• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you pick up SSB/SSBM/SSBB?

Why do you play SSB/SSBM/SSBB?

• Cause there's nothing else to do.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I've been a big fan since the first release.

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Everyone else I know plays it.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I find it on an site, and I got hooked to it and can't stop playing.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I got a lot of money, so I brought every game I saw.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My siblings forced me to play it.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I play it to torture jigglypuff.(not to be offensive to jigglypuff players)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Some random old guy give this to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cause it's my love.

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Here's another thread I posted due to boredom, why do you play the SSB franchise? Tell me all about your story. Oh yeah, and warning to people who vote for "it is my love" this isn't what you think it is.

Vale

Smash Ace
I started playing the N64 version back when I was ~4. My dad owned a card shop, and we had a console set up for people to play with. I played Melee basically every day with two people that lived across the street after it came out. Got brawl right when it came out, and have played it every now and then.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I started playing the N64 version back when I was ~4. My dad owned a card shop, and we had a console set up for people to play with. I played Melee basically every day with two people that lived across the street after it came out. Got brawl right when it came out, and have played it every now and then.
Which ones your favorite? My is brawl.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Been playing it forever.

Heck, my dad was the first one to teach me that certain characters were better then others in fighting games, he would always choose fox/pika and I would always be Jiggs/DK as I liked them. He certainly was much better at the game then I was.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I've been playing the franchise ever since I bought Smash 64 as a child. Ever since then, I've gotten hooked to every one of the games, and have practically played them every day at some point since around 1999.

Personally. I enjoy Melee out of the 3, but since I'm too lazy to go out and fight other people, I'm stuck to online Brawl.

Vale

Smash Ace
Which ones your favorite? My is brawl.
Overall, I do like Brawl the best, if for nothing else the character selection and subspace emissary. With nostalgia glasses, I do like Melee, as it is probably the one I've played the most, and is the only one where I've won (or even entered) a tournament. The original is fun to mess around in, though. I like how Pikachu's aerial slows the frame rate.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Been playing it forever.

Heck, my dad was the first one to teach me that certain characters were better then others in fighting games, he would always choose fox/pika and I would always be Jiggs/DK as I liked them. He certainly was much better at the game then I was.
Lol, I just hope I had parents like yours.

I've been playing the franchise ever since I bought Smash 64 as a child. Ever since then, I've gotten hooked to every one of the games, and have practically played them every day at some point since around 1999.

Personally. I enjoy Melee out of the 3, but since I'm too lazy to go out and fight other people, I'm stuck to online Brawl.
I'm a 90s kid, and i got introduced to smash really late, sigh, now I can't even get my hands on most of the classics.

D

Deleted member

I played Super Smash Bros games since original N64. I've been a big fan of the franchise ever since. I was interested in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (Sony Smash Bros), but I didn't like the gameplay (use supers to kill your opponents).

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I played Super Smash Bros games since original N64. I'll been a big fan of the franchise ever since. I was interested in Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (Sony Smash Bros), but I didn't like the gameplay (use supers to kill your opponents).
of course, super smash bros>playstation all star.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I saw a melee demo in the store. It was Yoshi fighting Pikachu, got a Gamecube soon afterwards.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
First time I played a smash game was in 2009 and that was ssb64 on an emulator. I have been playing ssb64 online ever since (If you wanna know how to play ssb64 online, check out the ssb64 section)

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
First time I played a smash game was in 2009 and that was ssb64 on an emulator. I have been playing ssb64 online ever since (If you wanna know how to play ssb64 online, check out the ssb64 section)
I never know you can play SSB64 online, does it work on wii shop?

Well also for Pokemon and Zelda but Melee was what I was most excited about.
Pokemon game? What Pokemon game is that good for the GC?

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Just a friendly reminder since I've seen you do it before (nobody really tends to care unless it is on a busy thread) but you're not allowed to double post. Multiple quotes and responses can be put into one post to avoid that.
Puff was here: :jigglypuff:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
my dad bought me 64 version. I had no idea about the franchise he would always pick my games for me when I was that little and he knew I loved the mario series so he got me 64. I learned how to play 64 on my own and mainly used mario and luigi. I just got instantly hooked. I just kept my love for smash.

I have this problem where as soon as a new version of a series come out (for most fighting games only) I instantly move on to the next best thing and forget about the old game unless one of my favorite characters is in the old one but not in the new one (for example B.B. Hood in MVC2 but not in MVC3). I did this with Melee to Brawl. I played Melee almost everyday before brawl's release waiting everyday for it to finally come out. I didn't know all the cool stuff u could do in Melee or Brawl till I went to my college (UNF), and to think I had a smashboards account before brawl got released but never bothered to look into the info about Melee and lost interest in it and thought(and still think) brawl was/is the better game.

I recently been picking up Melee again trying to learn all the neat ATs u can do in it and trying to get good with Peach, ICs, and Jigglypuff.

I'm mega hyped for E3 this year in June cause of the screenshots and info about the next smash Nintendo said they would show.

I'm 21 as of right now till June hits and I have no intention of quitting smash any time soon but I don't intend for it to be the focus of my life, nor do I take tournaments for smash to seriously. I just try to go out and have fun and be a happy little pot filler :3.

finalark

SNORLAX
Because I was eight when Melee came out and didn't know any other fighting games existed outside of Smash and Soulcalibur.

And more kids played Smash, so the choice was obvious for my eight year old self.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why did I pick Smash?
The thought of Mario, Link and Pikachu together in one game just overwhelmed me.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I've played Melee when I was very young (like 6 or 7 LOL) and then when I was 10, Brawl came out and I have to say, it is the main reason I still play my Wii. I play it all the time, and while I got into the Brawl scene late, I love the competitive scene and meeting new smashers over my level.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's another thread I posted due to boredom, why do you play the SSB franchise? Tell me all about your story.
I start paying SSBB because I've played almost every other wii game, and then I realize how great brawl is, then I got hooked on it, and start playing competitive brawl.
My cousins had the first and second, and we were hooked. I bought Brawl because of all the nostalgia that went with the games.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
I read all the threads and just realized that I didn't give my reason for playing smash bros. first of all,and most of all, I brought for the adventure mode, then it become boring, so I start to try all the different characters and went to BB, after some painful lesson, I began to own some people and that's when I realize I was hooked to this game. And that's why I play competitive brawl.

Jet300

Smash Ace
I've been playing smash bros since I was a child. When brawl came out, i bought it for my birthday and played it competitve since late 2009.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The first Smash game I played was Melee. My cousin bought it for my birthday, and I really enjoyed the game. a few years after I saw a poster for Brawl at a DVD and Video Game store, got really excited about it, so we bought it and I played it as soon as we got home. So pretty much Melee got me hooked on it, even though I rarely play Melee anymore.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I started back in 2001. Melee had just been released in Europe, and a kid living in an apartment under me had the game. Me and my big brother would go down to him and play the game as much as possible. Eventually we got our own Gamecube, just to play more Melee (which later expanded out to Metroid Prime and many other games.) Me and my big brother were both hooked for 3 years, then in 2004 we got into Metroid, WoW and other games, and SSBM was kind of sidelined from there (though that's where my crusade for Ridley as a playable character began.)

Then in 2006 the SSBB trailer surfaced, and the hype was on again. For 2 years we played Melee constantly again, we played nearly nothing but C. Falcon vs Ganondorf matches in those 2 years (looking back at the records of the game C. Falcon won out over Ganondorf with 6 wins *flex*.) The same exact thing has happened with SSBB now, we played it constantly the first 3 years or so, then a little on and off from there, and now we're playing it constantly again in anticipation for SSB4. There's no other game I've played as much

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I played some at my cousins, but I kinda sucked at it. Was saving up money for DK64, but I could pick a N64 game as a present. At first I choose... Mario Party. :laugh: But since the 1 Player mode sucked so badly, I traded it in for Smash. Was kinda dissapointed Diddy didn't make it in, otherwise I would've got it at the release date probably.

D

Deleted member

I remeber playing Smash 64 as a toddler. My two favorite characters were Samus and Link because they looked cool and had the long range grab. I was like 4 so all I did was spam grab and mash the A button.

Top Bottom