• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I don't know, it just makes me sad that there is so much hate on it :sadeyes:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Because people irationally think that the 3DS will make the roster small. When evidence has been provided multiple times that this is not the case. e_e The only problem with the 3DS is that it has limitations on characters such as ICs, meaning if they can't get around that problem those characters will probably jsut become single ones instead of having a AI or something like that, but they probably won't allow the Wii-U version to get held back to those limitations. People just inherently think handhelds are worse and hold back the console version no matter what. They should be glad they are even getting a console version as I believe Sakurai thought about going handheld only for a while. lol

Morbi

Scavenger
Because people irationally think that the 3DS will make the roster small. When evidence has been provided multiple times that this is not the case. e_e The only problem with the 3DS is that it has limitations on characters such as ICs, meaning if they can't get around that problem those characters will probably jsut become single ones instead of having a AI or something like that, but they probably won't allow the Wii-U version to get held back to those limitations. People just inherently think handhelds are worse and hold back the console version no matter what. They should be glad they are even getting a console version as I believe Sakurai thought about going handheld only for a while. lol
Limitations are limitations. If they tried to co-develop a game on the Ps3 and the Ps4 or the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One... there will be limitations here and there. Regardless of whether or not they are big game changing limitations. A triple A example coming out is Call of Duty Ghosts. I guarantee you the game will be held back for the current gen. We shall wait and see.

Secondly. The controls, they might be solid for a 3DS... but comparably? It is definitely something to consider. The graphics are a minor complaint. They already felt the need to bold the characters. I would hate to see what it looked like before they added the bold lines.

Another HUGE reason is play-ability. If you want to play with your friend on the 3DS, they are expected to pay about 250. If you play on a Wii U they can just come over. This is not a problem if your friends already burned 200 bucks on a 3DS. If they didn't you are screwed. I am pretty sure there will also be connectivity issues as well.

Those are my main reasons. Well aside from having to purchase a 200 dollar handheld console of course. If you think about it a Wii U is about 300 and a 3DS is about 200. The 3DS game is about 40 and the Wii U game is about 60. So 600 dollars if they were available now. That is crazy. I just pre-ordered a Ps4 with Battlefield 4 and PS plus for 500.

There are a lot of small things that snowball into a big thing. It isn't horrible. It has it's benefits. It just isn't for a lot of people.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I just feel that, since the 3DS and 3DS XL are making more sales than the Wii U Basic and Deluxe, it would be a smart move to do both versions. I also read somewhere he was going to make it a 3ds only game, so if I find where I read it, I will post the link unless mimgrim remembers where it was from.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Here's a link that says something along those lines:
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/26/sakurai-says-smash-bros-3ds-was-necessary-to-evolve-the-series/

Masahiro Sakurai, the creator behind the Super Smash Bros franchises, says that the forthcoming Nintendo 3DS version was necessary to create in order to evolve the series. Sakurai said that the 3DS version was the starting point for the next game and adding a handheld version would evolve the series enough to differentiate it from Brawl and Melee.
“At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realised the presence of several limitations.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't think we won't see a limitation on the roster, but some dual-play characters (I.E. Ice Climbers) may be limited.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
This is Nintendo we are talking about. They might not give us online, social features, etc.., but at the end of the day they diliver great playing games. The people who are hating on the game are traditionalist. I am confident that Nintendo will at least(if nothing else) figure out a way to make both versions shine.

Also some people just don't like Handhelds. Also I don't think price is that much of a problem for multiplayer. Just take a look a the pokemon series. That series thrives off o f multiplayer and no one seriously complains that it is too expensive to play with their friends.

nessokman

Smash Lord
They should be thankful its on the wii u. It was going to be a 3ds only title. And ironically the one everyone hates will sell tons more then the wii u smash.I'm thinking the only reason it is on the Wii U is because of it's horrid sales that need a boost that only AAA titles can give.

limitations are bull****. Olimar&pikmin are in.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
. Just take a look a the pokemon series. That series thrives off o f multiplayer and no one seriously complains that it is too expensive to play with their friends.
Well portable games are traditionally cheap by comparison. Not to mention that not a lot of people own a Wii U yet, so getting the "definitive" version of the new Smash for a lot of people (myself included) means also investing in a new home console, and then some good scratch to get at least 2 pro controllers to play it with. Although this game could be enough to be a massive system seller, idk.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's been confirmed by Sakurai in an interview that the roster will be exactly the same in both versions. The only limitation is how many characters they can fit in the 3DS version, meaning the roster size of the Wii U will be limited to what the 3DS version can handle. He still said he wants to put as many characters as possible, but I honestly believe we'd be lucky to have as many characters as Brawl - let alone more. I mean, the 3DS at 8GB maximum is nowhere near as big as the beastly 25GB Wii U disc, though to be fair, Brawl's disc was about 8.5 GB, and that includes all the unnecessary crap, like masterpieces and the like, so who can really say in the end?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
From the flipside to people fearing of a limited roster, 3DS-version will cut down the pointless stuff, which will probably mean more balance to the roster and even more polish done to both versions (Especially Wii U-version.)

Besides, I dunno man, but as long as I get good characters, wouldn't care less about how much we get.

In anycase, we haven't even seen so many characters as before guys and I'm betting we'll be getting less info on them. Maybe as in majority of them being only known after getting unlocked when the game's out.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's been confirmed by Sakurai in an interview that the roster will be exactly the same in both versions. The only limitation is how many characters they can fit in the 3DS version, meaning the roster size of the Wii U will be limited to what the 3DS version can handle. He still said he wants to put as many characters as possible, but I honestly believe we'd be lucky to have as many characters as Brawl - let alone more. I mean, the 3DS at 8GB maximum is nowhere near as big as the beastly 25GB Wii U disc, though to be fair, Brawl's disc was about 8.5 GB, and that includes all the unnecessary crap, like masterpieces and the like, so who can really say in the end?
Brawls disk was like 7 GBs, meaning 3DS could hold ALL of Brawl and then some and the roster was NOT the reason Brawl took up sop much space. Brawl took up so much space because of 2 things, SSE and poor compression. Characters don't take up allot of space at all. Games like SF4 and Tekkem pn the 3DS has like 40+ characters and only used like 2-3 GBs. So the 3DS will NOT hold back the roster. This has been said so many times. Pleas get your facts straight. >_>

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Brawls disk was like 7 GBs, meaning 3DS could hold ALL of Brawl and then some and the roster was NOT the reason Brawl took up sop much space. Brawl took up so much space because of 2 things, SSE and poor compression. Characters don't take up allot of space at all. Games like SF4 and Tekkem pn the 3DS has like 40+ characters and only used like 2-3 GBs. So the 3DS will NOT hold back the roster. This has been said so many times. Pleas get your facts straight. >_>
Excuse you, but I have gotten my facts straight. What SF4 and Tekken don't have compared to Smash Bros. are the large amounts of content (including unnecessary content) that takes up a lot of space, like Adventure Mode, Trophies, Masterpieces in Brawl, etc.. Also, a dual-layered Brawl disc is 8.5GB, not 7. Furthermore, Sakurai himself said in an interview that the 3DS's limitations will be a factor for roster size because let's face it, there's no way you can fill as many characters into a 8GB card as one would like to fit on - say - a 25GB disc. Unless they decide to cut out crap, like stage builder, Trophies, Adventure Mode, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if they don't break the roster number that Brawl has.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Excuse you, but I have gotten my facts straight. What SF4 and Tekken don't have compared to Smash Bros. are the large amounts of content (including unnecessary content) that takes up a lot of space, like Adventure Mode, Trophies, Masterpieces in Brawl, etc.. Also, a dual-layered Brawl disc is 8.5GB, not 7. Furthermore, Sakurai himself said in an interview that the 3DS's limitations will be a factor for roster size because let's face it, there's no way you can fill as many characters into a 8GB card as one would like to fit on - say - a 25GB disc. Unless they decide to cut out crap, like stage builder, Trophies, Adventure Mode, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if they don't break the roster number that Brawl has.
I would like proof on Brawl having 8.5 GBs as you are the ONLY person I have seen that has said that about Brawl. Every single other person agrees it is around 7 and even a few have said the exact number, but I can't remember it for the life of me. Also trophies and all that don't take up that much GBs. The reason Brawl was so big was because of Subspace Emissary and poor compression. It's already been confirmed we won't be having another SSE which takes care of that problem, and they don't seem to be rushing this game so I doubt compression is going to be as big of a problem either. Also I presume you are talking about this interview http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1972435/super_smash_bros_the_difference_between_wii_u_3ds_versions.html where he says something about limitations well lets look at what he said exactly.

As a result of developing for two platforms, however, Sakurai suggested there are limitations, including the dream of levels from Super Smash Bros Brawl (from the Wii) appearing in the latest Super Smash Bros game.
Where did he saying anything about roster size? He juggested that there are limitations, not what they are.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
A dual-layered DVD can take up to 8.7 GB. Brawl was on a dual-layer DVD but it did not occupy the full 8.7. It occupied around 7.3 if I can remember correctly.

Also I personally have seen the game burned into a non-dual DVD. Every single multiplayer mode of the game was burned into this DVD. What this means is that if you take out Training, Events, Boss Battles and most importantly, SSE, then Brawl and all 35 characters take less than 4 GBs of memory.

Brawls roster number can be easily broken on an 8 GB cartridge.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Where did he saying anything about roster size? He juggested that there are limitations, not what they are.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/super_smash_bros_will_have_the_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds
Due to the limitations of the 3DS compared to the Wii U this could lead to the roster on the home console version being smaller than what it could be. Sakurai clearly thinks it is important to have the same set of characters on both systems.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I see nothing wrong with the 3DS and anyone who honestly hates the darned game on the system is silly.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Wasn't that only on the Fountain of Dreams stage because of the reflections in the water?
Then again, I didn't try playing many 4 IC matches on many stages... :T
That may have been the only tournament legal stage (for all I know) but the Donkey Kong stage with KlapTrap (I forget the name) was where I tested it and believe me, that lagged.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That may have been the only tournament legal stage (for all I know) but the Donkey Kong stage with KlapTrap (I forget the name) was where I tested it and believe me, that lagged.

Odd... I just played the two Donkey Kong stages and I didn't really notice much lag.... Where you perhaps referring to the Brawl Melee stage Jungle Japes? :T

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
They should be thankful its on the wii u. It was going to be a 3ds only title. And ironically the one everyone hates will sell tons more then the wii u smash.I'm thinking the only reason it is on the Wii U is because of it's horrid sales that need a boost that only AAA titles can give.

limitations are bull****. Olimar&pikmin are in.
They have not shown 3DS images which possibly means he's not fully implemented yet. From what I've heard, the 3DS version is behind development.

When Sakurai means limitations, I'm pretty sure it's how the 3DS can handle and run the characters on screen, not the amount of characters there are since the 3DS can handle a lot of cartridge memory. Obviously, the 3DS's processing capabilities is weaker than that of the Wii U's, so if the Wii U has anything advanced that the 3DS is unable to handle, it will not be in the 3DS and Wii U version. It has to be the other way around so if it works on the 3DS version, it will also be in the Wii U version, but at the same time, this means that the 3DS version can ultimately hinder the Wii U version. If they're having a hard time implementing the Ice Climbers in the 3DS version, they would have to be gimped and simplified, affecting the Wii U version as well.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
They have not shown 3DS images which possibly means he's not fully implemented yet. From what I've heard, the 3DS version is behind development.

When Sakurai means limitations, I'm pretty sure it's how the 3DS can handle and run the characters on screen, not the amount of characters there are since the 3DS can handle a lot of cartridge memory. Obviously, the 3DS's processing capabilities is weaker than that of the Wii U's, so if the Wii U has anything advanced that the 3DS is unable to handle, it will not be in the 3DS and Wii U version. It has to be the other way around so if it works on the 3DS version, it will also be in the Wii U version, but at the same time, this means that the 3DS version can ultimately hinder the Wii U version. If they're having a hard time implementing the Ice Climbers in the 3DS version, they would have to be gimped and simplified, affecting the Wii U version as well.
Couldn't they get around how the 3DS can run the characters by downscaling the graphics and using cel-shading? Also, remember that cross-platform play will not be implemented due to each version having different stages, so the only limitation will purely be character-based.

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
It's because people think that the 3ds version will just be a watered down port of the console version with less charaters.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Obviously, the 3DS's processing capabilities is weaker than that of the Wii U's, so if the Wii U has anything advanced that the 3DS is unable to handle, it will not be in the 3DS and Wii U version. It has to be the other way around so if it works on the 3DS version, it will also be in the Wii U version, but at the same time, this means that the 3DS version can ultimately hinder the Wii U version. If they're having a hard time implementing the Ice Climbers in the 3DS version, they would have to be gimped and simplified, affecting the Wii U version as well.

This right here really bothers me. If the 3DS version keeps the Wii U version from being as awesome as it could be, I would be really mad. I know that if you can only afford the Wii U or vice versa, you could only get that version, so they're trying to keep it as similar as possible, but the Wii U version has so many possibilities that it'd be sad to see them cast aside because the 3DS can't handle it.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It's because people think that the 3ds version will just be a watered down port of the console version with less charaters.
Bro, Sakurai has said that they will both have the same amount of characters. If I am wrong, can you post the link where he said the 3DS will have less characters? I believe this link can prove it http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds Even the link says that they will have the same character roster.

Xigger

Smash Lord
No point trying to tell uninformed people that the 3DS will be on par with the Wii U... We don't see those kind of multi-platform games without content being cut back. Just wait it out.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
No point trying to tell uninformed people that the 3DS will be on par with the Wii U... We don't see those kind of multi-platform games without content being cut back. Just wait it out.
You are right, I just hate it when people say bad stuff about the 3DS that isn't true.

Branman64

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9628-5739
Bro, Sakurai has said that they will both have the same amount of characters. If I am wrong, can you post the link where he said the 3DS will have less characters? I believe this link can prove it http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_same_character_roster_on_both_wii_u_and_3ds Even the link says that they will have the same character roster.
I know about that. I was just saying that people still think that the 3DS version will have less charaters because the hardware is not as good as the Wii U.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sakurai has outright said both that the rosters will be the same (no additional or exclusive characters) and that he thought Brawl was taking the roster size a step too far. As such, I would expect a roster size somewhere between Melee's and Brawl's, something both consoles could easily handle.

Differences between the versions will be in terms of graphics, stages and single player functionality alone. Things which take up the majority of the file space and which we already know will vary based on platform.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I know about that. I was just saying that people still think that the 3DS version will have less charaters because the hardware is not as good as the Wii U.
Oh, sorry about that

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This right here really bothers me. If the 3DS version keeps the Wii U version from being as awesome as it could be, I would be really mad. I know that if you can only afford the Wii U or vice versa, you could only get that version, so they're trying to keep it as similar as possible, but the Wii U version has so many possibilities that it'd be sad to see them cast aside because the 3DS can't handle it.
Exactly...couldnt have said it better myself....

Im not even worried about chars im worried about modes/features/online...

I hope the WiiU version isnt just a port of the 3DS Version with different stages....that would be soooo gay....

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I feel like people think the 3DS is as limited as a freaking gameboy smh

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I feel like people think the 3DS is as limited as a freaking gameboy smh
What slander is this? The 3DS has color! OBVIOUSLY the Gameboy can't compete with it! But really, The 3DS doesn't have the same capabilities as the Wii U, so it might hold the Wii U version back.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
What slander is this? The 3DS has color! OBVIOUSLY the Gameboy can't compete with it! But really, The 3DS doesn't have the same capabilities as the Wii U, so it might hold the Wii U version back.
Of course it is gonna hold the Wii U version back, but people say it isn't capable of much and how it is gonna be very limited. If you look at the games it has, you can see how capable it really is. Not getting mad at you though because you are right about it holding the Wii U version back. I am just mad that people think it is gonna hold it back way more than it really is. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it only going to hold it back in characters?

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Of course it is gonna hold the Wii U version back, but people say it isn't capable of much and how it is gonna be very limited. If you look at the games it has, you can see how capable it really is. Not getting mad at you though because you are right about it holding the Wii U version back. I am just mad that people think it is gonna hold it back way more than it really is. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it only going to hold it back in characters?

Prepare to be corrected.

(Oh, wait a second.. Sakurai only said that the number of characters would be the same.. So I suppose that it might be holding the Wii U version back in that aspect..)

But wait! There's more!

Do you think that they're going to make the control schemes different based on the system? ... Of course they are.. ok. Here it is.

Why I think the 3DS is gonna hold the Wii U back in more than just the character aspect.

The Wii U disc has 25 GB available per layer. The 3DS has 8 GB per cartridge, but I heard that Nintendo is limiting games to 2 GB. (My source is pretty outdated at this point, so please don't hold it to me.) With all that space, the Wii U could have an awesome, expansive story mode, or more characters, or more stages. But they want to keep the versions as similar as possible, so the 3DS will definitely hold it back in that way. So.. yeah. And here's the kicker.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Prepare to be corrected.

(Oh, wait a second.. Sakurai only said that the number of characters would be the same.. So I suppose that it might be holding the Wii U version back in that aspect..)

But wait! There's more!

Do you think that they're going to make the control schemes different based on the system? ... Of course they are.. ok. Here it is.

Why I think the 3DS is gonna hold the Wii U back in more than just the character aspect.

The Wii U disc has 25 GB available per layer. The 3DS has 8 GB per cartridge, but I heard that Nintendo is limiting games to 2 GB. (My source is pretty outdated at this point, so please don't hold it to me.) With all that space, the Wii U could have an awesome, expansive story mode, or more characters, or more stages. But they want to keep the versions as similar as possible, so the 3DS will definitely hold it back in that way. So.. yeah. And here's the kicker.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about!
*sigh* well their story mode is going to be different by what i read (again, correct me if I am wrong), so they could go all out on the wii u version and have a shorter story in the 3ds version

Top Bottom