• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is roy bad?

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I hear people say "roy is bad" or "roy is not very good" and I was just wonder how he is bad i play him very often but I was just wondering.

vZakat

Half Genie
Lack luster punishes and combos
Lack luster edge guarding
Poor recovery
Easily combo'd
Shut down by several characters

That's the short answer. Explaining why those things are true is the long answer but I don't think that much explanation is needed.

Roy Pharae

Smash Rookie
Well, Roy is technically tier 20 in Melee, and countered (But not hard countered) by most of the characters according to the Tier List. Roy also is easily chain grabbed, sent off the ring, wavedashed, SHFFLed, and teched by almost all of the characters that are good at this. Roy can be meteor smashed by many characters. In short, the only reason why Roy is 'bad' is because he is really hard to use as a main character, due to speed, combos, and sweetspot, as Roy really needs a good player to make him shine the most. I am not the best Roy in the world, and am far from it, but in my experiences against high tier characters in the Smash Club I'm in, I could hold my own against high tier (Shiek, Marth, Falco, Fox) characters there. So no Roy is not bad, it's how you use him, as he is almost an exact clone of Marth. Sure, you could argue Marth's better than Roy at everything, but that is probably not the question you are asking. Anyway, If you love to play Roy, then I suggest having some patience at take some time to learn his combos and stuff. Roy's not as bad as most people think in Melee, he can wavedash (I think everyone can with enough practice, has a pretty fast SHFFL, and can use generally the same combos as a Marth would, except they are slower and would sweetspot with a center hit.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
wavedashed, SHFFLed, and teched by almost all of the characters that are good at this.
That doesn't make sense. You can't "wavedash", "SHFFL", or "tech" someone else. You can be good at it, yes, but you can't do it to somebody else.

Roy can be meteor smashed by many characters.
Anyone can be meteor smashed/spiked. There's nothing that determines whether you can or can't meteor smash a character.

as Roy really needs a good player to make him shine the most.
That goes for all the characters.

I am not the best Roy in the world, and am far from it, but in my experiences against high tier characters in the Smash Club I'm in, I could hold my own against high tier (Shiek, Marth, Falco, Fox) characters there.
That might be true, but that depends on the skill of the players. For example, I can hold my own on netplay, and occasionally terrible players who play high tiers crop up, and I can easily beat them. That doesn't mean that Roy needs to move up any or he's actually good. It's just that said players are bad. In a non high level scenario, tiers don't matter.

So no Roy is not bad, it's how you use him, as he is almost an exact clone of Marth.
Roy truly is bad. You have to accept it. And he's nowhere close to a Marth clone. Animations might be similar, but that only makes up half of it. His attributes are completely different, which differentiates him a lot.

Sure, you could argue Marth's better than Roy at everything, but that is probably not the question you are asking.
Marth is better than Roy at most everything, except maybe in the fire department.

Anyway, If you love to play Roy, then I suggest having some patience at take some time to learn his combos and stuff.
Once again, applies to everyone.

Roy's not as bad as most people think in Melee
He might not be as bad as people think, but he's still bad.

he can wavedash (I think everyone can with enough practice, has a pretty fast SHFFL, and can use generally the same combos as a Marth would, except they are slower and would sweetspot with a center hit.
Everyone can wavedash, but it's more useful for others than some. Also he doesn't have the same combos as Marth does. His knockback, sweetspots, weight, falling speed, and everything else makes his combo game totally different.

For example, take the Ken Combo. Marth's fair>jump>dair spike, right? This wouldn't work with Roy because first of all his dair only has a very weak meteor at the sweetspot. If his dair did have the sweetspot, his falling speed and the lag on his moves wouldn't work with it anyways. His aerials have quite a bit of lag on them, so he'd end up in a bad position.

SNEAKY_URKEL

Smash Apprentice
Well, Roy is technically tier 20 in Melee, and countered (But not hard countered) by most of the characters according to the Tier List. Roy also is easily chain grabbed, sent off the ring, wavedashed, SHFFLed, and teched by almost all of the characters that are good at this. Roy can be meteor smashed by many characters. In short, the only reason why Roy is 'bad' is because he is really hard to use as a main character, due to speed, combos, and sweetspot, as Roy really needs a good player to make him shine the most. I am not the best Roy in the world, and am far from it, but in my experiences against high tier characters in the Smash Club I'm in, I could hold my own against high tier (Shiek, Marth, Falco, Fox) characters there. So no Roy is not bad, it's how you use him, as he is almost an exact clone of Marth. Sure, you could argue Marth's better than Roy at everything, but that is probably not the question you are asking. Anyway, If you love to play Roy, then I suggest having some patience at take some time to learn his combos and stuff. Roy's not as bad as most people think in Melee, he can wavedash (I think everyone can with enough practice, has a pretty fast SHFFL, and can use generally the same combos as a Marth would, except they are slower and would sweetspot with a center hit.
lol

vZakat

Half Genie
I was just gonna ignore that post since he only joined yesterday but since yall responded to it I'll go ahead and say that I agree 100% with what Oddyesy said. lol

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I was just gonna ignore that post since he only joined yesterday but since yall responded to it I'll go ahead and say that I agree 100% with what Oddyesy said. lol
Well they're not gonna learn if no one tells them, right?

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Well they're not gonna learn if no one tells them, right?
Lol yes I agree. And I don't play Roy at tournaments or anything when I said
i play him very often
I ment in friendles lol. I was never going to play him in a tournament because I knew he was bad I just wanted to know why. I agree %100 with you Oddyesy, and Roy Pharae we're not trying to be mean we just want you to learn.

Top Bottom