• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you use Sheik?

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
1. Ninjas
2. She's Zelda's super hero persona.
3. This song is my lab theme. Fits perfectly!

DekuFlame

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheGreySpider
I've only just starting picking her up, but it's been quite a road getting to this point. In the past (pre-competitive smash days) I basically just played LoZ characters all the time since OoT was one of the first games I ever played, but always got crap from my cousins for playing bad characters ( even though I won -_- ). So naturally I always shied away from using high or top tier characters because of the implications of accepting what they said as true even though I didn't really understand what a high/top tier was.

After I started getting into competitive play I struggled hard trying to find a main, cycling through about 30 different characters. I always hated the idea of "maining" a large group of chars, so i could never settle. When Corrin came out I decided to pick him up but I felt something was missing. My goal being to be the best in the world, I figured I'd need to figure out how to play either ZSS or Sheik at some point. I tried ZSS (since last time I tried to play Sheik it wasn't pretty) but I found her neutral too wonky. I then decided to give Sheik another try and this time it felt different. Different than all the characters really. It doesn't feel just like me playing and controlling a character in the game anymore, but instead it's like Sheik and I are working as a team. I can't quite explain it, but Sheik is starting to feel more and more like a potential main rather than a secondary. And surprisingly enough, I don't mind at all. lol xD

TL;DR - Sheik is special, it just feels right.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
I've been maining her since October 10th, 2014. When the game first came out, I was hyped beyond belief to play as Mega Man. I had played the demo to death, and I thought that no one could beat me. I got on For Glory first thing, and started playing. I repeatdy got myself destroyed. So, I turned to finding a new main. After a few days, I came to the conclusion that Sheik would be my main. She was always the character I saw in Brawl as the definitive character for combo game, and I just had not optimized her myself due to lack of effort (I was a scrub for so long...). Anyway, I wanted to see if I could do better here, and she just stuck with me.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Sheik is very fast and a great neutral game. She also has some really good combos too and she is the best character in the game right now.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
My community has recently taken to finding whatever the most "free" win is, whether it is DK's Ding Dong combo, Cloud's everything, or Bayo's BnB. I feel that our community deserves a Sheik that works hard to be the best player in the state with all of the "Pay 2 win" complaints I see. So since our only other sheiks are a secondary, and one that just can't seem to break out of going 2-2 every tournament, I recently decided I will be that Sheik.

I'm the Sheik our community needs, lmao

EDIT: Decided that ZSS fits me better, as I actually have a spot in my heart for the Metroid series and I enjoy her mobility more than Sheiks....But ya'll are awesome, don't let anybody character shame you, Sheik is far from free!!

Last edited:

Ꮤhisker

Smash Rookie
I grew up playing OoT and loved the character. I always wondered why she wasn't in more Zelda games, and when melee came out, she was totally my favorite character to play. I didn't play melee or brawl competitively (I was so young, I didn't even know the games were played this way lol), but LoZ is my favorite gaming franchise and Sheik and Link have always been my choices in smash.

Once I got into the competitive scene, I picked up Sheik as soon as I got ahold of the 3ds version and she's been my main ever since. I was soooooooo excited that they made separated her from Zelda, and I love everything about the character.

One thing I really appreciate about her is that you have to work harder than other characters to rack up your damage. It makes the kill so much more satisfying when you have to do about 8 million inputs just to get your opponent to like 75% and characters like ganon and Ike can do that in a few moves. Regardless of what the haters say, I feel like a win with Sheik is a win that is earned. It takes a good player to control a good character.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I had never used Sheik in any game before this one, but when I tried her out in Smash 4, she felt so free, light, and able to do anything she wanted. It really highlighted what I loved about smash. So I started training her, and got decent xD

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
I picked her up to cover Sonic mu's I have trouble with AND because of the options she has. She has so many options in battle it isn't even funny.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted to pick her up, but whenever I did against my friends, they'd get mad. Now
that she's been nerfed, I can finally main her in peace! :)

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
She is alot of fun to play. Her combo and neutral games are fantastic. She isn't slow. I just love her style.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
She feels like Melee Marth with a better recovery and projectile

She has a lot of options in every situation so she feels pretty deep

HorrorAvengers

Smash Rookie
Needle tech. Needle cancelled into bf/grenade (the latter cancelled into edge grabs) is so cool and rewarding, and lagless needle landing is so similar to melee l-cancels. She has a lot of really sweet tech options that I love exploiting

Derpnaster

Smash Journeyman
I literally just started playing Shiek seriously as of yesterday, however for me it was a massive transition into even being OK with playing her.

I got my start in Project M, and in that broken dead hack The one character I hated most of all, for no other reason than there being literally no way to counter it with either skill or jank, was Shiek. She was at the time a character I just saw as fun breaking, at the worst of it I would just quit playing at times when a Sheik was ever even brought up because it wasn't fun to deal with.

That hatred continued into Smash 4, up intil 1.1.5 was justified, Shiek was the best, she had pretty much no weak areas when played right and wasn't all that hard to pick up and play. But unlike PM where she was pretty much easy bake win Shiek now had very little cheese to her, every time you lost a stock to one it wasn't just because she was a better character but the player was also better than you were and earned that stock. At the very least she was less easy back than Diddy's uthrow death madness, This was the first time I started respecting Shiek as a character who took skill, it also put shiek players on the level of Fox/Falco players in PM to me, I could respect their skill, but I still didn't have total respect for their character.

Fast forward to 1.1.5 and shiek loses her main kill setups, which was big news to me because I had spent that last year as a Link player figuring out ways to beat or just avoid those setups. Getting somewhat curious I pulled Shiek out in training mode and I tested out a few of the easier ones, and I noticed how Shiek moved only slightly less effectively than my secondary Greninja, but also had much safter moves.

A few days later I was playing randomly with about five other people and I pretty much just said screw it and pulled out Shiek for kicks, I went and started taking five player mataches which I almost never do by margines of 5ive or more kills so I decided to just live with it and for the litteral first time ever I am playing a character considered "Highh Tier" by any stretch of the imagination.

So yeah, I started to play Shiek because she got nerfed and I just got bored of having only two characters.

adz

Smash Cadet
sheikk just feels right. there's just something in the movement and speed that just feels the best out of every character in the game to me. it's like melee fox in a way. plus sheik is 2good, so that helps.

Topskunium

Smash Rookie
I started playing smash bros on the 3ds much later than most here, at the time of last Christmas. I was a big fan of fast characters, and i played lots of zelda games (Although more fire emblem at that point in time, Good luck im not a Lucina main Although it was close).

So I got the game, and started playing it. Immediately i went into customs, not for the rubbish stuff, but for the sandbag thing and customs descriptions.

So i was playing, and hit it off with 3 characters: Sheik, Meta Knight, and Marth. I started to play just those characters against my buddy who finally Got me to buy smash, and he said I sucked with Meta Knight, and that I should play Sheik, even though we both knew she was top tier.

So i started to play lots of Sheik, doing classic mode and training mode, and to this day, i've stuck with Sheik because after my first touches with smash, she was the one I played. When i think of how smash feels like to play, I think of Sheik's movement. So crisp. Love it. I've developed a huge amount of character loyalty since then, and I have not let a single person play sheik against me in friendlies, because i've gotten a temper tantrum telling them that she's mine lol

My friend was a ZSS player, and I was a Sheik player, and i was slightly ontop of him always, while nobody else came close to me or him in my near area. We always thought it was kinda symbolic of the bigger picture. Maybe that had something to do with it. (Nairo vs. ZeRo grassroots edition)

JWai

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKMNTrainerJBA
3DS FC
2079-9197-0430
Even though I main Corrin, I use top tiers a lot because I like how many options they have.

I like using Sheik a lot because of her combo game. Like ZSS (who I also love playing) her combos are pretty freeform thanks to her excellent frame data. I can chain fairs into Bouncing Fish, nairs, fastfall them into ftilts, use dtilts into BF or fairs or utilts or ftilts, the point is I love fast characters with long combos that they can start with multiple options (one reason why I don't like Fox and to this day am terrible at playing).

Unfortunately for Sheik, I just like Corrin's moveset as a whole more, which is why I main her.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
I actually played Captain Falcon for the longest time and after a bit I decided that he was not for me, so I spent a couple months trying to find a new character (Avoiding top tiers because I used to think that It was lame) Went through a couple characters, Zelda (Still my Low Tier character since I played her in Brawl), Wii Fit, Greninja, etc. I kid you not one day someone showed me a cute picture of Sheik, and the day after I picked her up. Found out I really liked her. Shes always been one of my favorite Nintendo characters, but I guess I just never thought about playing her since she was top tier.

GreatRegular

Smash Rookie
Sheik was one of my mains in Brawl (Alongside Kirby and Ice Climbers) and in Smash 4 they literally took her move set and made nearly everything better. She has crazy strings, and supports my other characters (Pac-Man and Duck Hunt) really well.

You can also be incredibly stylish with Sheik. I once did a bouncing fish off of the Ducks on duck hunt into the opponent to get a kill. Probably the only top tier that I've properly clicked with. As for her having trouble killing, so do both of my other characters, so I don't mind.

HartG21

Smash Cadet
I play sheik because to me she feels like a melee character in a brawl world. Sounds weird I know, but I love the amount of movement and pressure options she presents.

xaviersykora

Smash Rookie
NNID
xaviersykora
I play Sheik for a plethora of reasons. However, due to my philosophy as a player, there is one main reason why I play sheik. In order to progress as a player, I like to eliminate all factors that could hold back my play that aren't just me being a bad player. Due to this I use bidou (the arguably most optimal control scheme in the game), and play the character with the most options in the game, Sheik.

I am also a gigantic fan of her movement options, as they just make me feel like I can be anywhere on the stage whenever I want. Plus, the ability to pressure someone's shield as much as I please is a very nice thing to be able to do.

she's purrty too

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I just started picking up Sheik after a couple months away from the game.

I slowed down on Smash 4 since my local's time changed to a time that interfered with my work. However, I started actively practicing Melee Sheik so I figured I'd pick her up in Smash 4 as well. I mean there are tons of differences but Sheik kind of just feels right to me now.

I always avoided playing her because I've always hated the idea of just playing someone because they are the best. I've always played mid-tiers and washed up high-tiers in past games.

Honestly, I have always felt like playing the best character in the game simply because they are the best is only something you should do if you expect to get something out of it. If money is on the line, go for it.

But hey after the nerfs, I have no issues playing her even if she is theoretically advantaged in most her match ups still.

Plus, I have a serious Cloud problem. I was mostly playing Marth since release and that's...just not a fun match up. You both edge guard each other super easily, but because Marth is forced to approach because of limit charge Marth is pretty much always at the disadvantage in that match up.

Sheik has plenty of tools to deal with Cloud and honestly I like that Needles should allow me to play patiently against a character like that.

Just watching Mr R versus Cloud is a thing of beauty.

It also doesn't hurt that False is my favorite player. Easily the most underrated player in Smash 4. He's able to compete with and beat the top 10 players at any given time. Plus, his play has a lot of flow and style to it. Might have to do the Sheik, Marth, Ryu thing lol

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
Sheik is a fantastic character who either wins or goes even with every character in this game. A ton of movement options, crazy tech, and one of if not the best neutrals in the game. She excels in every facet of the game and the only problem she has is securing the kill. I use Sheik because she covers a lot of the matchups I have problems with as a Ness main. She is a also a lot of fun to play and watch especially with players like Void and Mr. R.

Top Bottom