• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people use Fair on stage?

Mith_

Smash Champion
When I see DK vids, many people use Fair while on stage as an attack. I wonder why they always do this, it is so laughably slow and easily punishable. Wouldn't Nair be a better option?

Edit: And Dair too.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Because it looks Baller!!!

Seriously though, Nair would be the best option, and the least lag'iest.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you don't think the F-air is slow, you're crazy. It's significantly slower than a lot of smash attacks, and I mean slow smash attacks. And from what I've seen you almost always if not always have landing lag with this attack.

It does have "combo" starter usability though because it's a meteor (keep in mind, meteor smashes in general have pretty good hitstun), and the non-sweetspot has pretty good power.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
i said it isn't that slow, it comes out on frame 25, which isn't unlandably slow, and eats most airdodges. in comparison dair comes out on frame 18 and is not active for nearly as long

learn to read before posting

Mith_

Smash Champion
I dunno, I just cringe everytime I see a DK use a Fair on stage and miss, then get punished bad for it. Dair is even worst.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
DK is so big, even if he does get punished, its like a scratch on his belly.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i said it isn't that slow, it comes out on frame 25, which isn't unlandably slow, and eats most airdodges. in comparison dair comes out on frame 18 and is not active for nearly as long

learn to read before posting
I dunno, you're not really going to be using this often on stage though.

I mean it's wonderful every so often when you do land it just because of the raw power, but on stage, you're usually better off with different attacks.

hagendaasmaser

Smash Rookie
Don't use it on the stage

/end thread
If only it were that easy...

f-air can be useful on stage if used correctly. Its shear power can kill at decent percents (if hit sideways off the stage) in a situation where, perhaps, your opponent is recovering from a laggy move or misplaced an up-b and were free-falling onto a platform (like bf's). If sweet spotted it can lead to some combos and such. Yes, it is a rarely used move on stage...and is certainly not always the best choice...but it's not a matter of "Don't use this attack on the stage ever." Such a statement can be saved for things like doing down-b in the air.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I mostly only use it as an accident because i was trying to do bair, but its not horrible, and it does nice damage. And its like, his third or fourth strongest KO move i think

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Really? No one’s said this yet? Okay …

Fight a good DK and you’ll see what I mean.

And don’t let me fair you or it’s over.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I see good DKs (Bum and some others whos name escape me atm) Fair/Dair on stage and miss. Then get hit.

Yes it is a great move when it connects (I've seen it connect, its great.) but the risk =/= reward. Even if it does it with the lack of hit stun it is hard to follow up with something because you still get lag from it.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I don't use it lol(that much maybe once a match)

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
It's fun to interchange it with Uair when my opponent is above me, it actually has more vertical range XD Also the manliest move in DK's aerial arsenal. Fun to watch your opponent's shield flee in terror. Srsly tho, works well when interchanged with Dair for the timing mindgames. Also good to fastfall, your opponent will be surprised when he dies off the side instead of straight down ^ ^

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
playing DK in melee is so weird hah
his moves are slower than they are in brawl, even though melee is faster
i was never that good at melee anyways
:/

Top Bottom