• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Play Smash

Kromeste

Smash Rookie
Cuz es fun. But really, I play Smash over other fighting games for the mechanics and characters. I chose Smash as my fighting game of choice because it is essentially sumo wrestling with famous Nintendo characters (think about it: all you have to do is push them out of the ring). I also enjoy the friendly competitive community, by this I mean the REAL competitive community, not the pseudo-professionals who go on to YouTube comments sections and insult people for liking one game over the other. In summary, Smash is fun and unique, Nintendo characters hitting each other is awesome, and I've met a lot of my friends through it. :)

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
I play Smash for my family. My village was conquered by a horde of space animals when I was a young child, and we weren't ready. Their shines were so bright, their executions so perfect. I was terrified. That night I lost my father and my baby sister to those voracious demons. My mother pulled my arm running so fast out of this village it felt like I would soon be dragging along the dirt walkoffs out side of my village. I turned back one final time to see my place of birth, the only world I ever knew, burning and falling apart. Screams pierced the hot, ash-filled air, beneath which you could hear the occasional clink of a shine, or one of the bandits screaming "FIYAAAAAAAH" amongst the blaze. I felt so lost and scared. I swore I would avenge my people. That is why I play Smash.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
The min reason I play Smash is because I love seeing beloved Nintendo characters from varied universes all coming together into one game. From Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon to Fire Emblem, Mother, and Kid Icarus, it's all here.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
When crossovers are done well they're amazing, and Smash is *usually* done well. It's such a fun concept; take popular Nintendo characters new and old, have them beat each other up in various locations from Nintendo's vast history, all while listening to orchestrated music from their respective games.

Plus it's fun as hell.

_gold_

Smash Master
Cause it's stinkin' fun, and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth which you can't say for most games nowadays.

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I think the majority of people are gonna say it's fun, which is the first reason I play. Not only how the game plays is fun (It's easy to pick up, hard to master, and feels rewarding to do so), but some of the situations you get put in, and the hype come backs, kills and combos you can do.

Secondly, because it's a mash up of all the classic characters I grew up with playing games. Being born Aug 1991, why would I not want to see Sonic, Mario, Megaman and Pacman tear each other to shreds? In the 90's, I think that was most kids dream, a crossover with all your favourite videogame characters. The nostalgia rush is too great.

Lastly, what better to strengthen (and tear apart) friendships. Having a room go mental because you just pulled off an insane combo on your friend is fantastic. In highschool I spent hours playing Brawl and Melee with my friends, and it was time well spent.

Last edited:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I love fighting games in general and there is no fighting game that contains the character uniqueness and gameplay uniqueness that Smash gives me.

Plus, I get Rosa freaking lina. How sweet is that?

D

Deleted member

I play it because I find it fun and it's more fun when you play with others. I really wish I got into Smash sooner though and I really regret not playing the past 3 Smash games a whole lot.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Main reasons why I play Smash:

1. It can be either a great party game when you throw in 4 players or more with items on, and on big stages, or it can be a surprisingly complex fighting game with several moves you can perform, when played with no items, and on neutral stages like Battlefield and Final Destination.

2. It is unique compared to other fighters, and is very easy to pick up and play compared to other fighters.

3. It is pretty much the ultimate definition of crossover. Smash Bros is the only game where you can have recognizable faces like Mario, Link, and Pikachu, duke it out with obscure faces like Marth, Pit, and Shulk, along with third party guests like Sonic and Mega Man.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
For me it is not only fun, but also an extreme nostalgia-fest with numerous modes of play that make it stand out from other games (and not just fighters.) Where else can you get Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Galaga, and even PONG all in one game simultaneously?

The original Smash Bros. rescued us from the ridiculous numbers of 1990s rehashes and clones of Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat by changing the tired formula of just damaging your opponents and turned it into its own unique king-of-the-mountain game. Each sequel of Smash Bros. continues to add new modes of play and stands the test of time, unlike those other numerous forgotten games.

Plus I loved the 140 challenges in this version and enjoy taking it further by setting up my own goals by making up my own challenges, just like the good old days. It keeps the game fresh, while still having that old school feel of beating a game with extremely limited lives available and constantly trying to improve scores.

Very few games are as successful as the Smash Bros. series for satisfying casual, competitive, hardcore, old-school, and new-school gamers all at once. That is why I Smash.

Last edited:

IncomingGhost

Smash Cadet
Fun, fast, skill based, isn't only horizontal like most fighters, and has a wide variety of characters. Also the most clean combo system of any fighting game

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I love fighting game in general. It's fun to play with family & friends. Gathering characters from many franchises really makes it the most unique fighting game.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
The glory of the outplay is why any of us do anything competitive at all.

The feeling of outplaying someone in a game like this is so gratifying. 1v1 #1

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I play Smash cause it's fun, however, theres plenty of games that are fun for me but I don't play them as much as Smash cause I have a huge competitive drive. I've been playing since the first Smash, got Melee, got decent at that (I think I was like 9-10), then Brawl came out and near the end before Smash4 came out I started playing people from around where I live and I then realized I was actually pretty good (the best around here anyways). I also play it cause of the characters I love to play as; Pikachu, Mega Man, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and my favorite and main, Ness. This is also the ONLY fighting game I am good at lol.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I play fighting games in general so in general I'd say I like to virtually beat people up. Bonus points for beating people up in a flashy way. The smash games have a lot of "freedom" so that's a plus.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
- Bucket loads of fun.
- Excellent party game with friends.
- Smash Bros. is unique from most fighters. Someone mentioned how it's not only horizontal, and I agree with that.
- The thought of the vast majority of Nintendo's IPs coming together to duke it out has always been an epic concept to me, ever since the very first instalment, Super Smash Bros. 64.
- Possesses a unique array of characters that rarely overlap. Yeah, there are a few "clones", but even then, they often possess at least something that differentiates them from who they're similar to. What we see in Smash Bros. is nothing compared to the amount of overlapping seen in some fighters.

DarkSlayerKi

Smash Rookie
Real talk time.

When I was a kid, I was poor. My mom was a single mom, raising two kids, with my sister being special needs. She worked two 1/2 jobs (she sold pies on the weekends. That's like half I guess). I never, never had an N64. However, all my friends did. We played smash relentlessly, as it was one of the few "co-op" games they had for the N64 (outside Goldeneye and passing the controller for Star Fox). Plus, it had all these great nintendo characters from other games. What WASNT to like?

A couple of years go by and the Gamecube comes out with Melee on it and I wanted it, bad. I've changed hands to go live with my dad now, and he asks what console I want for christmas, so I tell him the Gamecube. He ends up getting me an xbox (which ended up being the better longterm pick for me). Cue the whomp whomp. I end up making friends with this kid in my high school who is relatively well off and he has a gamecube with melee. There were many nights were we played 99 stock endurance matches against CPUs, 1s and 9s. I went from being "I want to play Pikachu!" to "Who's this blue haired guy?" and "Falcon Punch? Yes please." Melee ended up being a bonding moment for several of my friends in high school as time passed. We never got "great", only passably "good". There was wavedashing sometimes, but no Ken combos, etc.

Fast forward a couple more years. Brawl comes out and I'm in college. I don't have a job and can't afford a Wii with my stipend, so I end up playing brawl with some kids on my campus. One thing leads to another and I end up quitting college and ignoring Brawl almost entirely (not to mention people spoke so ill of it compared to melee). I was working as a delivery driver for years (YEARS) until I finally got a break and got into the games industry. I worked at a AAA studio for two years, cutting my teeth and releasing two big games (one of which most of you have probably played). I ended up leaving there for better pay, and last year I got my first salary gig. One of the first things I did? Bought a Wii U, as I knew Smash was coming.

It was a lifelong promise I made to myself since I was a kid (I'm getting a bit sniffly writing this). I wanted to own Smash, the illusive game that had dodged me for years that I could never quite own, but was so important to me and the friendships I've made over the years. I'm still not good at all, I get my buns handed to me online (usually), but it doesn't matter. I've unlocked all characters, stages, and bout all possible trophies. I own all the amiibo that have been released thusfar. I love this game more than any other game I've really played, because to me, it's the culmination of my childhood, my teenage years, and my college experience. Smash is important to who I am and the drive I've had to better myself. It's nice to, FINALLY, be a part of the community.
EDIT: It should also be noted that this has become a bonding moment for several of my co-workers and my girlfriends family members as we all share a love of smash. I host amiibo tournaments now too which is helping grow our community. It's a pain to organize sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Anyways, that's why I play smash. :)

Last edited:

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647
Real talk time.

When I was a kid, I was poor. My mom was a single mom, raising two kids, with my sister being special needs. She worked two 1/2 jobs (she sold pies on the weekends. That's like half I guess). I never, never had an N64. However, all my friends did. We played smash relentlessly, as it was one of the few "co-op" games they had for the N64 (outside Goldeneye and passing the controller for Star Fox). Plus, it had all these great nintendo characters from other games. What WASNT to like?

A couple of years go buy and the Gamecube comes out with Melee on it and I wanted it, bad. I've changed hands to go live with my dad now, and he asks what console I want for christmas, so I tell him the Gamecube. He ends up getting me an xbox (which ended up being the better longterm pick for me). Cue the whomp whomp. I end up making friends with this kid in my high school who is relatively well off and he has a gamecube with melee. There were many nights were we played 99 stock endurance matches against CPUs, 1s and 9s. I went from being "I want to play Pikachu!" to "Who's this blue haired guy?" and "Falcon Punch? Yes please." Melee ended up being a bonding moment for several of my friends in high school as time passed. We never got "great", only passably "good". There was wavedashing sometimes, but no Ken combos, etc.

Fast forward a couple more years. Brawl comes out and I'm in college. I don't have a job and can't afford a Wii with my stipend, so I end up playing brawl with some kids on my campus. One thing leads to another and I end up quitting college and ignoring Brawl almost entirely (not to mention people spoke so ill of it compared to melee). I was working as a delivery driver for years (YEARS) until I finally got a break and got into the games industry. I worked at a AAA studio for two years, cutting my teeth and releasing two big games (one of which most of you have probably played). I ended up leaving there for better pay, and last year I got my first salary gig. One of the first things I did? Bought a Wii U, as I knew Smash was coming.

It was a lifelong promise I made to myself since I was a kid (I'm getting a bit sniffly writing this). I wanted to own Smash, the illusive game that had dodged me for years that I could never quite own, but was so important to me and the friendships I've made over the years. I'm still not good at all, I get my buns handed to me online (usually), but it doesn't matter. I've unlocked all characters, stages, and bout all possible trophies. I own all the amiibo that have been released thusfar. I love this game more than any other game I've really played, because to me, it's the culmination of my childhood, my teenage years, and my college experience. Smash is important to who I am and the drive I've had to better myself. It's nice to, FINALLY, be a part of the community.
EDIT: It should also be noted that this has become a bonding moment for several of my co-workers and my girlfriends family members as we all share a love of smash. I host amiibo tournaments now too which is helping grow our community. It's a pain to organize sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Anyways, that's why I play smash. :)

amazing man that really changed the way i see the smash community and I'm sorry to hear the bad stuff that happened but thanks for sharing bro

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
I play for the community. Not just the competitive community, just the entire smash fanbase. I've met my best friends simply by going to Smash tournaments, which I can never repay to the game. I play because I'm accepted here when I'm not really anywhere else.

SmashDoctor

Smash Rookie
I play it because of how unique and creative it is. In every game, Sakurai always comes up with an interesting idea for a mode, stage, character, etc. I also like to see characters that you wouldn't really expect to see playable in a fighting game.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
- Bucket loads of fun.
- Excellent party game with friends.
- Smash Bros. is unique from most fighters. Someone mentioned how it's not only horizontal, and I agree with that.
- The thought of the vast majority of Nintendo's IPs coming together to duke it out has always been an epic concept to me, ever since the very first instalment, Super Smash Bros. 64.
- Possesses a unique array of characters that rarely overlap. Yeah, there are a few "clones", but even then, they often possess at least something that differentiates them from who they're similar to. What we see in Smash Bros. is nothing compared to the amount of overlapping seen in some fighters.
I saw your Banjo Kazooie image...it reminds me that my favorite nintendo character (or now microsoft character) will never be with us. Can you imagine the awesome moveset! omg omg omg

Attachments

JimeVR46

Smash Rookie
Complex game, it takes a lot to get even semi-decent- and I find that admirable. It's also a blast.

More recently, I'm going through a pretty tough break-up, so im trying to keep my mind occupied.

womp. womp.

ha, first post- it seems.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I play Smash because I love fighting games and I love Nintendo, and Smash Bros. puts Nintendo in a fighting game

Marshtomper

Destroyer of W(orlds)eeklies
I play because of the game and the unique style of fighting game it is with its unique mechanics plus the nintendo fighters but that comes as a second to the community of amazing players and people around it, learning from each other and getting better with each meetup or tournament.

SSS

Smash Ace
I don't actually like Smash that much, I really just like Melee. I play Melee because it's perfect and amazing the deepest and hardest competitive game ever made, and I am an absurdly competitive person. Also cuz you can jump out of shine.

Flubz

Smash Rookie
I absolutely love the fact that it retains complex fighting game mechanics while still being an enjoyable party game.

I didn't really get into Smash until 3DS came out, and from them I've been playing almost every day. There's a fairly large Smash community at my school (and by large I mean like 20-30 people) and it gives me a chance to be more social, as well as more competitive.

One of the best parts about being so invested in Smash, is being able to body my friends at parties and whatnot. There's something immensely satisfying about being so much better than your friends at something that's largely considered to be a casual experience.

Supahsawnik99

Smash Rookie
NNID
SuperSawnik99
I play this game for playing with my friends, both casually and competitively, and all of the nostalgia Nintendo put in this game. I would have never know about Fire Emblem, or EarthBound, or even Kirby without these games! I fight to win!

Top Bottom