• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why IGN sucks and should not be allowed to review games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Beware of rampant stupidity!

Did anyone actually read their review? I watched the video review and that killed all desire to read their review.

Why? Because the video review was pathetic.

Ok, level with me here. I can understand if a reviewer who's not a Competitive fighting game player reviews it from a Casual angle. It's a different thing altogether to not have researched your facts to just not know what you're talking about.

The review started with the erroneous use of the word "depth". One of the reviewers claimed a lot of SSBB's depth comes from the SSE. Say what now? Since when is that the correct use of the word?

Minor nuisance, though, compared to what is yet to come.

They claim that Fox and Falco are new (while mentioning new characters, they name drop a few and then say "The trio that is Fox, Falco and Wolf". They also claim they're identical and that Sonic is cool and interesting (despite half his moveset being Spin Attack).

The following idiotic statements were actually made within an period of less than 20 seconds:
* "The Midair Dodge" (i.e. Airdodging) is a new addition! (Which makes you wonder, how the hell did these clowns Wavedash or think Wavedashing worked in Melee?!)
* Brawl is faster than Melee (yeah, in what alternate universe?)!

Oh, and they claim Meta-Knight is the best character in the game after 3 weeks with it.

I tuned out after that. You see, the review was a blatant display of a reviewer who does not even know simple gaming lingo and who had no idea what they're talking about. Have they even played Melee? Seriously, Fox and Falco are new?

But what's the most laughable is that they think the airdodge is new and that Brawl is faster than Melee!

Seriously, these people get paid for spouting these lies?!

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
first! reserved!

I read the entire review earlier. At first, I was angry. Then after finishing it, I started thinking, "they are right."

The subspace is lame.

yep, i said it. The CGs are great...but the story is poo, the randomness is 100%, and the explanation is non-existant. That stuff, a story does not make.

The online experience alone should merit a -.5 in the score.

Remember, these guys are reviewing EVERYTHING about the game. A 9.5 is a very fair score.

And i suggest reading the review. I actually only read the first page, and the closing comments...lol, maybe you should just do that.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
9.5 = wonderful score.

they showed some love to the Game Boy, but as far as consoles go, Ocarina of Time is THE ONLY CONSOLE GAME IGN HAS EVER GIVEN 10/10 to.

jeeze when it comes to IGN, this is an excellent score.

You for teh loss.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Stealing the quote that says you cant spell ignorance without ign.

Just wait for Yahtzee Crosshaw to review it then you'll have an accurate judgement.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
9.5 = wonderful score.
I'm not one of the fanboys who's mad the game didn't receive a 10.

they showed some love to the Game Boy, but as far as consoles go, Ocarina of Time is THE ONLY CONSOLE GAME IGN HAS EVER GIVEN 10/10 to.

jeeze when it comes to IGN, this is an excellent score.

You for teh loss.
Seriously, did you even read past that part as to why the review itself sucked? You for the lose.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
What do you expect from a major American game review site? They barely look at Nintendo beyond a cursory glance.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
They are reviewers. All reviewers are like that. you should forgive them for thinking the air dodge is new because they hadn't played Melee since 2001 or whenever it was out. They review one game and are on to the next. It's not like all they play is Smash like everyone else here on these boards and they are busy people.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
Did you know that a japan magazine that has been out for 22 years and only rated 5 games ever a 10/10 well SMASH BRAWL GOT THE 6TH ONE! rated this game 10/10 WTF PWNED!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They are reviewers. All reviewers are like that. you should forgive them for thinking the air dodge is new because they hadn't played Melee since 2001 or whenever it was out. They review one game and are on to the next. It's not like all they play is Smash like everyone else here on these boards and they are busy people.
It's their job. They get paid to do it. The least they could do would be to double-check their facts.

J0™

Smash Apprentice
Who cares? It's just a opinion, the fun thing about opinions is that you can ignore them any time you like...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Im seriously not mad at IGN for their score, I just have a problem with them not fully understanding what they've reviewed. And Im not talking about JUST smash, there seems to be alot of games that they don't really understand and sort of review wrong. I read a review on Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and they talked about how the teammate system hadn't changed at all, despite being one of the biggest changes to battle game play in the entire game. I don't know why they seem to not realize very obvious things, but for the most part they seem pretty spot on so I wont harsh on them too much, but every now and then I see things like that and it just sort of annoys me.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Now, for the most part IGN is a pretty sweet site.

But when I saw their coverage on Brawl...Oh my God, they really, really suck at Brawl. You dont need to be that good at a game to review it, but these guys are just plain ********.

Fran made Ike her 5th fighter because she loved Roy in Melee. She then goes to make Peach her number one...***** wha?

BTW...Famitsu..kinda sucks..

>_>

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
Since so many people seem to fail to read beyond the paragraph about the score, I'll remove it now.
Why remove it? It's already up, and this thread is already useless.

Oh, and I'd like to make one more point. You have to understand that IGN reviews the game from a casual gamers point of view; not a "professional" player's point of view. Most of the people buying games don't want to know if it's good from a crazed video game nerd's opinion.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
They shouldnt take away points just because nintendo have added something extra, and its not amazing...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The score is all what we look at really, and they gave it a decent score.
The were quite unqualified to even grade the game though since they couldn't even grasp such obvious thing as game speed (they think it's faster than Melee). Seriously, who knows what other things they made up in their little minds?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why remove it? It's already up, and this thread is already useless.

Oh, and I'd like to make one more point. You have to understand that IGN reviews the game from a casual gamers point of view; not a "professional" player's point of view. Most of the people buying games don't want to know if it's good from a crazed video game nerd's opinion.
Did... you... read... my... post?

It's not their opinions that are wrong. They have the right to think what they think. It's that they're supposedly professional reviewers who get paid to do what they do yet they fail at even double-checking their facts.

They claim Brawl is faster than Melee... but what's worse is that they claim airdodging, Fox and Falco are all new to Brawl. Even the most casual of gamers should at least research their facts when writing a paid review.

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
The were quite unqualified to even grade the game though since they couldn't even grasp such obvious thing as game speed (they think it's faster than Melee). Seriously, who knows what other things they made up in their little minds?
Perhaps they think it's faster than Melee 'cause it has more items, modes, etc.? Again, they play it as a casual, and not pro, gamer.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
If I reviewed Halo 3, got one or two things wrong, but still gave it a decent score, then it wouldn't really matter what I said. The same applies for Brawl, it's not that big of a deal.

EDIT:

Anyway, they'll soon correct themselves, fans will quickly tell them what they've gotten wrong.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Perhaps they think it's faster than Melee 'cause it has more items, modes, etc.? Again, they play it as a casual, and not pro, gamer.
They also claim Fox and Falco and airdodging were new. Even the most casual of gamers would be able to spot Fox (starting roster in Melee) and Falco on the roster in Melee. And these people aren't any casual gamers, they get paid for doing reviews like these.

They could at least spend some time to get things right.

If I reviewed Halo 3, got one or two things wrong, but still gave it a decent score, then it wouldn't really matter what I said. The same applies for Brawl, it's not that big of a deal.

EDIT:

Anyway, they'll soon correct themselves, fans will quickly tell them what they've gotten wrong.
Would you rush out such an error-field review if you were called a "professional game reviewer" and paid for it?

CCC07

Smash Apprentice
I agree. If your gonna review a game get your faQs straight.
fox and falco new, haha stupid ign.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are tons of reviewers who don't have their facts straight. Oh well. Now we move forward, ggs.
At least most of the time, the errors are errors that are made because they're not competitive players. These errors are just laughably stupid.

Yuichi

Smash Cadet
They also claim Fox and Falco and airdodging were new. Even the most casual of gamers would be able to spot Fox (starting roster in Melee) and Falco on the roster in Melee. And these people aren't any casual gamers, they get paid for doing reviews like these.

They could at least spend some time to get things right.

Would you rush out such an error-field review if you were called a "professional game reviewer" and paid for it?
You probably don't understand what I'm saying. The point is this: a casual gamer not coming in from melee will not notice these things; a casual gamer does not care about these things; a casual gamer does not need to know these things; a casual gamer only cares about what's at the core of the game, and if it's good or not.

aho43

Smash Lord
yuna, why does it seem that all you do is make threads about why people shouldn't like brawl? or in this case denounce a review that says brawl is awesome(which it is). if you don't like brawl, you don't have to try to drag everyone down with you. misery loves company i suppose. brawl is awesome, don't listen to yuna.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"guy writes crappy review"

I hope you're not going to be making a topic for every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom