• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Main Who You Do?

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
As a person trying to find a main, it would be really helpful and interesting to find out why everybody mains who they do.
I have a hard time keeping a main for more than a month or so, but I've played a lot of Samus over all the games. I like her because I'm good at spacing, and she has loads of projectiles and a long grab for me to utilize.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
I main both :4cloud: and :4corrin:, with Corrin being my go to if I'm not doing so well with Cloud, or if I just feel like playing him.

I main :4cloud: because I like his overall character. I've always been attracted to characters with some kind of projectile and good range (this is also why I like Link, Toon Link, etc. as characters). I'm also an incredibly huge FF nerd so as soon as I heard he was in the game I promised myself I'd play him. So I guess you can chalk it up to character loyalty as well as a set of moves I really liked.

:4corrin: is pretty much for the same reason. He has a projectile and good range, and I adore Fire Emblem.

I also play :4bayonetta2: sometimes just because I love her and her sass, but not competitively seeing as how I'd get numerous amounts of hate. ;-; Poor Bayo...

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I main Corrin and Lucina, with Roy and Lucina as secondaries. In case you can't tell I'm a huge Fire Emblem Fan

Corrin: I love the way she plays and I feel there is a lot I can do with her.
Lucina: Part of it is because I use her to cover my weaknesses with Corrin, but also part of it is because ZeRo's Lucina has inspired me to play her.

Robin: My original Smash 4 main, while I still have fun with her, I don't think I can get any where competitively with her.
Roy: In my opinion the most fun FE character, given his combos and strings, but he doesn't fit my style.

I also play Palutena, Mario, Bowser, Pit/Dark Pit, and Little Mac for fun.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Because :4villagerf: is both cute and obnoxious as it gets.

nova112

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1822-2446-9002
I've mained Robin for a long time because I love his projectile and grab game (imo plays like Bowser but slow and has lasers), but I've switched to Luigi a few months ago. When I play Luigi, as long as I feel it makes sense to use, I find use in all of his moves. I feel free when I play the character, and I feel a natural high whenever I get a massive string with Luigi, whereas when I get an arcthunder or checkmate confirm I don't feel that same buzz.

Luigi's just fun.
play me, luigi is ****ing trash get on your 3ds and play me

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Well for me my main is Falco, why?

Because I started maining him back in Melee and I loved it. Stuck with him through Brawl and onto now.

I love his arials, and he is not a character you come across all the time so I have a decent amount of surprise online and at tournaments. Still getting better with him.

Creeeamy

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3239-3994-5969
It's kind of easy for me, maining Roy and Marth is a dream, I love fire emblem, not the biggest fan, but I am a fan, origin is important, Marth stays up as one of my better characters because I grew up playing him on brawl, and I just enjoy him, Roy just fits my playstyle in a way no character has ever done before, speed, power, comeback factor, he's my dream character, and I'm naturally alright with him. So the reason I main who I do is because of Origin, Play style, previous smash experience, and naturally flow with the character, also a drive to become the best with that character, I think those are the most important factors, but also another thing to consider, which a lot of people do, not everyone tho, is tiers and the meta. But no one likes a tier *****, always play who you click with or who you want to learn.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
:4dedede: and :4wario2: have both been with me since I was a kid, I still love Kirby games (I hope I get to buy the new one) and Wario Games (Wario Land and WarioWare).

In Smash, I have tested out :metaknight: but he didn't really work out for me, so I picked the best boy :dedede:. Later on in Smash 4 I decided to finally pick up the other best boy :4wario2:, I have mained them ever since.

I hope to pick up the other-other best boy :4bowser: soon, he seems very fun to play as and I love all of his appearances in Mario games.

In short, :4dedede: and :4wario2: are both very special to me.

LittleSam

Smash Rookie
My main is Little Mac and i honestly really enjoy playing as him despite all the negativity he gets:4littlemac:

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
:4mario: and :4lucina: have medium-risk/medium-reward playstyles that just make them fun to play. plus punishing ledge jumps and neutral getups with up smash as lucina, doing the silly double mario up smash that works way too often, and landing those oh-so-satisfying meteors is just so much fun i don't think i could ever drop them.

also shield breaker

Last edited:

McBush

Smash Rookie
I main :4cloud::GCB:

I am one of those guys who has 130K hours in Final Fantasy VII. So I was so hyped for him in Smash 4 that I decided to main him before I had even played as him. And then when pre-nerf Cloud stepped out onto the scene, we clicked in such a way that I would explain it as the bond a mother has with her child. Ive been playing him almost exclusively since he first came out, and now he is basically an extension of myself. So I continue to main him, and probably always will.

Nebbyla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nebbyte
3DS FC
2337-7153-0957
villager is fun and quirky with gestures so if something stupid happens i just nod their head repeatedly
marth has always been a character i have chosen since melee
lucina is good too and i use her as much as i use marth
i like being accurate with my shots and it gives me satisfaction to use pit and hit their double jump with his arrows

psychokineticProfessor

Smash Rookie
I main Ness because he has some good combos(side-b -> grab -> d-throw -> f-air, etc.), easy, quick kill moves(b-throw, u-air, b-air), and is generally fun to play as. I also really love the game Ness comes from, and EarthBound is easily one of my favorite games ever. I also use Lucas because his playstyle is somewhat similar to Ness', making it easy to adapt, while he also has enough unique traits to make himself an interesting, new character. Every once in a while I'll work on maining Link, as I love the Zelda game series and he was my initial main before I started with Ness.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
I play as Mewtwo because I was always a fan of the Pokemon series, and it is nice to have a game where he is finally viable.

SuckerKick

Smash Rookie
I am still trying to find my main but a like playing as:4bayonetta:fer schooling for glory players with sick combos,:4bowser:if i feel like being aggresive,:4rob:for nostalgia reasons,cuz he was my first main before switching to :4corrin:,(not yet final tho):4tlink:for trolling,:4sonic:if i feel like being annoying.Hate his alts tho.So bland!:4ryu:if i get tired of bowser.:4mewtwo:for mInDgAmEs,:4jigglypuff:for disrespect.:4greninja:cuz he was my first starter in pokemon X so when i heard he was in smash i was hype.:4bowserjr:cuz im jealous of his awsome animations.wOw.:4falco:cuz fox is 2 fast 4 me.Im not larry lurr.Right now im trying out:4kirby:,:4falcon:and:4samus:and also:4mario:although i only have tried samus on CPU's so idk yet.So far my favorites are,:4bayonetta::4bowser::4corrin::4mario::4sonic:although i think im gonna main:4corrin:,because of all the cool tricks he can do,i like his alts,and his victory animations and taunts are among the best for disrespect. "I WIN!":4bayonetta:cuz combos. "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady,ask your mum."

Halogi

Smash Rookie
I main D3 not only because I like him from the Kirby games, but also because of his range, survivability (I frequently reach over 180%), air game, and stupidly powerful attacks. (bair offstage kills super early) Its also really fun to destroy my friends with a low tier when they use cloud, zss, falcon, etc.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I hear you man. I have tremendous problems with D3 due to being able to take even my Smash attacks and kill throw at ridiculous percents. An f then he kills me at 70%

R

Ruben Samich

I main Samus for many reasons.

1.She's just really cool.
2.Her armor looks cool.
3.Charge Shot.

Ok but now for the real reasons.

First of all, I really like her playstyle.I've always been a defensive player. Also I don't know why, but I just love combos that use her down special. I guess it's just that "bloop" noise that it makes. And then when you get a KO it's like "you just died from that tiny thing that went 'bloop'!" I don't know, some people might get what I mean.

Also, not to get too sappy, but whenever me and my siblings would play smash 64 when I was a kid, they'd all take the big powerful characters like DK, Captain Falcon, and Link. So Samus was kind of like my own special character. So I've just always used Samus ever since.

And also, I just need to make something clear. I DON'T MAIN SAMUS JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A GIRL. I used her for YEARS before I found that out. And then I was just like "Huh, ok whatever." So don't say that. I hate it when people say that.

ElLosangeDehNoobish

Smash Rookie
I try to main Robin.

He play with the use of multitasking in your mind and i really enjoy that. The importance of keeping track of your weapons' uses and adapting to the ennemy while trying to break from pattern you notice from yourself. He might be really slow and deffinitly not the best, but, i honestly enjoy playing with him and trying to improve using that character!

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
3 reasons.

1. He's considered low tier. As someone generally against simply playing someone because they're considered good, it makes me want to play someone else to prove they might be effective.

2. I like the concept of hitting people as a doctor (in other words, the exact opposite of what a doctor does).

3. I like Mario's playstyle and Dr. Mario is obviously similar in many ways, while having enough differences to make him more fun to play over mario. Mainly this is because i enjoy Doc's down special more than Mario's.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
1. He's considered low tier. As someone generally against simply playing someone because they're considered good, it makes me want to play someone else to prove they might be effective.
There's nothing wrong playing somebody that's good. Especially if you like the character.

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
There's nothing wrong playing somebody that's good. Especially if you like the character.
I don't enjoy playing many of the top tiers for the fact that they ARE top tier. For me anyways, it feels cheap. I don't mean to disrespect people who play meta fighters, that's just how I feel.

The only two characters that are higher tiered that I'd play would be Mario or Diddy because I do like their characters.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You sound like a Cloud main...
Despite me clearly being obsessed with Lucina?
I don't enjoy playing many of the top tiers for the fact that they ARE top tier. For me anyways, it feels cheap. I don't mean to disrespect people who play meta fighters, that's just how I feel.
Nothing wrong with being Top Tier. I play them because I like the characters. Not like the lower tiers are defenceless against them anyway.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
I currently have 2 mains for some reason.

:4tlink:: My first game was Brawl and I wanted to play a sword fighter with a bit of zoning. Link didn't suit me since he was slow. I unlocked Toon later and grew to be my Brawl main. When I heard he was in smash 4, I picked him up. He seemed to fit my style of chipping from a far and landing big blows at close range. Toon is also fun, getting all kinds of projectile combos and even melee combos at random moments.

:4greninja:: I LOVE Charizard but he wasn't as good in smash but I really wanted to have a pokemon main. I later started playing Greinja and it was super fun. I still need practice, but I still love the character, in both casual and high level play like Toon Link. He also kinda fits the toon style but relies on combos and alot of shurikens, which is pretty fun to play around with.

Secondaries: :4bowser::4lucina::4miibrawl::4sonic:
Other::4lucario::4link::4littlemac::4kirby::4megaman::4falcon::4cloud2:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Man, my character skills at Smash have changed a lot in two and a half months. Luckily, my main hasn't!

:4lucas:
In Brawl, I didn't like Pokemon Trainer during Subspace Emissary, so I opted for Lucas. As soon as I picked him, it was love at first button press. When he was announced as DLC for Smash 4, I got so excited to start playing him again after a year's break. Sadly, he got nerfed from Brawl, so I didn't pick him up for a while. But after his various buffs (especially to grab) I tried picking him up again, and now he just clicks with me. The mix of a patient and zone-heavy neutral game, insane and complicated burst punishes, and lots of options for pretty much any situation makes him feel fluid and natural whenever I play him. I might be better with one of my pocket characters at any given time, but Lucas will always be my solid backup option if they fail.

For now, my pocket characters are:

:4dk: For a heavyweight with a great punish game, I love how mobile he is. And B-air is busted in neutral and advantage.

:4duckhunt: Of all the quintessential projectiles, Duck Hunt's Can is the easiest for me to control. And Can combos are so satisfying!

:4falcon: I used to play him for the disrespect, but now I've seriously put some time into his seriously fun neutral and punish game.

:4cloud: Everyone has one! I like that I can play him how I play Lucas: patient neutral, huge burst punishes involving footstools.

:4corrinf: I love her vertical combo game, and once I can master Dragon Fang Shot and Dragon Lunge, she'll be a serious threat.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
While I still main:4mario:, I have found a new secondary that I feel I would stay longer with and I did not expect to have him. After I found Mario, I always wanted to find a second character that I want to have fun with and not used for tournaments, but I always keep dropping them due to different reasons.

This character is the Radiant Hero himself,:4myfriends:. I hope that Ike will become my definite secondary, because I love his playstyle despite him being a bit slow in movement and frame data. I love making mindgames and hard reads which is what Ike is all about: having solid fundamentals. Not only I have so much fun with the character, but he also allows me to improve on my Smash fundamentals. I also have a bit of a history with the character, because I played Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and I actually really liked that game so far (haven't completed it). I like how Ike is portrayed in this game and it is very accurate of how he plays in Smash. I feel that Ike, at this point in the meta, is really underused and under-represented because of characters such as Cloud and Bayo. By the power of ''simplicity'', I want to show that Ike can still be relevant in the meta and does have some things going on for him. After all, I love ''fighting for my friends''. In all seriousness, if you want to improve on your Smash 4 fundamentals and you like Ike, pick him up. He definitely helps (shutouts to Izaw). :)

Gappy

Smash Rookie
As a person trying to find a main, it would be really helpful and interesting to find out why everybody mains who they do.
I love mario because he had a big part in my childhood, he is fun to play, and I love getting fairs

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Until recently, I mained:4rob:, and after nearly 3 years with the character, I decided I wanted to demote him to my secondary and rebrand myself as a:4mewtwo:main. Why? Well, simply put, he was my first "main" back in Melee simply due to how cool he looked in the first Pokemon movie, and I was heartbroken to find he wouldn't be returning for Brawl. Flashforward to present-day Smash 4, and I decided that I hadn't waited 8 years for my OG main to make a comeback for me to not use him, and I figured I would've mained Mewtwo from the very start if he was in the base game anyway. And while I certainly don't hate playing R.O.B., not only has sitting behind a wall of projectiles for almost 3 years frankly gotten a bit dull, but I'd only chosen to main him on a whim upon seeing a VOD from when Smash 3DS was new, so I didn't feel I had any real connection to the character, which wasn't the case for Mewtwo. Not to mention, Mewtwo's kind of the better character anyway (if more difficult to use effectively), and the stuff you can do with him makes him a lot more exhilarating to play in my book.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I main :4peach: and :rosalina:. Now, I've been playing as Peach since getting into Melee and stuck by her through all Smash installments. As for Rosa, well, I think her Luma's up air puts :bowsermelee:'s up-air to shame and it feels good to connect that for early KOs. Oh, and I have :4lucina: and :4bayonetta2: as secondaries. What can I say? I like all the female characters in this series...

MewtwoUprising

Smash Cadet
NNID
Necro84
I main toon Link and Mewtwo because I like the ability to use projectiles to bait and get in my opponents head with projectiles mind games like shadow ball to bait double jump to FAir or bomb to conditoin shield then grab I just like faking people out and crafting strategies on the fly so projectile characters are good for that in my experience plus toon link is very good for frustrating your opponent because of the wall of projectiles you can use to keep them out or close the distance.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
:4peach:, like a handful of others in here (hey there by the way; nice to see more and more Peach players these days!).
I just happen to like feminine things a lot, and she brings a lot of nostalgia to me in her move-set (mainly reminding me of Super Mario Bros. 2 [Super Mario All-Stars was my very first video game~] and Super Mario RPG).

As a great bonus, I can abuse my unusual luck with her :GCD::GCB:!

McChicken

Smash Rookie
I main :4lucina: and :4marth: but I kinda favor :4lucina:, 'cause she's :4lucina:. That's pretty much the reason I started maining them, because I instantly fell in love with Lucina and I happened to like how she's played and I decided to pick up the japanese popstar guy, because I liked the tipper. Although his sword is kinda too short (this is not a penis joke, I promise).
I also play :4mario:, :4ganondorf: and :4jigglypuff: a lot, mainly for the memes.

flamer180

Banned via Administration
Why do I main the bestest to do it all? Why do I main the God of smash. The one who no one thought would ever be glorified and bowed down to as their king.

The greatest of the nee-andles. The sultan of swat. The sultan of swat. No, not the sultan of swat. It is the glorious babe ruth!

THEEEEEE GREATEST LITTLE MAC!!!!!

Top Bottom