• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is DK considered to be the worst?

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
I hate this thread because I believe it gives the wrong impression to new players that DK is bad. We should all just let this thread die already. Hes the best of the heavy's imo and anyone whoever talk **** on him i immediately challenge to a customs off MM. Haven't lost yet.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
@Big O
Quite the pessimist. I see it as they changed him unnecessarily for the worst. Still don't see him being as good as he once was. Nowhere near the worst char in the game, tho.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
To say he's the worst is down right stupid. Every character is good if you know how to use them. Tiers are dumb. Just salty people who vote against certain characters because they can't beat them in For Glory. Speed doesn't always mean win. Ganon and DDD good examples. Don't look at tiers just git gud.
:dk:
The people who talk about tiers and say that DK is bad aren't the ones who play FG. They're the ones who go to tournaments and play much better players than what you see on FG.

When people say DK is bad, they're talking about in competitive play. Saying 'anyone is good in the right hands' doesn't mean anything unless you're taking games off high level players in tournaments. They're not talking about casual play, they could win with any character against casuals. Any character is viable in casual play because the standard is so low relative to competitive play. I think casuals who have never played against competitive players don't understand how large the disparity in skill is. They don't understand how much higher the level of play is for the people who are saying DK is bad.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I hate this thread because I believe it gives the wrong impression to new players that DK is bad. We should all just let this thread die already. Hes the best of the heavy's imo and anyone whoever talk **** on him i immediately challenge to a customs off MM. Haven't lost yet.
DK is bad tbh...im sorry..and trust me i am a huge DK fan he is so fun and can do some crazy stuff...i really wish he was better..but he is bad...
He is litreally the worse heavyweight..
Ike and Charizard got buffed.
And Bowser/DDD was always better.

Ganon can do some nasty stuff to him to.

Sigh...DK needs alot of work..
But im not even sure how he can be better...i dunno he just doesnt feel right..

Making him faster or even stronger i dont think is the answer funnily enough thats always the answer in most cases...

I think he just needs less eng lag on
FAir.
Down B on the ground and in the Air.
Side Tilt needs to come out faster its pathetic weak and is slow... it should be strong.
Up Tilt and down tilt are really good.
Aerials are fine.

Giant punch needs to come out faster and have abit less end lag.
And it needs to be stronger...
Or atleast charge up even faster..

It may sound like i want his giant punch to be OP but im really not....

It got nerferd sooo hard...i dont know why...

It was so dangerous in melee

And i dont know about how it was in brawl that game sucked didnt play it.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
well if you consider Ike a heavyweight I think he can def. be considered better than DK now, and charizard is right there with him, maybe a little below DK without customs. I should play zard too, seems like a cool character and that buff to his throw seems like something i'd like to do lol. but bowser/ddd are not better than DK

I think if they made his grounded spinning kong able to reel people in even on the first hit (no matter when its started), or just fundamentally reworked his forward air so it was something like it was in SB64 (but obv make it a weaker spike) he could deal with people like Luigi, diddy and others better that have a good throw and short hop game. Maybe even slightly buff neutral air somehow, because in those situations its useless. They nerfed him so hard from sb64 to melee that we are still feeling the effects of it today. I'm also feeling that nerf on cargo upthrow to upair, damn I cant get that to work at low %s anymore on a lot of the cast, was def. a huge nerf.

Last edited:

Tujex

Smash Ace
I don't think it should deter new dk's, I think this thread let's them know what they're getting into. Playing DK is not really "easy" in this game, and it's a MUST that you know all of the information that's been stated here so you now what not to do.

The dude needs hella work. I agree with what someone said earier, that multiplayer is probably why he's built this way, but it doesn't change the fact that in a 1 v 1....he's gonna have a really hard time watching his own back as big as may be.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i find hes better in Sm4sh than any previous installments. 64 he didnt seem "finished" to me, Melee is anti-heavy due to the sheer speed a lot of characters can reach, Brawl was iffy but i love him in sm4sh.

Yes he has some major flaws that can be abused, but they can be worked around if you know what youre doing. I have well over 200 games with him with roughly 60% winrate (would be higher but my worst matchup being Shiek means i have issues since i see her WAY too often).

I'd rate him somewhere around mid-upper tier. Hes good enough to use if you just wanna use DK and be able to play competitively, but theres better options if all you care about is winning (not me).
Main reason i use him is the triple meteor options. Nothing more enjoyable than pulling off the gif in my signature :D

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Viability he's about equal here and in brawl, in 64 he was someone that was even more viable until you reached isai level tier, and in melee he was just trash although usable if you insisted.

LoWF JayX

Smash Rookie
i don't know i like dentist but he's not the worst. He is just misunderstood. I liked legend of the crystal coconut.

Kanvas

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3583-1315-1561
Well if you need some visuals why hes not that bad, I was gonna say VGbootcamp has videos uploaded of smash @ Pax where M2k put work into shieks and diddys with his donkey kong, can check it out if you want.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well if you need some visuals why hes not that bad, I was gonna say VGbootcamp has videos uploaded of smash @ Pax where M2k put work into shieks and diddys with his donkey kong, can check it out if you want.
Everyone thought he was bad before cargo uthrow got buffed and gave him 40%+ combos and kill confirms at like 70% M2K only picked up DK after the buff. No one in their right mind thinks he's low tier anymore

Last edited:

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
M2K got 3rd at his last Sm4sh tournament with DK beating MVD. Started from the bottom now we're buffed. No more excuses.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Why is this whole thread depressing when DK is garnering good results in tourney? DK is easily the best of the heavies and has pretty ok MUs vs the tops san Sheik. He's upper mid, and not once did I ever consider him bottom tier. IMO

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why is this whole thread depressing when DK is garnering good results in tourney? DK is easily the best of the heavies and has pretty ok MUs vs the tops san Sheik. He's upper mid, and not once did I ever consider him bottom tier. IMO
Firstly 'being one of the best heavies' isn't saying much when heavies are typically bad in high level play

Secondly, this thread was made before the cargo uthrow buff, which gave him 40%+ combos and kill confirms off grabs at 70%.

He was not good before the buff, now he's good.

Maybe someone should lock this to stop more people posting without understanding the context of the OP

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Nah before he was good, now he's very good (but not great)

Top Bottom