• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I think Luigi has the potential to be great.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
OK, so this starts with luigi's BEST quality, and that is clear. Aerial game? no. Speed and priority? no.

The one thing that makes luigi stand out is his GLUT of killing moves. Luigi's killing range starts at 50% (35% on the lightest characters). So that means any time you might legitimately be thrown off the stage by a move, luigi can kill you.

The next part of this issue is that brawl is a game of punishment. Reading your opponent and capitalizing on their one mistake is the crux of this game. The more mistakes you can capitalize the more likely you are to win.

The kicker is that luigi has ways of getting ALOT of damage off of one mistake. From a jab, a single mistimed airdodge on the opponent's part can give luigi an opening to do 50+ damage. That means luigi can bring an opponent into killing range from ONE mistake.

The extrapolation of this, is that luigi is potentially the character that can get a KO from the fewest mistakes made by an opponent. As few as 2 small mistakes can lead to death, if they're in terrible places. Most characters need a mistake to get in one hit, and this is at times the case with luigi. Using previous data i've compiled, and the assumption that 100% is generally the "danger zone" for any character, most toons need at least 10 solid mistakes made by an opponent to take a stock. Luigi needs 2.

WTFHAX. Hey everyone get way better, hope meta gets banned, luigi can be BEASTLY.

I just thought of another thing, Luigi has a decent Killing move in every category. Specials, aerials, smashes, tilts, grabs. Thats just goofy ridiculous. Why isn't luigi top tier again?

Range you say? Hush, you.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Glut of kill moves sums it up. Uppercut, Fsmash, misfire. All kill below 80% easily. One time I accidentaly Dtilted (with trip) into a misfire. It was soooo awesome.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Honest question: How are his matchups with top tier (Snake DDD GW ROB Falco) from the luigi board's perspective? Last time I checked they weren't like favorable, but idk

J4pu

Smash Champion
. From a jab, a single mistimed airdodge on the opponent's part can give luigi an opening to do 50+ damage. That means luigi can bring an opponent into killing range from ONE mistake.
I stopped reading here, you should draw some limits to your exaggeration.
Unless you mean when there is a chance that you can get 50% dmg, but that would just be too stupid to mention, so I'm assuming it's a gross exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong, I love Luigi I picked him up as a secondary for 2 months or so before dropping him because he doesn't exactly pick up the slack Falco has, he can kill great and all but Marth and GW dont seem like great match-ups for him

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I stopped reading here, you should draw some limits to your exaggeration.
Unless you mean when there is a chance that you can get 50% dmg, but that would just be too stupid to mention, so I'm assuming it's a gross exaggeration.

Don't get me wrong, I love Luigi I picked him up as a secondary for 2 months or so before dropping him because he doesn't exactly pick up the slack Falco has, he can kill great and all but Marth and GW dont seem like great match-ups for him
50% does sound a lil extreme on the higher levels, but Luigi is capable of severely punishing for little errors, that much is true...

I think its more a matter of frequent mistakes, with one mistakes setting all the other ones off like a chain reaction.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
OK, maybe I assumed too much in the "you get what I'm saying" category when I said, "gives you an opening to". No I didn't mean that one missed airdodge WILL GET YOU 50%, but, that its entirely possible.

jab (3)-jab(6)-Dthrow(12)-Utilt(21)-Usmash(33)- bad air dodge -FJP(58)

Just as an example of something that could happen.

Also, as for the top tiers.

MK-disgustingly bad.
D3-infinite
Snake/rob/falco- Not too far from even.
G/W-Difficult.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Marth is pretty bad too, in fact any character with a lot of range and disjointed hitboxes is a difficult match for Luigi. That is the real reason keeping him from high tier.....bottom of high doesn't sound like that much of a stretch though.

chic

Smash Ace
thinking... wondering... blah blah blah! we need to start encouraging the luigis to start flooding the tourny circuit. thats the only way we will be able to truely prove/show/learn anything about the man in greens true skill. its been, what 7 months since the game came out and there is still barely a luigi to be found in tournys? we need less talking/wondering/thinking, and more tourny brawling. after that, then we can have a serious discussion about his "potential" because tbh im tired of seeing these threads with these hypothetical questions and statements....

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
thinking... wondering... blah blah blah! we need to start encouraging the luigis to start flooding the tourny circuit. thats the only way we will be able to truely prove/show/learn anything about the man in greens true skill. its been, what 7 months since the game came out and there is still barely a luigi to be found in tournys? we need less talking/wondering/thinking, and more tourny brawling. after that, then we can have a serious discussion about his "potential" because tbh im tired of seeing these threads with these hypothetical questions and statements....
This is true. Generally a character's potential will be made known by being picked up by a high-level player, not by mapping out his good qualities. Of course, the top tier characters are exceptions to this rule as their top-tier qualities are relatively more apparent.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
We aren't in the tourny scene because the number of luigi mains is miniscule. Plus metaknight makes luigi basically unable to win. Just look at themann's post, he links to a match between he and a metaknight. He's obviously WAY better than the MK, but still gets beat. Sad. There are too many metas.

Also, Nobody pays attention to WEEEGEEE! :cry:

Top Bottom