• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do You Love Smash?

electricSprites

Smash Rookie
NNID
alphryd
3DS FC
2294-4781-6234
Bruh, in what other game will pikachu, Kirby,and Yoshi would fight each other?

It's a fighting game that can be totally fun and competitively insane at the same time, it's beautiful.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'm sucker crossover mash-ups. And there are few bigger then Smash Bros.

It doesn't hurt that its gameplay is rock solid.
Basically this. I love crossovers. Also prior to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, there was absolutely nothing even close to being like Smash Bros. It was unique. Unique in the same vein that the Katamari series is unique. You can't get a similar experience elsewhere. That's what really makes the series special.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Why I love Smash as a game:

I fell in love with Melee when it was released (having loved Smash 64 prior), not only as a Nintendo game, but as an engine. No matter what Smash game comes out or any other game for that matter, nothing will be as perfect to me as Melee is.

Melee is gaming miracle to me. It's on par with SCBW, DOTA, and MVC2 in the sense that it's just so ridiculously deep and intricate, and the creators really had no intention of it being this way. Every little nook and cranny about competitive Melee is just so cohesive and intricately interwoven, and it all exists with no prior intention of the outcome. It's ridiculous.

Certain moves having just the right amount of hitstun to allow for creative and free style combos, directional influence where the most subtle of differences can alter combos for both the comboer and the comboee to allow for new and exciting things every time the game is played. Little things like how certain characters ended up having such beautifully cohesive kits, like Falcon for example. Having the fastest and longest dash in the game allowing him to have an amazing dash dance for a bait and punish play style, having the movement needed to tech chase with moves like stomp and knee to punish techs because of his amazing dash, and the fact that teching exists in the first place and with multiple mix up options. The way that his throws, nair, stomp, uair, bair, raptor boost, everything just combos so perfectly with each other, and they can all combo into knee. It's nothing short of amazing.

Also, I know most people circlejerk Melee fans about wavedashing, but it actually is so insanely significant. Being able to jump above a platform and airdodging down onto it to cut off your hype, wavedashing during your dash dancing and wavelanding across platforms for increased mix ups and movement, wavelanding from the edge, wavedashing out of shield. Speaking of shields, being able to shield DI, tilt your shield, and shield drop. It's all so beautifully designed. It's ****ing ridiculous.

Not to mention Fox is just the perfect character to have at the top. Some may say he's a necessary evil. He's fragile, can get combo'd, edgeguarded, gimped, and chaingrabbed by pretty much the entire cast. But he has the tools to still win and be the best. Because of his weaknesses he is incredibly exciting to watch succeed and even more exciting to see lose. Because of his strengths, he's the most popular character and as a result we get to see a lot of Fox, which means more combos and gimps. At the same time, he is an extremely technical character so not everyone has the capabilities to play him, especially at top level. If Fox didn't exist, Jigglypuff would 100% be the dominating character. A character that, when played optimally, is very slow paced, and would require almost no technical effort so she would become incredibly popular and Melee would grow stale very fast. Fox makes Melee fun for both the players and the spectators. I know I started to rabble on there, but I can really talk about Melee forever. The deeper I get, the better player I become, and the more I discover, only makes me love this game even more.

Why I love the Smash Community.

Aside from the game itself, I love my Smash Community in my region up here in Alberta, Canada. Upwards to a 100 players at each event on a weekly basis. Smashers coming together to put on an amazing tournament with the lead of a handful of community leaders and tournament organizers for game we are all passionate about. Thousands of dollars in cash prizes split amongst the top 3/5/8/16, even more have been donated to charities. I've spent over 8 years as a tournament organizer and community leader for local-sized, provincial-sized, and national-sized tournaments. I've made so many long lasting relationships and friendships with people I would never have met otherwise.

These are the reasons I love Smash.

tl;dr : super smash brothers melee for the nintendo game cube and friendships

Last edited:

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
It´s such an unique fighting game! I mean, instead of memorizing a lot of button sequences, you just press a button and the character does that move. Second, you can pit Fox against Falco and have a lot of fun!!!

Chinaux

Smash Ace
It's such a popular game where I can connect with anyone about. It's a great game. It's just something that is a way to meet people and have fun with them despite not knowing a thing about them. It's sort of like League to me, where I can just ask someone if they play, and if they do, we can become friends really easily since we have something to talk about.

And because of :4zss: ;)

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I was trying to "sell" smash to my friend the other day, who isnt a big fighter game fan, but has played them.

He didnt really have any knowledge or experience of smash, so I wanted to sell its more unique points. Hes like me, and older gamer, he began competitive gaming around '02 when I met him (i'd been on the tournament scene for 4 or 5 years then - not with fighters, at the time I was a FPS player). So I knew the competitive nature of smash would appeal to him, and the access of a 3DS would be right up his street.

Unlike other fighters, there is no set combo imputs, everything is the same for all fighters, to varying degrees of success or failure. If I FAIR with X and Y I'll have different results, but I dont need different inputs to execute the move.

As such Smash is far more intuitive a game. And I think that is massively appealing and rewarding.

You can of course (and should) read up to help improve and speed up the learning curve.

I think it did work on him, and hes' likely getting a 3DS this weekend!

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think I love smash simply because it was the first competitive gmae got good at. Its the franchise I grew up with. I remember after high school I would go to the arcade to play melee and I was the guy everyone wanted to beat. I have so much memories of the game that it has a special place in my heart.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Basically this. I love crossovers. Also prior to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, there was absolutely nothing even close to being like Smash Bros. It was unique. Unique in the same vein that the Katamari series is unique. You can't get a similar experience elsewhere. That's what really makes the series special.
Yup Yup, I agree with you both. Seeing a lot of my favorite characters in a fighting game together is like a dream come true, especially for a kid who'd always argue as to who was stronger, Sonic vs Mario, etc. The character roster is a huge strength towards the appeal of Smash Bros. Eventually, I even came to appreciate how different its mechanics were from other fighting games as well.

Dyce

Smash Cadet
Definitely the unique concept of the entire game. The % mechanic is so different compared to other fighting games. The traditional health meter is so finite. However, with a % meter, one can survive even after getting punished time after time. The mindgames are so fascinating in Smash.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Because of :rosalina:. Seeing her in Smash 4 has made me love Smash even more than I ever was before. lol

Well anyways, I fell in love with the series after my cousin introduced me to the original game, let me played a couple of rounds and had a tremendous amount of fun with it and I would then borrow the game from her every once in a while. Since then, I've become a fan of the series just like everyone else here. It's such a unique fighting game in which you bring in characters like Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu and have them beat the crap out of each other until they get launched off the screen like shooting stars. I was never really big on fighting games until Smash Bros. became a part of my life and it became such a breathtaking experience for me and my whole family.

And in my personal opinion: Smash Bros. > Mario Kart.

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
I think how unique this game is really stands out to me. There's so much to do, whether it's alone or with friends. No battle is quite like the other and even fighting my friends with the same character time and time again can be fun because we keep learning about the game and we never give up.

Of course, pocketing trees is also a plus.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I love the game for a few reasons. For one, it was my favorite childhood game. I loved the idea of playing with a vast amount of characters and being able to adventure around different places and beat the **** out of other characters I hated like Dr. Mario. I usually played it by myself as a child since my cousins or sisters didn't like the game (Atleast that's what I think).

My other reason is because how complex and (this is an exaggeration) perfect the game is. Like other people have said many times, it is soo interesting that a party game made by Nintendo has dozens of advanced techniques, glitches and exploits that makes the game competitive. All of these techniques along with the characters allow every person to find a character that suits their playstyle and personality. The reason I play Marth was not only because he was my favorite character as a kid, his movement is smooth and elegant as well as clean cut. Marth also has the cool and quiet aura around him.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
The community is so great, i'm 14 and nobody thinks anything about it. It is one place that throws everything out of the window. Smash can be a very light easy game, but you flip it ever and it can be very competitive and precise. It is the only fighting game I like, it is very unique. When I was young I didn't know who characters like Kirby, Marth, Fox, Ice climbers, G&W, Lucas, Snake were. The franchise opened the gates to many new games that I love.

If it wasn't for Brawl, Kid Icarus: Uprising would have never become my favorite game.

jaytorgator

Smash Cadet
I think the reason I love Smash is because of a quote I once heard about it. It went along the lines of, "Most fighting games are like classical music. Combos are all planned out, and you just have to time things correctly. Smash Bros is a bit different... It's a lot more like jazz music. Improvisation, and playing your way out of your mistakes." Smash is a fun fighting game, as opposed to UMvC3 or Mortal Kombat or something. My favorite 2D Fighter is Skullgirls, but even that still feels like I'm just inputting the same buttons every time I play.

Smash is so much more... Different. It's unique. It requires you to think creatively, and instead of giving you BnB combos, you get a set of moves that don't cancel into each other (excluding Lucario from PM) and a percentage system that sends them further each time you hit them. Add in L-Cancels, CC, DI, Wavedashing, B-Reversing, DACUS, and pretty much any other advanced tech you can think of, and Smash becomes a beautifully complex game with a lot of options.

I think my favorite part about Smash though is playing against other people. As fun as it is to 4 Stock a CPU, nothing feels more exciting than to go into a fight not knowing what to expect. I play with some friends regularly, and each time, what worked in one fight does not work in the next. It's constantly changing, and Smash gives you the tools you need in order to adapt. In the end, it comes more down to a fight of who can read their opponent better, and, let's be honest, what feeling matches the sensation of a zero-to-death stock?

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I've loved smash for 2 reasons in my life so far. The first one is that it is pretty much my dream game. I mean nothing is cooler when your like 5 then being able to beat the crap out of the Nintendo characters you hate with the ones you can't get enough of.plus as far as casual play it was never hard to find friends to play with you and the learning curve is extremely easy for new comers. And about 3ish months ago I stumbled apon a video series called the smash documentry which changed my entire opinion on smash. I had always known there had been a competitive smash scene but I figured it had mostly died off long ago with melee but the second thing is that I realized how deep this game can be. I mean smash is one first games I ever remember playing and I was just nothing compared to the people in the documentry. So sense then I've started practicing a lot and fighting competitive players and it's honsetly the most fun I've ever had with a competitive game(I'm looking at you cod and Halo) and granted I may never be as good as someone like ken(in his prime) but hey I can dream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom