• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you Think many Dislike Dark Pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaVe^

Smash Rookie
After doing a bit of battling and fights with Dark Pit, many people online, and on YouTube videos discuss that Dark Pit is a waste of space on the roster. My question on this thread is... Why? I know how Dark Pit is basically a Clone of Pit. This even applies with their movesets too. Then here it lies, why is Dark Pit in the newest installment of the game? What do you think? Please leave a reply below this new thread so I can hear what you have to say.

Eliwood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Profchaos243
3DS FC
2191-7880-6989
Hello cx
I definitely agree with you, I think Dark Pit is really a cool character, one of my best ones too
The reason why they hate him is.....yeh that, they think he is a waste of space, and a clone of Pit....what they probably don't know is that they DO have some differences, like Pit's side- b have more knockback, but less damage than Dark Pit's side-b, their arrows, etc.
it's just like Lucina with Marth, but hey....they deserve their own spot in the game c:

Beanie!

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItMeBeanie
3DS FC
0232-8522-8662
Dark Pit is just... bland. I dislike the "it's like this character... but more EVIL" trope in media in general so that accounts to it. They didn't even make his moveset unique so that also adds to it.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
After doing a bit of battling and fights with Dark Pit, many people online, and on YouTube videos discuss that Dark Pit is a waste of space on the roster. My question on this thread is... Why? I know how Dark Pit is basically a Clone of Pit. This even applies with their movesets too. Then here it lies, why is Dark Pit in the newest installment of the game? What do you think? Please leave a reply below this new thread so I can hear what you have to say.
I feel like dark pit is the most yes/no character of the game. People who enjoy pit enjoy having dark pit more. People who never liked Pit dislike dark pit even more. Although I'm fairly off about dark pit (I'm not a KI fan I just play Pit) don't really care he's just there

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
To those who haven't played Uprising they think Dark Pit is just a lazy recolor of Pit who cba'd to have an original moveset and has an objectively worse off-stage game due to his arrows.

To those who have played Uprising dislike Dark Pit because with the other weapon classes in the game he could've had much more potential for a creative moveset (using the Claws, Clubs, Palms, or Cannons come to mind) instead of his Silver Bow that he loved oh so much.

I personally liked him enough to be my 2nd favorite character in Uprising (behind Hades and ahead of Pit) and use him over the original angel in Smash because I like his recolors and personality better.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I feel like dark pit is the most yes/no character of the game. People who enjoy pit enjoy having dark pit more. People who never liked Pit dislike dark pit even more. Although I'm fairly off about dark pit (I'm not a KI fan I just play Pit) don't really care he's just there
Funny, I dislike Pit (mostly due to his annoying personality, which is as annoying as Sonic's is in some cases), but like Dark Pit more (not as annoying, plus he has better victory quotes, and I prefer darker looking characters).

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Dark Pit was originally going to be an alternate costume for Pit, but when they realised that Pit's final smash made no sense for Dark Pit due to the fact that Dark Pit never used the three sacred treasures in 'Kid Icarus: Uprising' they split the characters and implemented the Silver Bow and Electroshock Arm and removed the tipper on his aerials to make him feel like a different character from Pit, while giving him the Dark Pit Staff (a Light Arrow clone to indicate the main use of staffs in the game: long-range sniping) in the place of the Three Sacred Treasures.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Dark Pit was originally going to be an alternate costume for Pit, but when they realised that Pit's final smash made no sense for Dark Pit due to the fact that Dark Pit never used the three sacred treasures in 'Kid Icarus: Uprising' they split the characters and implemented the Silver Bow and Electroshock Arm and removed the tipper on his aerials to make him feel like a different character from Pit, while giving him the Dark Pit Staff (a Light Arrow clone to indicate the main use of staffs in the game: long-range sniping) in the place of the Three Sacred Treasures.
I mean sure that's the reason, I don't feel like its a good one. Both Pit and Dark Pit do not have tipper aerials (exception to Bair) Secondly their air game is 100% carbon copy of each other

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I mean sure that's the reason, I don't feel like its a good one. Both Pit and Dark Pit do not have tipper aerials (exception to Bair) Secondly their air game is 100% carbon copy of each other
The aerial thing was me being mislead, my bad. However, pit does maintain better aerial maneuverability courtesy of his very slightly higher jumps, giving him the edge in the air. Additionally, his side special KOs anywhere on the stage, koing at a lower percent across 6/8 approx. of the stage, his F-Tilt has greater knockback and the additional control he has over his arrows allows him a much easier time camping, making him a more versatile character that is definitely better than his dark adversary, albeit only just. It's a Pity tho (pun intended), cause Dark Pit is easily a more badass character who is just more appealing both aesthetically and personality-wise.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, you already answered the question as to why people don't like Dark Pit. It's because they claim he was a "waste of a space on the roster" and that "he's a clone character" and some other bull****. Can't think of anything else why they don't like him besides him as a character. I personally enjoy having Dark Pit around even though I don't use him

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. He's a supporting character in a minor series who had made only a single appearance
2. The series already had an adequate amount of representation
3. The series already received a newcomer
4. The series already received a disproportionate amount of content compared to others
5. He's literally a glorified palette swap
6. Few wanted him
7. Other potential alt-swap characters really did have more in their favour, and less against them
8. Smells of developer bias.
9. The difference between the Pits are minuscule
10. People just don't like clones

Personally I think he exemplifies superfluousness.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Well, you already answered the question as to why people don't like Dark Pit. It's because they claim he was a "waste of a space on the roster" and that "he's a clone character" and some other bull****. Can't think of anything else why they don't like him besides him as a character. I personally enjoy having Dark Pit around even though I don't use him
@ Tino Tino You pretty much said exactly what I was going to say.

I play Pit, not Dark Pit. However this is only because one of my best friends plays Dark Pit.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
1. He's a supporting character in a minor series who had made only a single appearance
Actually, he is a v. important character to the plot of the game, not only for his role as Pit's rival throughout the first half of the game, but also because, without Dark Pit, there are a number of events throughout the story which could not have happened, for example:
  • The Dark Pit stage would have not existed and, as such, a key phase in the story (the Dark Pit phase (as I like to call it), consisting of two chapters: chapter five (Pandora's Labyrinth) and chapter six (Dark Pit) would have just been a single chapter (Pandora's Labyrinth)
    • Coincidentally, these two levels are the most fun in the game imo, with Dark Pit being the only boss fight to feel somewhat similar to another player (albeit, only a little) and many of the non-optional miniboss fights throughout the course of the game (two of which are located within the Dark Pit stage, chosen randomly out of four possibilities) would not have existed.
  • The underworld gatekeeper would not have been defeated without his help.
  • Another phase in the story that I like to call 'the chaos phase' (chapters 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22) would not have been beatable and, as a result, Palutena would have died.
    • The space pocket in which the Chaos Kin attempts to hide would not have been accessible if Dark Pit hadn't used the Lightning Chariot to rip open the space pocket
    • The Chaos Kin could not have been defeated without his help during the boss fight (from a plot point of view)
    • Pit would not have burned his wings out when rescuing him
    • Palutena and Viridi would have never discovered Hades' true plan and how he kept generating more troops
    • Pit would have not have ever arrived at the Rewind Spring after having his wings burned out
    • Pandora would have never been resurrected in her flesh-and-blood state and, as such, could not have been re-defeated
  • Pit would have never escaped from inside Hades because Dark Pit is the one who used the Lightning Chariot to rip open Hades' chest.
In addition, Light vs. Dark would not have existed as a multiplayer mode due to Dark Pit being the commander of the Dark team and the player that the Light team need to defeat in order to win.

He is a pretty influential character in the game if you ask me, and I enjoy his presence in SSB4 in a form that isn't an alternate costume for Pit.

Last edited:

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
4. The series already received a disproportionate amount of content compared to others
6. Few wanted him
7. Other potential alt-swap characters really did have more in their favour, and less against them

Agreed 100%

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Actually, he is a v. important character to the plot of the game, not only for his role as Pit's rival throughout the first half of the game, but also because, without Dark Pit, there are a number of events throughout the story which could not have happened, for example:
  • The Dark Pit stage would have not existed and, as such, a key phase in the story (the Dark Pit phase (as I like to call it), consisting of two chapters: chapter five (Pandora's Labyrinth) and chapter six (Dark Pit) would have just been a single chapter (Pandora's Labyrinth)
    • Coincidentally, these two levels are the most fun in the game imo, with Dark Pit being the only boss fight to feel somewhat similar to another player (albeit, only a little) and many of the non-optional miniboss fights throughout the course of the game (two of which are located within the Dark Pit stage, chosen randomly out of four possibilities) would not have existed.
  • The underworld gatekeeper would not have been defeated without his help.
  • Another phase in the story that I like to call 'the chaos phase' (chapters 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22) would not have been beatable and, as a result, Palutena would have died.
    • The space pocket in which the Chaos Kin attempts to hide would not have been accessible if Dark Pit hadn't used the Lightning Chariot to rip open the space pocket
    • The Chaos Kin could not have been defeated without his help during the boss fight (from a plot point of view)
    • Pit would not have burned his wings out when rescuing him
    • Palutena and Viridi would have never discovered Hades' true plan and how he kept generating more troops
    • Pit would have not have ever arrived at the Rewind Spring after having his wings burned out
    • Pandora would have never been resurrected in her flesh-and-blood state and, as such, could not have been re-defeated
  • Pit would have never escaped from inside Hades because Dark Pit is the one who used the Lightning Chariot to rip open Hades' chest.
In addition, Light vs. Dark would not have existed as a multiplayer mode due to Dark Pit being the commander of the Dark team and the player that the Light team need to defeat in order to win.

He is a pretty influential character in the game if you ask me, and I enjoy his presence in SSB4 in a form that isn't an alternate costume for Pit.
If he's not the primary character, which he's not, and if he's not a minor character, which he's not, then he's a supporting character.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
6. Few wanted him

Adding onto this...

11. He was a minor antagonist in his own debut
12. He took up spaces on the roster that could have easily been taken by other characters that made more sense
13. He has nothing that makes him memorable outside of "evil duplicate of main hero"
14. Other characters could have been substituted in his place and nobody would have cared
15. He's not significant to Nintendo, nor is he even significant to Uprising; Magnus is more significant to Uprising than Dark Pit was
16. He's literally a walking archetype (evil version of hero has opposite personality to hero)
17. He doesn't add anything to the pre-existing Pit moveset like Doctor Mario does to Mario's moveset, or like Lucina does to Marth's moveset; he's literally a duplicate of Pit with minor tweaks to his moves, a swapped pallate, new victory poses and new voice and announcer clips.
18. He's literally what would happen if Dark Samus was a playable character; a clone with little gameplay-wise changed besides some move properties and the Final Smash.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
When it comes to differences in movesets, that could have easily been thrown in for custom moves and one recolor palette. It's not even just him I have a problem with. Lucina and Dr. Mario could have been palettes as well. When you think about it, characters like Lucas and Wolf are vastly different in comparison to Pit and Dark Pit. We could have been given another F-Zero rep. And Dr. Mario? Why two Mario's but not a Waluigi? Doesn't matter if he hasn't appeared in his own game. R.O.B. was put in one along with the Mario Kart game(s) and appearance in F-Zero GX and given a slot for some reason. And as mentioned earlier, I think there was some bias with the Dark Pit add from Sakurai since he was pretty much the guy who revived the series. Don't worry, it's not just Dark Pit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
When it comes to differences in movesets, that could have easily been thrown in for custom moves and one recolor palette. It's not even just him I have a problem with. Lucina and Dr. Mario could have been palettes as well. When you think about it, characters like Lucas and Wolf are vastly different in comparison to Pit and Dark Pit. We could have been given another F-Zero rep. And Dr. Mario? Why two Mario's but not a Waluigi? Doesn't matter if he hasn't appeared in his own game. R.O.B. was put in one along with the Mario Kart game(s) and appearance in F-Zero GX and given a slot for some reason. And as mentioned earlier, I think there was some bias with the Dark Pit add from Sakurai since he was pretty much the guy who revived the series. Don't worry, it's not just Dark Pit.
In fact, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina started as simple alt costumes for Mario, Pit and Marth. Sakurai stated just so in several interviews.

During the balancing and testing, the developers decided to do a few extra tweaks for Mario, Pit and Marth and create variations of those out of the alts they already had. This, of course, was among several other tweaks done to the entire character roster, as balancing takes time and a lot of fine-tuning.

Thus, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were made from already existent aesthetic changes, they just split-off during balancing as they tweaked their respective counterparts.

The "unique" moves those three clones have in total are based on other characters:
- Dr. Mario's down special and down aerial are based on Luigi's
- Dark Pit's Final Smash is based on Zelda's Light Arrow

All of their moves are copied from existing moves. The only truly unique things about them are taunts and victory animations.

Considering the little work that was put into them, no other character or any sort of significant content would have been instead of them, considering how little those changes are and how much copy-and-pasting of code was likely involved in their inception. It was those three clones or it was nothing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
In fact, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina started as simple alt costumes for Mario, Pit and Marth. Sakurai stated just so in several interviews.

During the balancing and testing, the developers decided to do a few extra tweaks for Mario, Pit and Marth and create variations of those out of the alts they already had. This, of course, was among several other tweaks done to the entire character roster, as balancing takes time and a lot of fine-tuning.

Thus, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were made from already existent aesthetic changes, they just split-off during balancing as they tweaked their respective counterparts.

The "unique" moves those three clones have in total are based on other characters:
- Dr. Mario's down special and down aerial are based on Luigi's
- Dark Pit's Final Smash is based on Zelda's Light Arrow

All of their moves are copied from existing moves. The only truly unique things about them are taunts and victory animations.

Considering the little work that was put into them, no other character or any sort of significant content would have been instead of them, considering how little those changes are and how much copy-and-pasting of code was likely involved in their inception. It was those three clones or it was nothing.
Mentioning Final Smashes, taunts, and victory animations won't sway my thoughts on clones. I know Dr. Mario is more like Luigi, but I still think could have been a palette. Compared to the three clones, I'm not too upset about Dr. Mario. I think if they kept Pit's movesets from Brawl and gave what Dark Pit has right now in this game, I would have been fine with the addition. Sure, they would have many of the same attacks, but there would be that more noticeable difference. I certainly can't change the game since it's what it is now, and I'm content with the roster as is. I just think they could have done things a bit differently is all.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Dr. Mario is, in my eyes, the only excusable clone, because Dr. Mario is essentially Melee Mario. Lucina is iffy, because she basically based her fighting style on Marth's, and even pretended to be Marth at one point; so being a clone of Marth is actually pretty accurate.

Dark Pit is just laziness, though. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Lucina is fine. She was one of the protagonists of Awakening, was highly popular, and FE getting four characters isn't that crazy. She makes sense as her own character, and as a clone of Marth.

Dark Pit being his own character above Alph though is just silliness. Alph was the protagonist, was more than just a glorified colour swap, and Pikmin getting two characters makes a whole lot more sense than KI getting three, let's be honest.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
To me he's literally the edgy version of Pit, lol. I don't have any problems with Pit though, but a lot of people think that Dark Pit has taken up a spot on the roster and could have been a recolor of Pit.

It's like having Dark Samus on the roster as well as Samus; she's better off as an optional palette choice. Or do something like what they did with Bowser Jr., Iggy, Morton, etc..

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dark Samus has more in her favour than Dark Pit... such as being a primary antagonist in the series (as well as presumably one of the only feasible ones in Sakurai's eyes), being a lot more popular, appearing in multiple games, and hailing from a series where getting three reps wouldn't be overkill in the least.

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Hes practically a alt. Costume for pit, I'm not saying I personally dislike the character, (i would use dark pit over pit anyday) I'm just saying his spot on the roster could have been filled with a better character

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
Hes practically a alt. Costume for pit, I'm not saying I personally dislike the character, (i would use dark pit over pit anyday) I'm just saying his spot on the roster could have been filled with a better character
A slot for Dark Pit was created, he did not steal a slot from another character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Mentioning Final Smashes, taunts, and victory animations won't sway my thoughts on clones. I know Dr. Mario is more like Luigi, but I still think could have been a palette. Compared to the three clones, I'm not too upset about Dr. Mario. I think if they kept Pit's movesets from Brawl and gave what Dark Pit has right now in this game, I would have been fine with the addition. Sure, they would have many of the same attacks, but there would be that more noticeable difference. I certainly can't change the game since it's what it is now, and I'm content with the roster as is. I just think they could have done things a bit differently is all.
They're last minute clones, added as little extra when the development team was already wrapping things up. They took nothing from the game's quality nor did bring anything new. They're just that: bonus content. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit were just alts not unlike the Koopalings, Alph or female/male variants of Robin and Wii Fit Trainer.

I think Lucina is fine. She was one of the protagonists of Awakening, was highly popular, and FE getting four characters isn't that crazy. She makes sense as her own character, and as a clone of Marth.

Dark Pit being his own character above Alph though is just silliness. Alph was the protagonist, was more than just a glorified colour swap, and Pikmin getting two characters makes a whole lot more sense than KI getting three, let's be honest.
I don't think the development team is nearly as concerned as this fanbase in regards to "reps" and characters per series.

They do what they can work with and into. Having Alph use Rock Pikmin, for example, would require more work and resources than Dark Pit that barely took any and was shoehorned as a clone at the very end of the game's development cycle, even after the other two clones, which is why he has barely any changes from Pit and the only thing that sets him apart from his counterpart is a Final Smash that is copy-pasted from Zelda's, right down to the move's proprieties (damage, knockback, ...).

It's all very beautiful talking about "series reps" and "series justice". Those mean jack squat when it regards limitations in budget and workload.

But really, this is beating a rotting carcass. People still are ignorant about game development, whereas I have researched on the subject and dabble in computer programming regularly. I'm not trying to sound arrogant here, but it's far easier for me to understand Sakurai's logic when I myself have experienced what he has, even though at a much smaller scale, but it's not like I can't extrapolate my experience to different realities.

The game is as it is now, there's the possibility of DLC with Mewtwo around. Those three clones have an insignificant impact in the game as a whole, both in content and its production. It's time people moved on from this. The solution is simple: don't like the clones, don't play them.

The "wasted slots" logic went down the gutter now that the development team can add more characters to the roster if they want to and, of course, has the resources to do that. What's done is done, you can't change the game, but you can look for the future.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A slot for Dark Pit was created, he did not steal a slot from another character.
Still could've been filled with a better alt.

I don't think the development team is nearly as concerned as this fanbase in regards to "reps" and characters per series.
Yeah probably not as concerned as the fanbase, but it obv still matters to them. There are exceptions that pop up but it's no coincidence by and large the biggest franchises have the most characters while the most minor don't even have spots on the roster.

They do what they can work with and into. Having Alph use Rock Pikmin, for example, would require more work and resources than Dark Pit that barely took any and was shoehorned as a clone at the very end of the game's development cycle, even after the other two clones, which is why he has barely any changes from Pit and the only thing that sets him apart from his counterpart is a Final Smash that is copy-pasted from Zelda's, right down to the move's proprieties (damage, knockback, ...).

It's all very beautiful talking about "series reps" and "series justice". Those mean jack squat when it regards limitations in budget and workload.
I wasn't saying Alph should've been any more different from Olimar than Dark Pit was from Pit. Sure he could be, but that indeed would take more time and resources. They probably could've expended some, but that's neither here nor there, and wasn't my point.

But really, this is beating a rotting carcass. People still are ignorant about game development, whereas I have researched on the subject and dabble in computer programming regularly. I'm not trying to sound arrogant here, but it's far easier for me to understand Sakurai's logic when I myself have experienced what he has, even though at a much smaller scale, but it's not like I can't extrapolate my experience to different realities.
It's not ignorance, you're assuming people are saying things they're not.

Well some people are saying things like Dark Pit could've been replaced by any old character, but as you quoted me, I assume you're talking to me.

The game is as it is now, there's the possibility of DLC with Mewtwo around. Those three clones have an insignificant impact in the game as a whole, both in content and its production. It's time people moved on from this. The solution is simple: don't like the clones, don't play them.

The "wasted slots" logic went down the gutter now that the development team can add more characters to the roster if they want to and, of course, has the resources to do that. What's done is done, you can't change the game, but you can look for the future.
It's not so black and white. Sure the game is out, sure we can't do anything about the roster, but people can raise grievances with the game while still enjoying it. People can state how they would've preferred it differed without it automatically being entirely vitriolic. People can raise aspects they aren't fond of while still being objective about them; no one is saying Dark Pit ruins the game, a lot of people just don't like him. What's wrong with reasonably expressing an opinion regarding the topic of the thread?

There's a middle-ground between being subservient to everything the game is and lambasting it for everything it isn't. It seems like you think anyone who will voice their dislike of Dark Pit has it cloud over and bleed into everything else in the game, when really, it's just them disliking Dark Pit. It's talking about negative aspects of a character... which there's nothing wrong with if no one is losing their head over it or anything, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah probably not as concerned as the fanbase, but it obv still matters to them. There are exceptions that pop up but it's no coincidence by and large the biggest franchises have the most characters while the most minor don't even have spots on the roster.
Such last minute clones are part of those exceptions, you see...

Well some people are saying things like Dark Pit could've been replaced by any old character, but as you quoted me, I assume you're talking to me.
I wasn't solely addressing your post, but also some general points addressed in posts above. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

It's not so black and white. Sure the game is out, sure we can't do anything about the roster, but people can raise grievances with the game while still enjoying it. People can state how they would've preferred it differed without it automatically being entirely vitriolic. People can raise aspects they aren't fond of while still being objective about them; no one is saying Dark Pit ruins the game, a lot of people just don't like him. What's wrong with reasonably expressing an opinion regarding the topic of the thread?

There's a middle-ground between being subservient to everything the game is and lambasting it for everything it isn't. It seems like you think anyone who will voice their dislike of Dark Pit has it cloud over and bleed into everything else in the game, when really, it's just them disliking Dark Pit. It's talking about negative aspects of a character... which there's nothing wrong with if no one is losing their head over it or anything, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
Fair enough. People aren't obligated to like Dark Pit, but I just feel that this subject has been done to death. That's all.

I like him as a character, you know me well. And don't care about that he's a clone, so yeah, I'm happy that he's in regardless.

There's no character I dislike in any of the Smash games. Game is far too much fun for that and I always end up playing as everyone just to try everyone out.

My expectation was him being a Pit alt, but the fact they gave him some individual fluff (pretty much the Final Smash, taunts and win poses) isn't something I can object at all.

I had a feeling that Lucina and Dark Pit would show up as alts for Marth and Pit. Both from successful 3DS games, both popular characters among their series' fans and both were easy to implement into the game given similar designs and whatnot. Seems the development had this same idea, though they had some extra time and resources to flesh them out as their own characters, even if as very blatant clones.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
6. Few wanted him

This, in a nutshell. Even Doc and Lucina are more excusable, because Doc represents a mini-series, revives Melee Mario for the anti-FLUDD vets, and reps puzzle games as a whole, while Lucina has MASS popularity, adds more female options and costumes to represent the popular girls of Awakening, and has a less alienating style for those who like Marth but don't like having to constantly be precise to use him properly.

Is there literally ANY reason to prefer Dark Pit over Pit? His aesthetic differences are miniscule, his gameplay differences are almost non-existent...he's just pointless. No mass popularity, no added representation for a large series, and hell, if you play with smash balls off, you really get nothing new besides a Side B that hits a different direction and an arrow that's way worse overall. Whoopedy-doo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like playing as Dark Pit... more so than playing as Pit. I just wish that they kept Pit's old moveset from Brawl so that way, Dark Pit would not be seen as a clone since he would have his own current moveset from SSB4. I miss the gliding from Brawl... that was one of the reasons I liked playing as Pit and Meta Knight... but since it's gone, they aren't as fun as they used to be, IMO, and since SSB4 is Dark Pit's Smash debut, I can accept him not having the ability to glide since it would have made him different from Brawl's Pit.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Adding onto this...

11. He was a minor antagonist in his own debut
12. He took up spaces on the roster that could have easily been taken by other characters that made more sense
13. He has nothing that makes him memorable outside of "evil duplicate of main hero"
14. Other characters could have been substituted in his place and nobody would have cared
15. He's not significant to Nintendo, nor is he even significant to Uprising; Magnus is more significant to Uprising than Dark Pit was
16. He's literally a walking archetype (evil version of hero has opposite personality to hero)
17. He doesn't add anything to the pre-existing Pit moveset like Doctor Mario does to Mario's moveset, or like Lucina does to Marth's moveset; he's literally a duplicate of Pit with minor tweaks to his moves, a swapped pallate, new victory poses and new voice and announcer clips.
18. He's literally what would happen if Dark Samus was a playable character; a clone with little gameplay-wise changed besides some move properties and the Final Smash.
Not to be rude, but I get the feeling you've never even played Uprising.

Nothing in this post is true.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
The differences between the two aren't really that big – if there was a Fox/Falco style difference between the two's movesets, people wouldn't dislike him as much imo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Dark Pit would have probably been received a little better if he was to Pit as Dr. Mario is to Mario, granted he isn't really treated any better but he'd probably had been a good way to keep Pit's Brawl's playstyle a little intact, although he doesn't really use the Mirror Shield though (Which the three sacred treasures where one of the main reasons he was separated from Pit in the first place).

Perhaps if they where to ever develop another Kid Icarus, they should probably give Dark Pit a small redesign too considering he also gets a lot of hate for being a "colour swap" and all, perhaps make him a bit more centric to the Forces of Nature as he apparently seemed to have joined them after the events of Uprising. Assuming they'd keep him around for the next Smash of course.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
  1. He's a blatant clone, worse than any of the Melee clones and is little better than a reskin.
  2. Blatant series favoritism while K. Rool and Ridley get left out in the cold
  3. He's an emo version of the annoying little chickenboy who does nothing but spam arrows and fly away.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
The biggest thing i feel people don't realize is that the effort that went into him, lucina, and dr.mario are virtually nonexistent. Of the three, i feel Dr.Mario is the best one and deserved an actual roster spot seeing as he actually appeared in melee and is basically melee marries moveset with dr.mario's traits from melee, just increased(he hits a bit harder than melee dr.mario and seems to have weaker mobility). Next would be dark pit, sorry lucina fans but Dark Pit is still more different to Pit than Lucina is to Marth. His attacks all do different damage outputs, different damage and actual has changes that affect his play style. The worst of the three is obviously lucina, but hear me out. I have yet to play FE:A but i understand its quality and lucina's popularity. However your own argument works against you here. Lucina takes marths name. For a clone this makes sense. Heres the issue, it seems to me that people think lucina is more different from math than dark pit is when this sadly isn't true. ALL of lucine's moves are carbon copies, the only difference is that her sword is more balanced for damage. Nothing else is changed. IMO, this is less excusable than dark pit seeing as he has less knickknack than pit, but his attacks do more damage. His arrows have to be used more carefully as they barely move and his electroshock arm is less of a kill move and more of a punish attack. also those lists of reasons against dark pit almost all apply to Lucina aswell, that is when they aren't wrong. Speaking as part of the actual Uprising fanbase, dark pit is not the worst case of a simple recolor. His personality isn't literally the opposite of pits, it is in some ways, but for the most part he's his own entity, if you disagree, then i direct you to his role in uprising. He's not an antagonist at any point, in fact his goal at the beginning is the same as pits, take down medusa, then declare himself as the true pit, seeing as he isn't bound by any loyalty to hide the traits of pits personality that he himself won't let out. Ive played all three and my opinion stands. I don't care that lucina was added, even if se's my least favorite clone of the entire smash series, because I'm aware that even if she wasn't addd, we wouldn't have gotten another character in her place.

1. He's a blatant clone, worse than any of the Melee clones and is little better than a reskin.
  2. Blatant series favoritism while K. Rool and Ridley get left out in the cold
  3. He's an emo version of the annoying little chickenboy who does nothing but spam arrows and fly away.
I get the impression you have a bias, Sakurai explained why ridley isn't a playable character, get over yourself, and k.rool is owned by rare not nintendo. I also get the impression you have not even played uprising either, as in no way is that accurate to dark pits actual personality.

Last edited:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I like Dark Pit more than Pit.
Although he is essentially the same character, I think he''s better than Pit. I believe the only difference between these two characters are their arrows and side-special (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do I think Dark Pit is a blatant clone? Yes.
Do I like him? Yep.
But do I think a character should have been put in his place? Definitely.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The biggest thing i feel people don't realize is that the effort that went into him, lucina, and dr.mario are virtually nonexistent. Of the three, i feel Dr.Mario is the best one and deserved an actual roster spot seeing as he actually appeared in melee and is basically melee marries moveset with dr.mario's traits from melee, just increased(he hits a bit harder than melee dr.mario and seems to have weaker mobility).
I can't argue with that, since Doc is my Melee main and all~

Next would be dark pit, sorry lucina fans but Dark Pit is still more different to Pit than Lucina is to Marth. His attacks all do different damage outputs, different damage and actual has changes that affect his play style. The worst of the three is obviously lucina, but hear me out. I have yet to play FE:A but i understand its quality and lucina's popularity. However your own argument works against you here. Lucina takes marths name. For a clone this makes sense. Heres the issue, it seems to me that people think lucina is more different from math than dark pit is when this sadly isn't true. ALL of lucine's moves are carbon copies, the only difference is that her sword is more balanced for damage. Nothing else is changed. IMO, this is less excusable than dark pit seeing as he has less knickknack than pit, but his attacks do more damage. His arrows have to be used more carefully as they barely move and his electroshock arm is less of a kill move and more of a punish attack. also those lists of reasons against dark pit almost all apply to Lucina aswell, that is when they aren't wrong.
Lucina disguises herself as Marth for the first part of the game, but once her mask is knocked off and her hair let down, she reveals her true identity and remains that way for the rest of the story. Her disguise is purely so her parents don't recognise her, but once the cat's out of the bag, she sticks to her own guns from then on.

Is the damage / knockback spiel true? I've heard conflicting evidence.

Speaking as part of the actual Uprising fanbase, dark pit is not the worst case of a simple recolor. His personality isn't literally the opposite of pits, it is in some ways, but for the most part he's his own entity, if you disagree, then i direct you to his role in uprising. He's not an antagonist at any point, in fact his goal at the beginning is the same as pits, take down medusa, then declare himself as the true pit, seeing as he isn't bound by any loyalty to hide the traits of pits personality that he himself won't let out. Ive played all three and my opinion stands. I don't care that lucina was added, even if se's my least favorite clone of the entire smash series, because I'm aware that even if she wasn't addd, we wouldn't have gotten another character in her place.
I agree with this, but the last part in particular is the big caveat here: love 'em or hate 'em, clones took nobody's spot.

I get the impression you have a bias, Sakurai explained why ridley isn't a playable character, get over yourself, and k.rool is owned by rare not nintendo. I also get the impression you have not even played uprising either, as in no way is that accurate to dark pits actual personality.
K. Rool is owned by Nintendo. All of the Donkey Kong characters are Nintendo characters.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Not super big on K. Rool and Ridley myself, but it definitely rubs their fans the wrong way when a worthless clone gets in over real characters. As far as personal bias, I confess to having a deep, abiding, and irrational hatred of Pit and all his reskins, to the point of refusing to try out Uprising solely because of Pit being the main character. I have hated Pit ever since first seeing him in Smash and have never stopped, and I definitely feel it's pathetic that such a worthless character gets a reboot and disproportionate representation in Smash when far better characters like Takamaru languish. I don't understand how anyone but a weeaboo fangirl could possibly stand either one. Sorry if I'm coming off as vitriolic, as I'm usually not like this, but that is how I honestly feel about Pit.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Not super big on K. Rool and Ridley myself, but it definitely rubs their fans the wrong way when a worthless clone gets in over real characters. As far as personal bias, I confess to having a deep, abiding, and irrational hatred of Pit and all his reskins, to the point of refusing to try out Uprising solely because of Pit being the main character. I have hated Pit ever since first seeing him in Smash and have never stopped, and I definitely feel it's pathetic that such a worthless character gets a reboot and disproportionate representation in Smash when far better characters like Takamaru languish. I don't understand how anyone but a weeaboo fangirl could possibly stand either one. Sorry if I'm coming off as vitriolic, as I'm usually not like this, but that is how I honestly feel about Pit.
Okay then.

For the sake of basic human decency and your status as a respectable individual, please calm down and don't be so unnecessarily nasty in future, m'kay~?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Okay then.

For the sake of basic human decency and your status as a respectable individual, please calm down and don't be so unnecessarily nasty in future, m'kay~?
I'm not normally nasty, I just felt I had to get my feelings about Pit off my chest. It's kind of a personal Berserk Button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom