• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Fox's Up-Air is Stronger than You Think

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
I've been using fox as a secondary for a while. And I found from watching other Fox's play, that for the most part, up-air does not exist as a staple in their games.
I don't understand why.

I wrote a lot on it, so I put it in a pastebin which I think is easier to read than a post here.
http://pastebin.com/bhW0RXME

Sorry for referencing Larry a bit too much. I think I saw Snow use more upairs recently too. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean other players aren't doing it. I just feel like most fox's I see do not use it this way.
I think the biggest drawback is that this active use of uair tends to make it stale.

I won't claim I'm 100% correct about everything. What I wrote down is merely my impressions from playing fox the way I enjoy to play fox.
If you aren't sure if you should consider what I am saying, I'm ranked #4 in Oregon, and easily own the strongest fox in the state. it's not much but if it helps you consider what I'm saying, that would be nice.

Consider it and help me explore the potential of this move!

EPM

Smash Cadet
I don't think Fox players underrate up air, I see most of them use it a lot and everybody knows the juggle potential. I wrote a lot more about it in the Fox facebook group when this was posted but yes, I agree that it is a great attack, probably Fox's second best attack after up tilt. A few lasers fix the staling so that it can kill more effectively also.
If you have any videos of you using it where other Foxes don't, please post them.

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Fox players underrate up air, I see most of them use it a lot and everybody knows the juggle potential. I wrote a lot more about it in the Fox facebook group when this was posted but yes, I agree that it is a great attack, probably Fox's second best attack after up tilt. A few lasers fix the staling so that it can kill more effectively also.
If you have any videos of you using it where other Foxes don't, please post them.
From what I watch, I see fox players opting for nair instead of uair most of the time. They also won't uthrow to start the positional advantage that leads into this sort of thing after dthrow stuff stops working.

The only video I have at all of my fox is taken from a quads event. I'm trying to find a time where I can record exactly what I mean. Fortunately I don't have to.

A good example is Larry vs DKWill here; check whenever DK is above larry. it's basically EXACTLY what I mean more fox players should start to add into their games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOz7clUgFI I'm pretty sure that other fox's are not this liberal with upair (if they are show me!! i love this move). And this works on more characters than just DK... it probably works best on DK though :B

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Pretty sure the general consensus amongst top players who use fox is that uair is ****ing amazing, uair and bair are probably about 90% of my kills

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I was honestly thinking the same thing. His up air is amazing yet I barely see people use it. I'm very good with his up air, which helps me a ton.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
I'm officially one of those Fox's who don't use Uair NEARLY enough. Any way you guys have found to really consistently practice the sh uair?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I'm officially one of those Fox's who don't use Uair NEARLY enough. Any way you guys have found to really consistently practice the sh uair?
I used to spend 5 to 10 minutes a day practicing sh uair, I'd practice it on the spot, then I'd practice it moving back and forth across the stage, then I'd practice it out of an action, so like dash attack and then sh uair straight after. I did it with double sticking (up on control stick to jump, then up on cstick to uair), if you practice it consistently and in little scenarios similar to where you'd need it in a game, you'll get it, and 5 to 10 minutes a day is very doable, you'll learn it in no time.

Of course after putting in heaps of time into getting it consistent, I ended up making the switch to tilt stick, which makes sh uair impossible to mess up, so if you need it and you are messing it up a lot and dropping kills because of it, consider tilt stick.

SH uair is amazing and sets up frame traps.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
how would that be 'double sticking'?

Using the control stick to jump, and the cstick to uair is double sticking.
control STICK plus c STICK
stick plus stick = double stick.

I would have thought that name made it obvious.

And if you are using the cstick to uair, what difference does it make whether its smash or tilt stick since neither option alters what the cstick does in the air.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I don't main Fox nor do I have him as a secondary but I love his up air. I'd agree with how underrated it is. Also, lookin a bit like Leffen there.

Last edited:

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
how would that be 'double sticking'?

Using the control stick to jump, and the cstick to uair is double sticking.
control STICK plus c STICK
stick plus stick = double stick.

I would have thought that name made it obvious.

And if you are using the cstick to uair, what difference does it make whether its smash or tilt stick since neither option alters what the cstick does in the air.
If the C-Stick is set to smash, then if you try to jump then immediately up-air, your jump becomes a jump-canceled Smash-Attack.
There is no such thing as a jump-canceled up-tilt, so the buffer instead makes your next move the instant up-air. It's extremely easier to perform.

Edit: I do claw though. I press X with the index finger and then up on the c-stick with my thumb. It's pretty natural when you're used to it. And it saves my thumb some movement, which is nice.

Last edited:

Chalice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tenkenjin
Talked with Larry a bit over Twitter

Spaced Uair beats out a lot of hitboxes people may try to land with like Yoshi Fair and the Mario bros Nair

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
There's a reason why Larry's the best Fox. I think he's one of the only Fox's who has practically spent a lot of lab time with the uair and knows it's timings well enough to use it effectively in tournament matches.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
If the C-Stick is set to smash, then if you try to jump then immediately up-air, your jump becomes a jump-canceled Smash-Attack.
There is no such thing as a jump-canceled up-tilt, so the buffer instead makes your next move the instant up-air. It's extremely easier to perform.
yeah I'm aware dude, I used to use smash stick and practiced the **** out of it to prevent the upsmash, but what he asked was how do you double stick with tilt stick on, so what I said makes sense considering what he asked and my question is still unanswered. But whatever who cares it doesnt matter

Talked with Larry a bit over Twitter

Spaced Uair beats out a lot of hitboxes people may try to land with like Yoshi Fair and the Mario bros Nair

yeah, the actual hitbox of foxes uair extends beyond the animation, not brawl snake levels of bull**** invisible hitboxes that hit way further than his animations, but it extends enough that it makes a difference, learning to hit with the invisible part beyond the animation will make the difference between beating or not beating out a lot of attacks with foxes uair so if you are having trouble getting it to work, try uairing from slightly further away than you'd think you need to.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I hold up on the analog stick(tap jump off), jump with Y, and press A to do my SH up airs. I don't really get up smashes with it anymore, which is great. It's kind of a strange method to do the up airs but I think it works out well.

JBix

Ka744
NNID
murderotica744
The best use for upair for me is when I can space just the second hit. It almost feels like it's an extended hitbox.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Doing auto cancelled Uair's doesn't REQUIRE you to change C to tilt, I'm doing that with it on smash, but for sure you get to spam it more and have more freedom with them.

However due to me not wanting to give up running Usmash / too lazy to figure out how to do a running JC Usmash I'm not dabbling with it currently.

Sadly though you can miss the 2nd hit because of reasons, yes Uair combos into itself at lower percentages, but they can always just DI to the sides and then maybe avoid it.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
Yeah, I still use Smash stick and i just press :GCY: and :GCA: super quick with my thumb all in one motion, works fine for me. And I get the advantage of having easy Up Smash with :GCCU:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I use X to jump and I can still autocancel Uairs from a short hop. Requires my hands to be warmed up though haha.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I've commented on the Social thread that my SH U-airs are weird because I short hop with X then push the C-stick up with my palm. Is it unconventional? Maybe, but it works for me. I've been doing it fairly consistently now with this method, which lets me keep Tap jump off and avoid derping inputs (particularly Up-smashes).

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Can still work with Fox, it's just not a combo. Opponents can underestimate the speed of double jump Uair. Or they will airdodge which you can read by delaying your double jump a bit and hitting them as their airdodge ends. If they jump out then, since Fox is the quickest faller, he can just land and follow up on their landing; they will have limited options after losing their jump.

Uthrow is bae and helps me work on reading opponent's movements, and predicting airdodges & landing habits.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Uthrow Uair is definitely still a thing. It's not true at all, though.
With Uthrow you have a few milliseconds to react to their DI or action and if you see an airdodge/dair after you move a little or short hop go for the double jump Uair immediately.

dadominator8

Smash Rookie
NNID
dddsoxfan98
I've been using fox as a secondary for a while. And I found from watching other Fox's play, that for the most part, up-air does not exist as a staple in their games.
I don't understand why.

I wrote a lot on it, so I put it in a pastebin which I think is easier to read than a post here.
http://pastebin.com/bhW0RXME

Sorry for referencing Larry a bit too much. I think I saw Snow use more upairs recently too. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean other players aren't doing it. I just feel like most fox's I see do not use it this way.
I think the biggest drawback is that this active use of uair tends to make it stale.

I won't claim I'm 100% correct about everything. What I wrote down is merely my impressions from playing fox the way I enjoy to play fox.
If you aren't sure if you should consider what I am saying, I'm ranked #4 in Oregon, and easily own the strongest fox in the state. it's not much but if it helps you consider what I'm saying, that would be nice.

Consider it and help me explore the potential of this move!
Yeah Fox's upair is really strong, like not melee strong but strong

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
I think the best way is to set a shoulder button to jump(I use Z) and c stick to attack. I enjoy being able to buffer any aerial out of a short hop while moving any direction. Hard to get used to though.

Top Bottom