• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I think the 35 makes sense

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Characters that have yet to be revealed on the 35 list, and why I think they're in:
Ganondorf - Was in Twilight Princess, is popular, has a good chance to have a non-clone moveset, was in SSBM
Young/WW Link - I'm thinking WW, just had Phantom Hourglass, which could give him some cool new moves
Captain Falcon - Was in SSB, F-Zero needs a character
Falco - Was popular in SSBM, was in a few games since SSBM
Wolf - Has been asked for by plenty of people, could be the heavy of the Star Fox set, has potential for a unique moveset
ROB - Needs that one "out of whack" choice, ROB has been in quite a few games lately, NOT THE STAR FOX VERSION
Marth - Different enough from Ike, still popular in Japan, Was in SSBM
Game and Watch - Unique enough, Was in SSBM, well liked

Characters that aren't on the 35 list, and why I think they aren't in:
Krystal: My pick for most likely to screw up the 35 list, but the two games she was in weren't very well received, and aside from furries, not a very popular character.
Mega Man: Basically confirmed out of it by Imafune. 'Nuff said.
K Rool: Far too many different versions of the character, no good moveset for any one of them.
Issac: I still don't get why people say he should be in. Not a popular enough series, and all the other characters at least have some nostalgia value.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
=/ Think about it though.
100ish full time workers.
They couldn't even throw some clones in?
Honestly, 35 is just an unreal number.

Also, this topic is unneeded, there are plenty 35 roster topics already.
Don't clutter please ^_^.
-DD

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Your arguments for a 35 character roster are either a) complete opinions b) could easily be fixed by a development team of over 100 people or c) completely suck.

Machete

Smash Ace
Wolf - Has been asked for by plenty of people, could be the heavy of the Star Fox set, has potential for a unique moveset
LOL.

So StarFox deserves three similar characters but Metroid doesn't deserve a extremely unique and popular character?

K Rool: Far too many different versions of the character, no good moveset for any one of them.

but the two games she was in weren't very well received
Krystal was in 3 games.

Also, the "unique enough" argument fails. Mewtwo says hi.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Look at his screen name DarkDragoon. Does it look like he's the reasonable type?

He's most likely an alt. It's just pointles...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Machete, don't even bother with this guy; arguing with a clueless noob such as this will only lead you to despair and a bad headache.

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
Where have inafune deconfirmed Mega Man? Link please...

And Krystal is a popular character for smash. She may not be that popular in Star Fox, but it doesn't change her chances for Brawl.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Having 'no possible' moveset for Krool isn't an issue, at all. Look at Captain Falcon, Fox, etc.
And 35 characters isn't enough, 40-45 would make me happier.
I agree with Megaman not being in, but I'm sure lots of people have an issue about Krystal not being a popular character *points to half of Smashboards*

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
Just one thing, ROB no, please god ROB no.

I think you should take Wolf away, too much like Fox and you have 4 Starfox reps! That's the same as Mario if you count Luigi in (which you didn't)

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Characters that have yet to be revealed, and I rate their chances:

Luigi - Guaranteed in the game by everyone who has free speech.
Ganondorf - Definitely in.
Young/WW Link - Possible. But he'd still be "another Link".
Captain Falcon - Nothing could take Falcon out of Brawl. He's guaranteed.
Falco - In all ways more important than Wolf.
Wolf - Useless when compared to almost every other SF character. Has a nice theme, though.
ROB - Does not originate from a video game.
Marth - Different enough from Ike, still popular, was in SSBM, new game coming out for DS.
Game & Watch - Unique, was in SSBM. Icon theory supports him.
Krystal: She would add a ton to Smash -- First female "humanoid"-animal, female weapon user, plus a Star Fox character who wouldn't just blast guns and be "physical".
Mega Man: Confirmed out by Inafune. It's sad, but true.
K. Rool: No; Dixie is much more prominent to the DK series.
Isaac: People could at least spell his name right...

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Where have inafune deconfirmed Mega Man? Link please...

And Krystal is a popular character for smash. She may not be that popular in Star Fox, but it doesn't change her chances for Brawl.
Lol ok dude. Unpopular characters for Brawl!!!! Yay!!!!
Tingle, Pokemon Trainer's Hat, Barney, Slippy, Peppy, Balloon Fighter, Cranky Kong, and Gum Stuck To The Bottom of My Shoe for Brawl!!!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I think one thing is being overlooked. If Sakurai's spent this long on a 35 character roste, that also means they have spent months and months and months making the characters as balanced and polished as humanly possible. I know a COMPLETELY balanced game is pure fantasy, but I think there should be alot of improvement in this area compared to Melee (what were they smoking when they expected Kirby to be on an even footing with Fox?). Anyway, I'd settle for a 35 character roster if it guaranteed that Brawl would be the best playing Smash Bros to date.

Hyenator

Smash Cadet
Inafune isn't involved to the Megaman series since MMBN4. He cannot deconfirm Megaman.

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Like I said, if anyone is going to break this list, it's going to be Krystal. But, and you're right, she has been in three games, none of the games have been as popular as the original, and certainly not as popular as 64. SFA has an 80% average review, Command a 75%, and Assault has a lowly 70%. The way I see it, Nintendo possibly sees Krystal as the weak link of the four main SF characters, and decided to not include her as a playable character.

Also, I find it hilarious that I see so many people saying there are far too many Star Fox characters, yet they aren't attacking anyone who has Krystal on a list. I'm thinking that it's not the abundance of Star Fox characters that pisses you off, it's the fact that it's not the one you want.

And I also have to express my disbelief at the people who honestly think that Nintendo would pick a third string SF character over the little robot that pushed the NES out of the starting gate. I can think of so many more awesome movesets for the little guy, and he'd be a nice little blast from the past, much like Game and Watch was last game. And just look at how much fun he is to play as. I'd much rather have him than just about anyone else, if only because we can use as many fun movesets as possible.

Oh, and me not spelling Isaac's name right is only one more testament to how little people care about him. Contrary to popular belief, SmashBoards is not a reflection of the general public.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
You're joking... right?
No; Dixie was the leading character in DK Country 2 and DK Country 3. She's also playable on Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga 3, DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, Diddy Kong Racing DS, and DK Barrel Blast.

King K. Rool is only on half of those games... no offense to K. Rool.
It's just that K. Rool "supporters" need to get their facts straight regarding the Donkey Kong series, and not just support him 'cause he's a villain.

35forlife

Smash Rookie
No; Dixie was the leading character in DK Country 2 and DK Country 3. She's also playable on Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Hoops, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga 3, DK King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, Diddy Kong Racing DS, and DK Barrel Blast.

It's just that K. Rool "supporters" need to get their facts straight regarding the Donkey Kong series, and not just support him 'cause he's a villain.
And, unfortunately, it's looking as if Dixie isn't going to make it either, especially considering the extra costume that Diddy has that makes him look like her.

Also, you seem to be forgetting DK64, which had K Rool, but not Dixie.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, if anyone is going to break this list, it's going to be Krystal. But, and you're right, she has been in three games, none of the games have been as popular as the original, and certainly not as popular as 64. SFA has an 80% average review, Command a 75%, and Assault has a lowly 70%. The way I see it, Nintendo possibly sees Krystal as the weak link of the four main SF characters, and decided to not include her as a playable character.

Also, I find it hilarious that I see so many people saying there are far too many Star Fox characters, yet they aren't attacking anyone who has Krystal on a list. I'm thinking that it's not the abundance of Star Fox characters that pisses you off, it's the fact that it's not the one you want.

And I also have to express my disbelief at the people who honestly think that Nintendo would pick a third string SF character over the little robot that pushed the NES out of the starting gate. I can think of so many more awesome movesets for the little guy, and he'd be a nice little blast from the past, much like Game and Watch was last game. And just look at how much fun he is to play as. I'd much rather have him than just about anyone else, if only because we can use as many fun movesets as possible.

Oh, and me not spelling Isaac's name right is only one more testament to how little people care about him. Contrary to popular belief, SmashBoards is not a reflection of the general public.
Sorry, man, but your "name" is 35forlife. How can we expect you to be unbiased?

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Where exactly did I say I was unbiased? To be honest, I was going to use "Yoshifan823" like I do everywhere else, but I guess the website decided not to send a confirmation E-Mail, so this is my backup. I just wanted to see the reaction of all the people who hate this list, and say stupid things in order to "prove" that it's "false".

Cheeseknight28

Smash Cadet

What are you talking about? K. Rool has had a greater role in most primary DK games than DK himself.

This includes:
DKC
DKC2
DKC3
DK64
DK: King of Swing
DK: Jungle Climber

The rest are spinoffs of DK's tradional genre - Platformer. K. Rool was in every one of the above games, and had a more prominent role in 2+3 than DK himself. Dixie was only playable in KOS and JC in minigames. K. Rool was also in Barrel Blast, so he has made it into the most recent spinoff.

Furthering my argument, Dixie's potential for a moveset is far less than K. Rool's. Hell, K. Rool could have 3 movesets to transform between.

(B moves and finals only, for the sake of time.)
King K. Rool form:
B: Mega Punch (DK64)
B>: Crown Toss (DKC)
B^: High jump (DKC)
Bv: Swap costume
Final: Summon Gangplank Galleon

Captain K. Rool form:
B: Gas Cloud (Reverses movement briefly; not spammable) (DKC2)
B>: Cannonball blast (DKC2)
B^: Blunderbuss rush (Shoots blunderbuss fire down, to speedily rise in the air) (DKC2; used to go sideways then)
Final: Summon The Flying Krock

Baron K. Roolenstein
B: Scissors (Or whatever he was holding in DKC3) (DKC3)
B>: Electric Shock (DKC3; used by the orbs on either side of the room)
B^: Jetpack launch (DKC3)
Final: Summon KAOS

-
You can even combine these movesets to save time. Dixie doesn't have this much potential, period. Not without borrowing from Diddy.

Machete

Smash Ace

K. Rool is the main antagonist of the DK series. Dixie was the main protagonist in one game, and a SIDEKICK in DKC2. The Mario games doesn't count, because both Donkey and Diddy are representing the Donkey Kong games.

No, K. Rool is far more important than Dixie. Main antagonist of the series>Sidekick's sidekick.

Also, K. Rool has a crown boomerang, a blunderbuss, a jetpack... Dixie has her hair...

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
And, unfortunately, it's looking as if Dixie isn't going to make it either, especially considering the extra costume that Diddy has that makes him look like her.

Also, you seem to be forgetting DK64, which had K Rool, but not Dixie.
That's one game. And she is mentioned on DK64, y'know.
Rare just thought they shouldn't have Tiny AND Dixie, so they didn't include her...

And a pink outfit doesn't make Diddy "look like Dixie". Dixie's got knee-straps, a beret, a pony-tail, painted nails, eyelashes, a knot in her shirt, etc.
And let's not forget that Mario has a "Wario" outfit. Which makes your point hardly moot.

I'm not saying Dixie's playable on Brawl; I'm just saying she's more important than K. Rool, which is evidenced by her usage and appearance in more games.
I'mean, you couldn't even play as DK or Diddy on DKC3. It was Dixie's Double Trouble.

Plus I don't see what K. Rool has to offer to Brawl, other than "being a villain" and maybe throwing his crown...:laugh:

Nasir

Smash Apprentice
via the magic of google:

http://kotaku.com/337140/inafune-says-no-megaman-in-brawl

And bonus!!!

If you read this critically, you will in fact understand why Megaman was not included in Brawl. Prize to the first one who figures it out :p
Didn't Sega say something similar about Sonic?! And further note I could just read the last part of the text cause' my browser doesn't work well on kotaku, so if it's something important before that, I've probably missed it.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice

Although Krystal has been in the 3 most recent Starfox games, you're right, Wolf has been in the best Starfox game to date. The thing is, Wolf would be pretty much another version of Fox. Sure, they can give him all the different weapons you want but he still is similar to Fox. Krystal on the other hand has more chances to have a unique moveset and she's a female (Sakurain needs females). So I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance between Krystal and Wolf, but both of them cannot be in before a Mario newcomer, hell, that would make Mario, Pokemon and Starfox the same in terms of character slots.

And the reason people don't attack those with Krystal and no Wolf in their list could, perhaps, because they AGREE? (would you attack someone with the exact same list as yours? ¬¬

As for ROB, he is already in SSE, lets leave him there.

Cheeseknight28

Smash Cadet
No; Dixie was the leading character in DK Country 2 and DK Country 3.
Diddy was the leading character in DKC2.

That's one game. And she is mentioned on DK64, y'know.
Rare just thought they shouldn't have Tiny AND Dixie, so they didn't include her...
Only explanation I can think of for Rare to not bring back Dixie and include Tiny is that they didn't like Dixie's character anymore.

Plus I don't see what K. Rool has to offer to Brawl, other than "being a villain" and maybe throwing his crown...:laugh:
Did you read my first post? He also has kickass music, see DKC2 final boss fight.

Not to mention we need more heavyweight characters.

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Although Krystal has been in the 3 most recent Starfox games, you're right, Wolf has been in the best Starfox game to date. The thing is, Wolf would be pretty much another version of Fox. Sure, they can give him all the different weapons you want but he still is similar to Fox. Krystal on the other hand has more chances to have a unique moveset and she's a female (Sakurain needs females). So I'd say that there's a 50/50 chance between Krystal and Wolf, but both of them cannot be in before a Mario newcomer, hell, that would make Mario, Pokemon and Starfox the same in terms of character slots.

And the reason people don't attack those with Krystal and no Wolf in their list could, perhaps, because they AGREE? (would you attack someone with the exact same list as yours? ¬¬

As for ROB, he is already in SSE, lets leave him there.
You're saying Krystal wouldn't just be another version of Fox? She's basically Fox with a magic staff, blue fur, and boobs. She's as close, if not closer, to Fox than Wolf is. Plus, Star Fox at this point could certainly use a villain. And Sakurai never said anything about needing more females.

And I wasn't talking about people in general, I'm talking about people who think Star Fox has too many characters. You can't go out and say that Star Fox having 3 characters is way too much, then say that Krystal should be in. You'd be a hypocrite.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
More new series should be repped, that is why Isaac is popular. Wolf is a very poor character selection.

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Well, then we should get a series that people actually care about. If I talk to people about their favorite GBA game, Golden Sun rarely comes up. Same with RPG, GBA RPG, GBA RPG that isn't made by Square, and so on. Really, get someone from Custom Robo, at least it's popular in Japan. Or another F-Zero character. Or, hell, the Duck Hunt Dog would be more interesting.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
You're saying Krystal wouldn't just be another version of Fox? She's basically Fox with a magic staff, blue fur, and boobs. She's as close, if not closer, to Fox than Wolf is. Plus, Star Fox at this point could certainly use a villain. And Sakurai never said anything about needing more females.

And I wasn't talking about people in general, I'm talking about people who think Star Fox has too many characters. You can't go out and say that Star Fox having 3 characters is way too much, then say that Krystal should be in. You'd be a hypocrite.
Krystal is unique, deal with it. Not only she is the most unique Starfox rep, she'd also be unlike any character in Smashbros, a staff user, and a female. Just what Samsh needs.

Starfox does need a villain, and in a bigger roster it wouold be great, but you are the one saying that 35 makes sense.

Your statement about Krystal being closer to Fox than Wolf, you didn't get it right? Or was it sarcasm? Wolf is in the same position Fox was before SSB64, he doesn't have a moveset. And my guess is, Sakurai would follow the path he did with Fox, make up a moveset based on the space theme. Not that original.

And I'm not saying 3 Starfox reps is too much! It's just about right. Four would be nice. But your entire post states that the roster is 35 character long. And in a 35 character roster, Mario would get a Newcomer before Starfox.

Then again, I'm not for a 35 char roster. A 42-46 roster is about right. There should be 4 Starfox reps, BUT a Mario Newcomer is needed first.

35forlife

Smash Rookie
Why in God's name does Mario need another character? I mean, between Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, OC Wario, and, to a lesser extent, Donkey and Diddy, Mario is the last series that needs a newcomer. And Sakurai can certainly make a unique moveset for Wolf, based solely on his villainy, Krystal would be all staff based magic, and would be remarkably similar to Ness, Lucas and Zelda.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
Why in God's name does Mario need another character? I mean, between Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, OC Wario, and, to a lesser extent, Donkey and Diddy, Mario is the last series that needs a newcomer. And Sakurai can certainly make a unique moveset for Wolf, based solely on his villainy, Krystal would be all staff based magic, and would be remarkably similar to Ness, Lucas and Zelda.
A staff user would NOT be similar to magic users...

As for Mario: Yoshi, Wario and DK represent their own series. They have been in games without Mario or any other Marioverse character (Luigi, Peach, Bowser...), so they have THEIR OWN series (as hinted by having a DIFFERENT icon). So right now Mario has 4 rps (since Dr Mario is not coming back), so they need another newcomer to get back to 5, even a 6th character is plausible (depending on the roster's size), at least one!.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Why did you make a new account just to post your theory? Foolish.

Wasn't this 35 character thing disproven? I thought the guy came out and said it was all a lie.
R.O.B. doesn't even make any sense. Plus I thought he was deconfirmed by being a Trophy and enemy in Subspace. Why are we still talking about this when it's been proven false?

We need some new rumors.. seriously.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Opinion based arguments. Many of your arguments do not hold true for all of the characters. You say Isaac shouldn't be in because the series isn't popular and he holds no nostalgia value? Ice Climbers (unpopular) and Lucario (no nostalgia value) say hi.

Also, you said Krystal "is not a very popular character." I beg to differ. As far as I've seen, and even in Sakurai's journal she seemed to be far more popular than Wolf. Now, the fact that the games she starred in were not received well IS a good point.

Honestly, I don't really think these are really good reasons why those characters aren't on the list...

Where exactly did I say I was unbiased? To be honest, I was going to use "Yoshifan823" like I do everywhere else, but I guess the website decided not to send a confirmation E-Mail, so this is my backup. I just wanted to see the reaction of all the people who hate this list, and say stupid things in order to "prove" that it's "false".
So basically you're a troll? Also, not everyone that thinks the 35 char. list is real thinks it makes sense. It really doesn't make sense imo...For the simple fact that most of the secret characters are veterans. That's why I don't like it. Also, it's not that the characters chosen don't make sense, it's that the characters NOT chosen don't make sense.

Yes, the fact that Wolf is a villain is what makes him a good candidate. But you lost when you said Krystal is closer to fox than Wolf. No, just no. Wolf's design = Fox, but grey, taller and with an eye patch. Oh yeah, and did Sakurai ever say anything about needing more villains? Why couldn't Wolf just be a boss fight?

__César__

Smash Apprentice
Characters that have yet to be revealed on the 35 list, and why I think they're in:
Ganondorf - Was in Twilight Princess, is popular, has a good chance to have a non-clone moveset, was in SSBM
Young/WW Link - I'm thinking WW, just had Phantom Hourglass, which could give him some cool new moves
Captain Falcon - Was in SSB, F-Zero needs a character
Falco - Was popular in SSBM, was in a few games since SSBM
ROB - Needs that one "out of whack" choice, ROB has been in quite a few games lately, NOT THE STAR FOX VERSION
Marth - Different enough from Ike, still popular in Japan, Was in SSBM
Game and Watch - Unique enough, Was in SSBM, well liked

Characters that aren't on the 35 list, and why I think they aren't in:
Krystal: My pick for most likely to screw up the 35 list, but the two games she was in weren't very well received, and aside from furries, not a very popular character.
Mega Man: Basically confirmed out of it by Imafune. 'Nuff said.
Issac: I still don't get why people say he should be in. Not a popular enough series, and all the other characters at least have some nostalgia value.
. . . . . what about Luigi??

Austin55

Smash Journeyman
Inafune isn't involved to the Megaman series since MMBN4. He cannot deconfirm Megaman.
Quoted for freaking truth. What people don't relize is the fact that Sakurai is the only one allowed to confirm characters. Look how they tried to hide the Ness, Lucario, Jigglypuff leak.
I really think the classic series needs to be revived, and Brawl is the best place to start. The Inafune "deconfirmation" is merely a rumor, and will not be proven true until the Dojo or release says otherwise.
And Krystal? Her huge "fanbase" is made up of furries and closet furries. We have enough fanservice with Zero Suit Samus. (Human, not animal) **** or GTFO!
"Nuff Said."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Characters that have yet to be revealed, and I rate their chances:

K. Rool: No; Dixie is much more prominent to the DK series.
WHAT??? Youre kidding right? K. Rool has been the recurring villain in almost, if not ALL of the Donkey Kong games. Saying Dixie is more prominent is false...false false false.

Was Dixie in Dk64? No.
Was Dixie in DKC1? No.
Was K.Rool in both DKC games Dixie was? Yes.

I dont get your reasoning... at all...

And to the OP, How is it hard to pick his classic King costume, and how does he not have enough moves for a moveset?

B - BLunderbuss
B> Crown boomerang
B^ - Copter-jetpack from DKC3
Bv - Ground pound from Dk64 with shockwaves, or boxing globe punch.

Its not hard people. Hes a great choice. Dont hate on the kremling king.

Top Bottom