• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone think diddy kong is the best character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Ok so I'm the bad guy here for making a thread on why I don't think diddy is the best character and I get a bunch of disrespectful arguements and a guy says "all of my points are wrong" yeah don't consider what I say just say I have a closed mindset because I don't have the popular opinion and no one will just say "I see your point" or "here is MY opinion on ____" no. I get a bunch of MY OPINION IS FACT BULLCRAP on this forum. I litterally said ITS OK IF YOU DON'T THINK YOSHI IS BETTER THAN DIDDY and I get a response of YOUR POINTS ARE WRONG.
No, it's just that there's no reason for an entire thread for this since you're just inviting an argument. We were never disrespectful. The problem is, you started right away by telling us that OUR points are wrong. We never said your opinion is "bullcrap", just that at the moment, Yoshi is not considered the better character. The meta can and will change, and that may see Yoshi's popularity rise even more. If you are bent on proving that Yoshi is better than Diddy, participate in tournaments and prove to us with concrete results that Yoshi is better.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
No, it's just that there's no reason for an entire thread for this since you're just inviting an argument. We were never disrespectful. The problem is, you started right away by telling us that OUR points are wrong. We never said your opinion is "bullcrap", just that at the moment, Yoshi is not considered the better character. The meta can and will change, and that may see Yoshi's popularity rise even more. If you are bent on proving that Yoshi is better than Diddy, participate in tournaments and prove to us with concrete results that Yoshi is better.
I don't think points are wrong unless by MY experience I find them to be untrue. If I don't have experience of it I will assume its true IF you haven't been stating points that are contradicted by what my experience has been. I don't see how diddy has alot of options, I see how he can use one option that over powers whatever other option the player is trying. which leads into them doing the same thing over and over. If you will provide me evidence as to why diddy has all these options I will believe you

And when I'm saying "my opinion is fact bullcrap" I mean someone starts an arguement because I have an opinion then I go to state my claims as to why I think that and they litterally say they're wrong.

Here's what happened:
I make the thread
Someone asks me who I think is better
I say yoshi
This guy laughs at me for thinking yoshi is better<you see where I'm going with this
I ask him to tell me 5 weaknesses of yoshi
He doesn't give me 5 weaknesses and just tells me stuff about how he thinks diddy is better and everything he says about yoshi doesn't go with my experience
I give my points as to why I think he's wrong
He gives me more points that are contradicted with my experience
I give my points as to why I think he's wrong again
Something after that I can't remember, but he said something about lag on his moves and I gave him the like 5 moves I find laggy on yoshi (which isn't much to me)
I tell him its fine if he thinks diddy is better but I'm going to give my points as to why I think yoshi is better
He litterally flat out says my points are wrong.

Now I main yoshi and if he was saying ANYTHING I thought applied legitimatly to yoshi I wouldn't argue.
AND I gave you info about yoshi

So your calling me the bad guy for all of this arguement with a person thats litterally saying my opinions are wrong, WHEN I'M NOT EVEN ARGUEING WITH YOU MUCH IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Anyways I gotta go to bed and if you provide information to back up why diddy has so many options I WILL look tommorrow.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I think the main problem with this thread is that we're trying to use the Diddy boards to gather information and strategies for our characters. Like, I'm not sure why you're not posting this in the competitive character impressions thread so you can gather opinions outside of Diddy mains. Most of us care about learning how to use our character to get the best results, not debating someone's opinion on if Yoshi is a better character than ours or not. The Diddy boards are cluttered with threads like this, and it really sucks. It's like the Little Mac boards getting "Is Little Mac really that bad?" threads or something like that.

I'm not going to bother replying to your stuff about Yoshi, because like I said, this shouldn't be posted here in the first place (and I shouldn't have responded in the first place rip). If you're looking for a legitimate discussion on this, I'd take it to the competitive impressions thread so that you can get opinions from both sides (specifically people that probably have more Yoshi experience than you).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think the main problem with this thread is that we're trying to use the Diddy boards to gather information and strategies for our characters. Like, I'm not sure why you're not posting this in the competitive character impressions thread so you can gather opinions outside of Diddy mains. Most of us care about learning how to use our character to get the best results, not debating someone's opinion on if Yoshi is a better character than ours or not. The Diddy boards are cluttered with threads like this, and it really sucks. It's like the Little Mac boards getting "Is Little Mac really that bad?" threads or something like that.

I'm not going to bother replying to your stuff about Yoshi, because like I said, this shouldn't be posted here in the first place (and I shouldn't have responded in the first place rip). If you're looking for a legitimate discussion on this, I'd take it to the competitive impressions thread so that you can get opinions from both sides (specifically people that probably have more Yoshi experience than you).
I agree with this a thousand times over. A character's viability should not be judged based on memetic status (and coming from a Pit / Palutena main, I know what that's like), but on close analyses and aggregate data. It's like people asking in the Dark Pit board, "Why does everybody hate Dark Pit?" or, as above, people asking in the Little Mac board, "Why do people get salty about Mac?" You're speaking to a crowd of people that play Diddy Kong and know how he works. Their defense of Diddy is not based solely on bias, but on a basic understanding of how he works.

Personally, I think Diddy is a very strong character overall, but he definitely has his weaknesses. I don't think he's objectively the best (I don't think there's such a thing as objectively the best, unless we're speaking in terms of specific aspects of their character), but I won't deny that he's an incredibly dangerous opponent in the hands of a skilled player, either. So, to answer OP, not everybody thinks Diddy's the best. But there is a very good reason why is high-tier and why people think he's a strong character anyway.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7

I've never seen that thread before.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I've never seen that thread before.
All is good, dude. Sorry if I came across as rude. You're going to get way more of a serious discussion there regarding the viability of characters and where most people feel the top characters place.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Why did you create a thread titled "Why does everyone think Diddy Kong is the best character" if you're not willing to listen to the responses people gave? It's alright to have a different opinion, but you've been consistently rude to the people who have been trying to answer you and shrugging off their opinions, even though they main Diddy and you do not.

If you really and honestly want to know why Diddy is considered better than Yoshi, it's because he has an easy grab -> kill setup on most of the cast that can ITSELF be set up using a projectile, an amazing command grab option that can cover most of the stage and can double as a horizontal recovery option, and overall very powerful, lagless moves. Basically all of his aerials can be kill moves when used effectively sans neutral aerial, and they all have little to no landing lag, sans maybe down air, which you wouldn't use above the stage anyway. He isn't bad on the ground either, with some very strong damage racking moves like down tilt and overall solid smash attacks, which also can be easily setup with Banana peel. (Again, one can never underestimate the effectiveness of a PROJECTILE KILL SETUP.) Diddy isn't an unflawed character of course, as his recovery is pretty horrible and his banana can be used against him by characters like Villager, but overall Diddy is one of the safest and most deadly characters in the game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Best approach in the game with banana or Side B, which is also great out of shield. Two of his aerials are probably the best aerials in the game ; F Air and U Air, and they combo and finish off very well both. Is great at getting grabs, has two projectiles which are both usable in their own way, he's extremely mobile, has little lag on his moves and he has the most reliable finisher combo in the game.

Negative sides would be that he's worse in teams and his recovery is messy.

Last edited:

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Best approach in the game with banana or Side B, which is also great out of shield. Two of his aerials are probably the best aerials in the game ; F Air and U Air, and they combo and finish off very well both. Is great at getting grabs, has two projectiles which are both usable in their own way, he's extremely mobile, has little lag on his moves and he has the most reliable finisher combo in the game.

Negative sides would be that he's worse in teams and his recovery is messy.
Out of curiosity, what is it that makes Diddy Kong worse in doubles?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Out of curiosity, what is it that makes Diddy Kong worse in doubles?
It's much easier to disturb Diddy's 'flow' in doubles. Bananas take too much time relatively to take out casually, and Diddy is easy to combo, so team efforts against him are usually double effective. He's not bad in teams, no of course not, but worse than 1 vs 1.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
It's much easier to disturb Diddy's 'flow' in doubles. Bananas take too much time relatively to take out casually, and Diddy is easy to combo, so team efforts against him are usually double effective. He's not bad in teams, no of course not, but worse than 1 vs 1.
Ahh I see. Thanks for the quick reply.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
It boils down to this: He has a number of tools that are easy to land and are safe. This would be fine, but these deal too much damage and kill too early as well. Not only is his neutral incredible, but he doesn't need to do as much to get a kill. Sheik also has a great neutral, but she has a lot more trouble killing.

It's just really unsatisfying to watch 2 players play and one of them winning besides not getting as many good reads. This is okay for characters with crap neutral (like bowser), they're supposed to get a lot out of each attack. Diddy just has really dumb numerical advantages he shouldn't have. If he had a bit of trouble killing and his hair did less damage, he'd be fine.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman

Thanks for this. I'm so tired of threads that complain or are apologetics for Diddy. They are the reason this board hasn't developed as much. We have a bunch of non-Diddy mains starting 75% of the threads on a sub forum that should primarily be for Diddy mains.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks for this. I'm so tired of threads that complain or are apologetics for Diddy. They are the reason this board hasn't developed as much. We have a bunch of non-Diddy mains starting 75% of the threads on a sub forum that should primarily be for Diddy mains.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But Diddy isn't an ape.

Nice analysis of Diddy's proficiency in doubles, though. Only deepens my conviction that no character is truly "broken" and that every character has inherent strengths and weaknesses. :3

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Just how much is "more" then?

Yoshi has a better projectile that can be angled to cover just about anywhere thats 10 meters from him, he has more approach options that are SAFER than diddy's.

Look at this
Yoshi's shield never gets smaller
Yoshi can combo out of pretty much every approach he does
Yoshi doesn't HAVE to approach against most characters
Yoshi can counter people that come up to kill him off the top
Yoshi can counter edge guards with a SPIKE
Yoshi LITTERALLY has an attack that does 32% damage and CHIPS SHIELD TO VERY SMALL LEVELS
Yoshi can edge guard EFFECTIVELY without jumping off the stage
Yoshi can hit you when you're off the top of the screen without going into free fall mode
A lot of characters can do that, doesn't make them any better than Diddy
Yoshi's shield never gets smaller
Whut, his shield does deteriorate like everyone else's
Also, why create a thread if you aren't open to the responses you get?
Mods if you will

Spirst

Okay, so while this thread had initial promise for somewhat legitimate discussion, doesn't seem to have gone that way. As such, due to the argument turning out to be little more than "NO IM RIGHT" and heating up, this will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom