• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Luigi so good?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm sure he'd appreciated it. I think he's pretty good for training at home with me sometimes or with Bombz....aside from that only CPU's.

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
He is really good! The wavedash down smash approaches are good, but wavedash ftilt for spacing above 50 is a good habbit to get into. Also try utilting out of a wavedash.

Basically anything i could say is mix things up more.

e.g. Almost every time in the first 4 videos that i saw you wavedash jab you dsmashed, when you can also grab, jab combo, ftilt, or even up b out of a jab if you think youre cool enough :D

Two things that i didnt see much of were grab-> ****. He really didnt grab too much (in the first four, i didnt get to watch the rest) and for heavies and fast fallers, luigis grab game is super good. Another thing is short hop dair/fair/bair approaches. Watch recent Ka master videos and most of his approaches are sh dair to wavedash or nair, so i would mix up luigis air game into your approaches, since you are very good with it for edgeguarding and comboing. Im honestly not that great but im pretty sure the stuff i said should help

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I have to agree about the Chain grabbing but he's never really needed it. However he's been working on adding it to his arsenal especially against Spacies because....well why not. :laugh:

I'll make sure he gets this though.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Not chain grabbing specifically, though it's good to get regrabs on spacies at low percents. I mean the true chain grabbing only works on FD anyway.

But Luigi has to grab to succeed, not only because his grabs usually lead to **** if they don't DI the throw, but also to make shielding less safe vs. him.

I agree about using wavedash ftilt more starting at mid percents. You can usually follow it up with something good if it hits, and it has longer range than dsmash.

I don't really agree with what you said about approaching more with sh aerials. I don't think ka master really approaches with them, as in wavedashes towards them in neutral and does a sh aerial, much. He does aerials mostly wavelanding from platforms (which is way better than doing them out of a sh randomly), and when he predicts that they're going to approach with an aerial. A sh chop or dair will usually beat out falco or fox's approaching aerials so it's good to use when you predict they approach, but if they miss you are pretty vulnerable and lose the ability to crouch cancel.

I think ka master really favors wavedash jab -> grab and wavedash ftilt, with aerial approaches less common and wavedash smash even less so. At least against space animals.

Wavedash utilt and usmash are great approaches vs Falcon.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Wavedash-Utilt/Usmash is very useful against Falcon that is very true. As well as Grab-**** being underutilized. I'll be sure to forward this to him.

~love you all....no homo.

Vist

Smash Champion
spam_arrows you guys should come to md/va tournaments sometime. Milford, DE is like 2 hrs straight east from me and about the same for most of the d.c. & baltimore metro areas.

we've got a few good luigis here also :cool:

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Not chain grabbing specifically, though it's good to get regrabs on spacies at low percents. I mean the true chain grabbing only works on FD anyway.

But Luigi has to grab to succeed, not only because his grabs usually lead to **** if they don't DI the throw, but also to make shielding less safe vs. him.

I agree about using wavedash ftilt more starting at mid percents. You can usually follow it up with something good if it hits, and it has longer range than dsmash.

I don't really agree with what you said about approaching more with sh aerials. I don't think ka master really approaches with them, as in wavedashes towards them in neutral and does a sh aerial, much. He does aerials mostly wavelanding from platforms (which is way better than doing them out of a sh randomly), and when he predicts that they're going to approach with an aerial. A sh chop or dair will usually beat out falco or fox's approaching aerials so it's good to use when you predict they approach, but if they miss you are pretty vulnerable and lose the ability to crouch cancel.

I think ka master really favors wavedash jab -> grab and wavedash ftilt, with aerial approaches less common and wavedash smash even less so. At least against space animals.

Wavedash utilt and usmash are great approaches vs Falcon.

Youre totally right. i made it kinda quick but i forgot to say, i meant as approaches for shield pressure. Maybe im wrong, but he seemed to only shield pressure with a dsmash and just rely on the fact that it pushed him away, and i guess that works, but i was talking about how ka likes to dair-> nair on shield or dair to waveland back. And yeah he does jab -> grab alot but spam arrows friend actually utilized jab mixups well i think.

On another note, lately ive seen some luigi videos (ka master and eddy mexico is what ive mostly been watching) where they will wavedash ftilt at low percents. And they seem to do decently not getting punished, but i always get punished, even with perfect spacing. I guess im asking if there is a trick to it, if you should even do it at low percents, and if so when to do it vs a dsmash or jab mixup.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Youre totally right. i made it kinda quick but i forgot to say, i meant as approaches for shield pressure. Maybe im wrong, but he seemed to only shield pressure with a dsmash and just rely on the fact that it pushed him away, and i guess that works, but i was talking about how ka likes to dair-> nair on shield or dair to waveland back. And yeah he does jab -> grab alot but spam arrows friend actually utilized jab mixups well i think.

On another note, lately ive seen some luigi videos (ka master and eddy mexico is what ive mostly been watching) where they will wavedash ftilt at low percents. And they seem to do decently not getting punished, but i always get punished, even with perfect spacing. I guess im asking if there is a trick to it, if you should even do it at low percents, and if so when to do it vs a dsmash or jab mixup.
I don't think you should actively try to hit their shield with an aerial in most matchups, because most characters have something to hit you with for free provided they know the oos timing.

depending on where you hit their shield from:

Sheik - nair/fair
Marth - fair/ wd oos fsmash
Falcon/Ganon - bair/uair/nair
Fox/Falco - bair/nair/shine/upsmash

etc.

The timing is tricky and they are somewhat likely to mess it up sometimes/let you get away with it if they don't have tons of Luigi experience, but I don't think it's something to rely on.

I mean if you end up hitting their shield with dair, it's a good option, but that's making the best of a bad situation.

As for ftilt, I know what you mean and I haven't gotten it to work at lower percents much either. So idk.

Top Bottom