• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I care that my main is top tier

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
So the second I saw Greninja in the direct I knew I would main him, not just because he is my favorite video game character, but because he is exactly what I look for in a character. Anyway, everyone has been saying he will be or is top tier. Idk why but it bothers me so much. Is it bad to main a top tier character? Or should I say make you have less skill? It has really been putting me down lately idk why (Im obsessed with Greninja btw) But should I be worried that people will think I have less skill or anything like that?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Top tier characters don't necessarily mean that you have less skill. Look at Melee Fox.
Just main whoever you like; if they lose tell them to learn the matchup.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
U can main who ever u like all tiers really mean I'd how good they are in X amount of counter characters they have, and if both their air game and ground game is good.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There's no folly in playing a high tier character. And just the same, there's no folly in playing a low tier character.

Play whomever you want to play. You'll have a lot more fun that way and have a much better time because of it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry too much about tiers, as they don't bother the lives of the majority of players. Unless you plan on attending big tournaments, in which case you may want to consider getting to know a few of the "better" characters as secondary characters, where people are going to know all the techs required to give them the precise advantages in a match-up, you won't need to even think about tiers. There is no shame in choosing to main characters that are vastly considered to be the "best" or "worst", either; just play who you find fun.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Just do what makes you happy, who cares what people think of you or your motives.
Especially about something as silly as tier-lists.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with playing a character you like, be it top-tier or low-tier.

There's also nothing wrong with intentionally picking top-tier.

However, intentionally picking low-tier for the sake of being a low-tier warrior is ********. These types of scrubs should really go away.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
There's nothing wrong with playing a character you like, be it top-tier or low-tier.

However, intentionally picking low-tier for the sake of being a low-tier warrior is ********. These types of scrubs should really go away.
If you say so, I disagree. Just look at Jigglypuff. Sometimes it just takes the right person to unlock the potential and show how good a character can be.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Top tier characters don't necessarily mean that you have less skill. Look at Melee Fox.
Just main whoever you like; if they lose tell them to learn the matchup.
Hmm. That helps, thanks. I feel like my friends at least will say he's OP which really gets to me but I guess I have to understand that they're probably saying that because they don't know the match up, or because they lost.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
If you say so, I disagree. Just look at Jigglypuff. Sometimes it just takes the right person to unlock the potential and show how good a character can be.
Nothing wrong with playing a character you like and unlocking its potential. I'm talking about people who intentionally pick characters just because they're low tier so they can be a unique snowflake.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Don't stress about it! I can see Greninja being top tier, but that doesn't mean you're a noob, that just means you like the character. I for one, am maining Lucina... I have no idea what tier she will be in. I could see her being top tier or horribly low tier.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
this is one of the dumbest threads ive ever seen
if your favorite character is high/top tier you should be happy, not sad
unless theyre good enough to get banned from tournaments lmao

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
if your favorite character is high/top tier you should be happy, not sad
unless theyre good enough to get banned from tournaments lmao
ayyy

Anyway...

I main Shulk and Dark Pit. They are far from top tier but I still like them for my own reasons.

Last edited:

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Tiers are designed with high-level tournament play in mind. If you're not an experienced tournament SSB player, the tiers are not really directly applicable to you, since they assume you are able to take advantage of the all the advanced mechanics in the game and push a character to its theoretical limits.

For example, the Ice Climbers were high on both the Melee and Brawl tier lists almost solely due to their chain-grabbing mechanics. If you are not capable of chain-grabbing with them, then obviously they wouldn't give you any real advantage over other characters. This is an extreme case, but the principle applies to virtually every character. Earlier tier lists are actually a little bit more applicable to casual players than later lists, since many advanced strategies have not been developed, but the people determining these lists are still assuming every player has expert movement and strategy knowledge.

On the other hand, if you ARE planning to engage in tournament play, then it's probably good you're picking a decent character, since it will make actually winning a little easier.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I'm sticking with the characters I use/main regardless of their placement in future tier lists.

Last edited:

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I main Link as you can tell and he was always considered low tier, main whoever you like.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I base my mains purely off of whether or not I'm a fan of the character and their series.

Pikachu is arguably the best 64 character. I don't care, I just like him.
Mewtwo sucks in Melee, but I consider myself rather skilled with him. Yeah, it gives me a chance to prove something, but I use him primarily because he appeals to me design- and moveset-wise.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I've mained the same character through thick and thin since I started playing Smash, tiers be damned. But hey, you stick with a character long enough and they're bound to be top tier eventually. Only took him 3 titles...

Last edited:

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
I base my mains purely off of whether or not I'm a fan of the character and their series.

Pikachu is arguably the best 64 character. I don't care, I just like him.
Mewtwo sucks in Melee, but I consider myself rather skilled with him. Yeah, it gives me a chance to prove something, but I use him primarily because he appeals to me design- and moveset-wise.
I do too, Greninja is my all time favorite character in any game

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No worries, you won't get slandered as long as your character isn't the top of the top by a long shot, ala Meta Knight in Brawl, or use tactics that feel cheap like ICs, and while Greninja is great he's not the very best character in the game, nor does he have any cheap tactics.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm only going to ever main the character I enjoy playing as the most. To me, gameplay is always the only thing when choosing who to play.

Whoever makes me the most hyped to play is who I play as.

In 64 that's Mario (Falcon ain't too far behind), in Melee that's Fox (although Marth is close), in Brawl that was Toon Link, in Project M it's a mess (I'm always torn between Marth, Roy, Fox, and Ness), and in Smash 4 right now it's Toon Link again (although Lucina is close).

The only time I would suggest to ever switch a main is if they are so terrible that they are limited and those limits make them boring. Kirby in Melee did that for me, and I figured that out within a few months.

However, in MvC2, tiers are a super big deal and there's a big difference (ignoring the tier tweener characters who are in between "true" tier categories) between the 4 Gods, the high tiers, the mid-tiers, the low tiers, the bottom tiers, and Roll. I actually in that game almost exclusively play mid-tier characters because I enjoy mid-tier play the most. There's no infinite combos, no broken stuff, and the defense feels super smooth. Plus characters like Mega Man, Spider-Man, and Wolverine have designs in that game I just absolutely LOVE TO DEATH!!!!

So if you enjoy mid, low, bottom tier play over all tier play (mostly high and top tier), there's nothing wrong with that either. There's always a crowd in fighting games that prefer that over the top tiers.

Just be aware of what kind of style of gameplay, character, game direction, and game balance you like the most, and embrace it.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
There's no folly in playing a high tier character. And just the same, there's no folly in playing a low tier character.

Play whomever you want to play. You'll have a lot more fun that way and have a much better time because of it.
On topic I agree completely with you. Off-topic, I love that you also love Sakuya. :'3

But yeah don't sweat it if your character is considered "low tier". If you actually have fun playing that character that's really all that matters.

I had fun playing Kirby in Melee. I have fun with Captain Falcon in Brawl. Pikachu isn't considered all that great in Melee but I still use him.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Maining a character you like who happens to be top tier isn't the same as maining a character just because they're top tier

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I think that tier lists are mostly a guideline of what characters seem to have the best matchups against other characters with most players. Even though some characters are extremely high tier, you personally might do better with a lower tier character. A lot of the characters ranked low-tier are just ones that not many people are good at, but some people might be able to unlock their true potential. Take Amsa for example, he plays Yoshi in Melee.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
People use tier lists all wrong. It's like when people say Fox is OP in Melee because he's top tier. This couldn't be more wrong.
People who say these kind of things aren't worth paying attention to. A high tier character is basically a character that is strong at tourney level. Yeah, sure it can be used as a sort of "balance guide" casually to some extent, but unless you're going to play this game competitively, it's not really worth worrying about. So what, you play one of the better characters in the game? Why hinder yourself because other people are acting like *******?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Unless a character is legit broken like Meta Knight in Brawl, or is legit garbage like Ganondorf in Brawl, nobody really has a justified reason to slander you (and even if they are, slander is taking things too far). Just pick who you want, Smash Bros is designed so people can pit their FAVOURITE Nintendo characters against each other and represent them in their social circles or at tournaments.

People are complaining Rosalina is broken, but since I cannot enter local tournaments of any kind, I will still play as her a ton even if she eventually is deemed broken.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Unless a character is legit broken like Meta Knight in Brawl, or is legit garbage like Ganondorf in Brawl, nobody really has a justified reason to slander you (and even if they are, slander is taking things too far).
My brother played Ganondorf in Brawl and nobody could even come close to touching him. He's won local tournies with him, too.

People are complaining Rosalina is broken, but since I cannot enter local tournaments of any kind, I will still play as her a ton even if she eventually is deemed broken.
He also plays Rosalina in Smash 4. My perspective on the matter is that she has a very, very steep learning curve, yet proportionately enormous rewards if you can put the time and effort into mastering her. I can't figure her out, so I respect those that can. You're right to stick to your guns, either way.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My brother played Ganondorf in Brawl and nobody could even come close to touching him. He's won local tournies with him, too.

He also plays Rosalina in Smash 4. My perspective on the matter is that she has a very, very steep learning curve, yet proportionately enormous rewards if you can put the time and effort into mastering her. I can't figure her out, so I respect those that can. You're right to stick to your guns, either way.
And there's nothing wrong with that. Ganondorf is statistically the worst character in Brawl, but if someone can make him work for them, then in my opinion, they deserve respect for that. I was just saying that I can see why people might raise an eyebrow, even though I disagree.

SoulSeizures

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2535-3943-1132
Only thing I concern myself with in terms of tiers is that people are going to know how to fight the higher ones because you see them a lot more often and you can't do as much gimmicky stuff with them. Also because said gimmicky stuff is fun.

And that's the story about why I pocket Jiggs and Miis

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
And there's nothing wrong with that. Ganondorf is statistically the worst character in Brawl, but if someone can make him work for them, then in my opinion, they deserve respect for that. I was just saying that I can see why people might raise an eyebrow, even though I disagree.
Oh, of course. I'm just pointing out that, well, whatever works, works.

Your point just happened to be a good example to highlight.

S2

Smash Lord
First of all, you should NEVER feel bad about playing a high-tier character. If a character you like ends up being high tier, then you lucked out. Don't let someone shame you for playing who you like.

Second, at this point any tier listing is speculation. Yes, you can kind of figure which characters will probably be the cream of the crop based on early impressions. But that isn't completely set in stone. Sometimes a character that is initially pegged as weak ends up having some tech that makes them very good. It just takes a little digging and practice to figure out.

To clarify, I'm not saying that every character has some hidden tech that will make them godly. But there are sometimes cases in which an overlooked character ends up being a lot better than their initially given credit for.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I have to disagree. Picking a character only because they are top-tier is extremely lame. Of course, dropping your favorite character only because they ended up being top-tier isn't something I would recommend either.

Anyways, I don't care about my favorite characters being top-tier. In fact, I prefer them to be mid-tier. That way, people who pick top-tiers solely because they are top-tiers won't play my favorite characters.

tl;dr: Play the character you like, regardless of whatever tier they are.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
S Anyway, everyone has been saying he will be or is top tier. Idk why but it bothers me so much. Is it bad to main a top tier character? should I be worried that people will think I have less skill or anything like that?
It's because of the social stigma against top tier characters and the fact that there are a lot of people who pick them just because they're top tier. Also you don't have to worry about people thinking you have less skill, they WILL without a doubt. But at the end of the day, who cares? 520

Top Bottom