• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does SOLID Snake have a beard?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Beards are manly, Snake is manly.

It also gives Kirby a beard when he eats him. Kirby becomes ultimate manly.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
He did, but his beard in his Smash appearances bears closer resemblance to that of Big Boss.

For comparison:

Soild Snake (MGS2)

Naked Snake / Big Boss (MGS3)

Solid Snake (Brawl)
I personally like to think that this how he briefly looks after Sons of Liberty, before his accelerated aging went into overdrive.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Well they did set the precedent of giving him Big Boss's appearance in the MGS3 ape escape minigame when they reused the Naked Snake model. The beard in Ultimate looks a little off though, I wish they took the opportunity to give him a shave here. I'm just happy to have him back at all of course.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Most of his alt colors are based off of MGS3 as well. I think it's one of those things where it's just a loose amalgamation of different incarnations in the series, kind of like how Mario has the cape from Super Mario World, but also FLUDD from Sunshine. Except instead of moves, it's Solid Snake's body and Naked Snake's face (though they technically have the same face). Maybe that's why he's just called "Snake" and not "Solid Snake"? Since it could count for him and "Naked Snake," as they're both popular in their own right (though it's meant to be Solid Snake).

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Most of his alt colors are based off of MGS3 as well. I think it's one of those things where it's just a loose amalgamation of different incarnations in the series, kind of like how Mario has the cape from Super Mario World, but also FLUDD from Sunshine. Except instead of moves, it's Solid Snake's body and Naked Snake's face (though they technically have the same face). Maybe that's why he's just called "Snake" and not "Solid Snake"? Since it could count for him and "Naked Snake," as they're both popular in their own right (though it's meant to be Solid Snake).
It's clearly good'ol Solid, else he wouldn't be speaking with Otacon or Campbell.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's clearly good'ol Solid, else he wouldn't be speaking with Otacon or Campbell.
Yeah, that's what I meant to be Solid Snake, but I think to represent MGS3 they gave him Naked Snake's face. That way, you get both of them for the price of one. At the time of his reveal in 2006, MGS3 was the most recent game, so that probably had something to do with it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, that's what I meant to be Solid Snake, but I think to represent MGS3 they gave him Naked Snake's face. That way, you get both of them for the price of one. At the time of his reveal in 2006, MGS3 was the most recent game, so that probably had something to do with it.
They have the same face.
Kinda comes with being a clone.
Probably just asset reuse more than anything else.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He also molds C4's into butterflies and comments on food when eating them, so yeah they were giving MGS3 a lot of love at the time, so not too odd they'd give him the beard too instead of a stubble like Solid normally has.

Remains to be seen if those small details are in this one though.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Plus one of the themes of the MGS series as a whole is that the individual Snake is not important. Snake is an ideal to the player, and because of that people can get caught up in lore nonsense. It's really not something to worry about.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Like a lot of characters in smash, this snake is more of an amalgam of aspects of snakes designs weve seen over the years. Hes still solid snake for sure, in every other aspect including design and clothing, but he sports the better beard of naked snake. While also having a bandana that is far longer than any previous version of snake.

I wouldnt look too much into it, hes smashes own take on solid snake. Thats all there is to it really

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
He’s been gone for 10 years and wants to look cool

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I have to admit, Snake without the beard looks strange to me. MGS3 was my primary introduction to the series, and at the time, I wasn't aware of there being more than one Snake until after Brawl came out in which I was well used to the design by then. I'm glad they kept the beard, it's a shame Ganon didn't.

Top Bottom