• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Play Smash

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Honestly, the first reason is to be respected. But I also play for the community and the love of smash itself.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
Well first off is the obvious reason. Its fun. The Smash games are really well made games with a lot of thought and time put into them. But I've always felt they were special to me. (Especially Smash 4) Its like a love letter to my child hood honestly. We have Mega Man (My favorite game character of all time) mixed with other characters like Pac Man, Sonic, Mario, etc. Games like Smash make me want to pursue game design ever further (I want to have a career in it :grin:). Plus I have made so many friends through the Smash community in general. I love the hype that happens because of these games. I just love the games in general.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
because seeing your favorite Disney characters fighting it out is the best thing ever. Simba vs. Mickey Mouse. The best epic battle ever.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I honestly don't know anymore. I haven't enjoyed it in months.

But Smash is all I know nowadays. I guess that's the reason.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was indoctrinated into a belief that playing Smash is a good way to spend time. Consequently, I have been a Smash player for most of my life.

When I critically reflect on this, it is inevitable that I ask what I should be doing otherwise. However, I cannot come up with something better. Smash is fun, and it also gives me the sense of original discovery I often search for (in games or otherwise).

Piedro

Smash Apprentice
Smash gives me the opportunity to play as my favorite Nintendo characters even if they are (semi)clones

HeadSchott

Smash Cadet
NNID
headschott
3DS FC
5370-0395-8945
Switch FC
4035-4288-6515
I play Smash Bros. because it's a series that continues to pack in more and more content time after time, and these games are HUGE. The replayability is massive, whether you're alone playing all the various modes and collecting trophies, or with friends or playing online. It's a multiplayer game that manages to be both casual fun and highly competitive (despite efforts against the competitiveness in Brawl). The trophy collecting in particular is something I get lost in; after accomplishing the insanely difficult challenges or spending wild amounts of coins, I spend a ton of time just reading about Nintendo's history (which then encourages further reading on the Internet). After playing games all throughout my childhood and early 20's, I've slowed down on my video game intake, but I still can't get enough of Smash Bros. With the buildup to Smash 4, I played all the versions (Project M too) to curb my thirst for a new Smash. Now that it's out, Smash 4 has become my favorite of the series and new all time favorite game, because of all the characters (personal childhood dream fulfilled having Sonic, Megaman, and Mario all on the same screen), modes, rewards, customization, and future content to look forward to (fingers crossed for a new Adventure mode similar to Melee, wasn't as impressed with Subspace in Brawl, but it's better than Smash Tour which is my only gripe with the entire game). LONG LIVE SMASH BROS. Here's hoping future installments blow our expectations out of the water, just as past games have.

Aeruon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aeruon
3DS FC
1891-1220-5724
'Cuz it's fun.
Seriously tough, SSB4 (haven't owned 64, Melee, Brawl nor Project M) has just what I want from a good game. The things that keeps me playing is the 100% completion (like more games :)) and the incredible, well, endless depth.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
What other game lets you have Yoshi poop Samus off a cliff?

But seriously for me it was because my dad thought it would be a game I would like and he got me Smash 64 and I loved how I could play as Pikachu, since Pokemon was a phenomenon at the time I got Smash 64.

Last edited:

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
Casually:
- For having a great time with friends
- Hilarious situations in FFA / Team battles
- Creating custom stages
- Using Yoshi and doing nothing but eating the opponent
- Kirbycide, Dededecide, Bowsercide, Ganoncide
- Being Villager

Competitively:
- Epic reads
- Coming up with cool combinations of attacks (Especially Rosalina and Duck Hunt Duo)
- Character discussion with others

Local multiplayer free for all with items will always be my favorite mode.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
As a kid (Playing Melee):
- It was a fun party game to play with friends.
- The single player could keep me playing for hours, especially classic and adventure mode.

Now:
- I love combos. I'm not really into other fighting games but I do love hack and slash, action titles like DMC and Bayonetta. The creative freedom to destroy your enemy through a quick succession of well placed moves really appeals to me. So when I found out about the competitive Smash scene and all the cool stuff you could pull off, I was hooked. It's also why Melee is my favourite, with 64 as a close second. Smash 4 has it's moments too but it's pretty clear why I barely touched Brawl.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
I play because it's fun... started with melee on the GCN at a friends house, playing with him and his bros. (i usually lost),,, then i got the game for myself because i loved it somuch and kept buying them since then...
plus ,since that friend who introduced it to me moved away, i can kick all my friends butts at it, lol
(beat 3 of my friends if an FFA (5 stock) in melee with 3 stocks left afterward as mewtwo... they called me/mewtwo cheap told me to switch characters and i still beat 'em (as pichu)... lol :mewtwomelee::pichumelee::awesome:)

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I remember my friend let me borrow his Melee, telling me I would love it. And when it came time to give it back I was depressed. Ended up making mom buy me Brawl. Which didn't feel the same, but was still just as fun. The reasons I play is for fun, nostalgia, and I don't consider myself competitive, but I love having intense battles with other players out there, learning and teaching myself different play styles, combos and other things.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Because it's the only game where I can put Pikachu against Mario and claim "It's canon.".

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I grew up playing Smash, and it's one of the biggest things keeping my brother and I in contact with each-other.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
I've played it for years... Is there any reason to stop now?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
  1. Game is fun
  2. Community is great
  3. I express myself through playing
I'm at my zen with Smash

Last edited:

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
It's a game I have a lot of fun with, single or multiplayer. Plus it's another game to play friends and such with.

Muro

Smash Lord
I love the core concept of the game. Platformer fighter where combos are not set in stone and you can die at any point.

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Got into it because I loved Zelda games.

Kept playing in school because Melee had a ridiculously fun Adventure mode (for 10 y.o. to 18 y.o. me) and Marth.

Still playing because I can kick all my friends' butts and laugh as I can Kirbycide them to death or beat the living crap out of them with any character while they cry evrytim. Also, Link is still in, so I have to own it.

Last edited:

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
Because I have no friends.
It was much easier to get into than more traditional fighters, and picking up new characters doesn't require as much of a commitment as it does with other games, and despite this there are still several mechanics to make it interesting. I still do rarely play Street Fighter and its like, but not as often as Smash.

Gold Zero

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrezDlog
3DS FC
4441-8406-8476
I do like fighting games, but aside from Smash, they are really hard for me to get into. I'll still play other fighters like Marvel vs. Capcom, but mostly to screw around with friends. I really wouldn't last in more traditional fighters against anyone who plays even remotely competitively.

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
I grew up with it. Ever since Smash on N64 I've been playing it with my siblings and friends, it created some great memories and is an awesome game to play with anyone.
Only now with Smash for Wii U did I start playing competitively. I am definitely not a competitive kind of person, but with this game it just seems worth it.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I play smash for many reasons
  • It is the game that single handedly introduced to Nintendo outside of Mario
  • Its the one fighting game that doesn't need inputs like this: :GCUR::GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCLT::GCRT::GCX::GCCR::GCA: to use fox's blaster
  • It's fun, competitve, has a great community, ITS JUST GOOD
That was really hard to condense and not just GUSH about this game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash Bros. has been a part of my lifestyle sine the very beginning and it's fun as hell.

Plus I enjoy beating the **** out of Peach, Bowser Jr., Palutena, Jigglypuff and Sanic.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
longtime exisiting pervasive addiction.

Also, it's one of the best party games ever.

PizzaGirl

Smash Rookie
NNID
ForeverSpooky
3DS FC
4339-3764-8577
For the most part, Nintendo games tend to be the only games that appeal to me. They are just so whimsical and simple, yet engaging and fun! Nintendo knows how to make a video game, as opposed to an interactive movie. But you know, to each their own. But because of my general fondness and trivial knowledge of most of the core Nintendo franchises, Smash Bros has always intrigued me! It's the tackiest crossover ever, but I'm sure the developers know this and push ahead without holding back-- which really works in the series' favor! But I'm also really bad at fighting games, or high stress/quick thinking competitive games, so I stayed away from the series until recently. I mean, I've owned the older versions, but never played them too much. But as I've grown bored of MMO's, I started looking for other types of games that have a good community surrounding it. A few of my facebook/twitter friends would talk about Smash 4, and the more I watched them play, the cooler the game seemed to me! It's like, half Fighter but also half Physics Game! So yeah, currently, for me at least, Smash Wii U has a LOT going for it!

SmashTimeGo

Smash Rookie
I play smash because of how nice it is to see crossovers. You see, crossovers is one thing I like in a game yeah I play Mario which has mostly no crossovers but eh its fun.Back to topic, I like crossovers because I see the two battle it out or join each other in an adventure. Which I like!

If no one has tried any smash game, I highly suggest them buying one.

Modkiq

Smash Rookie
NNID
Modkiq
You know, smash is probably my favorite games of all time. The game really has everything. I prefer to play the classic 1v1 omega stages with no items, however some times it's nice to just turn al items on and play in total chaos together with friends. If I ever get bored of something in the game, there's always something new to do. I can either pick up a new character to play with or I can change the rules of the game when I play with my friends.
I don't know, but the game is as good as perfect to me. I will never be good enough to to play witht he big guys but I still enjoy it. It's just so much fun! :seuss:

Top Bottom