• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is nobody talking about the cheaters online??

have you personally seen cheaters in smash bros?

• Total voters

Matthewc65

Smash Rookie
I've seen numerous opponents that I've fought use instantaneous movement speed. Enhanced character characterstics like giving corrin super speed, or giving sonic killing power when he gets you to 50 damage. I have seen a Dedede run as fast as a captain falcon, and an olimar with a hitbox of over half the stage.

I know all the moves from short hops to ground dodging. From cancelling attacks to kill moves. In every fair match I have I have I have at least killed the person 1 time even if they played on tournament level.

If someone is playing really well and knows their character I respect that. People that spam moves are annoying, and as much as I dislike it I am keenly aware it is not cheating. I just don't refer to those people as smash players, I refer to them as people who can't, and shouldn't play the game.

Now to the point, Why aren't people talking about the cheaters online? I know I'm not alone in this. I have seen shulks kill with a neutral A with their opponent as 60 damage. I have seen a ganondorf enter into an endless combo that killed me without me being able to dodge or do anything to avoid him. A GANONDORF! I know there are plenty of trolls online as the same kind of cheating took place with the wii, most famously during mario kart online play. The worst part is, is that nintendo isn't doing a thing to stop them. I've seen and reported numerous cheaters, but alone I can't stop them all. It sickens me that people who play this game and suck need to cheat into to make others feel bad even though they can't play.

Just today I was facing a guy who used a toon link. The first time he won fairly and we used different characters. Eventually I started to beat him as bayonetta fairly consistently with everybody he used. He fought my bayonetta as toon link. his dodge speed, running speed, and attack speeds were significantly increased. I went to grab him and bayonetta automatically dropped him without me even picking a direction 3 times. With time activated, but he didn't slow down he just instantly charged a smash and killed me. This was a completely different playstyle than what had happened before.

I have also versed people that move unusually quick and have no lag in between their attacks. Instantaneous attacks are impossible in this game unless it's during a combo that is typically endable besides the obviously broken bayonetta. I have used every character enough to understand their capabilities. So I can't be the only one who notices how much cheating is going on on smash bros. Nintendo needs to put a stop to them and stop letting them run rampant. This is why the wii u has failed in my opinion. They just don't care anymore.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Do you have a replay of these cheaters? I wanna see how this happened. I haven't seen anyone hack online, and I've been playing since launch...

Matthewc65

Smash Rookie
No, all the replays I had got deleted with updates, and since then I haven't saved any because I try to just move forward, but I get frustrated when I run into them over and over... I'm surprised you haven't seen any.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I haven't run into them either, nor have I seen too many people complaining about them.
Probably because the possibility of you being caught cheating is ridiculously high. Or because I play on 3DS.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm never seen anyone cheat in the thousands of battles I've done on both the WiiU and 3DS FGs. The next time you encounter this you should really save the replay and post it here, since I honestly have a hard time believing that this is legit since I've never seen it even once in all my battles.

Lone V

Smash Rookie
NNID
LoneWolf_XIII
I've never encountered any cheaters online, and I've been playing since launch on both 3DS and WiiU.

Even if you did find one and save a replay though, wouldn't the replay just desync and play nothing like the actual game did? Since it's not actually a recording, it just registers the player's button inputs and the like. I doubt it would take any cheats that may have been used into account.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only way CURRENTLY to hack your Wii U is through the browser exploit, and that was patched out a long time ago. You would not be able to play online at all without updating your Wii U, and the update would remove the hacks. Cheating online on the Wii U is just too hard right now for the average kid on For Glory to accomplish.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I only have one instance where I believe I have encountered a Cheater/Hacker, and the Replays got deleted due to updates.

I think it was between the Version 1.0.6 and 1.0.8 updates and it took place during For Glory Team Battle. Me and my friend went against a team of double Shulks and they constantly did the same moves perfectly in unison. No, there's no way it could of been two separate players that just happened to play in unison. They would use the same moves to save one even if it meant killing the other.

Not to mention the moves they used were perfectly timed in perfect unison as well with no delay or anything.

It wasn't until recently that the Amiibo "Control the same character" Glitch has surfaced; however I don't think that's how they could have done it. We only had two matches with the guy and won both times, but we were both extremely confused at what even happened.

Other than that, I haven't seen anything at all that you described. I haven't seen anything weird after that incident either.

I suppose it all relies on luck perhaps.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
I think it was between the Version 1.0.6 and 1.0.8 updates and it took place during For Glory Team Battle. Me and my friend went against a team of double Shulks and they constantly did the same moves perfectly in unison. No, there's no way it could of been two separate players that just happened to play in unison. They would use the same moves to save one even if it meant killing the other.
Wavebird Wireless Gamecube Controller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WaveBird_Wireless_Controller
There is a knob at the bottom of the controller and the end device that allows you to pick a channel to connect to via wireless signal, say they are both connected to channel 1, then the controller will work.
Now let's say you have 2 end devices and 1 controller, all connected to channel 1, now you will be controlling player 1 and 2 at the same time with one controller. I do not have a gamecube adapter to test this on, but I know from experience doing this all the time on my Gamecube.

link2702

Smash Champion
99% positive you're either full of it, or are mistaking normal smash four physics as cheating. One from your post already points to the latter, sonic Killing you can likely be due to you trying to charge a smash attack and getting hit during it. Smash 4 GREATLY increases the knock back you receive from an opponents move if you were charging a smash attack at the time. People have gotten killed at 0% before near the top of the stage bc they charged a smash move and were hit by a move the first hit of a multi hit move where the hit did less than 1%

You're gonna have to bring some proof that you have found legit hackers and cheaters in smash 4 because like others here, I've played obsessively since release(20,000+ matches between 3ds and wii u ) and have not once encountered a hacker/cheater.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, without video footage, it's hard to tell if the people he's denouncing are cheaters. For all we know, he doesn't know how fast Dedede runs, or that Sonic actually has kill moves in this game.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
lol

"I have seen a ganondorf enter into an endless combo that killed me without me being able to dodge or do anything to avoid him. A GANONDORF!"

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Wavebird Wireless Gamecube Controller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WaveBird_Wireless_Controller
There is a knob at the bottom of the controller and the end device that allows you to pick a channel to connect to via wireless signal, say they are both connected to channel 1, then the controller will work.
Now let's say you have 2 end devices and 1 controller, all connected to channel 1, now you will be controlling player 1 and 2 at the same time with one controller. I do not have a gamecube adapter to test this on, but I know from experience doing this all the time on my Gamecube.
That would explain how they did it. I kinda figured Sm4sh was still unhackable around that time, so it had me curious on how that worked.

Still the only odd, or "Cheat" thing I've ever seen in For Glory so far.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
Yeah, without video footage, it's hard to tell if the people he's denouncing are cheaters. For all we know, he doesn't know how fast Dedede runs, or that Sonic actually has kill moves in this game.
Even worse if someone based on those kind of assumptions is going to make the next obvious step. the same applies to forced lag. i beleave it exists, but cheating is even more rare then a shiny (non cheated) Pokemon. I didnt encounter a single person.

I go with link1207. Until the threadmaker has a proof, it never happened, like Indiana jones 4 lol. Anayway , this is like saying you hit a Little mac with full force and he didnt move a single bit ( because of superarmor). there are alwyays some suprising strong knockbacks, such as in rolleplay damageoutput, where a single number is randomy taken out of a difference like for example 25-35. In case of smash bros. It is known for his big inconstancy sometimes, so even the definition critter could apply, but thats just me.

Last edited:

kii

Smash Cadet
I've fought about 4500 battles in FG and I've never encountered unusual behavior.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Of the thousands of battles I've had, not once have I encountered anyone who would "cheat". It's just impossible.

MegaViralProxxy

Smash Rookie
People that spam moves are annoying, and as much as I dislike it I am keenly aware it is not cheating. I just don't refer to those people as smash players, I refer to them as people who can't, and shouldn't play the game.
you lost me here. seriously who do you think you are to tell people they shouldn't play a game just because they play it differently than you?

Last edited:

Pommgreen

Smash Rookie
Everything Matthewc65 just said is true about the things that go on online. And chances are most if not all of you guys know this too. If anything many of you probably join in the unscrupulous behavior but it wouldn't seem that way at first glance from how innocently many of you present yourselves on a public online forum. It's ridiculous how many players are actually insane and evil enough do these crazy things. And its every where you go too, whether it be For Glory, Anthers Ladder, Reddit, Gamefaqs, or right here on Smash boards, It seems like almost everyone is doing it.

The only consistently good experiences I have had playing this game online is playing against Twtich streamers, preferably ones who show themselves on camera and converse with viewers. The connections against the streamers I have played are some the best I have ever had and strangly as a pleasant surprise are often extremely skilled and intelligent players who legitimately know how to mindgame and adapt to their opponent. I feel like I learn so much just by fighting them a short time them and picking up new tricks and knowledge on the fly. I almost can never say that when I play others line because I can tell what is going on as I am fighting them. It's amazing the bizzare things that are possible with connection manipulation. And the stuff that Matthewc65 mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's even more amazing how people can give the impression that they are a much better player than they really are. I'm talking someone who earlier on played like a kindergartener who just played Smash 4 for the first time and later on playing like a god who makes inhuman reads who could probably take on Zero' s Sheik and Nairo's Zero Suit Samus in a 2v1 and triple stock them in under two mintues without taking any damage himself. And this change can happen in literally seconds in the very same match. If the player know how to manipulate the connection in just the right amount it, the difference ends up being that extreme.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Everything Matthewc65 just said is true about the things that go on online. And chances are most if not all of you guys know this too

It's ridiculous how many players are actually insane and evil enough do these crazy things. And its every where you go too, whether it be For Glory, Anthers Ladder, Reddit, Gamefaqs, or right here on Smash boards, It seems like almost everyone is doing it.

The only consistently good experiences I have had playing this game online is playing against Twtich streamers, preferably ones who show themselves on camera and converse with viewers. The connections against the streamers I have played are some the best I have ever had and strangly as a pleasant surprise are often extremely skilled and intelligent players who legitimately know how to mindgame and adapt to their opponent. I feel like I learn so much just by fighting them a short time them and picking up new tricks and knowledge on the fly. I almost can never say that when I play others line because I can tell what is going on as I am fighting them. It's amazing the bizzare things that are possible with connection manipulation. And the stuff that Matthewc65 mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's even more amazing how people can give the impression that they are a much better player than they really are. I'm talking someone who earlier on played like a kindergartener who just played Smash 4 for the first time and later on playing like a god who makes inhuman reads who could probably take on Zero' s Sheik and Nairo's Zero Suit Samus in a 2v1 and triple stock them in under two mintues without taking any damage himself. And this change can happen in literally seconds in the very same match. If the player know how to manipulate the connection in just the right amount it, the difference ends up being that extreme.
If we knew something, we wouldn't be hiding it. And when you say stuff like
If anything many of you probably join in the unscrupulous behavior but it wouldn't seem that way at first glance from how innocently many of you present yourselves on a public online forum.
It makes it sound like you're accusing us of doing it as well, quite a bold statement if you ask me.
Nobody likes hackers, and we'd be denouncing them if we saw them, hopefully with video proof or atleast images to support our complaints. Like this video, right here:
When you do something like OP where you scream "I SAW HACKERS WHY AREN'T YOU COMPLAINING, TOO?", it almost seems like crying wolf, to me.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
It's ridiculous how many players are actually insane and evil enough do these crazy things. And its every where you go too, whether it be For Glory, Anthers Ladder, Reddit, Gamefaqs, or right here on Smash boards, It seems like almost everyone is doing it.
That's a lie. I and others in this thread have been playing since launch. None of us encountered anyone using hacks so frequently like your claiming. The Wii U isn't that easy to hack and actually go online with this said hacks.

link2702

Smash Champion
Everything Matthewc65 just said is true about the things that go on online. And chances are most if not all of you guys know this too. If anything many of you probably join in the unscrupulous behavior but it wouldn't seem that way at first glance from how innocently many of you present yourselves on a public online forum. It's ridiculous how many players are actually insane and evil enough do these crazy things. And its every where you go too, whether it be For Glory, Anthers Ladder, Reddit, Gamefaqs, or right here on Smash boards, It seems like almost everyone is doing it.

Smash4 isn't easy to hack, few that do exist require you to often be offline bc Nintendo can and will ban the player permanently, or worse, brick their wii u if they find out you've been using hacks. No one here is willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for new wii U's every time nintendo bricks it.

You're also talking to the largest smash bros community on the entire web, do you honestly think, that if these kinds of hacks existed for smash, we WOULDN'T know about em? or that we'd keep it somehow secret from millions except a small select few, just so we could troll the online random modes?

You'd have to be extremely ignorant and gullible to believe something so ridiculous.

Just like the op, you have to bring some proof of these ridiculous claims you're making. Videos showing someone who goes from complete crap to suddenly 3 stocking you in a 2v1.

just like before with the OP, one of two things are likely happening, you're full of crap and making these claims out of saltiness for being beaten, or you're mistaking certain completely intentional physics in smash as "hacks" likely both.

The burden of proof falls on you and the op, you two are the ones making these insane claims that you've somehow run into hundreds of hackers where as the rest of us here seem to have not had such bad luck. You two are the ones who need to show some actual video proof of these matches showing a hacker at work. Otherwise you're claims are baseless, and come off more as you making excuses for losing.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I have a feeling OP is playing online tourney mode and encounters players with equiptment on while not knowing you can use equiptment.
Sonic having stat boosts after hitting 50% sounds like one of those OP temp buffs to me

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
And chances are most if not all of you guys know this too. If anything many of you probably join in the unscrupulous behavior but it wouldn't seem that way at first glance from how innocently many of you present yourselves on a public online forum. It's ridiculous how many players are actually insane and evil enough do these crazy things. And its every where you go too, whether it be For Glory, Anthers Ladder, Reddit, Gamefaqs, or right here on Smash boards, It seems like almost everyone is doing it.
Lol wat?

I know there's quite a few toxic players in the community, and sadly that can't quite be helped; however, just because there's some toxicity it doesn't mean each and every one of us is infected with it. From what you've stated it sounds like you're saying "If I can't see your face and/or reactions then you're one of those faceless trolls that go online". There is some truth in what you say though, kinda.

It's quite easy to pretend to be something you aren't online, and also pretty easy to manipulate certain folks and pull the wool over their eyes. That's the internet for you, and some people will take advantage of the anonymity it gives just to be a total ***hat to others.

Despite this though, not every single person you meet online is going to be like this. The internet isn't as much as a cesspool that people like to believe it is, and the same can be said for the Smash Community as well. Again, just because there's a few bad apples it doesn't mean everyone is going to be a bad apple. Don't judge anyone, or a whole community for that matter because of them.
I believe the proper term is "Sandbagging".

There's no connection manipulation involved, it's just someone choosing not to play seriously against you.
I have a feeling OP is playing online tourney mode and encounters players with equiptment on while not knowing you can use equiptment.

Sonic having stat boosts after hitting 50% sounds like one of those OP temp buffs to me
Ya know... I think you might be onto something. I didn't even think about that, and that would make sense I suppose.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
There is still one more thing, that make the arguments invalid. If what he said is true, then why have i neither seen knockback/hitboxes/speed manipulations, god-mode or what ever else comes into our mind when reading the first post in the jerk corner. in hundreds of games in my hell chronicles, have i not come 1 foot closer to one of those described cases.

As far as we know ... the penalty for cheating is a place where you can not connect to others, only if they are marked as you are. Such people, would be between weeks gone in heaven, and after that between hours, if they continue using it. meaning: this prison place we call hell in this community, would be flooded with such people and they could using it without restrictions, because u cant get further than that. But i didnt encounter one single soul....ironically only damn good player.s....who were banned without good reasons ( more like oversensitive saltiness)...and this is a example of who und what someone is accused of...nothing more then a mere joke.

I wonder, how many were banned bcause of this dude and his soft teletubby friends.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Show us a replay, or otherwise I'm just going to assume your new to the game and don't know what some things are.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I just did a Youtube search for Smash 4 hacks, and I didn't even find anything other than that Etika video I linked earlier. Yeah, this really isn't helping his point...

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure you're not playing tournament mode with equipment? Cuz I have almost 10k battles on FG and I have never ever seen anything like that.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
1200 matches and I have never met a cheater

Give us replays and until you do all I see is a salty terrible player

You also could be hella high when you play FG

fehector

Smash Cadet
Hail stannis,

let me throw another idea into the pool of guesses....he needs glasses? the good ones. Definitely.

what amuses me, is that the thread maker didnt once denied or just answered the posts, where people beleave the total contrary of his statement. Now the users do that 1 thing, what they were accused of at the beginning...they are talking about their own experience of encountering cheats online for the first time in many cases...yet i don't see him do the same, although he is asked or meant almost in every message directly or indirectly, to prove it somehow. Just 1 short answer that he, as a very interested person in those kind of things, somehow doesnt manage to grab even 1 single replay...or atleast after that....i mean he meets those focken' game destroying and cheating cu.nts eeeevery day, so let the replays roll in man.

Meanwhile he probably knows himself, that he was wrong. Atleast you could admit it.

Last edited:

HYP3R

Smash Lord
https://youtu.be/EH-qHfd8kcg?t=2m16s
I saw this clip in Alpharad's video and was just as surprised as you are.
I did some research, found out that modding is still possible on the latest update. However, both players have to have the mods installed or else it will desync.
Before I start seeing panic baskets let me make this clear: This does not affect your online gameplay at all. Both players have to have the mod for it to even work.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/EH-qHfd8kcg?t=2m16s
I saw this clip in Alpharad's video and was just as surprised as you are.
I did some research, found out that modding is still possible on the latest update. However, both players have to have the mods installed or else it will desync.
Before I start seeing panic baskets let me make this clear: This does not affect your online gameplay at all. Both players have to have the mod for it to even work.
I believe that was just a little editing magic, I don't think he has a mod to get the smash ball after taunting. Then again, the brawl mod community fooled me before with how silly some things can be.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
I believe that was just a little editing magic, I don't think he has a mod to get the smash ball after taunting. Then again, the brawl mod community fooled me before with how silly some things can be.
I thought it was editing too, but I've looked at Smash4Modder's other videos and he does use mods.

Here is the Giga Bowser video in question:

https://youtu.be/SROkhEfZcAk?t=1m2s

As you can see Bowser's Up Taunt is slower, and the other players are also able to become Giga.

In case you're still skeptical, here's a Turbo Ryu video, similar to Project M's turbo mode.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was editing too, but I've looked at Smash4Modder's other videos and he does use mods.

Here is the Giga Bowser video in question:

https://youtu.be/SROkhEfZcAk?t=1m2s

As you can see Bowser's Up Taunt is slower, and the other players are also able to become Giga.

In case you're still skeptical, here's a Turbo Ryu video, similar to Project M's turbo mode.

Oh man, that Ryu video gave me a laugh. Yeah, Smash 4 modding is progressing way faster than I thought.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Going on 9400 matches now, primarily 1v1. Number of cheaters encountered thusfar: 0.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I only encountered 2 types of weird hiccups in this game, both on 3DS. I imagine they weren't cheating, but merely glitches:

1) I fought a Mii (Sword Fighter I think?) on For Glory 1v1. I don't think think this is a selectable option on FG. That or nobody uses him

2) After a match, I had it where my opponent and I were the opposite profiles in the FG 1v1 lobby. When I left the room, it went back to normal.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
Noooopeeee. Tbh I'm fairly sure it's impossible to cheat on the Wii U or 3DS. What you saw sounds like normal play. Ganondorf's capable of doing that whole death combo thing without any "cheating". He's a heavy hitting character, after all.

Top Bottom