• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does everyone think diddy kong is the best character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
He doesn't get damage over 40% out of combos, he struggles to kill unless your opponent likes to jump above you so you can get a free up air, his airial walls can easily be stopped by any airial attack with decent range, he can't use his recovery after a flip kick, and his recovery is gimpable. Sure he has alot of options but just because he is easy to play and wins alot of tourneys does NOT mean he's the best character in the game.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
He doesn't get damage over 40% out of combos, he struggles to kill unless your opponent likes to jump above you so you can get a free up air, his airial walls can easily be stopped by any airial attack with decent range, he can't use his recovery after a flip kick, and his recovery is gimpable. Sure he has alot of options but just because he is easy to play and wins alot of tourneys does NOT mean he's the best character in the game.
What character is better?

Also, I'm sure this could go in the meta thread or something. :x

Arbitation

Smash Rookie
Yo @ MonkeyArms MonkeyArms have you seen Diddy Kong's kill set ups? Yoshi doesn't have that, and in my opinion, that's enough to make Diddy better than Yoshi.

Diddy can so so much easier in neutral, whereas Yoshi just loses to back roll.

Also, Yoshi's recovery is easily gimped as well.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
I disagree about Diddy struggling to kill. You can get throw set ups with banana or d-tilt. There you can do DThrow to Uair or even fair which kills at like 130%. Uthrow into Uair also works sometimes.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Yo @ MonkeyArms MonkeyArms have you seen Diddy Kong's kill set ups? Yoshi doesn't have that, and in my opinion, that's enough to make Diddy better than Yoshi.

Diddy can so so much easier in neutral, whereas Yoshi just loses to back roll.

Also, Yoshi's recovery is easily gimped as well.
1. down throw and banana, thats as far as I know are "kill set ups"

2. yoshi covers rolls like a boss, so thats out of the question

3. if yoshi doesn't attack during his double jump, good luck on gimping him without a footstool

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Tell me 5 weaknesses of yoshi then.
I'm not a yoshi main, but I do know that Diddy has more kill setups, amazing aerials that auto cancel, a banana, the best down throw in the game, amazing approaches, a better spike, a better recovery, etc.

Yoshi is easily gimped and has a horrible recovery, his approaches aren't THAT strong, and he has no guaranteed throw combos (I think he might have maybe 1 or 2, but idk), Yoshi has lag on his moves and his easily punished, etc.

I'm not saying Yoshi is bad, he is high tier in my opinion, but he is CERTAINLY not better than Diddy.

1. down throw and banana, thats as far as I know are "kill set ups"

2. yoshi covers rolls like a boss, so thats out of the question

3. if yoshi doesn't attack during his double jump, good luck on gimping him without a footstool
Well number 1 kind of ruled out all credibility you had on the Yoshi being better than Diddy argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm not a yoshi main, but I do know that Diddy has more kill setups, amazing aerials that auto cancel, a banana, the best down throw in the game, amazing approaches, a better spike, a better recovery, etc.
Guys (@ MonkeyArms MonkeyArms ), let's all be mature about this and not spam Yoshi icons.

I agree with everything @ Mazdamaxsti Mazdamaxsti said in the quote I'm replying to, except for Diddy's recovery. I think Diddy Kong's recovery can easily be gimped. Yes, it's outrageously long-distance and you can control it even after triggered, but quicker chracters with excellent aerial skills can probably get a few hits in before Diddy makes his way back to stage. I find Yoshi's flutter (jump) back to stage + an Egg Throw is more reliable, but that's just me.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Yoshi is easily gimped and has a horrible recovery
Yoshi has a recovery? No, seriously, I thought his Up B was just an attack, not a recovery option. Either way, both Yoshi and Diddy are easy to gimp, Diddy when using his rocket barrels

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
thats why you use them before you double jump
That doesn't change the fact that the opponent will not just let you use them. Besides, his second jump is MUCH higher, and I don't think you can use it if you use the "recovery" first?

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
That doesn't change the fact that the opponent will not just let you use them. Besides, his second jump is MUCH higher, and I don't think you can use it if you use the "recovery" first?
Only yoshi and mega man can jump after their recovery. plus you can angle the projectile so it hits your opponent

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Only yoshi and mega man can jump after their recovery. plus you can angle the projectile so it hits your opponent
Okay then. Yoshi is good, but Diddy just has more options and he's been consistently placing high at tournaments. That's why people think he's the best character. Of course, the meta is still young.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7

Yoshi is easily gimped and has a horrible recovery, his approaches aren't THAT strong, and he has no guaranteed throw combos (I think he might have maybe 1 or 2, but idk), Yoshi has lag on his moves and his easily punished, etc.

I'm not saying Yoshi is bad, he is high tier in my opinion, but he is CERTAINLY not better than Diddy.
just to make this clear.

Luigi has the best down throw.
Yoshi has more kill OPTIONS. and he still has plenty of kill setups
Saying diddy's spike is better than yoshis is just bull
Yoshi's approaches are actually VERY reliable
Yoshi's moves do NOT have that much end lag.
Yoshi is rarely gimped if he still has his second jump

My point here is, you do not play yoshi.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
just to make this clear.

Luigi and Diddy are both contenders, and while Luigi has guaranteed moves at higher percents, he can't kill unless he reads a DI and lands a b-air/ a lucky up-b. Diddy on the other hand has d-throw to u-air (which kills at 80% maybe less light characters and 90%-100% maybe less average), and if you DI away you eat a f-air/b-air all the time, which can also kill.

Diddy has all of his aerials, all of his smashes (but d-smash is stilla good kill move, it isn't reliable), and a kill throw. Diddy also has plenty of kill setups.

Diddy's spike is one of the better spikes in the game, and is around on par with DK's (no lie, someone made a list a while back and Diddy's was ranked 1 below DK, who was 2nd.

Yoshi's approaches insist of camping eggs and not approaching (lol), N-air in the sky, dash attack, punish and jab, and more. Diddy has banana, side-b attack, side-b grab, any sort of grab, SHFF N-air, u-air, f-air, and more.

Yoshi's f-air is so easy to punish that it is laughable, same with d-air, u-air is fine tho.

It isn't that hard to gimp a yoshi, he doesn't have infinite armor. I can d-air a yoshi and if all my hits connects the superarmor leaves. If you get a spike or a footstool on Yoshi, just call it GG. They can't mke it back. Even if they do make it back, get some free damage in.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Luigi and Diddy are both contenders, and while Luigi has guaranteed moves at higher percents, he can't kill unless he reads a DI and lands a b-air/ a lucky up-b. Diddy on the other hand has d-throw to u-air (which kills at 80% maybe less light characters and 90%-100% maybe less average), and if you DI away you eat a f-air/b-air all the time, which can also kill.

Diddy has all of his aerials, all of his smashes (but d-smash is stilla good kill move, it isn't reliable), and a kill throw. Diddy also has plenty of kill setups.

Diddy's spike is one of the better spikes in the game, and is around on par with DK's (no lie, someone made a list a while back and Diddy's was ranked 1 below DK, who was 2nd.

Yoshi's approaches insist of camping eggs and not approaching (lol), N-air in the sky, dash attack, punish and jab, and more. Diddy has banana, side-b attack, side-b grab, any sort of grab, SHFF N-air, u-air, f-air, and more.

Yoshi's f-air is so easy to punish that it is laughable, same with d-air, u-air is fine tho.

It isn't that hard to gimp a yoshi, he doesn't have infinite armor. I can d-air a yoshi and if all my hits connects the superarmor leaves. If you get a spike or a footstool on Yoshi, just call it GG. They can't mke it back. Even if they do make it back, get some free damage in.
Luigi has a down b that doesn't need to read di

diddys up smash barely even works and his foward air only works as a kill move at the edge of the stage

Yoshi's spike hits 3 times more than diddy's. 'nough said

Yoshi's approaches by spacing with forward air and uses rising nuetral air and can follow his egg to make it a shield into another attack.

YOU. KNOW. NOTHING. ABOUT. YOSHI'S. FORWARD. AIR.

and if yoshi knows how to hit you with eggs, your getting spiked while they recover IF they aren't hitting you with nuetral air

THIS. GAME. IS. NOT. BRAWL.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Luigi has a down b that doesn't need to read di

diddys up smash barely even works and his foward air only works as a kill move at the edge of the stage

Yoshi's spike hits 3 times more than diddy's. 'nough said

Yoshi's approaches by spacing with forward air and uses rising nuetral air and can follow his egg to make it a shield into another attack.

YOU. KNOW. NOTHING. ABOUT. YOSHI'S. FORWARD. AIR.

and if yoshi knows how to hit you with eggs, your getting spiked while they recover IF they aren't hitting you with nuetral air

THIS. GAME. IS. NOT. BRAWL.
I know it isn't Brawl, but my main is Kirby, with Yoshi being Kirby's worst match-up BY FAR. I know about Yoshi's moves and ****, and I also had to learn Diddy. Stop being so ignorant.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
just to make this clear.

It doesn't matter if he doesn't play Yoshi. Since he mains Kirby, as do I, we need to know how to deal with Yoshi, as it's one of Kirby's worst matchups, if not THE worst.

And since you ignored my post about Diddy being better because he has more options, I guess you concede to that, so there's no point to this thread anymore, not that there was to begin with.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I know it isn't Brawl, but my main is Kirby, with Yoshi being Kirby's worst match-up BY FAR. I know about Yoshi's moves and ****, and I also had to learn Diddy. Stop being so ignorant.
you act like your the person that is ignorant as 75% of what you say about yoshi is FALSE.
It doesn't matter if he doesn't play Yoshi. Since he mains Kirby, as do I, we need to know how to deal with Yoshi, as it's one of Kirby's worst matchups, if not THE worst.

And since you ignored my post about Diddy being better because he has more options, I guess you concede to that, so there's no point to this thread anymore, not that there was to begin with.
You never said you thought he was better. you said people think he's the best character in the game because he has more options.
But having more options does not make a character better than another character. Look at pikachu, look at peach, look at link. they all have several diffferent options but that doesn't make them top tier.

GameRat

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong is predictable. Most diddy kong players just do a down throw and two up airs to handle their enemies. He's just difficult to fight up close. If anything, luring him is the best thing to do.

Even though he's in the top tier, he still has a lot of disadvantages. His recovery can be gimped easily, and he's light, making him easier to KO at low percents.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
you act like your the person that is ignorant as 75% of what you say about yoshi is FALSE.

You never said you thought he was better. you said people think he's the best character in the game because he has more options.
But having more options does not make a character better than another character. Look at pikachu, look at peach, look at link. they all have several diffferent options but that doesn't make them top tier.
Yeah, other people think he's better. How is that different? That's what you're questioning, right?
They all have SEVERAL DIFFERENT options. That's different from having MORE options

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Yeah, other people think he's better. How is that different? That's what you're questioning, right?
They all have SEVERAL DIFFERENT options. That's different from having MORE options
Just how much is "more" then?

Yoshi has a better projectile that can be angled to cover just about anywhere thats 10 meters from him, he has more approach options that are SAFER than diddy's.

Look at this
Yoshi can make a egg shield (his projectile, not litterally his shield) to neutral air
Yoshi's shield never gets smaller
Yoshi can combo out of pretty much every approach he does
Yoshi doesn't HAVE to approach against most characters
Yoshi can counter people that come up to kill him off the top
Yoshi can get out of ANY ungaranteed combo with a double jump
Yoshi can jab to grab
Yoshi can jab to dash attack
Yoshi can down throw and up air, and if they air dodge, up smash.
Yoshi can counter edge guards with a SPIKE
Yoshi LITTERALLY has an attack that does 32% damage and CHIPS SHIELD TO VERY SMALL LEVELS
Yoshi can edge guard EFFECTIVELY without jumping off the stage
Yoshi's moves have little end lag, excluding down b, side b, down air, and side tilt. back air has a bit but its not easy to punish
Yoshi can hit you when you're off the top of the screen without going into free fall mode

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

I'm not ignorant, you think just because I don't main Yoshi means I don't know how he works. Kirby's worst match-up, and I have to play against if DAILY against one of my best friends who mains him.

Also Pikachu is top tier, and Peach is speculated to be high-ish due to her being such a technical character and ****.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I'm not ignorant, you think just because I don't main Yoshi means I don't know how he works. Kirby's worst match-up, and I have to play against if DAILY against one of my best friends who mains him.

Also Pikachu is top tier, and Peach is speculated to be high-ish due to her being such a technical character and ****.
...I don't care how much you play yoshi, you're argueing with yoshi MAIN about how yoshi is in this game.
and if you don't think yoshi is better than diddy, thats fine, but I'm still going to give my arguements about how he is because I don't think diddy is the best character.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Just how much is "more" then?

Yoshi has a better projectile that can be angled to cover just about anywhere thats 10 meters from him, he has more approach options that are SAFER than diddy's.

Look at this
Yoshi can make a egg shield (his projectile, not litterally his shield) to neutral air
Yoshi's shield never gets smaller
Yoshi can combo out of pretty much every approach he does
Yoshi doesn't HAVE to approach against most characters
Yoshi can counter people that come up to kill him off the top
Yoshi can get out of ANY ungaranteed combo with a double jump
Yoshi can jab to grab
Yoshi can jab to dash attack
Yoshi can down throw and up air, and if they air dodge, up smash.
Yoshi can counter edge guards with a SPIKE
Yoshi LITTERALLY has an attack that does 32% damage and CHIPS SHIELD TO VERY SMALL LEVELS
Yoshi can edge guard EFFECTIVELY without jumping off the stage
Yoshi's moves have little end lag, excluding down b, side b, down air, and side tilt. back air has a bit but its not easy to punish
Yoshi can hit you when you're off the top of the screen without going into free fall mode
idk mang, ask Sakurai.
Seriously though, was the point of this thread just to argue? Cuz that's not going to end well

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
...I don't care how much you play yoshi, you're argueing with yoshi MAIN about how yoshi is in this game.
and if you don't think yoshi is better than diddy, thats fine, but I'm still going to give my arguements about how he is because I don't think diddy is the best character.
Well your points are wrong

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Well your points are wrong
Gosh this makes arguements between sonic fans seem more respectful than any arguements I've had on this forum so far, because someone refuses to listen to what I say and have a closed mindset.

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Gosh this makes arguements between sonic fans seem more respectful than any arguements I've had on this forum so far, because someone refuses to listen to what I say and have a closed mindset.
If anything, you're the one with the closed mindset because you refuse to see the fact that Diddy at the moment just has more known options and i believe more better matchups than Yoshi does. He already stated that since he mains Kirby, he needs to know about Yoshi's moveset and whatnot so he can face him, and that's true. Just because you don't main a character, doesn't mean you don't know anything about them. If this bothers you so much, just bug people about it on the social thread instead of making an entirely new thread just to argue about it.

Actually, just post in the Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions thread, since you seem to believe no one will listen to you

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
If anything, you're the one with the closed mindset because you refuse to see the fact that Diddy at the moment just has more known options and i believe more better matchups than Yoshi does. He already stated that since he mains Kirby, he needs to know about Yoshi's moveset and whatnot so he can face him, and that's true. Just because you don't main a character, doesn't mean you don't know anything about them. If this bothers you so much, just bug people about it on the social thread instead of making an entirely new thread just to argue about it.
Ok so I'm the bad guy here for making a thread on why I don't think diddy is the best character and I get a bunch of disrespectful arguements and a guy says "all of my points are wrong" yeah don't consider what I say just say I have a closed mindset because I don't have the popular opinion and no one will just say "I see your point" or "here is MY opinion on ____" no. I get a bunch of MY OPINION IS FACT BULLCRAP on this forum. I litterally said ITS OK IF YOU DON'T THINK YOSHI IS BETTER THAN DIDDY and I get a response of YOUR POINTS ARE WRONG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom