• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is ness < kirby

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I...really don't think your tier list is accurate...~_~
But then, this isn't a tier list discussion. Funny how we always come back to this when we get to character comparisons.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Lol, that's for proving my point as well. XD

However, making a tier list like that for SSB64 would be stupid. It'd look kinda like this:
It's basically saying that ranking on usage/threat in metagame is a bad idea for SSB64, cause the scene is so small. It also makes ranking character skills hard, because people know very little about all chars and are "throwing darts".

I know the list is ********, read the rest of the post. :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Isai's link is so much different from any other human playing him though. Isai playing characters throws the tier discussion off kelter. At least for me sometimes. Except when I see his pikachu I'm confident pikachu as top tier character is certain.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Don't use isais characters as a reference for the tier list, hes obviously better with the characters he likes most, like everybody

Superstar

Smash Champion
Who mentioned Isai? I just went by what I see being used effectively and stabbed in the dark. Too few people play SSB64 to any reasonable level. XD

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i was only mentioning Isai to just give a reason why pikachu is so good. He was wondering why pikachu was so good.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Isai is not the reason pika is good

Thread has become dumb!(started that way too i suppose)
I was just giving an example of someone who uses pikachu really well.......its not the reason.

Pikachu is good for having the only really good recovery in smash 64, has incredible priority, and has some of the best aerial combos and setup moves in the game.

Kirby is still incredibly good but good pikachu's are just berserk.

Another big reason is that pikachu's grab>>>>>>>kirby's grab.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why is Ness Worse?
I have a bad feeling about this thread....

Ness has a superb recovery
WTF? Easiest recovery to edgeguard in the game?

his PSI magnet can regenetate health
Leaves you open, you will be PUNISHED if you overuse.

he has 2 projectiles
Too bad they both suck.

his PK thunder can be used as a Ledge guard
Doesn't really do much to someone recovering.

He has a great forward smash,
Lol...

different down and up smashes
They both suck. And other characters don't?

Ness also has one of the Best spikes in the game
So does Kirby =/

so why isnt he better than Kirby
Kirby is really easy easy to combo with, up-tilt is easy to land/ has invisible/ starts combos/ traps in shield stun. Camping works really well, multiple jumps, good edgeguarding, priority, among other reasons.

Superstar

Smash Champion
They both suck. And other characters don't?
Again, usmash is a combo move. Pops up the opponent quite nicely, and can be done after a DJC uair at mid percents [and after a utilt at lower].

Everything else, I completely agree.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Why is Ness Worse?

Ness has a superb recovery, his PSI magnet can regenetate health, he has 2 projectiles and his PK thunder can be used as a Ledge guard. He has a great forward smash, different down and up smashes and can double jump cancel. Ness also has one of the Best spikes in the game, so why isnt he better than Kirby.

... While Ness is trying to use " PK Thunder ", Kirby can easily spike him or hit him before he recovers...

Superstar

Smash Champion
Or wait for him to finish and bair him off.

His recovery is so bad that it's the only reason many people have for Ness sucking. :p

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Or wait for him to finish and bair him off.

His recovery is so bad that it's the only reason many people have for Ness sucking. :p
eh? it's like half the reason.

The other is that his on the stage game isn't the greatest either. ^__^

like it would certainly make him much more of a threat if he had an average recovery, but I doubt he'd crack top 4...

S8on95

Smash Cadet
Kirby is that big pink blob everyone hates. It skipped Melee and in Brawl it has blue skin. I personally think why Ness is so good on the tier list in the first place is because it has more ways to perform 0- Death combos since isn't that really what happens in this game most of the time? Also has anyone seen Sima play Ness. Hes insane. Also a good ness rarely gets caugh don't they

Finally don't belive that list, it brings no good to anyone.

And i suck alot and this is based on me seeing sima play

greenblob

Smash Lord
Hey, look at it this way. The main reason Link is Bottom Tier is because of his recovery. Ness is getting off easy.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The only reason people mention. They usually don't mention his approach, which is why he's supposed to play a defensive game rather than an offensive one. :p

Which is another way of thinking about matchups. Those good at forcing an approach, like Mario, have an advantage.

Link has other problems. Bad grab, for example, and can't edgeguard as well as he'd like [cause of recovery, Ness has range on recovery so he can go farther, just can't get past edgeguarding opponent. Can still edgeguard though, just not teh best]. He has some sick projectiles though.

Winston

Smash Master
The only reason people mention. They usually don't mention his approach, which is why he's supposed to play a defensive game rather than an offensive one. :p

Which is another way of thinking about matchups. Those good at forcing an approach, like Mario, have an advantage.

Link has other problems. Bad grab, for example, and can't edgeguard as well as he'd like [cause of recovery, Ness has range on recovery so he can go farther, just can't get past edgeguarding opponent. Can still edgeguard though, just not teh best]. He has some sick projectiles though.
I don't think that it's those who force an approach per se so much as those who can handle the approach/first hits from neutral position game overall. But yeah, that is the other reason why Ness ain't so great.

Link can edgeguard fine, can't he? He can certainly take out sweetspotters with fsmash or ftilt, he can jump out nair for close range, and he can throw boomerangs to disrupt recovery. I mean sure, he's not Pikachu, but that's not what I usually think of when I think of Link's weaknesses.

S8on95

Smash Cadet
This is because one person decided to come up with <sarcasm> a wonderful ingenious idea</sarcasm> which involves a list of which character is better than which. No offense to creator of tier lists.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
This is because one person decided to come up with <sarcasm> a wonderful ingenious idea</sarcasm> which involves a list of which character is better than which. No offense to creator of tier lists.
if by one person you mean the people at the top of a competitive community then you're right

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The tier list in ssb64 is irrelevant.

there aren't many good ssb64 players out there compared to say, great melee players. You can't pull up enough consistent statistics, and some players just dominate too much in their respective countries, you know who you are.

Ssb64 is pure fun since 1999

S8on95

Smash Cadet
0- Death made me play SSB. I remembered when all i did was use b moves cuz i didn't know anything else :laugh:

Also I mean the idea of comparing characters in any game, but for this community yes

greenblob

Smash Lord
What's wrong with comparing characters?

And we could make a decent SSB tier list if Isai weren't so god**** good.

Winston

Smash Master
What's wrong with comparing characters?

And we could make a decent SSB tier list if Isai weren't so god**** good.
we can still make a decent SSB tier list. It'd be lots better than the Brawl tier list =P

we just can't make a perfect tier list like the Melee one.

But Dylan is right in that the tier list is irrelevant. haha

but you're right in that it's fun to discuss matchups and things, at least for some of us =)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I like matchup discussion 10000000000000x better than tier discussion. We should have a sub forum for every single matchup, who is with me???

kirbypika

Smash Cadet
The problem is, the 64 community isn't very active, and even the Melee community just recently got their forums back.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Yeah. PK Money = greatest attack ever.

In Earthbound, you get a PSI named after your favorite thing. I put Money, and it was lol. Ah yeah, and Ness doesn't talk, except in Magicant when you talk with yourself. Your only attacking spells are PK favthing and PK Flash. Other than that, Ness' primary use in Earthbound is the defensive tank/team support. Later in the game Ness should rarely IF EVER attack.

...lol at similarities.

Top Bottom