• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is the Temple stage banned?

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Just a general wondering, really. I think it's pretty clear that everybody loves the stage for casual playing, but from a "competetive 1 v 1 perspective", why is this stage banned?

(If it's not a banned stage I apologize for making an unnecessary post, I've just never seen a tourney match played on Temple)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
It isn't just banned "because it promotes camping" but because camping there makes you nearly impossible to kill. You can always avoid death there by sitting in the cave and teching the stage when you're hit into it.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Not only that, but there's also the issue of circle camping.
ie getting the % lead and then running away from your opponent for the rest of the game by running in the 'circle' present on the stage. A character like Sonic can do this really well, and it doesn't really take much skill to run away properly on a stage like Temple

ThatCoolKid

Smash Rookie
Not only that, but there's also the issue of circle camping.
ie getting the % lead and then running away from your opponent for the rest of the game by running in the 'circle' present on the stage. A character like Sonic can do this really well, and it doesn't really take much skill to run away properly on a stage like Temple
When you said this I thought of Temple Run :rotfl: :cool:

Spaceman

twitch.tv/spacemanstream
NNID
youlosttotoadgg
3DS FC
3497-1911-1309
You can also trap your opponent against the wall towards the middle-right of the stage, thus making it ridiculously punishing for someone that went against that wall.

Grimmz

Smash Journeyman
And that stage has permanent wall. Have fun getting infinited by DDD and d-tilted by MK or marth the entire match lol

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I'd prefer 75M in a tournament match. Literally though you could go Sonic in Temple, get the first hit, and easily run away for 8 minutes. Every game on that stage would be a time out.

MK is actually better than Sonic on this stage.

Anyways, reason #1 is because it's too big for a 1v1 map. It's more suited for 2v2 or free-for-alls.

#2 There's a couple of hard circles on the stage that fast characters can use to literally run circles away from their opponents and avoid all combat. We obviously don't want that, right? Since there's a dominant strategy to the stage, character choice is saturated to only the ones that can perform the strategy, which would be just Metaknight and Sonic. Nobody else can compete with those two characters.

#3 The cave at the bottom (although fun) makes getting killed very difficult. Enemies will bounce off the ceiling and get slammed to the ground again, or will get hit against a wall and tech the wall itself, negating any knockback on the spot. This is bad because getting 3 kills can take forever, and matches will always run the full timer.

#4 There are certain parts of the stage where characters who can glide can lock themselves into and be barely reachable. They can literally glide against a wall aiming downward but not descending. This is clearly stalling and we don't want to promote that capability.

#5 And probably the weakest reason of them all is that there are permanent walls in this stage which will promote wall infinites, such as King Dedede's chain grab. I say this is weak because King Dedede is NOT viable in this stage, and because nobody but Smashers will care if there is a wall in their stage.

Top Bottom