• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main that character?

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
For all 3 games, Pikachu was my favorite character and main (he was even my main for a while in Melee, till I found out he was nerfed, but he was still decent despite the nerf), however since the SSB64 (only played a few times with a friend back when I was living in Virginia) and Melee Pika days, I've started to main other characters, these are my mains as of today:

Melee: Mewtwo (primary) although it's a lil hard to set a up a proper combo with him and I lose to people who can send him flying easily such as Marth, Ganondorf (whenever I use him people better run for the hills, plus he complements Mewtwo quite well as a teammate), both Marios (regular and Doctor), Captain Falcon and Peach (oddly enough I can use her quite well all thanks to her hover and of course her turnips, even though I hate her character because she's soo annoying (yes I'm putting her even more annoying than Daisy who is easily the most annoying character out of the Mario cast, I can tolerate her easily, and Rosalina who's easily my fave out of the 3 Princesses, mostly because of her voice and she's not annoying and she's quite cute).

Brawl: Lucario (primary) although some people are saying Lucario is pretty hard to get kills early on and can only kill when he's at a disadvantage (he can in fact net kills early on by edge guarding if your really good), Sonic (for some weird reason I do a lot better with Sonic in 3-ways/4-ways than I do with Lucario, probably because he combos faster than Lucario and doesn't have the floaty aspect holding him back even though they're in the same weight class), Pikachu (seeing him getting buffed back to his almost self from SSB64 was a sight to behold, although I rarely use him unless if Lucario or Sonic goes down in a match), and Pit (he sets up combos easily but has a hard time landing kills, plus that arrow is not to be ignored and he has 2 reflective moves (that might change in SSB4 since I've heard he might get a new Side B, which has been confirmed to be the Upper dash arm from Uprising), Wolf (he's pretty good and has some nasty combos to work with although he has the worst recovery in the game (along with Ike's), and that doesn't help since he like Fox and Falco before him is a fast-faller, his only saving grace for me is his Side B (which I use a lot over his Fire Wolf, although Fire Wolf has a decent range for a recovery move it's after the move has finished is what annoys me greatly, he can't be controlled if he accidently goes off the stage with it which I hope they fix if they bring him back).

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
There's one character for me, and that is Link. Despite his slow attack speed (but when compared with other heavyweights, save Snake and C. Falcon, he's fast), heavy weight, large hitbox and all other disadvantages, I still find a knack for him someway, somehow. In the Brawls I play as Link, I always trick the opponent when they have me hit backwards, and use slight momentum (at the cost of air height) to try and recover. As useful or useless as it may seem, it has gotten me out of sticky situations.

But the one thing I main Link solely for are his fast, powerful attacks for a heavyweight character.

I also main Ganondorf for his sheer power and underestimated potential, Wolf for being a great character with extremely fast and powerful attacks, Marth for speed and tipper power, and Ike for any underestimated circumstances I come across against players.

Custom

Smash Cadet
Favorite number is 9. One day when trying new characters to see what fit, I unknowingly stumbled upon the most fantastic assortment of random attacks known as Mr. Game & Watch. I guess I got lucky because the side B did not fail me that day, when I asked my friend how I just 1HKO'd him he explained the mechanic and I was then sold. I grew to love all the other things about the char too, like having 2 of the most powerful attacks in the game, seeming to give no ****s while he's fighting, etc. Oh and a big thing from watching smashers like Vinnie, G&W's offstage combat looked beautiful to me, I loved how he could pressure MK's while being right next to the bottom blast zone.

A Dualist

Smash Rookie
I would say that I now have two mains in Brawl, the mains being Wario and Olimar. I main Wario and Olimar because of their abilities to play both aggressively and defensively, while they are better suited for defensive play, I find playing aggressively more entertaining in general. If my opponent has a very defensive/camp-heavy playing style, then I would use Wario's and Olimar's primary defensive abilities (Wario's being mobility and Olimar's being projectile camping) to counter-camp or go even with my opponent's camping. I find Wario and Olimar fun to play as well.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I generally play off my opponent. If they are defensive and campy, ill generally counter camp, or look for an opening to approach.
If they are aggressive, i respond by playing more aggressivley.
But as a kirby main... there are some limits to my camping and aggro.

Last edited:

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I main Pikachu because not only was he the first character I ever played as but his attacks are fast and he's very very nimble, and I like him in general.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I main Sheik because he/she is my childhood's crush. My brother was playing OoT 64 when I was three years old and I liked to borrow the file in which I was always seeing Sheik teaching me a song before the Fire Temple. I don't know why, but he had that special appeal. And then I met him again in Melee, while discovering Zelda and he were the same person, but I was four years old at the time and I didn't even bother to figure out why and how that could happen. All that mattered was that I could play with him.

Also, Marth. Despite Sheik being my all-time favorite video game character, I tend to play as Marth a lot more on Smash. He is awesome - I know him since Melee too, and later discovered the Fire Emblem series.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
When I was in 2nd grade, I attended an afterschool program. There was this one day one of the teachers brought Brawl and 4 Wiimotes. People signed up to play, and naturally since I played Melee before and also owned 64/Brawl at the time I was excited to play. At the time I didn't have that one character I really really liked, so I would just choose who I felt like playing (I chose Bowser). I ended up winning against that teacher and a bunch of other upper-graders. I was pretty proud at the time, and continued to play Bowser a lot at home.

I also love Bowser because he's a large reptilian beast/monster . As a kid I was obsessed with Godzilla, dinosaurs, and large creatures (still am!), so naturally I like Bowser a lot.

His playstyle in Melee/Brawl is also very fun and satisfying! Although he's a low tier, I really enjoy his slow, heavy, and hard-hitting playstyle!

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but I also really really like Lucario. I really enjoy Pokemon games and Lucario is just a very cool Pokemon (one of my favorite Pokemon). It's pretty hard for me to choose who to main: Lucario or Bowser. (I tend to switch avis a lot because of this... some days I like Bowser more, but others I like Lucario more...and sometimes even Pikachu... @.@)

Last edited:

Aerialfighter96

Smash Rookie
i main kirby because i can easily string combos together with kirby.... and its fun to eat your opponents :kirby2:

SwordDance

Smash Cadet
Link because fan of the Legend of Zelda of series and his moveset complements my style of play

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Sorry but any time I land one I giggle like a psychotic... The whole NES Mario style *WHAM* sound as it connects... Or ending matches with a Suicide Slam... Just so satisfying. I'm glad I'm not a competitive player considering Bowsers status as I'd pick him 100% no matter the odds just on the off-chance of getting a chain of slams :D
Not to mention abusing the increased range in the air to snatch people up when they think they are safe or grabbing the extended limb of an annoying aerial attack.

Anyway, I main Bowser because I like what he can do, his moveset and playstyle fit my personal preferences very well and I think he's fun to use.

If we are also talking about other games then in street fighter and Tatsunoko vs Capcom I main Dan the Man and Gold Lightan respectively. Dan is a really cool and interesting character with a lot of personality and some hilarious taunts and win quotes but he also has a viable moveset and can still compete. Gold Lightan, being a giant, does not need to have an assist and his combos aren't too hard to learn, it's also pretty fun applying his strong corner pressure.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
My current main was one of the last characters I saw myself wanting to get better with before I picked him up, actually. Before then, I had just hopped around from character to character. Had a new main every other week, damn near. My secondaries were pretty much my best characters relegated to nearly no play time.

This went on throughout 2010. At the beginning of 2011, Pokemon Trainer was my main. Went to a tournament expecting some magic after about a month of training, ended up doing horrendously. Wasn't really sure what to do. I like playing lower/middle tier characters to help with their competitive representation, but I felt like I couldn't help that at all with how poorly I still played.

Around this time, my best characters were Samus, Sonic, Snake, and Falcon. Although my Samus and Sonic were the ones with actual tournament history; I had only been to three competitive events, and two of them were in late 2010. I liked Samus, but she has a lot of match-ups that make me grimace. Same with Falcon. I seemed to do decent with Sonic, but... he pissed me off when it came to killing in certain MUs. I enjoyed playing Snake. However, I didn't feel much accomplishment when it came to winning with him, regardless of whom I beat. I hope that's understandable, at least to some degree.

Anyway, I can't remember exactly how, but I ended up settling on Ike at the beginning of February 2011. From there, I frequented the Ike boards and got all the help support I could've ever asked for. I got 7th/60-something at my first out of state tournament that summer, with all Ike. That boosted my confidence to the point where I practically swore my continued existence as an Ike main in Brawl. Assist his representation and wow crowds with mid-tier opposition in tournaments while I'm doing it. Been happily smitten with my Ragnell ever since.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Wario

Wario is Funny and his simple attacks and comfortable physics make me stick to him.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I was obsessed with the Yoshis ever since I was a very, very young kid, so they were the character I played most often in SSB64.

It helps that they're still one of my favorite fictional species, period, and just plain useful fighters.

As for my other mains...
  • Mario:64 and Luigi:Brawl are easy to get used to.
  • Though I'm embarrassed by the fans, I like Charizard, so that's why I use him. It helps that I know he's returning.
  • I love teleporting all over the place and then hitting hard with Mewtwo:M, Zelda:M, Goku:SSF2, and Black Mage:SSF2. It's so ****ing satisfying.
  • I reluctantly experimented with Fox:M... And I just couldn't stop. There's a reason he's the gold standard.

Last edited:

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
I'm all about the insanely powerful attacks that give you half a second to see the opponent stunned before a huge send-off.
Ness really delivers these with PK Flash and PKT2.

And Ivysaur was just a pleasant surprise. I love that f-tilt, n-air, and bullet seed.
P.S. check out that adorable left/right taunt.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
My mains are probably Kirby, Toon Link, Meta Knight, and Captain Falcon. I like them all because they all are fast and somewhat powerful. I'm not a fan of slow characters like Bowser, I'm not a fan of over-powered characters like Ganondorf, and I'm not a fan of weaklings like Jigglypuff. Kirby and Captain Falcon are great with special moves, and Meta Knight and Toon Link have good regular attacks. And it helps I'm a huge Kirby fan. As for DeDeDe...eh, he's alright.

ChaosNeo45

Smash Rookie
Anyone have a particular reason that they main their character?
In most fighting games I main a character not on fighting style, but on a character that I find curious, appealing or original.
When it comes to Smash I'm very familiar with most of the characters. In this case I choose my absolute favorite. I have always loved the DK games, so I would always pick DK in 64.
When Melee came out I was still picking DK. When I finally unlocked Marth, I didn't know who he was. That was until I saw he came from Fire Emblem.
Believe it or not my aunt is Japanese, and when she moved to the NYC she brought her Super Famicom and her games, one of which being FE 3. I played that game, despite it being in Japanese, because it was really amusing to see my units move around and sometimes Marth's portrait would appear.
So I've been picking Marth ever since because I have a nostalgic feeling with him. He takes me back to when I was 5 and my aunt would be helping me move my units on the screen.
So what's your story? Do you choose solely out of fighting style? Are you just a big fan of Zelda? Or is there another reason?

I play Like because he is a power house but also because he fights for his freinds lol

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
64: None
Melee: Pikachu, I like pikachu
Brawl: Pikachu, I like pikachu and it was my first game. I never even played close to competitive till a few months ago and he my first character and I stuck through it with him. Learning a bunch of stuff and is really perfect for me to use
PM: Lucas/Toon Link: I starting to back off on Lucas since his tether is getting a bit nerfed, but I'll definitely use him for friendlies some match ups I don't like for TL and for doubles. Lucas is actually really fun to play. Toon link was a character I had wanted to use in brawl but just couldn't quite get tooooo good with him, but PM fixed that for me, though I'm still new, he feels really good and his play style just makes sense to me.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
For Brawl, I used Ness, Lucas, Toon Link and Falco the most out of the rest of the roster.
Falco stuck with me as my set Brawl main in the end and to this day, he's a blast to use. Plus, I like his voice lol

"hanns awf my prei"

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I play the characters I like the designs and the series they come from. Samus, Zamus, Marth, Ike, sometimes Sheik are some of the ones I play the most.

I also have a blast playing Jigglypuff and Meta Knight, but I don't usually because my OCD gets in the way :p

Thor

Smash Champion
So my short story on this.

Smash 64: I am terrible (like 7 years old, don't even know that there's a down+B at the time), and this awesome dude named Captain Falcon with this really strong attack where he yells "Falcon - PAWNCH!" is said every time. It's also the only way I can KO since I can't do smash attacks at the time. He's my guy.

Later when I come back to the game, I like his uair combos and don't mind his mediocre recovery (and as it turns out, they're all bad if you're playing the best), so I put him down as my main. Don't get to play the game often enough though.

Melee: Similar issue, but with Link's up+B because his recovery is better and he's easier to control (still can't do smashes but understand directions = different attacks) was like 12 years old maybe. Game is fun but I'm bad at it, would love to play Falco because he's super cool but I suck at him (dies easily, falls way too fast).

Come back, my Link is getting bodied, people at a Smashfest are like, "Start now, play Fox" and I'm like "I have zero tech skill", then I realized I could at least jump out of shine and do a bair, nair, or dair. So I main Falco, and have gotten much less sucky with him. I also still bring out the Link sometimes.

Brawl: I thought Falco was cool still (this was before all the "coming back" stuff) and played him for kicks. At our school, FFAs are the way to go (since tons of noobs want in, it gets more in at a time), and I'm better than the rest so I get 2v1'd a lot. Pikachu's dsmash and thunder are perfect answers, and I like the character, so I switch.

When I come back understanding more, I still enjoy both a lot, but Pikachu has a strong MK MU (at least for an MK MU it's strong) and fairs better [slightly] against a few characters like ICs. Falco is a backup I will use easily (especially against Olimar and Marth, he'll also come out against ZSS, MK on FD if I think I need a change/got bodied, Snake if I don't feel able to land the Pikachu CG, and pretty much any MU where I just lost or feel uncomfortable using Pikachu, since Falco bodies low tiers better than Pikachu). I play Falco on Wi-Fi more than Pikachu, because I feel Falco is easier to play in slight to moderate lag (in heavy lag Pikachu's actually just as easy, but I don't know why it feels like that).

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Mario is my main for every single game, Smash Bros. and spin-offs all alike. My using Mario goes back to the mid-90's when I first picked up a video game controller. We had Super Mario Kart for the SNES and my 3 older brothers had already picked their main drivers and secondaries, so the only two characters left for me to choose from were Mario and Peach. Honestly, had that not happened, I would have picked Luigi and Bowser because green was my favorite color and Bowser looked awesome, but they were already taken, and because I didn't want to have a girl character (Peach, I was a kid), I solo-ed Mario from that point on and stuck with him. Since then, Mario has been my main character in every single game, Smash Bros. included. Whether low tier or whatever, I will mainly solo him no matter what.

Loyalty and consistency are satisfactory and victory in my opinion. XD

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Smash 64:
Mario is my favorite fictional character of all time period, and luckily he was the best and most fun character for me to use. Luigi and Captain Falcon would be my secondaries, but Mario is always my primary.

Melee:
In my opinion, Mario was at his absolute best in Melee. He's still easy to use, he's still fun to use and is without a doubt my main. But I love playing a lot of characters, like Captain Falcon is my other main (which, he's also at his absolute best in Melee as well) and Dr. Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, and Pikachu are all secondaries for me.

Brawl:
I have no main in Brawl... like... I really don't. I just play as the characters I like, because Mario was seriously lacking in the game it was painful for him not to be my best this time around, and Cap is... well he's okay too. Maybe Falco or Pikachu would be the closest thing to a main I have, but Cap is who I put there simply because, well... he's Cap.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Nobody said that, brah. You were just complaining about Mario not being as "good" - I assume you're talking about viability - when in fact, Falcon is also in the F-ailure tier, when you describe him as "okay".

No hate on low tiers from me. I like playing Falcon, though I'm no good with him. But that wasn't the point I was getting at.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Nobody said that, brah. You were just complaining about Mario not being as "good" - I assume you're talking about viability - when in fact, Falcon is also in the F-ailure tier, when you describe him as "okay".

No hate on low tiers from me. I like playing Falcon, though I'm no good with him. But that wasn't the point I was getting at.
No, I'm not talking about viability... I'm saying that Mario wasn't as good in Brawl for me, and he was harder to use, and it's all mostly due to the fact he had the F.L.U.D.D. move rather than his tornado.

In fact, I didn't even know he was "low" tier until after I already decided that he was worse to me.

Last edited:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If you say "seriously lacking", was I supposed to know that you don't like tiny moveset changes instead of severe lack of viability?

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If you say "seriously lacking", was I supposed to know that you don't like tiny moveset changes instead of severe lack of viability?
Well, it was your assumption to make.

Seriously though, I'm not very good that change through me off :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom