• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do YOU like Roy?

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Almost nobody considers him good in Melee. He's garbage tier, I won't sugarcoat it. I feel like he's a good counterpick character for Fox, Captain Falcon, the Mario Bros, Ganon, Pikachu, the Links, and that he's better at the Yoshi MU than Marth, but his other MU's hurt too hard. A lot of his meta has yet to be developed and he still has a lot of potential, though. Neo was the only Roy to really have a truly solid foundation and truly play him correctly, he made dat $$$ at MLG primarily going Roy. Sethlon developed cool stuff for Roy and did some cool things in his matches, but I feel like he's not the face of Roy that'll advance the character as needed. I also feel that people need to build more off the foundation Neo showed us and experiment on their own with recent meta development from places like the 20GX Facebook group and G&W group on other characters and see how it applies to Roy, as well as testing out new things that may be successful. Just my two cents.

I know that he's not good but what I was trying to say was that although he's not high teir he's still an ok character, his meta game is just really under-developed. Which a few of us are trying to fix by helping each other out on how we could most optimally play teh ph1r3 boy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chronobound is the reason why i like Roy, before that i saw him as a forgotten veteran with no chance.
But after reading his post about Roy and his fanbase, he grew up in my heart.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I've always liked Marth since I started Melee. I continued to use him in Brawl, though Snake kinda tool his place after a few years. Now in Smash 4, I continue to use Marth. Roy is identical to Marth, just more rush down in my perspective. Just due to their similarities in moveset, I use Roy. Plus, his design looks pretty awesome this time around! Though, I kinda wish he had gotten the Awakening design, but this one is totally fine with me.

Twewy

Smash Lord
While I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem, I always enjoyed Roy in Melee, but I dropped him after learning that most of his hitboxes were weird as hell and didn't connect (Anyone got that .gif of Roy dash attacking straight through Falco?). When he came back in PM I tried him out again and enjoyed his changes enough to mess around with him a bit. When his files were found in the Mewtwo update, at first I thought "dear god why", and hoped for the best.

Then came the DLC leak, and Nintendo Direct officially showing it. I was convinced he would be fun. So I spent $5 on him like the Nintendo sheep I am and found him to be fun and heavily buffed.

I like Roy because he's got that power to his attacks Marth lacks. When I hit a guy with my boy's sword I feel like I'm actually doing damage. Plus he's fun to combo with in 4.

TL;DR: Roy was my boy, then he wasn't, then he was, I spent $5.

HanZee

Smash Rookie
not because he da boy.......................................................................................he da man

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
i like him be cause he has a cool design is in a great game ( fire emblem binding blade) and of course the flaming sword

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I like, no, love Roy because he's an example of how to handle clones right. He feels like a completely different Roy that the one that was in Melee, and it'd be a huge display of ignorance to call him a clone anymore. Why couldn't Ganondorf and Toon Link get this treatment?
And plus, he is swag as a ************ in this game.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I like, no, love Roy because he's an example of how to handle clones right. He feels like a completely different Roy that the one that was in Melee, and it'd be a huge display of ignorance to call him a clone anymore. Why couldn't Ganondorf and Toon Link get this treatment?
And plus, he is swag as a ************ in this game.
Ganon is the same because he was in Brawl

Top Bottom