• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Main Who You Do?

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
To me it's been a shift in reason over the years.

For the N64 Version I mained :kirby64: and :samus64: and the reasons was kinda simple. Back then I was rather young and decided that I would want to play 1 I liked and 1 that I found "cool" and both Kirby and Samus filled those slots.
- Kirby was the one I played because of the move-set. I enjoyed all of the specials a lot and just had great time playing.
- Samus I originally chose because of the looks "Someone in a Robot suit with a Plasma Cannon, what's not to love?!" But at the same time, Samus had a move-set that I found fun to play around with, yet not as fun as Kirby.

For Melee I had a harder time picking a main as it is the only Smash game that I did not own myself and only played at a buddy's. But in the end I ended up maining :mewtwomelee: and :roymelee: and the reasons was kind of close to how it was for Smash 64
- Mewtwo won me over because of his move-set bu I also always enjoyed his appearance and attitude as a Pokemon (Especially after the movie him an Mew "stared inn)
- Roy was mostly for the sh*t and giggles, trying to line up the neutral B while at the ledge never got boring and although I never did win much as him when I first played at my buddy's, I did have fun.
Now in case you were wondering why Samur and Kirby was dropped. Well - Kirby is pretty self explanatory, despite his move-set being pretty much the same with the addition of the Hammer. He ended up being lackluster in many other ways and I just found Roy and Mewtwo to be better. I was not really surprised when I learned that Kirby was bottom tier and for what reasons in Melee. As for Samus: Among 3 of my active Smash Bros buddies back then, 1 of them went FULL Samus main and the other went Fox / Samus main so I just figured I'd not go for Samus.

Brawl was a special era, I got my hands on the game within the first week of it's EU Release. And by my icon alone I am sure you can tell who my main was. But the reason behind this main is totally different than previously.
Ever since I saw him in the Kirby games, Meta Knight was a character I admired and thought to be cool as sh*t! In my book he was the best and coolest Nintendo character ever and my love for him grew even more once I saw the English dubbed version of the TV Anime "Kirby Right Back At Ya" - So once I saw Meta Knight on the E3 Reveal for Brawl, I was already sold. My most beloved Nintendo character came to Smash! And it was only a fireball that they made him as OP as he became.

:metaknight: Is in many peoples eyes the main problem with Brawl, but sadly I glanced over that. I knew he was OP. But OP be damned when the Nintendo character I loved the most was playable. Eventually it sank in for me when I played on team VS 3 of my buddies and tok em all out on 5KO limit with all my lives left: That maybe Meta Knight should not have been this strong, but reasoning be damned when I had so much fun. His move-set was as well extremely to my liking. But alas, a kings reign comes to a end someday.

Smash 4 has been out for a while now but it was not until now recently in 2017 that I got it myself but I have spendt many hours at my buddies place playing it. And so far I am more diverse than ever before.

Currently in Smash 4 I swap between the following: :4palutena::4robinf::4myfriends::4metaknight::4shulk:

Shulk I play mostly for the lolz, he is just a hero I use to piss people off as "BACK SLASH" is a satisfying move to slap someone in the face with. He is a guy I play purely for the "sh*ts and giggles"

Meta Knight still is my fave character, with his balancing in Smash 4 - I kind of find him more fun to play, the only thing I truly miss from Brawl is the good old Shuttle Loop. RIP my old Up B friend.

Ike is one I play for "satisfactory" reasons. That damage and launch power + range is nothing but fun and I am really surprised that I did not see this nor get into it before. It was never that I disliked his move-set either, I just never got into him but now in Smash 4 I hold him in high regards, mostly because of how good it feels to just land that forward smash, sending the ******** flying off at so low %

Robin is more back on track with how I like the play style and move-set. YES YES I know, He / She runs like a snail but I don't really care. What I actually like the most about Robin is the "Limited Power" factor. How you end up weakened from spamming too much and that you would want to balance things out in order not to burn away both your Book and Sword. I just like that aspect so much, then one combines that with a move-set I like - Pure joy.

Lady Palutena won me over in ALMOST all ways. As where on most previous characters there has been a move or two that I found to not like - Plautena just nailed everything for me. Especially how she by default holds Ranged Projectiles, Reflect AND A Counter all on the B button - Perfection. BUT. There is a but. Her standard Up B is the worst ever so I only play her with custom settings where I have swapped her standard Up B for the "Jump Glide" - Once she gets that Jump Glide, pure perfection in my book. Fun to play, the best move-set I could ask for and all in all, just the Smash character I so far have enjoyed the most.

Now I know I could have shortened this down but I hate those "I main X because Y" comments. I like to add some story and reasons too it, so pardon for the lengthy comment if that triggers someone, I just like to tell a story when a story can be told.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
To me it's been a shift in reason over the years.

For the N64 Version I mained :kirby64: and :samus64: and the reasons was kinda simple. Back then I was rather young and decided that I would want to play 1 I liked and 1 that I found "cool" and both Kirby and Samus filled those slots.
- Kirby was the one I played because of the move-set. I enjoyed all of the specials a lot and just had great time playing.
- Samus I originally chose because of the looks "Someone in a Robot suit with a Plasma Cannon, what's not to love?!" But at the same time, Samus had a move-set that I found fun to play around with, yet not as fun as Kirby.

For Melee I had a harder time picking a main as it is the only Smash game that I did not own myself and only played at a buddy's. But in the end I ended up maining :mewtwomelee: and :roymelee: and the reasons was kind of close to how it was for Smash 64
- Mewtwo won me over because of his move-set bu I also always enjoyed his appearance and attitude as a Pokemon (Especially after the movie him an Mew "stared inn)
- Roy was mostly for the sh*t and giggles, trying to line up the neutral B while at the ledge never got boring and although I never did win much as him when I first played at my buddy's, I did have fun.
Now in case you were wondering why Samur and Kirby was dropped. Well - Kirby is pretty self explanatory, despite his move-set being pretty much the same with the addition of the Hammer. He ended up being lackluster in many other ways and I just found Roy and Mewtwo to be better. I was not really surprised when I learned that Kirby was bottom tier and for what reasons in Melee. As for Samus: Among 3 of my active Smash Bros buddies back then, 1 of them went FULL Samus main and the other went Fox / Samus main so I just figured I'd not go for Samus.

Brawl was a special era, I got my hands on the game within the first week of it's EU Release. And by my icon alone I am sure you can tell who my main was. But the reason behind this main is totally different than previously.
Ever since I saw him in the Kirby games, Meta Knight was a character I admired and thought to be cool as sh*t! In my book he was the best and coolest Nintendo character ever and my love for him grew even more once I saw the English dubbed version of the TV Anime "Kirby Right Back At Ya" - So once I saw Meta Knight on the E3 Reveal for Brawl, I was already sold. My most beloved Nintendo character came to Smash! And it was only a fireball that they made him as OP as he became.

:metaknight: Is in many peoples eyes the main problem with Brawl, but sadly I glanced over that. I knew he was OP. But OP be damned when the Nintendo character I loved the most was playable. Eventually it sank in for me when I played on team VS 3 of my buddies and tok em all out on 5KO limit with all my lives left: That maybe Meta Knight should not have been this strong, but reasoning be damned when I had so much fun. His move-set was as well extremely to my liking. But alas, a kings reign comes to a end someday.

Smash 4 has been out for a while now but it was not until now recently in 2017 that I got it myself but I have spendt many hours at my buddies place playing it. And so far I am more diverse than ever before.

Currently in Smash 4 I swap between the following: :4palutena::4robinf::4myfriends::4metaknight::4shulk:

Shulk I play mostly for the lolz, he is just a hero I use to piss people off as "BACK SLASH" is a satisfying move to slap someone in the face with. He is a guy I play purely for the "sh*ts and giggles"

Meta Knight still is my fave character, with his balancing in Smash 4 - I kind of find him more fun to play, the only thing I truly miss from Brawl is the good old Shuttle Loop. RIP my old Up B friend.

Ike is one I play for "satisfactory" reasons. That damage and launch power + range is nothing but fun and I am really surprised that I did not see this nor get into it before. It was never that I disliked his move-set either, I just never got into him but now in Smash 4 I hold him in high regards, mostly because of how good it feels to just land that forward smash, sending the ******** flying off at so low %

Robin is more back on track with how I like the play style and move-set. YES YES I know, He / She runs like a snail but I don't really care. What I actually like the most about Robin is the "Limited Power" factor. How you end up weakened from spamming too much and that you would want to balance things out in order not to burn away both your Book and Sword. I just like that aspect so much, then one combines that with a move-set I like - Pure joy.

Lady Palutena won me over in ALMOST all ways. As where on most previous characters there has been a move or two that I found to not like - Plautena just nailed everything for me. Especially how she by default holds Ranged Projectiles, Reflect AND A Counter all on the B button - Perfection. BUT. There is a but. Her standard Up B is the worst ever so I only play her with custom settings where I have swapped her standard Up B for the "Jump Glide" - Once she gets that Jump Glide, pure perfection in my book. Fun to play, the best move-set I could ask for and all in all, just the Smash character I so far have enjoyed the most.

Now I know I could have shortened this down but I hate those "I main X because Y" comments. I like to add some story and reasons too it, so pardon for the lengthy comment if that triggers someone, I just like to tell a story when a story can be told.

Nah, man that was really interesting! Just wondering do you have a set main for Smash 4 out of those 5 that you play the most or no?

Rexxgrim

Smash Rookie
Nah, man that was really interesting! Just wondering do you have a set main for Smash 4 out of those 5 that you play the most or no?
I would call Palutena my set main at that - She is my go to character and I do play her more than I play the others due to how much I like her style of play, but ofc that is again restricted to having customization available so I can replace the Up Special from it's standard to the Jump Glide.

MiniSara

Smash Rookie
I main Peach because she's the only interesting woman in Smash who isn't sexualized the slightest.

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
I tried :4jigglypuff:and mained her for the longest time. Dropped him/her once I accepted that fact that I just wont get better at the game unless I switch mains.

Tried :4bowserjr:because I loved the :4ludwig:alt. Realised that spamming projectiles was key to playing this character and dropped him after a week.

Downloaded :4cloud:and loved how fluid he was - felt like a true Smash Bros. character. Dropped him as soon as I realised how broken he was. Winning with Cloud is just so unsatisfying and playing against him is unbearably frustrating. He's on my blacklist of characters I will never play again.

I was going to main :4mario:but ultimately decided not to due to the abundance of players maining him and also FLUDD as opposed to Mario Tornado. FLUDD is clearly better but I main :mario64: in SSB64 and also play him in Melee to a lesser extent, and it just feels weird without it (as his down special).

Decided to try out :4yoshi:because I prefer "brawlers"/colourful characters and wanted to main a Mario series character. He just clicked in place. Honestly it's probably mostly to do with his amazing air speed and jabs. I was playing :4lucina:the other day for ****s and giggles, and was tilted just because her double jump doesn't cover half of the stage.

:4peach:as my secondary because, again, air movement.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheese47
3DS FC
1289-8230-5012
I'll explain those in my sig!

I didn't own a Nintendo console until the Wii. My cousin always had the SNES systems and I just played games on his. So when I first got Brawl I was really into Kirby and Metroid as the first 2 Nintendo franchises I delved into. Since I was a relative newcomer to Nintendo, I leaned towards Snake and Sonic, as well, though I later mixed in some DK and Diddy. I picked Zero Suit over normal Samus b/c it's more aesthetically pleasing. :) Plus I didn't dig a lot Samus's Morph Ball buttons. Overall, Zero Suit and Kirby were pretty much #1A and #1B, my co-mains.

For 3DS, I had become a fan DK due to the Retro Studios games. I was also fresh from playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and it was still in my mind, hence Robin, while Lucina got decent play. I still had a soft spot for Kirby and Zero Suit, so they got some play. I mixed in some other new characters here and there too, like Mac and Wii Fit Trainer. For no real reason I can think of, DK ended up being played 3DS character.

So when Smash 4 came out for Wii U, I decided to change it up from the 3DS. I went back to Zero Suit, but still kept the DK characters (sensing a Retro Studios admiration here...). All 3 have been fairly equally played. The number 4 is my 2nd favorite digit, so I like to consider playing 4 characters (7 is my favorite digit, but that's too much!). I'm currently kinda deciding on who my 4th should be since I'm returning to Smash 4. Bayonetta is currently my choice (loved the game), but Wii Fit Trainer, Zelda, Toon Link, and Lucina are all candidates (TLoZ characters due to me finally playing some Zelda games after getting a Wii U). And I may lean more towards them over Bayo, b/c I've recently realized i'm not a HUGE fan of guest characters, not like I used to be. I think I may try to be a Nintendo purist these days as this is my return to Smash after having not played for about a year. :teeth:

So, as you can see, I pretty much pick my characters based on what games or franchises I like best. That isn't to say I dislike StarFox, Mario, etc games, of course.

I main Peach because she's the only interesting woman in Smash who isn't sexualized the slightest.
Are Zelda, Rosalina, and Palutena "sexualized" b/c they show shoulder skin? Or are they just not interesting? :p

edit:
so for some reason, it hit me today that maybe I don't want to main Zero Suit anymore. I think I am pretty butthurt that Retro isn't dev'ing Prime4. I've narrowed it to DK, Diddy, Lucina, Toon Link, and Bayo as to who I'll play. Leaning towards DK and Lucina as co-mains, but we'll see...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, somehow I just now decided on a third main for myself: :4bayonetta2: has gone from my secondary to main. Now, let me tell you why: I have an amiibo of her in her alternate P2 variant (not :4bayonetta:), which is a nice touch. I don't know about the rest of y'all here, but I'm starting to fall in love with her, the same as how I fell in love with :peachmelee: when I started playing Melee. And considering her unique set of moves and her performance in the competitive community, my mind has been made up.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
:4darkpit:

The first person I saw play SSB4 was Nairo with his Dark Pit. Tried him out and he is actually fun and kind of good (mid-tier I believe). I prefer him over Pit because of how he kills more-so horizontally and at earlier percents. Decent aerials, sort of good overall speed that suits me.

Jonjonf

Smash Rookie
I main :4lucas:cause he got funny mix ups and lot of cuteness . And his gameplay is just really cool and fluid .

DartMonkey

Smash Rookie
I main Dark Pit :4darkpit:because he's fast, mobile, got a great dash attack, good strings with the down throw to Fair or up air, electroshock catches people off guard and is great for kills, has an outstanding recovery that can save you from spikes, projectiles that do decent damage, a deflector move, and a forward throw that kills. His smashes are also pretty strong and don't have a bad cooldown.

Funny thing is that I never even played a single Kid Icarus game. But Dark Pit just feels so solid.

Last edited:

Spiwizzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mama Mii-a
3DS FC
5429-9383-9253
I'm sorta a maining nomad (filthy casual) haha!! For a while I've been alternating between :4corrinf: and :4duckhunt:, but I also play :4cloud: and :4bayonetta: fairly often.... I also sometimes play the miis just so I can pretend I'm playing as Viridi, Geno, Toad, Protoman or Takamaru...

A̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶Lu̶c̶i̶n̶a̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶l̶t̶i̶m̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶f̶u̶

Last edited:

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
I've mainly played Fox since the past three installments (co-mained with Ike in Brawl) and I main them in this game now. I don't know.. I've tried experimenting with the other characters on the roster, but I keep finding myself going back to Fox and Ike. It's almost like I'm destined to play these character for the rest of my life. :surprised:

Although, I'm liking ZSS alot and might make her a third candidate for me if I get better with her!

Sylenzo

Smash Rookie
I can do well with: Bowser, Danky kang (Donkey kong), Marth, Lucina, Ike, Shulk, Sheik, Zelda, Ganondorf, Meta knight, R.O.B, Sonic, Little Mac, Captain falcon, Mii Brawler (though not when 1111 is enforced) Samus, Ness, Lucas, ZSS, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Squirtle and Ivysaur (Although the last 3 are for brawl only)
Oh boy, Bowser and Ganondorf for his pure survivability and bowser/ganoncide (take first stock, bowser/ganoncide, win!), Donkey kong for the sheer power behind his moves, and I just love a spike or four. I picked up Marth at first, for the sheer strings I can do without tipper with tipper finishers :) then I tried Lucina and I found both had their advantages so I mained both, Ike for sheer range and power Shulk... It's tricky, I can't resist the kill power for smash, using buster to bait and vision for good damage, the speed's confusion, shield... eh good at 120%+ for survivability and jump's kill confirm, between that and the fact I can mix them is why I main Shulk. Sheik and ZSS for agility and combo ability while still not struggling to kill thanks to their down specials Wolf, feels almost like a bionic extension, and to this day I don't know why. Squirtle + Ivysaur as an extension for Charizard no specific reason really, Charizard I can't really see a big weakness but his size/weight allowing for combos. Meta knight because Brawl. Nope, nothing else. Rob for his/her/its amazing egdeguarding, recovery, aerials, and the lazer is cool to kill with) Sonic's sheer speed is difficult to catch, Little Mac and Jigglypuff for disrespect, Captain falcon's combos and the hilarious falcon punch, Mii Brawler is just so fast and powerful, though as I run helicopter kick, I kinda struggle with vertical recovery. Samus just has a great projectile game. Zelda's lovely elevator and general disrespect with low-tier destruction. Ness and Lucas have an amazing finisher for hard reads, PK thunder, ass well as general sniping for edgeguarding and a good ledgetrap by the name of PK fire, and an absorber and a reflector for non-absorbable projectiles. Pikachu for it's difficulty getting comboed, while it's great combo, neutral and mind games paired with a kill confirm and small hurtboxes make it good for me. Ice climbers for 1 grab kills and a ridiculously rarely known and difficult but straight savage kill confirm killing at things like 70% when you get (on wiimote) your control stick/D-pad and input a fair for popo and a ftilt for nana, if you position nana by the ledge and popo slightly out from it, nana will ftilt into popo's fair spike yup, true combos into spikes.

tl;dr I main random and I can pull the draggiest of tournaments to hype with random picks

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I play :4corrin:, because I really like his side special, which is Dragon Lunge.
It pins down his opponent, and I can choose to kick at any direction I want.

I also play :4lucina: for fun, because she's simple and straightforward to play.
She definitely like Marth with few differences, except that I adore her voice.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I main Samus. She's been my main since Super Smash Bros. 64, but my history with the character started back in 1994 because a friend of mine at a daycare I went to owned Super Metroid. I ended up getting the game for Christmas and I still have the cartridge, box, and manual to this day. I even downloaded it on the Virtual Console for the Wii and my brother downloaded it for the Wii U. If you couldn't tell by now, I'm a fan of the Metroid series. Anyway, I was disappointed that there wasn't a Metroid game for the N64, so using Samus in SSB was the only way.

There are one of two ways you can decide who to main, and both aren't mutually exclusive. You could select a character whom you like from a particular series. You could select a character who feels right to you. If a character you select as a main feels right to you, and if that character is a character you like from a particular series, then you have the best of both worlds. For me, Samus feels normal. I don't feel like I have to put in any effort to use her properly. I do continue to improve with her everyday, but I've used her for so long that she doesn't feel unorthodox.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
I main :4dedede:, mostly because he's grown on to me, but his playstyle I enjoy a lot
Like getting those s i c c Gordo combos, seeing his hilarious down tilt, or the great satisfaction that his shield breaking or reading rolls/counters into forward smash or Jet Hammer.
He's a heavyweight with a very reliable recovery, and his attacks hit like trucks.
Plus, he's a bottom tier, and it makes it even better when I win, or for bottom tiers in general, because it shows that they can still win a few and can become very dangerous if time and dedication are put in there.
So props to all of those who main who you main, and keep on shining you crazy diamond.

Actem

Smash Rookie
I found these characters because they stuck out, and they have their own games I recognized them from.
On the WiiU I play as :4fox: because he has a good recovery, aerials, and grabs. His projectile attack is good for spacing, plus shines :upsidedown:
Pretty fun to play as him.

I used to main :4link: because he also has a good recovery and aerials.
:4falcon: and :4sheik: are fine too.

Picking up Melee soon!

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
im a gigantic jim and like complaining about my lack of kill options

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
Was an Ike main but hey why not use better Ike?

I'm a fairly defective defensive player. Forcing approaches with limit is great, the mobility to get around projectiles rocks, and the range to repel my opponent of their approach is awesome.

And to mixup gameplay Cloud can be played aggressive and bait&punish.

He is awesome.

Last edited:

Starbitz2

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rozalina22501
3DS FC
3669-0079-1533
Switch FC
SW-7157-2088-2513
:4ness:
I love Ness because he can get around the stage pretty easily, and he's the one I use most offstage. Also I love grabbing with him
:4sonic:
Legit I use Sonic just because I want to prove that there's more to him than just U-Air.
:4villager:
Started using him because I have a Smol Nozomi mod, and since then Villager just kinda grew on me. Its like he's a perfect mix of edgeguard and close combat.
:4mario:
Just because he's Mario. And F-Air.
:4drmario:
The entire reason I wabted Sm4sh is because of the Doc. He's just so strong!
:4lucas::4mewtwo:
Both for the same reason. Floaty jumps.
And last but not least...:4pacman:

Started playing him for the same reason as Villager, a LoveLive Fruit mod. After I tried him out, he just kinda stayed with me.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:rosalina:
Controls space well, and thanks to Luma is often able to do so in ways unique to her. I enjoy the theory of puppet characters, but I'd say she's the first I enjoyed playing as well. Also probably my favorite Mario character.

:4corrinf:

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Secondaries:
:4yoshi:
Solid counter pick, his speed and eggs allow for safe attacks, and his double jump super armor can help escape out of combos
:4wario:
His bike grants amazing recovery and punishes rolls, all while giving free damage and taking certain projectiles and dash attacks. Basically a heavier Mario for regular and air attacks. Chomp is a good command grab and punishes shield and rolls. Waft is a balance limit
:4gaw:
People think he's all nine, 9, nein, but I actually hardly use Judge in a match. His combos unpredictable attacks and his jank windbox keep me going. Also Oil Painc is hilarious for spammers.
:4mario:
Only for countering these annoying people. Otherwise, you know the drill

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
ZSS cause of her overall mobility. Just felt natural in Brawl so assumed that was a playstyle I enjoyed. Recently picked up Sm4sh and after reviewing most of the cast, my muscle memory begs for her. Also, beautiful.

hAKLE

Smash Cadet
NNID
mariomush115
My boi Jiggs, :4jigglypuff: with her devastating :GCD::GCB:, my opponents tremble in fear. Well they would if she wasn't F Tier

My secondary is Luigi. :4luigi: With his catastrophic :GCU::GCB:, He becomes the One-Punch Man of Smash. Well he would if Elegant didn't lose in the GTX finals. I hate Cloud mains.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I have a pretty bad character crisis, but my one true main through all of this is Sonic. While many people hate Sonic and his mains, I don't because Sonic, even though he isn't great as a character, is what I grew up with. The very first game I ever played was Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis and I loved that game. I am also a track runner, so going fast is pretty much my thing, so Sonic fits me as a person. Finally, I play hyper-defensive in Smash 4, so Sonic's optimal playstyle is my playstyle. I don't need to think about playing Sonic the optimal way, it just comes to me. His tech is relatively easy to learn, and he is fun to play. Shoutout to my other main Zss, I play her to go crazy with combos. Her freedom of movement is so fun to play around with, and she has the flash that Sonic lacks.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
:snake: in Brawl because he was the first character I ever picked up and started really enjoying. Also, that down smash :yeahboi:. But Marth becuase I love the spacing games and dair spikes.

Helios980

Smash Rookie
Marth, because t i p p e r s.
also, he has great gimp game, Counter is a very versatile tool, and his Fsmash is tied for the fastest in the game.

Doubledasher

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0705-4824-7312
Main Robin because of those projectiles and Leven Sword. Has such a good boxing and zoning game that is really rewarding plus he is unrepresented so playing him feels unique.
I secondary Roy due to his just crazy advantage game, once he is in..l he is in! It’s always fun finding that opening and doing 50%-70% or getting one read into F-Smash for easy win... plus when you get that HARD read into full charged Flare Blade you feel like a god

Sobayaki

Smash Rookie
I main :mariomelee: in Melee because I needed a character to learn my fundamentals, and I figured Mario should have a balanced moveset. Lollll

I main :4zss: in Smash 4 because I like her moveset (and she's hot af)

Last edited:

MikkiSixx

Smash Rookie
It all comes down to playstyle for me. :marthmelee: is just... graceful. I don't know how else to explain. He's just got a flow to him that other characters don't have. I've tried to play other characters none of them feel right. So, naturally, when I picked up Sm4sh, I just chose:4marth: again.

Last edited:

LastTheories

Smash Rookie
I main :4lucina: because she was the character that got me into the fire emblem universe, and helped me learn the basics of smash. (Combo Game, Reading, Baits, Set Ups, and largely Spacing) Also hated the general consensus of Lucina is a worse marth so I wanted to get good with her.
I switched to her from Peach because I always felt not technical enough to do what I wanted to do with Peach, but with Lucina it almost seems like everything is possible

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
In the original SSB64, I mained Luigi pretty hard, but I also got my sister to play with me a lot. She wanted to play as Luigi, and so I was kind of forced to find some other character to play as. I played Link a lot, but I was also really interested in Ness because of a counselor of a summer camp I attended.

He was super anal about Ness in his copy of his game. He'd bring the game with him and we'd play sometimes at the camp. He basically didn't let anyone else play as Ness because he didn't want him to have any recorded deaths, so you weren't ever allowed to choose Ness. Once I found out how to unlock him in my own copy I loved his moveset and playstyle and used him constantly so much that he replaced Luigi for me.

Ever since then, it's never really changed. I also dual main Lucas in the games he appears in and play as other characters like Yoshi and Pikachu, but I've always found Ness to be super-intuitive to play as for me and none of the games have ever changed that. If they ever add in Isaac, I may have a real crisis on my hands, haha.

To top this all off, I've never played a single Earthbound or Mother game.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I main no one because I get bored of a kit too easily. Palutena, Fox, Roy, Sheik, Mario, DK, M2, Villager...the list goes on. They are all unique and fun in their own ways and bring their own game to the table. Focusing on one kit is just too boring for me.

It doesn't help that I'm easily the best at my college and I don't travel much. :l

If anyone is my "main" I'd say Palutena. Something about her turtly playstyle of forcing the opponent to approach just to barrage their offensive approachs with bair is sooo satisfying.

Fox because his strings are hilarious and fun. The little insult to injury with the occasional laser is icing on the sweet, sweet cake.

Mario because I can do his combos whilst asleep and focus solely on neutral mentally. Helps alot against aggressive players.

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
:4luigi: because I can combo and kill with ease and annoy everyone with getting random missile kills or shoryuken out of jabs.
:4drmario: because I don't care what others think and I can get some good combos that are surprisingly good for a low tier.
:4mario: because :4drmario: can't do everything.
:4dk: because he has good mobility and power and can kill out of up throw.
:4tlink: because bomb set ups and up tilt combos are fun.
:4bowser: because breaking shields and grab kill confirms are fun.
:4duckhunt: because nobody seems to know how to fight this character.
:4gaw: becasue easy combos, decent mobility, and kill power are all nice together.
:4pacman: because I like messing with people's minds.

Mafew

Smash Rookie
I main Pikachu because I picked it up in brawl and stuck with him

DillyDiamond

Smash Rookie
I main Luigi! He’s great because he has a great combo game, is good at closing out stocks kinda early, and he just has a great personality!

JawshGray

Smash Rookie
I have two mains in 4. I main Greninja mainly because I like his design so it's more of a personal preference and I simply just love his moveset, Water Shuriken and Shadow Sneak being the personal highlights for me. I also main Sonic because of his mobility and he's just really silly to play as, and his Final Smash is probably the most satisfying to obtain. At least, for me.

Top Bottom