• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do we get mad playing smash?

DCW

Smash Apprentice
I know this post is very old, but I'd like to add to the conversation:

Lately, I feel that I have retracted my developing mindset in staying calm and collected during losing situations in Smash 4. The past couple of weeks--even a month--has been one of the hardest times of my life, and I think the stress from outside the realm of the game had unfortunately manifested itself in post-set rage or frustration.

The worst part about this stress was that I had to cut off a group of friends that finally admitted that they grew so annoyed and tired of my emotional habits that they wished I'd talk to other friends instead of them about my issues, in and out of the game.

The thing is, these friends weren't the best kind of support group, either, as they constantly **** on me for either using a high tier or not being good enough because of my gender. And I think this was where the majority of my in-game frustration came from: the fact that I constantly felt the need to prove myself because I'm not a guy playing Smash 4, but--to quote one of these individuals--a girl that's "biologically" slower in reacting or adapting mid-battle.

Smash 4 has unfortunately become a game filled with terrible memories that I've finally been pushed to the breaking point of dropping it from my life. I felt belittled, left behind, and even dwelled in the anxiety that my former friends didn't believe in me because of my gender. How could a girl possibly get good in a video game? was the constant question nagging me and subtly biting me every time one of these individuals threw trash talk at me.

Long story short, the main reason I got frustrated or angry at the game was because of the kind of negativity that surrounded me, that fueled the pressure of trying to "git gud."
Probably a good call to not hang out with those people. I hope you can find some friendlier smashers to play with!

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
It's a competition and your goal is to win, when you are defeated, you failed your goal, it's kinda like the same reason why sports players are upset after they lose a game.

FoxE

Smash Cadet
You wake up, you realize it's the day for the tournament. The smash event you've been waiting for. The day that you were preparing for so long. you pick up your controller and head out. As you head over there, you think about all the match ups and characters. You finally reach your destination. You get there early enough to have some friendlies. You lose every single one of them, you immediately feel your chest sinking. You feel horrible. You feel like you've done nothing, you can't do this.You start to tell yourself how "you're the worst player there is." "There's nothing going." "You'll always be the same." You feel frustrated and upset with the game, you cannot control yourself. You cannot hold it in. You take it out on others around you. You quickly unplug your controller and leave without looking at your opponent in the eye. The tournament start, 4 stocked on the first set. You leave home, almost with a tear. People tell you "It's just a game lol" "Don't take it so personally" you set the controller down on your desk for another day.

I take Smash to heart, I get more sad than mad. I'm the only person to blame for my losses and if I always lose. It's very easy to see why I'd get salty.
I think that's how most people think. But that's me. It's hard for those people to not get salty or upset. Personally, the best thing in the world is when a player says 'It's okay dude. You'll get better." Like YOU don't know how much that cheers me up and makes me feel better after a loss. One of my gigantic pet peeves is when the only words people say is "gg." Okay, ending it here. I'm just rambling.

Last edited:

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
I feel like the real ragers come out when they either don't like or don't respect their opponent, or they believe the game is unfair (certain match ups/certain "OP" moves or tactics).

Often, these same people gloat or get a smug satisfaction from winning.

Top Bottom