• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people want their main to be high tier?

Tiddlywink

Smash Rookie
I see people in character forums saying "<my main> for top tier!"
Does anyone understand this? The way I see it, if you like playing as a character that is commonly viewed as having an advantage over others, then you can claim less victories to personal skill. Who would want that?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I know I don't. Part of the reason tiers are really lame. But I guess it's more optimistic than "So and so for bottom tier!"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, with some characters they get recognition,

such as the OPPOSITE of Mewtwo, who is now apparently known as a weakling for NOTHING other than his tier position...The CHARACTER Mewtwo himself is NOT a weakling

Johnny Smash

Smash Cadet
People want their main to be top tier because they generally like choosing an "underdog" and have fun trying to develop techniques with them to bring them to top tier. It's really just the underdog thing. I've learned through other games that once your underdog actually *is* top tier and everyone is playing him those kind of people lose interest and move to another character.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Its like Guns vs Swords i suppose. Swords may take more skill to wield when compared to a handgun. What would you bring to a war?

Pi

Smash Hero
Because people got fooled into thinking that tiers (how we make them) are a ranking of the characters ability, when in actuality it's more based on the players who have contributed in tournaments.

They think playing a high tier character will make them win more, or something.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
because a lot of people dont want to be looked down on because their main sucks. others however want their main low tier so when they beat you, its that much more humiliating

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
The way I see it, if you like playing as a character that is commonly viewed as having an advantage over others, then you can claim less victories to personal skill.
Well, Im accually going to combine two of my previous posts in other topics because they fit this one so well...

Only scrubs who are sick of losing to you over and over will complain about the character you use. They have to complain about something and the opponent's character is the only different variable in the fight, so it's the only thing they CAN complain about, but it's still a dumb argument. If they think it's so easy to play as a certain character, then they should do it also, but they don't because they know they're wrong and they would lose. I play as Meta Knight because he is my favorite character in the game, make no mistake, and people will complain about it every now and then, but is it going to stop me from playing as him? Heck no. It ALL comes down to personal skill, one way or the other.

People will respect your main if you win with them. Same goes for all the other characters on the roster.

And tiers are hardly written in stone as "the only way to win is to choose a higher tier than your opponent". Remember how everyone thought Ike was garbage tier initailly? Well now that many people are playing as him and learning his strategies, he is suddenly a good character. Nothing about Ike changed in that time, but people learned new things through testing and playing. And it only takes one great player to show everyone else how good a character can be.

Pi

Smash Hero
So says the guy who joined later than me.
Perhaps you misunderstood my intention. I was trying to imply that completely ignoring people's posts is a common happening around here, and was hitting on the fact that you seemed suprised that someone did it to you.

I wasn't trying to insult you.

:chuckle:

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Perhaps you misunderstood my intention. I was trying to imply that completely ignoring people's posts is a common happening around here, and was hitting on the fact that you seemed suprised that someone did it to you.

I wasn't trying to insult you.

:chuckle:
I completely understood, and no, I am not normally ignored, as you yourself are demonstrating.

/endconvo

Lithos

Smash Cadet
I think one reason people campaign their characters for high/top tier is simply because they want to be able to say "haha, turns out my main is better than yours" to their friends. While this is a fairly stupid notion and by no means makes the player any better, it's just part of human nature to want the best. Other people will choose the character they like most and then try to be the best with that character. All part of being a competitive game :laugh:

Link he come to town...

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one in this thread who wants their main to be fairly high up but not top tier, so that they are not overused, but at the same time not looked down upon. Captain falcon was pretty high up, but i knew very few people who used him, made me like using him even more.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
People want their main to be top tier because they generally like choosing an "underdog" and have fun trying to develop techniques with them to bring them to top tier. It's really just the underdog thing. I've learned through other games that once your underdog actually *is* top tier and everyone is playing him those kind of people lose interest and move to another character.
A character cannot be an underdog and high/top tier. It's just that their metagame might not be completely fleshed out yet.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
For those of us who choose a character based on playstyle rather than the games they have been in, IE what we have fun playing, it shows good instincts. I chose Pit about a month before the japanese release when I realized he was a combination of Toon Link(MY melee fun/favorite character) with a bit of Peach and Marth mixed in(My Melee mains) And he is the character i enjoy playing the most.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
Tiers give fanboys justification to say my character is better than your character.

I’m sure they have a purpose in competitive play but I don’t know what that purpose is.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
ITT: buthur- nope. I can't say it, sadly enough. *sigh*

Besides, I think "X for top tier!" is more a way to say you support the character, than anything else. If, of course, they are actually debating as to whether or not Pichu should be top tier, that's entirely up to them.

I for one dislike tiers as people do tend to go "wait, Marth is top tier?! cool! let's ALL USE HIM" as which happened with melee. People should choose characters based on what appeals to them, not whatever gives them the advantage.

In hindsight that may be the reason I've never come more than 2nd in a tournament, oh well, I don't need more ego boosting!

Roller

Smash Legend
If your character is a top tier you can't lose to a low tier..Duh guys. It's eazy breazy lemon squeazy to beat mid tier with high tier. Don't you guy's know anything?

see what i did thar?

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Tiers apply to people whom want to be the what the masses think is the best character in the game so people saying "my main" for top tire are pretty well saying that they hope their character is top tire so that tey wont have to switch when the "tire" list is officially decided upon because they want to be the "best" character in the game. I personally would just stick with the characters i like.

Dark Anakin

Smash Rookie
I hate people that just choose a higher tier character just to win. A couple of my friends do that, especially with Snake, and whenever he wins he laughs at everyone else and calls them crap and says that he is the best. Play with another character and he gets owned. SO IRRITATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roller

Smash Legend
Not everyone wants their main to be high tier, people just want their char. to be good.
That really depends on the players skill, tiers only have to do with the characters matchups, the character's ability really changes everytime someone different picks up the controller...

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I hate people that just choose a higher tier character just to win. A couple of my friends do that, especially with Snake, and whenever he wins he laughs at everyone else and calls them crap and says that he is the best. Play with another character and he gets owned. SO IRRITATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what a great friend you have lol

King Axel

Smash Apprentice
Though I agree that tiers aren't everything, I still believe that they definitely mean something. For example, the lower tier characters usually have a harder time fighting against a larger variety of characters as opposed to the higher tier characters. In Melee, Bowser was much more difficult to become accustomed to (and generally play well as) because he was so slow; many characters could take advantage of this quality. This can be compared to, say, a Melee Fox, who had quick, powerful attacks and lots of combo possibilities. There are of course, good Bowser players, including you-know-who, but even before tier lists, I'd be willing to bet that players thought more highly of Fox than Bowser, in terms of level ground and gameplay.

I think it's a shame that people look down on high tier character users for choosing "the easy way out", because it's simply not true. Just because my character is up high on a list doesn't mean I don't fight hard. That said, I am a casual player, so take my opinion as you will.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
there are two reasons
1. silliness. presumably you like the character you choose to main, so you want to promote him; being high on the tier list is seen as a honor for your character and thus for yourself
2. some people will probably switch character if the tier list "announces" that their character is "unplayable"

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
how can anybody have a main in this game at all?

In SSB i mained Pikachu and Mario. I was a Mario main in SSBM, and I secondaried my one-time mains Marth and Pikachu.

But Brawl? I would have to say Sonic, Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Pikachu, Marth, Ike, Wario, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Meta-Knight, Diddy, and Snake are all 'mains' for me.

chansen

Smash Lord
Ive always despised most of the top tier characters. I was a weej main in melee. But i cant not like g&w in brawl, and lucas is pretty **** to say the least. id say im a lucas main with a flair for every other character excluding sonic, mario, and snake.

/I hate video game idols.

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
people dont think smart. its better if your character is low tier because people expect that character to be used less and thus do not prepare themselves to fight against that low tier character as they would to fight a frequently used character.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Ive always despised most of the top tier characters. I was a weej main in melee. But i cant not like g&w in brawl, and lucas is pretty **** to say the least. id say im a lucas main with a flair for every other character excluding sonic, mario, and snake.

/I hate video game idols.
Lucas is probably going to be high tier fyi...

I don't really care what tier rank my characters are because I will never be good enough for that to matter. The maximun potential in tourney of my characters does not matter to me because I will never be pro. Maybe if I become pro then I will care.

I don't really want a million people playing my character though. I'd rather not have dittos, dittos with most characters annoy me.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
how can anybody have a main in this game at all?

In SSB i mained Pikachu and Mario. I was a Mario main in SSBM, and I secondaried my one-time mains Marth and Pikachu.

But Brawl? I would have to say Sonic, Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Pikachu, Marth, Ike, Wario, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Meta-Knight, Diddy, and Snake are all 'mains' for me.
LOL I had the same problem at first. I always wanted to main MK because of his pure awesomeness when he was first announced in the E3 trailer, but as more characters were announced, it became hard to choose (wolf, olimar, sonic, Diddy).

When the game came out I initailly played as MK but I had trouble with his playstyle and I became a lot better with Pit and Sonic. But a week later there was a tournament (momocon) and so I really picked up MK that morning and practiced with him for hours. Now MK is my main and thank god I've gotten past that ^_^

Top Bottom