more like link vs peach matchup, not like y.link would somehow counter peach. Peach can do mean stuff to link, but link can outrange peach and spam as effectively as she can too. Y.link still can do a lot of stuff to peach if the peach player doesn't play careful and smart, but peach can do a lot back at y.link and even spam back, which is why this matchup is even or slightly in peach's favor, due to her recovery and Y.link's inability to kill her without dair or uair, plus peach can edgeguard him better.

On my last tournament, I was up against the best Y.link player here, who excels in spamming his projectiles and then dealing more damage with nair comboes. I counterpicked pokefloats after I just and just lost to his Falcon and he picked y.link. You might think that he was having the advantage due to big stage and his spamming nature, but it wasn't really like that. I countered his tactic easily by being careful and not to rush my attacks, seek for opening and spamming turnips myself, since peach can throw them a lot further than Y.link can throw his bombs and the stage doesn't really allow for much boomerang spamming. I also had the stage advantage with all the pokes floathing around. So needless to say, I won the match, against a player who's many spots above me on power ranking and who has beaten a fair amount of people here and I wasn't even having a hard time, like if I were against marth or any other top tier, where one mistake can easily cost your life. Though this comes from my own tournament experience, I've seen vids where Y.link and peach's matches have always been dead even (really good players, mind you) and peach usually winning. Take my opinnion as an opinnion here, there's really no facts in whether y.link might counter peach or not, but it is a fact that y.link fares quite good compared to others of his tier. Both links can fare quite well if used properly.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
I agree, I havent had much problem with beating young link, so i dont understand why on the all-inclusive character match up chart, they gave Y.Link a 7 and peach a 3 ..giving him the same advantage that sheik has over marth in win/loss stats.

Cia

das kwl
According 2 the match-up chart, Young Link is supposed to be a counter to Peach, or at least give her a really hard time, but recently i've played a few good Young Links with Peach, and nothing has stood out to me as him being a counter, so I was wondering how this was possible? Is there a certain way he has to be played against her?
where can i find this match up chart??

D20

Smash Lord
Young Link counters Peach? I'll admit, Peach falls nicely into many of YL's combos, but I don't think YL is a true counter. If he were, more top players would pull out YL for that match up. However, the bottom line is that the Peach vs. Young Link match is not a common sight at tournies.

brdy_

Smash Lord
According to that matchup chart I just posted (Phanna's) Y. Link is THE BEST counter vs. Peach. You should try Phanna's thread to find more info on why Y. Link may be a Peach counter. I'd say its mostly because of Y. Link's auto dair after a bomb hit (and even sometimes the boomerang). Watch Caveman vs. Krazy Jones - he gets ****ed up by Cavemans projectile game.

t0m0

Smash Apprentice
I have never really had any problems with y.link players, but then again ive never played any top notch ones (Caveman for example.) But ylink counters peach just because of his size and his annoying projectiles, they tend to mess up the floating game for peach.

Chip.

you know what to do
Young Link IS a Peach counter

I've seen vids where Y.link and peach's matches have always been dead even (really good players, mind you) and peach usually winning.
Really? Then why don't you name some. If so, then the Young Link must suck pretty bad. Otherwise, I'll take what you said as false information.

Take my opinnion as an opinnion here, there's really no facts in whether y.link might counter peach or not
No, but there is logic.

but it is a fact that y.link fares quite good compared to others of his tier. Both links can fare quite well if used properly.
Very true.

It was tg6.
and MLG Seattle too :o

All right, I'm not saying that all Peach players find Young Link a Peach counter. It's just that Young Link's abilities naturally counter Peach's abilities. Heck, I don't think Falco is a counter for Young Link at all because I know how to fight him, but yet he still is. Peach really doesn't have anything that scares Young Link (xcept Stichface...*shivers*). Young Link can spam Peach till doomsday. Period.

Peach fails in almost nearly everyway in attempting to fight against Young Link's projectiles. Also, a simple Young Link combo can be fatal to Peach if executed flawlessly (bomb->bomb->point blank boomerang->uair->uair->nair->d-smash) and if it isn't it's still a 30-50% damage combo, at least. And just as a warning, if Peach is at 90% damage or more (sometimes less) she's in the killing zone of Young Link. Wheather it be a dair, uair, a well placed d-smash, or whatever will kill her. And since he's spamming you the whole time what better way to easily finish you off with a setup dair than to use a Bomb Plant?

Young Link can edgegaurd her extremely well too. When she's floating, when far away, Young Link can easily disrupt her recovery with bombs, boomerang, and arrows and these can eventually make her fall down too low to recover, stun her into a well placed nair if she's close or, oh, if the Young Link really feels like toying around he'll just jump out there and do a dair instead :psycho: :laugh: :psycho:! Oh, and don't even think about trying to double jump/upB high so you can go over his head and hope to land safely somewhere on a stage platform. You can expect a barrage of bombs being thrown up at you and some uairs to endlesslly juggle you into the deathly sky as well.

The only thing that I've seen that has gotten Young Link far off the stage is Peach's d-smash (sometimes nair, rarely). Now although Young Link is backwards he can throw his boomerang behind him which negates the "flip" effect and now allowing for a smarter, safer hookshot recovery. Since he also throws his boomerang behind him this boomerang has a good chance of weapon-canceling with a Peach turnip that might be thrown and used as an edgegaurd. So that in return boosts Young Link's recovery by a lot. I'll admit that edgehogging is effective to an extent, but only really at stages with long walls like Dream Land.

Young Link can run away and spam you to death or he can hunt you down, combo you like crazy, and finish you very quickly and will eat you alive. Young Link overall is a solid Peach counter and is one of the best Peach counters if not the best (and Marth maybe) XD.

But it's not like it's an impossible win for Peach, because I too have been owned by Peach a few times only because they have learned how to fight back against a Young Link. I've learned how to fight all Young Link counters and do the very same thing (except Falcon, I need to work on him a little more now XD), but does that mean Young Link actually counters or has a slight adantage against Sheik, Falco, Fox, etc.? Not in the slightest. I haven't even fought an extremely good Fox so that's a small reason why I can pwn him so badly so maybe some of you Peach players have never fought a sufficient Young Link player, perhaps.

So that's great if some of you do good against Young Link but don't go off saying "Peach has a slight advantage" because I find that as crap. Explain "why" Peach, in the slightest, concievable thought, of why she might have this "advantage". Please, do humor me.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Really? Then why don't you name some. If so, then the Young Link must suck pretty bad. Otherwise, I'll take what you said as false information.

No, but there is logic.

Very true.

and MLG Seattle too :o

All right, I'm not saying that all Peach players find Young Link a Peach counter. It's just that Young Link's abilities naturally counter Peach's abilities. Heck, I don't think Falco is a counter for Young Link at all because I know how to fight him, but yet he still is. Peach really doesn't have anything that scares Young Link (xcept Stichface...*shivers*). Young Link can spam Peach till doomsday. Period.

Peach fails in almost nearly everyway in attempting to fight against Young Link's projectiles. Also, a simple Young Link combo can be fatal to Peach if executed flawlessly (bomb->bomb->point blank boomerang->uair->uair->nair->d-smash) and if it isn't it's still a 30-50% damage combo, at least. And just as a warning, if Peach is at 90% damage or more (sometimes less) she's in the killing zone of Young Link. Wheather it be a dair, uair, a well placed d-smash, or whatever will kill her. And since he's spamming you the whole time what better way to easily finish you off with a setup dair than to use a Bomb Plant?

Young Link can edgegaurd her extremely well too. When she's floating, when far away, Young Link can easily disrupt her recovery with bombs, boomerang, and arrows and these can eventually make her fall down too low to recover, stun her into a well placed nair if she's close or, oh, if the Young Link really feels like toying around he'll just jump out there and do a dair instead :psycho: :laugh: :psycho:! Oh, and don't even think about trying to double jump/upB high so you can go over his head and hope to land safely somewhere on a stage platform. You can expect a barrage of bombs being thrown up at you and some uairs to endlesslly juggle you into the deathly sky as well.

The only thing that I've seen that has gotten Young Link far off the stage is Peach's d-smash (sometimes nair, rarely). Now although Young Link is backwards he can throw his boomerang behind him which negates the "flip" effect and now allowing for a smarter, safer hookshot recovery. Since he also throws his boomerang behind him this boomerang has a good chance of weapon-canceling with a Peach turnip that might be thrown and used as an edgegaurd. So that in return boosts Young Link's recovery by a lot. I'll admit that edgehogging is effective to an extent, but only really at stages with long walls like Dream Land.

Young Link can run away and spam you to death or he can hunt you down, combo you like crazy, and finish you very quickly and will eat you alive. Young Link overall is a solid Peach counter and is one of the best Peach counters if not the best (and Marth maybe) XD.

But it's not like it's an impossible win for Peach, because I too have been owned by Peach a few times only because they have learned how to fight back against a Young Link. I've learned how to fight all Young Link counters and do the very same thing (except Falcon, I need to work on him a little more now XD), but does that mean Young Link actually counters or has a slight adantage against Sheik, Falco, Fox, etc.? Not in the slightest. I haven't even fought an extremely good Fox so that's a small reason why I can pwn him so badly so maybe some of you Peach players have never fought a sufficient Young Link player, perhaps.

So that's great if some of you do good against Young Link but don't go off saying "Peach has a slight advantage" because I find that as crap. Explain "why" Peach, in the slightest, concievable thought, of why she might have this "advantage". Please, do humor me.

Dude, I main and breath Peach and there is one thing I have to say to you.....................You are correct 100% here, I only fight one true Y.Link Player and his name is Jash, Now I never thought Peach could have so much trouble with Y.Link, till the day I met him. Now I see how Peach has one hell of a time beating one. No questions ask, Y.Link Counters Peach. The Fact that she is a floaty and stays in the air, leads to combo for Y.Link with weapons and even sword play. Once the combos starts, its hard to escape head on, and He can cut down peaches float cancel use down to size. and FC is like 80% of her game. All Peaches and other players need to see this post and learn that Y.Link is a counter and terror for Peach hands down. Everything you stated here Jash does to me and makes it hard to win, I can barly beat him. I have not one a set with him in lika a month or 2

Chip.

you know what to do
Dude, I main and breath Peach and there is one thing I have to say to you.....................You are correct 100% here, I only fight one true Y.Link Player and his name is Jash, Now I never thought Peach could have so much trouble with Y.Link, till the day I met him. Now I see how Peach has one hell of a time beating one. No questions ask, Y.Link Counters Peach. The Fact that she is a floaty and stays in the air, leads to combo for Y.Link with weapons and even sword play. Once the combos starts, its hard to escape head on, and He can cut down peaches float cancel use down to size. and FC is like 80% of her game. All Peaches and other players need to see this post and learn that Y.Link is a counter and terror for Peach hands down. Everything you stated here Jash does to me and makes it hard to win, I can barly beat him. I have not one a set with him in lika a month or 2

Dark. Pch for President!

Yeah, Jash is a pretty cool guy along with a wicked Young Link too. I've seen what destruction his Young Link can do :dizzy:.

Chip.

you know what to do
Excellent, please join the Young Link forums as how we are lacking in contribution to posting and adding new threads.

Show us vids of your Young link as well.

You'll also learn how to rizaps Peach and many other charachters too ^_^.

FREE!!!

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I think a major reason Y.Link is thought of as a peach counter isn't juts because its a weak game for peach but its a particularly strong game for Y.Link (2 different ideas). Y Link is always good at putting on the damage, but the hardest part for Y. Link is the killing part. Now im no Y. Link player but these are my personal observations. Killing is hard for Y. Link. But against peach Y. Link just has so many options that a dthrow after peach is above 90% is practically gg.

Top Bottom