• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people think Palutena was a waste of the chatter slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm actually not sure if she is that important to Nintendo's history. Hear me out:

She's not exactly fleshed out in the first two Kid Icarus games, nor a particularly iconic instantly recognizable character nor in the first KI did she have a role outside of the Peach/Zelda/Pauline archetype. Okay, she cursed Medusa and there's some backstory in the booklet, but her basic role is to meet Pit at the end of the game.

Overall she was pretty unimportant, unrecognizable and fairly forgettable until Sakurai came along and fleshed her out in Uprising.

Do I think she's a waste of development time? A little, but only due to all the additional customs that needed making. The character certainly has a fanbase now and thus is not a waste of a 'character slot'.
I grant you that, but I do think it's worth stressing the point that she is the central character of the series. Arguably her role was largely peripheral in the first two games, but it doesn't change the fact that, for all intents and purposes, she's the essential foundation upon which the series is built.

I'm also pretty sure her custom specials took little to no time to implement. The basis for them was already floating around in Sakurai's head, of course, so it's just a matter of writing them up and putting them in.

You're right to point that out, though, and I respect your opinions.

I do love a good civilised exchange of perspectives~

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
B is a projectile, side B is a reflector, down B is a counter, jab hits multiple times, and downsmash hits both sides. From a gameplay perspective, it's all been done.
Oh geez. So it's basically what I said-- You're upset that the recovery is a recovery, the neutral-B is ranged, etc.

Would you complain if the jab hit only once like Ganon's? You complain because it hits multiple times. Perhaps it should be ranged-- wait, no, Megaman. How about we just stop making new character's altogether if there's only so many reasonable changes? I'm sure everyone would like to play a Smash with just Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh geez. So it's basically what I said-- You're upset that the recovery is a recovery, the neutral-B is ranged, etc.

Would you complain if the jab hit only once like Ganon's? You complain because it hits multiple times. Perhaps it should be ranged-- wait, no, Megaman. How about we just stop making new character's altogether if there's only so many reasonable changes? I'm sure everyone would like to play a Smash with just Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner.
Devil's advocate: he's saying that, for a character with as much potential as Palutena, her standard specials are pretty uninspired and represent already well-represented special move archetypes.

My own perspective: that's kind of the point, though, since she's meant to have a balanced and essential moveset as standard and a variety of weird and wonderful ulterior moves as alternate specials.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
^I feel like Palutena's problem in that regard is that she's designed around a feature that might not see a whole lot of use in the end. Online randoms don't allow customs and tournament organizers are finding it hard to have every custom unlocked for each console due to how kind of tedious to unlock they are. Then there are people who are against the idea of custom moves in general and turn them off in their rooms (my online friends are kinda against them...). So as a result, Palutena is just left out in the cold with her not-so-special...specials, and everyone looks down upon her for it.

It's really saddening to see a character deprived of his/her special mechanics. Imagine not being able to use Shulk's Monado Arts or not being able to copy other fighters' abilities as Kirby.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Because every character in existence has haters. Its a natural thing. Sucks for them since she is a main stay in the Smash series. Palutena is definitely a fun character in my opinion.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
^I feel like Palutena's problem in that regard is that she's designed around a feature that might not see a whole lot of use in the end. Online randoms don't allow customs and tournament organizers are finding it hard to have every custom unlocked for each console due to how kind of tedious to unlock they are. Then there are people who are against the idea of custom moves in general and turn them off in their rooms (my online friends are kinda against them...). So as a result, Palutena is just left out in the cold with her not-so-special...specials, and everyone looks down upon her for it.

It's really saddening to see a character deprived of his/her special mechanics. Imagine not being able to use Shulk's Monado Arts or not being able to copy other fighters' abilities as Kirby.
This is true, Palutena's main gimmick is her unique customs moves, one problem, custom moves aren't allowed in online with anyone. I never use custom moves. The issue was that Sakurai decided to eat up development time giving her unique custom moves, when could have easily given her regular custom moves(variations of her specials). I think Palutena deserves to be in, Uprising warranted that the second most important Kid Icarus character got in. However Pit and Palutena should have been the only playable Kid Icarus reps. Dark Pit is understandable, I go out of my way to make sure he doesn't win a match, it also doesn't help that I hate how he plays, I probably won't be more excepting of him until I have Wolf back and I'm alot calmer,but then I still may treat him similarly.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Main problem with Palutena is that they went with really generic specials as her defualt. They could've used way more interesting ones for her standard or actually have given her moves that she used in her Uprising fight (literally all we got was the light column).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom