• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Meta Knight wear a Mask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
Why does Meta (almost) always wear a mask? I'm pretty sure it has yet to be revealed in-game. What's your opinion on it?

I hope there's a trophy on it in Brawl...

CurryLad

Smash Cadet
he is Kirby's twin, but an evil wizard cast a spell on him making him majin kirby. But he goes by the name Meta Knight. He wears a mask to hide the M on his forehead!

Omegakyogre

Smash Cadet
Apparently he likes it a lot, because in every game Kirby fights Meta Knight and wins, the mask is split in half. That's why there is a crease in the middle! ( I think :p ) He must keep going back to get it and repair it.

The mask is awesome, regardless of reasoning. Perhaps it is simply armor, because Kirby's and Meta Knight's bodies consist of a head with feet and arms? Also, why does Meta Knight have dragon wings?

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
The mask is awesome, regardless of reasoning. Perhaps it is simply armor, because Kirby's and Meta Knight's bodies consist of a head with feet and arms? Also, why does Meta Knight have dragon wings?
I really think it's meant to be a mask...

As for the wings? I think that Meta Knight is an 'adult' Kirby, so he has permanent control over his copy abilities.

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
I had one theory with no backing.

The sword/wings/cape might be Meta's preferred copy ability, seeing that he's also a 'kirby.' The mask might be designed to keep his copy's in, thus giving the Knight a reason to flea every time it breaks.

Kasek

Smash Ace
I had one theory with no backing.

The sword/wings/cape might be Meta's preferred copy ability, seeing that he's also a 'kirby.' The mask might be designed to keep his copy's in, thus giving the Knight a reason to flea every time it breaks.
He uses his cape to flee, so there goes that theory. Another one: He's so used to using copy abilities that he can use them without copying them directly (I know that sounds similar to my last post, but hear me out!). Kind of like in Pokemon, having a Pokemon use Mimic to temporarily learn an ability and having it learn the ability directly are two different things, because then you can mixup the moveset more. ....wait, that didn't come out right. Well, anyways, Meta Knight figured out how to do that stuff on his own, without having to resort to copy abilities (I remember that in the anime, he gave Kirby sword training, but refused to let him just swallow the sword and get sword skills that way).

Oakwood

Smash Cadet
Kirby lore is possibly one of the least complete out of all of Nintendo's franchises (maybe only in contention with Mario lore). Because of this, much of it is nebulous guess-work. I've oft pondered it, and came to a few conclusions on my own:

- Meta Knight and Kirby are the both Star Warriors. Kirby is very young, while Meta Knight is clearly an adult. It isn't known whether or not all Star Warriors possess the ability to copy early in their lives. It's feasible that they do and choose their favorite power to assimilate permanently as a "coming of age" sort of thing. However, it is known that Kirby is technically a bio-weapon: he was "created" for a specific, sinister purpose (though it was regarded as a "failure"). Because of Meta Knight's existence as a fellow member of Kirby's race, it's likely that a "normal" star warrior was tampered with to obtain the unique ability to copy. This would also explain why Meta Knight can't.

- Meta Knight did not use a copy ability to obtain his sword, Galaxia, since it is considered a legendary piece of equipment and he went through great lengths to physically obtain it. Going with the theory that all Star Warriors can copy, one could assume that he acquired the sword ability and obtained his swordsmanship skills from that. I'm not really a fan of that theory, though, I'm more inclined to think that Meta Knight relies on himself and two powerful pieces of equipment - his sword and his cape - and his wits alone. His personality and ideology reflect that he values discipline, training, and practice (as opposed to assimilation by copy), so I'd assume he trained in swordsmanship the old-fashioned way.

- Why does he wear a mask? I think a lot of good reasons have already been mentioned. Star Warriors fought with the Galaxy Soldier Army, which gives rise to the implicature that it is comprised of multiple races fighting under a common banner. Conscious of his "soft" appearance, it is possible that he wouldn't want to give his allies the wrong impression; he wouldn't want to be written off based on his appearance alone. It is likely that he also desires to keep his identity secret from Kirby. If Kirby were to realize that they were of the same race, it might detract from Meta Knight's air of authority as Kirby's teacher. The fact that Meta Knight always flees when his mask is broken in battle with Kirby gives credibility to this particular theory.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Kirby must be pretty dumb to not spot someone with the same body shape...Maybe he just wears the mask to have yellow eyes or not get tanned.

Omegakyogre

Smash Cadet
Kirby lore is possibly one of the least complete out of all of Nintendo's franchises (maybe only in contention with Mario lore). Because of this, much of it is nebulous guess-work. I've oft pondered it, and came to a few conclusions on my own:

- Meta Knight and Kirby are the both Star Warriors. Kirby is very young, while Meta Knight is clearly an adult. It isn't known whether or not all Star Warriors possess the ability to copy early in their lives. It's feasible that they do and choose their favorite power to assimilate permanently as a "coming of age" sort of thing. However, it is known that Kirby is technically a bio-weapon: he was "created" for a specific, sinister purpose (though it was regarded as a "failure"). Because of Meta Knight's existence as a fellow member of Kirby's race, it's likely that a "normal" star warrior was tampered with to obtain the unique ability to copy. This would also explain why Meta Knight can't.

- Meta Knight did not use a copy ability to obtain his sword, Galaxia, since it is considered a legendary piece of equipment and he went through great lengths to physically obtain it. Going with the theory that all Star Warriors can copy, one could assume that he acquired the sword ability and obtained his swordsmanship skills from that. I'm not really a fan of that theory, though, I'm more inclined to think that Meta Knight relies on himself and two powerful pieces of equipment - his sword and his cape - and his wits alone. His personality and ideology reflect that he values discipline, training, and practice (as opposed to assimilation by copy), so I'd assume he trained in swordsmanship the old-fashioned way.

- Why does he wear a mask? I think a lot of good reasons have already been mentioned. Star Warriors fought with the Galaxy Soldier Army, which gives rise to the implicature that it is comprised of multiple races fighting under a common banner. Conscious of his "soft" appearance, it is possible that he wouldn't want to give his allies the wrong impression; he wouldn't want to be written off based on his appearance alone. It is likely that he also desires to keep his identity secret from Kirby. If Kirby were to realize that they were of the same race, it might detract from Meta Knight's air of authority as Kirby's teacher. The fact that Meta Knight always flees when his mask is broken in battle with Kirby gives credibility to this particular theory.
That's a well-thought post, Oakwood. Good job.

I can agree with everything you said. I personally believe that Kirby is the only one of his kind (Popopo) that has the ability to copy abilities by inhaling his enemies, thus is why Meta Knight doesn't take advantage of it (and probably why Kirby has his own game :D ). Even if his ideology makes him value training and practice, I don't think he would purposefully choose not to use all of his abilities to their maximum potential. Also, I like the idea of concealing his identity to Kirby, although Kirby is probably too naive right now to understand that anyway in his young years. I don't think the mask will help MK achieve anonymity when Kirby grows up and sees MK as a puffball just like him 'cept with a magical cape/wings thing, a mask and gloves :p .

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I think Oakwood might be right except "Star Warrior" is not a race, and the term is never used in the games.

It's only used in the anime, where the star warriors were like an organization(not sure as I never watched it , just what I heard).

Kasek

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Star Warriors are more of an organization (though, all of the top members seem to be puffballs, as well.).

And I thought that the 'hide face from Kirby' use was too obvious to actually post...

We don't know about Galaxia's origins, game-wise. Remember, the games and the anime are two different timelines (though, since Sakurai worked on the anime, some anime stuff has snaked its way into the games, such as Galaxia, De De De's castle, and the fact that the Waddles now actually acknowledge De De De's authority).

Galvanic: You said that his mask holds his powers, thus why he flees when it breaks. Yet, he uses his cape- i.e., his powers, to do said fleeing. Thus, there goes that theory.

D. M.

Smash Rookie
Poster above is correct, Star Warriors are nonexistant, as are the Star Soldiers, in the games. In the games, Kirby has been capable of intelligent thought (at least manuals have hinted so), and isn't a baby. Meta Knight is not specificially on any side like the anime, where he's clearly on Kirby's side despite some clouded motives.

No bond or relationship between Meta and Kirby has ever been established in the games besides what seems to be a rivalry if they disagree on a subject of how to handle a problem (Meta Knight will steal a locked-up demon to guard from evil while Kirby would want to open it, find out it isn't his dessert, and take care of it personally... also, Kirby will teach Dedede lessons over Meta deciding to lead an assault on the kingdom to take it into better hands.) Meta has been shown to help Kirby, giving him lolipops and testing his skills, and when not in a dire moment, will make Kirby fight him blade-to-blade (or he'll try to in a dire moment, he offeres Kirby a sword when the Halberd's crashing for 30 seconds)

The mask adds an intimidating feel to the swordsman (scowl-like slit for the eyes makes the cheery oval eyes he has look less cheery, yes?). Also, it shrouds his face, and makes his eyes glow, preventing others from seeing the true form of Meta Knight. The wings are simply formed from his cape. Meta's powers can be argued as copy abilities, but I'd say he just has them as his own powers.

And I've probably gone off topic, haven't I? Well I simply love to state opinions or history on things like that.

Oakwood

Smash Cadet
I think Oakwood might be right except "Star Warrior" is not a race, and the term is never used in the games.

It's only used in the anime, where the star warriors were like an organization(not sure as I never watched it , just what I heard).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_of_the_Stars

"Some plot aspects are changed or removed entirely. The Star Warriors are kept in both versions, but the dub removes all mention of the Galaxy Soldier Army and instead calls nearly every soldier a Star Warrior. The GSA is originally a more prominent and common group while Star Warriors are considered legendary and far more rare."

The original Japanese version calls Kirby and Meta Knight's race "Star Warriors" and the organization Meta Knight once fought for the "Galaxy Soldier Army." The English dub changed things around a bit.

Some people may not agree, but I personally feel that the anime can be regarded as cannon, since Sakurai was/is closely involved with its development. *shrug*

---

In the games, Kirby has been capable of intelligent thought (at least manuals have hinted so), and isn't a baby.

Yeah, you tend to get that sense when you play the games. Detach yourself from your human perspective though - a baby in a long-lived species or an extremely intelligent species could easily be capable of higher-level cognitive function at a "young" age. If you've played Mass Effect, you probably know that the Asari that joins your party is 109, but she says she is barely considered a teenager among her people.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
One of the possible reasons:

1. He doesnt want kirby to know that he is the same species as him, even though he teaches kirby sword fighting XD (in the anime)

2. He wants to look mysterious/ bad ***/awesome (insert any cool words here)

3. He is a knight, so if there isnt a shiny armor in size Extra small and round around, a mask covers his whole body! XD

D. M.

Smash Rookie
In the games, Kirby has been capable of intelligent thought (at least manuals have hinted so), and isn't a baby.

Yeah, you tend to get that sense when you play the games. Detach yourself from your human perspective though - a baby in a long-lived species or an extremely intelligent species could easily be capable of higher-level cognitive function at a "young" age. If you've played Mass Effect, you probably know that the Asari that joins your party is 109, but she says she is barely considered a teenager among her people.
Except Kirby's unable to do much in the anime, and he's the same race as old-as-dirt Meta Knight. He slowly learns to talk but as said, he was never fully awake, prematurely born and thus not really capable of knowing much.

In the original manual Kirby was called a "young boy". And can talk to characters, as he's often spoken to Dedede in backstories to games. It's safe to say he's a Dreamlander who's just a young kid, not really alien at all.

mickomoo

Smash Rookie
I always thought it was from embarrasment. I mean look at Omegakyogre's animated avatar, that's exactly what he does in the games when he doesn't have his mask.

Riakou

Smash Apprentice
because without the mask his name would be "meta Pufball" instead of "Meta Knight"

J18

Smash Journeyman
why the hell not.
why does pit wear a skirt
why does dk wear a tie
why does snake wear a headband
why does sonic wear gloves
WHY THE HELL DOES ANYBODY WEAR ANYTHING (Zamus in mind)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The honest answer is that is simply how his character was designed way back in the old Kirby games. While sitting down, the designers wanted to create another Kirby-like character and through artistic process decided to go with a "knight" theme. This may have been related to his role in the game, or his role in the game may have come from his design, but the end result is Meta Knight.

Meta Knight's mask, cape, sword, gloves, etc were all given to him as a thematic style and to further distinguish him from Kirby, who is by both theme and design, simple and cute. Further evolutions to Meta Knight's design and personality were applied over time, changing as his roles in Kirby games became more prominent.

The above is all IMO, and I have to say it's not really something that should be thought too deeply upon. Kirby games are light-hearted and can just be taken as-is. If there is any answer for questions like these it would be up to Mr. Sakurai to give them.

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman
Galvanic: You said that his mask holds his powers, thus why he flees when it breaks. Yet, he uses his cape- i.e., his powers, to do said fleeing. Thus, there goes that theory.
Ah, I must not of explained it well enough.

Kirby takes copy abilities but can have them knocked out of him easily.

I was saying that Meta's cape/wings/sword was a copy ability. The mask was a separate element that kept the cape/wings/sword from being knocked out. Without the mask, MK might risk loosing his 'Meta' ability the same way as Kirby loses all of his. So thus, he flees whenever his mask breaks in order to keep the copy in.

I actually thought of another crux in my theory, albeit a non-continuity one; the fact that, in Brawl, Kirby takes MK's mask when he copies.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Ah, I must not of explained it well enough.

Kirby takes copy abilities but can have them knocked out of him easily.

I was saying that Meta's cape/wings/sword was a copy ability. The mask was a separate element that kept the cape/wings/sword from being knocked out. Without the mask, MK might risk loosing his 'Meta' ability the same way as Kirby loses all of his. So thus, he flees whenever his mask breaks in order to keep the copy in.

I actually thought of another crux in my theory, albeit a non-continuity one; the fact that, in Brawl, Kirby takes MK's mask when he copies.

Interesting theory, it makes sense too.

Omegakyogre

Smash Cadet
I still believe that Kirby is the only one of his kind that can copy powers. My guess is that all of them have some different ability; Meta Knight is a swordsman and has wings (The mask is an add-on), and Kirby's unique ability is copying other abilities.

I think the reason Meta Knight flees whenever his mask falls off is not just because his mask falls off. I think the two things happening are coincidental, and the only reason MK flees is that he knows that he lost the battle. His mask being broken is a sign that he was defeated.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
I still believe that Kirby is the only one of his kind that can copy powers. My guess is that all of them have some different ability; Meta Knight is a swordsman and has wings (The mask is an add-on), and Kirby's unique ability is copying other abilities.

I think the reason Meta Knight flees whenever his mask falls off is not just because his mask falls off. I think the two things happening are coincidental, and the only reason MK flees is that he knows that he lost the battle. His mask being broken is a sign that he was defeated.
Thats what I first assumed. It's best not to think too much about it.

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Why does Meta (almost) always wear a mask?
I don't know. Was he "burned by acid, or something?"

I actually like the 'mask keeps in the copy' ability. Reminds me a lot of Milky Way wishes, and how kirby had a resoviour of powers that he could call forth.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Really good theories. I guess he wears the mask to look cool and hide his ID from Kirby, as many have said. But I've oft wondered about his wings, and I always thought it was cause he was an adult of Kirby's species. Maybe Kirby will grow wings O_O, or maybe it is simply that they all have a unique ability.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Kirby: Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid, or something like that?
Meta Knight: Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom