• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is this game rated E-10 and not T?

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
They showed the ESRB rating in the shulk trailer. They get rid of all the panty shots and kind of green blood? Also does this deconfirms snake?

Tesh

Smash Hero
All Snake ever did was blow stuff up. Unless choking people would make it T, I don't think THIS means Snake is not coming back. The way things get rated change over time. Look at the content of any G rated Disney movie from the 80s and 90s and it could easily be pg 13 these days.

Keep in mind, E10 isn't a super old rating like the others are. Maybe "T" just seemed like a safer way to classify Smash last time, but reevaluating this time came up with something lighter..

JMS_Eddy

Smash Rookie
It's obligatory because Smash Bros is Smash Bros. Kinda how like only one of the Star Wars movies was rated PG-13 even though all of them had heads, arms, hands, and other things getting chopped off and people dying everywhere.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Wasn't one of the reasons for the T rating the Blood Master Hand got when he broke out of Tabuu's strings in Subspace?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Now the new Smash Bros game has a quite colorful graphic, so rated E 10+ is not that surprised to me.

oscuras

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2105-8721-7551
But seriously though, who really cares about ESRB ratings anyways?
10 year olds are playing CODs, Battlefields and GTAs everyday.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Brawl was rated T for Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor.
Smash for 3DS/Wii U was rated E10 for Cartoon Mischief, Cartoon Violence and Mild Suggestive Themes.
Isn't Wario also in 3DS/Wii U too? And Wario Waft was confirmed on the Wario trophy in the leak too. I don't know why the ratings are like that. O_o

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Brawl was rated T for Cartoon Violence and Crude Humor.
Smash for 3DS/Wii U was rated E10 for Cartoon Mischief, Cartoon Violence and Mild Suggestive Themes.
Isn't Wario also in 3DS/Wii U too? And Wario Waft was confirmed on the Wario trophy in the leak too. I don't know why the ratings are like that. O_o
Wario himself doesn't make fart jokes. That was Snake and the Colonel. Same for Samus. She was always suggestive themes, now we just also have Palutena, Wii Fit, and Shulk, and presumably don't have Snake (or at least don't have codec calls) saying things like "Samus took her clothes off!"

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nothing was wrong with Snake in my opinion. He could easily get into a E-10 game.
I don't think he'd ever been in a game rated less than M before Brawl, though I could be wrong.
But that aside, rating severity changes over the years as society changes. I still remember finding "damn" in Megaman 7 and thinking that was odd in a KA-rated game (which, that too shows how ratings have changed, that one doesn't even exist any more). Melee was T, but it also existed before E10 did. FE Path of Radiance was T, but its sequel (which looked better, was slightly more profane, etc) was only E10.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Well, in PEGI, it's 12+, Brawl is also 12+, so in Europe, there's no real difference. But I hate Snake.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Panty Shots are gone now.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Panty Shots are gone now.
Rosalina's different since they dont want her to be sexualized, Peach on the other hand probably still does since her Amiibo shockingly has panties put on

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Rosalina's different since they dont want her to be sexualized, Peach on the other hand probably still does since her Amiibo shockingly has panties put on
Well, Amiibo's are different. They are figures which are in real life and have nothing to do with the ESRB Rating.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, Amiibo's are different. They are figures which are in real life and have nothing to do with the ESRB Rating.
They're also based on the character model, so Peach will atleast still have panty shots, Palutena to (everyone else idk)

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
They're also based on the character model, so Peach will atleast still have panty shots, Palutena to (everyone else idk)
Palutena? Since when? She wasn't in any demo and there is no confirmed amiibo of her.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena? Since when? She wasn't in any demo and there is no confirmed amiibo of her.
There was a picture a couple months ago that spotted Palutena's panties or something similar(taken from the trailer)

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I'm honestly surprised this isn't at least T because of Samus' "upgraded" bosom and alternate costumes. Same with Shulk's swimsuit, though he hardly matters since females being sexualized are the ones that make a bigger deal. Though it's not just Samus, the trophies for characters like Barbara and Tharja (assuming Tharja's is legit, I'm sure Barbara is back either way) kinda add on to that as well.

Maybe since this game has less of a realistic look to it and looks more colorful and cartoony it fits the "cartoon violence" tag better, which probably warrants a rating for audiences younger than teenagers.

Hong

The Strongest
As someone involved with localization, I can vouch for the fact North America is immensely sensitive and the rating system can be volatile. A lot of T should be E/E10+. A lot of M should be AO.

It wasn't until after Melee shipped that E10+ was actually a thing. It gave us a healthy distinction between partially-exposed bodies and actual sexual implications.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Blame the parents for not raising their children better.
Welcome to BASIS Flagstaff, and it's Minecraft & GTA club.
On topic... Yeah it's like the Star Wars movie. Then again Revenge of the Sith is the latest to come out and at that time the rating system had gotten stricter. Still, Zero-er Suit and Speedo Shulk should do something... right?

Zango

Smash Apprentice
Melee was rated T and it lacked both Snake and Masterhand blood. The ESRB do what they want.

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
The esrb does not know what there doing. Portal 2 was e 10 when it really should not have been and that's one example. But i think E10 makes more sense

Spirst

I don't think he'd ever been in a game rated less than M before Brawl, though I could be wrong.
But that aside, rating severity changes over the years as society changes. I still remember finding "damn" in Megaman 7 and thinking that was odd in a KA-rated game (which, that too shows how ratings have changed, that one doesn't even exist any more). Melee was T, but it also existed before E10 did. FE Path of Radiance was T, but its sequel (which looked better, was slightly more profane, etc) was only E10.
I think Snake not being in a game rated less than M is more about the Metal Gear games content iself though as opposed to the character. His appearance in itself doesn't necessarily imply the rating will go up. It is odd however that Smash 4 is only E10+ yet has things like Samus in her undergarments. The world seems to have this odd taboo on anything remotely sexual so it's interesting that got through.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
The esrb does not know what there doing. Portal 2 was e 10 when it really should not have been and that's one example. But i think E10 makes more sense
I think it's fitting, mostly because of the crude humor and not exactly easy puzzles. A kid would probably not know what to do with a game like Portal when the harder puzzles come to shove.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Nothing was wrong with Snake in my opinion. He could easily get into a E-10 game.
Peace Walker was rated T despite having fanservice on the level of this game(including an implied gay option), M rated swearing(not tame words like bas*¨*rd, words like bull****) electric torture, among other things.

Not happening unless they insanely censored it.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Metroid Fusion and Supermetroid were both rated E, and that's with Supermetroid having Samus (very briefly on death screens) in even more revealing undergarments than what she got in Smash.

Who knows. ESRB's weird, I've always generally thought CERO's ratings were more reasonable on that regard. Then again, cultural differences go a long way, and America has historically been so anti-sex, anti-religious symbolism, and anti-blood that the recent changes and slips may be a sign that the ESRB is finally catching on to the change in public attitude.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Metroid Fusion and Supermetroid were both rated E, and that's with Supermetroid having Samus (very briefly on death screens) in even more revealing undergarments than what she got in Smash.
If you want another SNES example, EarthBound was rated K-A in the West; no way. Abusive parents, religious subtext, terrorism, a ton of allegories and a disconfirmed yet popular and nightmare inducing Giygas baby theory, and of course Giygas himself.

They re-rated it T for the VC release.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There was a metal gear solid game on the gameboy color which was rated E.
It had stuff like snake smoking in the intro.
He was also in dream tv mix world fighters which didn't get the japan equivalent of T

Raijinken

Smash Master
If you want another SNES example, EarthBound was rated K-A in the West; no way. Abusive parents, religious subtext, terrorism, a ton of allegories and a disconfirmed yet popular and nightmare inducing Giygas baby theory, and of course Giygas himself.

They re-rated it T for the VC release.
Wait, seriously, it got a T on VC?
I mean, it makes sense, but it's still weird in my mind (since I have the original SNES copy).

Good thing Fire Emblem 4 and 5 never made it to Merica (I don't mean that. I'd love a localization so much). Incest as a key plot point, and beyond the normal levels of genocide and whatnot.

But yeah, points made. ESRB is so confused about ratings. E10 feels very fair for a Smash game, though.

Blue blue blue.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wait, seriously, it got a T on VC?
I mean, it makes sense, but it's still weird in my mind (since I have the original SNES copy).

Good thing Fire Emblem 4 and 5 never made it to Merica (I don't mean that. I'd love a localization so much). Incest as a key plot point, and beyond the normal levels of genocide and whatnot.

But yeah, points made. ESRB is so confused about ratings. E10 feels very fair for a Smash game, though.

Blue blue blue.
Is it a surprise it would be rated T after all it has? (timeless OG copy is timeless)

...I didn't need to know that FE fact lol :p

Only thing that would bump the rating would be Snake. Perfect Dark may have buffed Melee's rating if it were mentioned by name, so there's that.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
In Kid Icarus Uprising, you can rotate the idols you collect any way you want, except for the idols that had potential panty shots. It was intentionally and individually programmed in. I wonder if the new Smash also have this feature.

Top Bottom