• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Marth?

Preacher

Smash Cadet
When I first started playing smash I played Roy. He was from the only Fire Emblem game I played at the time. All my friends played Marth so I didn't want to cramp their style. Then brawl came out and they all dropped the character so I picked him up. About two years ago we started playing melee again and I decided to keep him as my main. After getting into competitive play I felt like he was a perfect blend of offense and defense, and had a movement game that feels smooth. I also like playing Marth dittos more than anything else.

So what stories do you all have for picking up marth? Or, if you don't have stories, what was your greatest moment playing marth?

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Sword.

When I was a kid, I bounced around mains and settled on Young Link. I was aware of the competitive scene but had no access to it.

Fast forward to around January 2008, Brawl's about to come out. I decide it's worth learning a good character so I have a better understanding of what makes characters good so I can be good at Brawl.

Yep. I learned Melee Marth so I could get good at Brawl.

He's been my main for 7 years now.

BaconofWar

Smash Rookie
Started as a Roy main when I was a kid, but when I came back to the game around last year and started playing again, Marth just felt so crispy and so cool. The mechanics of tippers and his movement felt cool, and he's always been fun to play with. So I just picked up sword guy.

NotMike

Smash Rookie
The feel of Marth is so good! When I got into Melee, I started testing out what character felt good, and it was either Shiek or Marth. I didn't stick with Shiek because it didn't feel as intuitive to me. Marth felt very... right for me? I don't know how to put it.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
His history primarily but in practicality he's been the character that has felt like I am achieving something on when I play him.

In the slower smash 4 I switched off Marth, but once I picked up melee, that obviously isn't an issue.

I saw someone describe Marth as easy to learn hard to master and that real appeals to me, I hate front loaded learning curves and prefer reward for experience.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
He's so easy and rewards for patience. A lot of his options are good and there's only like 5 attacks you need to really use. His matchups are generally good and his gameplay fits with my style.

It oddly worked out that I enjoy the fire emblem series and I really enjoyed the grease that Marth is covered in when playing. I cannot say the same for Brawl, Smash64, or Sm4sh.

Last edited:

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
I'm drawn to Marth mostly because of how cool his movement and spacing feels and looks. The "glitchiness" of spacies doesn't appeal to me and Sheik/Falcon feel clunky and too aggressive, but there's something really stylish about a well-played Marth that I love watching and really hope to capture in my own play.

Also, the tipper sounds in melee make landing tippered moves feel sooo satisfying.

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Because his movement feels super smooth, his sword sound effects make everything feel satisfying and he's also generally easy to pick up.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Marth can combo really easy his grab range is so superior there are so many mind games so many ways to attack if i ran up to a fox i could grab do a F smash down tilt F tilt jab and thats really what makes marth differen't from other characters because you can have your own style marth if you like F smash alot thats your style you like chain grabs you could do that too also Marth has a tipper and thats really handy and Marth has really good looking color pallets also he's the only one in the game who really feels like he supports the competitive scene and thats what most of the smash community likes :)

Marth's grab range ^

Last edited:

Soran

Smash Ace
My story: When I was a kid I loved Star Fox 64. My first favorite game, So I played Fox in Smash64. plus he had pew pew laser. Then I took the same route in Melee and discovered his pew pew laser was 2x as fun to use and you can rapid-fire. Playing the game enough I unlocked a new character. Martha? What the heck is this girl with a sword. Then I unlocked Roy. Muuuuch better. More manly (I was and am into Bishounen so that's manly enough) with FLAMES! Going through Event Mode for the 2nd or 3rd time around (I deleted my data a lot by accident) I was trying to Use Roy to defeat the Master and Crazy Hand. Could not be done. I also had trouble with Gigabowser. Going through it with Roy giving my ALL, I couldn't not achieve victoly. I decided what the hey, let's try marth since he is assumed better character. From there I just fell in love. Then I watched the Fire Emblem OVA and was like white pants? Sweet. So I just use Black because he has white pants. That's why I play Marth. He has White pants.

Toejam

Smash Rookie
Marth is probably the easiest of the top tier characters to pick up but he's still very rewarding to practice.

Besides, I love the punish and combo potential on him. The Ken combo is sick.

^Hobbes

Smash Rookie
Marth play suits my play: Calculating.
I learned the hard way that Marth is not an Action character, rather a Reactionary character.

To play Marth as his best, patience and planning before attacking is the way to go.
To force you rival to play on your terms with your rules of spacing. It makes it all the more satisfying when you win.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I originally started playing as Marth due to how I used to play Smash Bros. Back before I knew anything about the competitive scene, my main character was Mario and my main tactic was to get my opponent into the air and juggle them for as long as possible. Then when I discovered that Marth's moveset makes this even easier, he became my new main. Then of course I learned about the competitive scene and all the cool stuff Marth can pull off and it just encouraged me to continue playing as him. He's just a really cool character and his combos can be so stylish. It just sucks that in the PAL version, they nerfed his down air, making Ken combos a lot more difficult to pull off.

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
I started out as a Falco main with Marth as one of my secondaries but then I found myself getting better with Marth so I started using him more. I still play Falco quite a bit but Marth is definitely my guy. I like the way he moves through the air. It's very graceful. I also like that you can play a more mellow Marth and still win. With Falco I feel like you always have to be pushing it to the max.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I started out as a Falco main with Marth as one of my secondaries but then I found myself getting better with Marth so I started using him more. I still play Falco quite a bit but Marth is definitely my guy. I like the way he moves through the air. It's very graceful. I also like that you can play a more mellow Marth and still win. With Falco I feel like you always have to be pushing it to the max.
aren't all falco's moves punishes? I don't play him but i do play fox on 64

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
aren't all falco's moves punishes? I don't play him but i do play fox on 64
Well, I wouldn't say ALL his moves, but yeah, he does have quite a few punishers. Still, I feel like aggression is more necessary when playing Falco (or Fox for that matter) than with Marth. Of course, being aggressive is beneficial with any character, but it's nice to be able to chill a bit.

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
I started trying to get gud competatively in Smash in Brawl (first game I owned and tried to be good in 1v1 vs school friends) and Marth looked reeeeeeeally awesome in his alts and I love sword dudes (eventually settled on TL in Brawl). Then, I got into Melee in 2013 from Evo and watched a lot of M2K vids and his Marth was hype and I wanted to BE the hype....so yeah.

Also, chaingrabing spacies is the most fun thing in the world.

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
As a M.Bison main in Super Turbo and SFIV, Marth just feels the same to me in Melee, no fast fingers needed, godlike neutral game, simple but very effective movements, flawless offense if paired with good reactions and spacing, not so good at dealing with pressure. Simply put, i feel right at home here... Plus he's top tier.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
I was originally a Marth main. Basically everything of him stuck out to me as being awesome. His weapon is simple, a huge freaking sword he can swing in any direction at any given time. He's fast, but not as hard to control as fox. He's smooth, but you can play him janky too. Even his ATs are forgiving, and his WD is obvious. In my opinion, he's the ultimate beginner character: easy to learn. His combos are insanely gratifying, often ending in the dair.

lead_magnet

Smash Rookie
Early on I bounced form character to character a lot. I didn't find one that I liked the style of until I found one that I haven't really played yet, that character was Marth. After starting I found his play style perfect and have stuck with him since.

Reynith

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9310-5788
Well for me, I've always felt..... awkward whenever I played other characters. They never really felt "just right" when I controlled them with my GC Controller. Then I tried out Marth for the first time and..... well I sucked xD. But that was the character I was looking for.

It was love at first play. :D

Blackavar

Smash Cadet
Played Fox while a casual with my friends and pretty much won all of the 1v1's with dash attack, up smash and side smash, as well as full hop, firefox approaches and the occasional ultra hype raw shine spike. When I moved I played a friend who had started playing competitively after watching the smash doc, he took me to the cleaners with falco, four stocked every time and suggested I play Marth or Sheik until I could more accurately input commands. I chose Marth pretty much because he looked cooler and had more representation in the documentary, flashier kill setups and beautiful movement.

Now that I've played and practiced tech for a few months I find other characters who lack a long, fast and smooth initial dash to be very jarring to play, and I dislike the smash games which don't allow for dash dancing.

Last edited:

Quadobot

Smash Rookie
I used Marth and Roy when I was really little because I liked that they had swords. When I started playing again and learning about the competitive scene, I instinctively chose Marth... Top Marths always give me the most hype when watching tournaments

D

Deleted member

he just feels the best to play for me, and his nair looks sick when comboed

Top Bottom