• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people constantly say Yoshi sucks?

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
to a certain degree eggman, you're right and i'm not trying to debate some points you made (eggs+bair is always a better option). what i'm referring to is when a character comes at you with a laggy attack, shield roll, and in most cases you should be able to get a smash/jab in. yes, very situational and very basic concept, but even against good players i can get at least one KO or at the very least avoid taking damage doing this, usually. i'm not advocating spamming shield roll at all, just saying that there's gonna be times when you have to shield, like a powerful attack, and a lot of these attacks are laggy, which could provide you with enough time to attack after the animation from shield cancelling. all i'm saying is that yoshi's shield roll shouldn't be overlooked and ignored, and while he can't attack immediately out of his shield as fast as others can, that doesn't mean it's a useless tactic and should be abandoned by all yoshi users. i see what you're saying about players who know his weakness, and i agree, but those players can't make their atttacks less laggy no matter how good they are. even if yosh cannot immediately counter, his fast, high priority jabs (higher than most people think) will take care of most opponents as they turn around to attack after they've missed.

it's pretty ill-advised to shield and get chased while you're opponent waits for you to come out of the egg shield, but if a yoshi user knows when to shield and when not to, getting punished for using your shield becomes less likely. this is what i mean when i talk about his learning curve, things like learning when to use his shield and when not too. getting good at a character is all about maximizing their strengths while minimizing their weaknesses, this takes more time with yoshi than with other characters, especially if you're playing at a high level.

this is what leads most people to erroneously claim yoshi (and other characters they have a hard time learning) sucks. marf, meta knight, and all other "high tier" characters are way more straightforward to play and learn. those are the characters i tell people playing for the first time to choose.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
i say they are jealous that his name actually means "video game" in chinese. yoshi=yo shi=video game?
therefore he is the essence of all video games

Nocher

Smash Rookie
ya i guess so. either that, or they just dont like his style. and that is ok

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
it is simple. They think Yoshi is still his melee way. They also think that minor problems is such a big deal. No DJC? that wasn't even a problem. As a matter of fact, he is better w/o it, but they think it is the end of the world for him cuz of it. They will believe anything that smashwiki has written down, and not ask the pros what yoshi has.

Top Bottom