• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't more people p2p?

malva00

Smash Master
cuz n00bs don't care about delay and just play on Good connection in egx new york where they can find games easily

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
cuz n00bs don't care about delay and just play on Good connection in egx new york where they can find games easily
I do that when I cant get p2p games and am unusually bored at times. The delay is horrible its not even smash
I agree with Malva, and Dylan...kinda...

I will NOT play on Good connection for 1vs1....i dont mind for random FUN (omg fun in smash64? WOW) Free for alls, but thats it.

8 frames is way to much for 1vs1 D: (for me)

Something people need to remember is "noob" or not, some people have gotten very used to these 8 frames because they have come from, not playing console, to getting "average" online, and just as it can be hard to switch from console to online...it can be hard to go from online, to console.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I agree with Surri and by extension Dylan and Malva.

Good Connection suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Should I have put more u's?

Basically, those 8 frames feel almost like Brawl. Not as bad, but close. >_< At this point, I p2p ONLY, or Kaillera on EXC if I HAVE to find a match [but nowadays, I'd rather not play for a week then look for a match on EGX]. Also, it's annoying when someone says "Why don't you just use Good?".

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
it can be hard to go from online, to console.
How? Console is the real version of the game, and it's been out way longer than pj64k. How can people be more comfortable online especially since most of us dont have n64 adaptors?

I can play 2 months straight online everyday Id still be better on console, it's console.

some people have gotten very used to these 8 frames
Why? Do these people also aspire to drive 50 miles under the speed limit? Why would you want to get used to a game where it feels like your character is jumping through thick butter sometimes?

8 frames is way to much for 1vs1 D: (for me)
Usually anyone willing to play a 1v1 with me in 8 frames of delay is horrible and I just whor falcon's dair ---> falconpunch untill they leave. Good ol universal combo, just like dair-knee in ssbm lol.

I only do that out of boredom like I said. If I can get a p2p match, I will. No exceptions, p2p is better, always. There's no reason not to p2p unless you have bad smash cravings and cant get a p2p match.

Superstar

Smash Champion
By online to console, he meant from laggy to more real. People who suck tend to be better with such thick lag, so they might actually like it, I dunno.

Getting used to something is not the same as liking it. People are generally against changing their routine. I know when I started out, thick butter didn't bother me, I didn't notice it. But later, ay.

I should make a port forwarding guide for extreme dummies. Actually, I will. :p It's not that hard.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Not hard, but I get to play p2p once every like...couple months. College internet sucks soo hard.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I should make a port forwarding guide for extreme dummies. Actually, I will. :p It's not that hard.
Please do lol Im an extreme dummy, but ive never had problems with p2p. I hope your guide will get more people active in p2p smash.

People who suck tend to be better with such thick lag
No, that's just an illusion. Thick lag makes luck a bigger factor than in item battles.

OMG THIS RAPTENT COMBO IS AWESOME NOW FOR THE NAIR AND NOW THE USMASH........

*lagspike lag spike*

F*U*CK I MISSED AND NOW HE'S OVER 100% I CANT COMBO HIM AND I CANT LAND A SMASH ATTACK IN THIS LAG!

Also, it makes camping the strategy to be, lag can't mess up a kirby utilt that badly. Another reason egx is abundant with 1337 uber skill KIRBY ONLY!!!111! mains

If you find you play better in delay, then that means in 60 fps you haven't reached anywhere near the level you could be playing at.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I agree with you. When you corrected me, you corrected my semantics, so I can still say I agree with you. :D

It makes them look better, and makes them think they are better, is what I meant to say.

And I've had those kind of misses even in P2P. I HATE my lag FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I don't know why people play so much on good

If I am going to play non-p2p, I play on excellent. It works so much better.

For p2p, I think a lot of people don't know about it or don't care enough to get it. Also, I think a lot of people are lazy and don't want to bother setting it up.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
p2p is too advanced for 80% of the smash community.

let alone they struggle to even change connections (good,excellent etc)

MattNF

Smash Lord
lol at darth trying to hook up with random people on an internet videogame forum

I play p2p often, but if I'm forced to play on server (for teams and such) then I only play on Excellent connection.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Basically, think of them as a "cap" for your delay. In other words, smoothing.

LAN means no smoothing. You'll get delay according to your ping. If your connection is bad but ping is good, you'll lag, otherwise, good.

EXC means little smoothing. Better if you want good delay, but if your connection is not that good.

Good means a lot of delay is added.

//These are just observations.

Delay is the amount of time from when you press the button, to the action. So, if I play on Good, I get 8 frames, which means once I press a button, it'll take 8/60 of a second for it to register, and another 8/60 for the opponent to the respond. If I play on EXC, I get 5 frames, which means 5/60 to register, and another 5/60 to respond.

New Kaillera [ie EGX] means you can have a different delay from your opponent [like my 8 to someone's 5 on good, connection type must be same], so second number will differ. Playing on Good is just adding delay for no reason, and although a new person won't notice the delay, as you improve, you'll rely a lot more on your reflexes, and the difference between winning and losing is much more narrow [as in, the time alloted for decision is narrower], so delay messes with a good opponent a lot.

I play on EXC because most people don't know the differences, and EXC sounds more inviting than LAN, where people will flat out avoid LAN. >_<

S8on95

Smash Cadet
Because I can't host games cuz my dad pwns me by not letting me port foroward and because I also would probably waste someones time by playing them

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Because I can't host games cuz my dad pwns me by not letting me port foroward and because I also would probably waste someones time by playing them
Even if you played me and not being arrogant here, lets say I consistently 3 stock you. I'm not an *******. Id tell you where to improve where i could see it, and by playing people better than you, you will get much much better

it wouldnt be a waste of time

S8on95

Smash Cadet
I can get 7 stocked in a 5 stock match xD. I'll do it someday when I have time...

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
So true, there's even some dude who always tells me "we only play on "Good" in this server" and when I ask him if he can try to use LAN or at least Excellent, I feel like i'm talking to a brick wall.
QFT, I dont know why people dont understand O_o

i post in EGX "Ssb, 1vs1, excellent connection"

And they come in with good

Surri: Please change to Excellent
Random Guy: What?
Surri: Your connection type, change it to Excellent so we can play
Random Guy: START
Surri: We cant till you change
Random Guy: GO
Surri: *Kicks Random guy*

MattNF

Smash Lord
Why is it that the spanish players always spam START and GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO and always talk WITH THEIR CAPS LOCK ON

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Yeah, most of the time what happens to me is :

Me: Change to Exc.
Random: How do I do?
Me: You need to quit the first kaillera window and change connection to exc.
random: ok, start.
Me: ...I can't you gotta change...
Random: No need go I wanna fight.
Me: Watever...*kicks*

It's like they are some 12 years old kids with no brain.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
That's what happens to me as well in EGX. You know what, everyone who posts here or everyone who's in the player's lounge should just join a hamachi room ('cause most people i know use msn and most americans use aim), then you can just message anyone who's online on hamachi to p2p, and it also solves hosting problems for some people. I got some rooms with lots of you guys in it, but most are dead, dunno why.

Seala

Smash Apprentice
That's what happens to me as well in EGX. You know what, everyone who posts here or everyone who's in the player's lounge should just join a hamachi room ('cause most people i know use msn and most americans use aim), then you can just message anyone who's online on hamachi to p2p, and it also solves hosting problems for some people. I got some rooms with lots of you guys in it, but most are dead, dunno why.
That would be sweet.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Or use Trillian, and learn how to forward your port. Problem solved.

I got both AIM AND MSN, so it's no problem to communicate with anyone, unless they don't have an IM. I'd rather have Hamachi off, my internet is slow and even the slight usage of it updating rooms and such is...bleh. I already know how to forward and reforward my ports within 1-2 minutes, so it's no problem for me.

Top Bottom