• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why is all-star SO HARD?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Seriously, I've been taking about 5 tries with Villager so far.

ON EASY MODE

Seriously, why is it so bad now? It wasn't that easy in 3ds but at least it was fair

It takes up to the 200% to even ko anything.
Again, on easy

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just wait until you have to play the hard difficulty level...

Anyway, you'll just have to play harder and smarter to complete All-Star mode.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Its really not hard at all >_>

I think its probably one of the easiest All-stars smash has had. Yes. On hard difficulty.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
I did all star hard with villager first try. Go to the end of the stage and spam down-B forever. They are too stupid to do anything about it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This all-star mode is easier than brawl's all star mode. Brawl's All-Star mode was bull****.
I beat this one on hard in single player, it's actually not that hard. This one has less rounds than brawl's, but more challengers each round. I honestly prefer it this way. Really easier for me. It also helps due to the fact that there are better stages this time around, no more do I have to deal with crap like Mario Bros or Mushroomy Kingdom.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
all-star is not that bad. The only problem is hard mode when you use a character you're really not familiar with. Just try to find a move that screws the IA, every character has a simple pattern that you can abuse against AI

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I really dislike All Star mode on hard, but I do want to get the challenges affiliated with it...

I already beat it on hard with G&W, R.O.B., Wario, WFT and Meta Knight and ma, some of those victories were really clutchy.

Here is something i noticed that may help you out:

The enemies' launching power is reduced significantly, HOWEVER their projectiles are still really strong. Go for the characters first that have projectiles with kill power, Like Samus (charge shot) or DeDeDe (those effing gordos). Because the AI gangs up on you, you may not see one of them shooting a strong projectile, killing you out of nowhere

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
I've found these are the chars that like to screw you over the most: Pikachu (spams neutral B forever), Diddy, Ness (LOVES skilling with up smash), DeDeDe (gordo's), Charizard (likes using Down B which has armor), Ganon, Falco (again neutral B spam), Samus (more projectiles), and Lucario sometimes insta-kills you with a fully charged neutral B if he gets to a high percent.

Basically stages 3 and 4 on the wii u version are really annoying.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Well, I managed to do it, like, sixth try.
It would have helped tremendously if they made like the 3DS version and removed stage hazards. I swear most of my failings were down to those crab things for f-zero cars that do the same knockback on all-star.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I did it on Hard with a few more characters today.

I seriously think it's character/stage dependent. Most characters I have an easy time with. But even then, many of the stages can screw you over. My least favourites (in the context of All-Star) are Yoshi's Island Melee, Kalos Pokémon League, Woolly World, Port Down Aero Dive, Gamer, Castle Siege, Mario Kart Stadium, and Garden of Hope. Seriously, these stages are just so annoying to deal with.

My favourite stage is Norfair. The lava literally does 100% damage to the opponents in All Star (or something close to that), and it's so easy to make them touch it. Half of the time, the AI just walk into it. It can potentially KO them too. And they scramble around aimlessly a lot due to the platform layout.

Certain opponents are also kinda annoying. While he's not so much a problem, Dr. Mario is the most ANNOYING. All he ever does is use the damn cape to turn me around, and then other opponents body me from there. It's just a huge nuisance and looks incredibly stupid every time.

And some characters are just inherently crap at All-Star. It took me forever to do with Jigglypuff and Peach. They have no easy KO moves (Rest is not worth the trouble on Hard Mode), Jigglypuff has very short reach, Jigglypuff is SO light that the toned down launch power of your opponents is still threatening to her, Peach has an awkward recovery should you need to get back and can't really deal with three people bodying her at once, and Peach is kinda slow too and doesn't have the power to back it up for something like this.

I also had some trouble with Mega Man. His calculated and calm playstyle which works fine in normal matches, no longer works here. His attacks just have too much lag to deal with 3 people trying to body him. His Down Smash easily gets rid of people if you hit them with it, but you have quite the cooldown after using it.

Pac-Man was also a pain to do it with, but I think I was just burned out that time.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I did it on Hard with a few more characters today.

I seriously think it's character/stage dependent. Most characters I have an easy time with. But even then, many of the stages can screw you over. My least favourites (in the context of All-Star) are Yoshi's Island Melee, Kalos Pokémon League, Woolly World, Port Down Aero Dive, Gamer, Castle Siege, Mario Kart Stadium, and Garden of Hope. Seriously, these stages are just so annoying to deal with.
I actually hope for Garden of Hope in All-Star. You can play keep away until the crabs come by, then just fly above it and let it destroy the CPUs.

Then again, this was during the Duck Hunt challenge, and DH can just fly over the crab effortlessly. It might not work as easily for some characters.

I also had some trouble with Mega Man. His calculated and calm playstyle which works fine in normal matches, no longer works here. His attacks just have too much lag to deal with 3 people trying to body him. His Down Smash easily gets rid of people if you hit them with it, but you have quite the cooldown after using it..
I haven't tried it on Hard with Mega Man, but I would think his b-air and d-tilt would be good for racking up damage (as well as Metal Blade), and his u-air might actually be a decent kill move. That move works wonders in Classic mode.

Last edited:

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Peach is easy. Spam Peach Bomber, side smash, and forward air while floating just barely off the ground. Up smash if enemy is above you.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Peach is easy. Spam Peach Bomber, side smash, and forward air while floating just barely off the ground. Up smash if enemy is above you.
Stuff like that only works if they are spread out, which is not often.

Like I said, Peach can't take being bodied. Other characters have ways of dealing with it (Sonic can barrel through with Spin Dash, Rosalina has superb range and her Luma), but Peach is someone you have to play smart with and separate the crowd one by one with.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Well I find her easy. She hits a significant area and has hitboxes that linger as well as toad if you're surrounded. Enemies never do anything about peach bomber.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I wanted to 100% the game but I heard you had to beat all star with all characters on hard.

(I'll still do it though but once I'm done with everything else)

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
I wanted to 100% the game but I heard you had to beat all star with all characters on hard.

(I'll still do it though but once I'm done with everything else)
Thankfully you can use a hammer on that challenge.

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
I am simply seething right now trying to get the All-Star Hard challenge finished. Doing Olimar is a downright challenge up and in itself. He simply lacks a sure-fire kill move and he cannot do jack-squat when he is ganged up by the AI.

Combine that with his lightweight, and you are spelling a date with salty disaster.

Stressedllamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
StressedLlamas
3DS FC
0791-2652-8027
I am simply seething right now trying to get the All-Star Hard challenge finished. Doing Olimar is a downright challenge up and in itself. He simply lacks a sure-fire kill move and he cannot do jack-squat when he is ganged up by the AI.

Combine that with his lightweight, and you are spelling a date with salty disaster.
Actually Blue Pikmin are the one with decent kill throws, if you get 2 purple and a blue its easy as pi

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
I think forward tilt might be his best bet at killing in all-star. His smashes have awful kill power, except maybe with a purple pikmin.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think it is partly due to the way the stages are designed... most of them are walk-off stages or transforming stages or both.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I've noticed that the AI appears to be slightly more intelligent in the Wii U version than in the 3DS version, so there is that too. Individually it isn't much, but in groups they can become troublesome if a stage favors group tactics.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's sad knowing that while you can scapegoat playing the higher difficulty levels in Smash 3DS, that's not an option in Smash Wii U, since a couple of the harder All-Star mode challenges are immune to Golden Hammers.

Just be thankful that clearing All-Star on hard with everyone can be avoided with a Golden Hammer. Sadly, I can't say the same thing for clearing true All-Star on normal or higher without healing between rounds, clearing true All-Star on hard, and clearing true Solo All-Star on hard as Duck Hunt; all three of those challenges are immune to Golden Hammers.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
All-Star isn't too hard on Easy, or even Medium, especially when the CPUs stay in one place for a few seconds. It also depends on the stage, due to its cruel random selection. I'm not a fan of the Pokemon League stage getting picked.

At least you don't lose anything when playing All-Star mode. You still get money or prizes that you pick up.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
All-Star isn't that hard at all :/ Just need to play smarter. Lure the CPU into your attacks, and make sure you know your character's launches. You can't just barge on into fights taking damage.

I've noticed that the AI appears to be slightly more intelligent in the Wii U version than in the 3DS version, so there is that too. Individually it isn't much, but in groups they can become troublesome if a stage favors group tactics.
That's thanks to the higher processing power for the Wii U. The AI can actually run smarter.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Speaking of All Star, I noted while playing that certain stages no longer have their hazards and act like the version for 8 players. Examples:
Pokemon Stadium 2: No transformations
Wii Fit Studio: No mirror
Town and City/Smashville: No extraneous characters
Mario Circuit (Brawl): No Shy Guys
So those stages are easier/harder now thanks to the update. (Also, could someone check Pyrosphere/Lylat Cruise for any changes?)

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I actually think it's incredibly easy, even True All Star Mode. I literally beat it on Hard with Sonic by just walking up to the CPU and using side smashes on them, given the increased knockback/damage they take. They just sit there and take it. Yeah you take a few hits but it's easy. Now beating it without healing for challenge... If you could use customisations it'd be so easy, sadly you can't. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to cheese through it if you're desperate though.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Customizations would definitely break the spirit of All-Star mode from previous versions, hence the reason Brawl did not allow the use of stickers here either. Smash 4 definitely made the formula correct for All-Star, since the cast continues to grow in each sequel.

As for beating it without healing, it is quite easy with Kirby, even on Hard mode, by merely jumping up high, and spamming his rock on everyone. Unfortunately the game does not award anything special for doing this, not even a Milestone....

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Speaking of All Star, I noted while playing that certain stages no longer have their hazards and act like the version for 8 players. Examples:
So those stages are easier/harder now thanks to the update. (Also, could someone check Pyrosphere/Lylat Cruise for any changes?)
no Ridley for Pyrosphere (Well........ duh)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I can only beat This mode with Kirby and Luigi... Maybe Mario too, never tryed, but yeah, really hard

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed this while playing today as well.

Norfair doesn't have lava.
Luigi's Mansion can't be destroyed.

I haven't gotten the Gamer stage at all in my last 4 or so playthroughs either, but I might just be lucky.

Last edited:

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
Sadly, I can't say the same thing for clearing true All-Star on normal or higher without healing between rounds, clearing true All-Star on hard, and clearing true Solo All-Star on hard as Duck Hunt; all three of those challenges are immune to Golden Hammers.
Actually, clearing true All-Star on normal or higher without healing between rounds is actually REALLY easy. If you use Lucario and spam f-smash, they die in one hit especially if your percentage is higher than 50%. Did it on my first try with him :). He is very good for challenges like that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, clearing true All-Star on normal or higher without healing between rounds is actually REALLY easy. If you use Lucario and spam f-smash, they die in one hit especially if your percentage is higher than 50%. Did it on my first try with him :). He is very good for challenges like that.
Sadly, you have to do this as Captain Falcon to complete his challenge, so if you're trying to kill two birds with one stone, you pretty much "have" to use him.

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
Sadly, you have to do this as Captain Falcon to complete his challenge, so if you're trying to kill two birds with one stone, you pretty much "have" to use him.
Still if you want to make it easier by splitting it into two challenges, he is pretty much a golden hammer for that challenge.
Btdubs, what is Cap. Fal. challenge?

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
I used to have trouble with this mode, but I can do it reliably on hard mode now. Stay near the center of the stage and you should be fine. It's easiest with characters who have strong finishers. The Pokemon round is easily the hardest round IMO.

Top Bottom