• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why didn't OoT adult Link or TP human Link get spirits at least?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just find this really glaring. TP Ganondorf and OoT Zelda got spirits, and there was absolutely no reason not to make the former an alt; at least OoT Zelda wouldn't really work as an alt since ALttP Zelda's animations are so different from the previous incarnations. And I know that TP Link and OoT Link are in for a fashion, but TP Wolf Link is tied to Midna, and Young Link is just Young Link with no reference to his adult self in sight.

I still insist that the most ideal scenario is that they get in as alts for each other as an echo of the current Link (mainly since current Link's moveset is so different that I'm sure many people miss the old moveset). But if they were to be deconfirmed, they should've gotten spirits at the very least, especially since certain previous playable incarnations of Zelda and Ganondorf got spirits. I don't get why these two previously playable versions of Link get shafted like this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just find this really glaring. TP Ganondorf and OoT Zelda got spirits, and there was absolutely no reason not to make the former an alt; at least OoT Zelda wouldn't really work as an alt since ALttP Zelda's animations are so different from the previous incarnations. And I know that TP Link and OoT Link are in for a fashion, but TP Wolf Link is tied to Midna, and Young Link is just Young Link with no reference to his adult self in sight.

I still insist that the most ideal scenario is that they get in as alts for each other as an echo of the current Link (mainly since current Link's moveset is so different that I'm sure many people miss the old moveset). But if they were to be deconfirmed, they should've gotten spirits at the very least, especially since certain previous playable incarnations of Zelda and Ganondorf got spirits. I don't get why these two previously playable versions of Link get shafted like this.
I think it's bizarre how mage Pig Ganon is not a Spirit not the beast one from Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. But yeah, Ocarina of Time Link and Twilight Princess Link should definitely be Spirits if OoT, TP Ganondorfs and TP, OoT Zeldas are. But the Spirit team has left out a few very notable missing characters from the Spirits list as well such as Porky Minch, Sylux, Poochy, and Adeleine, and Ribbon so they could have just forgotten to put those Spirits in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think it's bizarre how mage Pig Ganon is not a Spirit not the beast one from Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. But yeah, Ocarina of Time Link and Twilight Princess Link should definitely be Spirits if OoT, TP Ganondorfs and TP, OoT Zeldas are. But the Spirit team has left out a few very notable missing characters from the Spirits list as well such as Porky Minch, Sylux, Poochy, and Adeleine, and Ribbon so they could have just forgotten to put those Spirits in.
I'm guessing they couldn't come up with a spirit fight for trident-wielding Ganon.

Also, now that you mention it, TP Zelda doesn't have a spirit either. I sure hope they aren't saving her for an echo. At least the significant differences between old Link and current Link would justify an echo.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Come think of it, I would like OOT Link (Smash 64 + Melee) and TP Link (Brawl + SSB4) to be alts of Link in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Come think of it, I would like OOT Link (Smash 64 + Melee) and TP Link (Brawl + SSB4) to be alts of Link in Smash.
They can be alts of each other, but BotW Link is too different from OoT and TP Link for the latter two to be alts.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They can be alts of each other, but BotW Link is too different from OoT and TP Link for the latter two to be alts.
In that case, OOT Link and TP Link could be separate characters too.

OOT Link
- normal arrows
- normal boomerang
- normal bombs
- Hookshot
- normal sword

TP Link
- normal arrows
- Gale Boomerang
- normal bombs
- Clawshot
- normal sword

BOTW Link
- double arrows
- normal boomerang
- remote control bombs
- normal grabs
- sword beams

Quillion

Smash Hero
In that case, OOT Link and TP Link could be separate characters too.

OOT Link
- normal arrows
- normal boomerang
- normal bombs
- Hookshot
- normal sword

TP Link
- normal arrows
- Gale Boomerang
- normal bombs
- Clawshot
- normal sword

BOTW Link
- double arrows
- normal boomerang
- remote control bombs
- normal grabs
- sword beams
I personally wouldn't mind taking a slight liberty with TP Link to make him an alt of OoT Link, but BotW Link goes too far. Four Links would be good enough for me, if pushing it and only wanting it because I miss the old moveset too much.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If they were separate, OT Link should probably be the most faithful to the pre-Ultimate moveset. They could easily enough be lumped together so long as the Gale Boomerang was aesthetic only.

On the topic, I would like OT/TP Zelda in somehow as well. OT Zelda at least got a spirit, but I don't think TP Zelda did.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damn! Talking about this topic makes me really miss OoT/TP Link in Smash. I stopped playing as Link in Ultimate when they changed his moveset and gave him his BOTW design. I'm not really a big fan of that design of Link at all. He looks more feminine than Zelda does in BOTW and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol! Link with his green hat and green tunic will always be the most iconic and best design of the character to me. Not counting CDI or Animated series Links though lmao!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No "usable" artwork. Either that, or redundancy concerns (although we got the original NES Link anyway).

The spirit team might as well be blind men that were too polite/ashamed to admit as such to Sakurai, for how efficient they are.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Exactly, those are readily available (hence the quotations I've used), yet somehow they couldn't be added.

Maybe they ran out of time, but it still doesn't explain weird occurences like getting a fan edit of a Masked Man sprite that wasn't noticed until after the fact.
I don't see why they couldn't be used. I think they reused the art whenever they released the remasters. I don't think it was a problem with the art. Time constraints, maybe, but it is odd that they'd put TP Ganondorf and OT Zelda, yet none of the other playable Links or TP Zelda. Them just making questionable decisions seems most likely, but it really probably isn't a matter of how usable the art is. There should be no legal issue, especially since they used other art from those same games.

Though, at this point, the best we can really hope for is that they'll add them in some random event, because adding them as echoes or something doesn't seem in line with their DLC plans.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Nobody knows. Maybe they didn't want to have so many Link spirits, maybe they ran outta time, who knows?

Fighterwise, OOT Link won't be coming back for the foreseeable future most likely, as Young Link inherited his legacy moveset so that Current Link could have one more representative of Breath of the Wild.

TP Link would be pretty backwards since his design was already in Brawl/Smash 4. Not to mention we already have 3 versions of the same character.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Though, at this point, the best we can really hope for is that they'll add them in some random event, because adding them as echoes or something doesn't seem in line with their DLC plans.
They could probably make Classic Link for cheap since Smash 4 has the model and animations premade. With this in mind, they could probably release him as a free character outside of the Fighter's Passes. It's unlikely, but still, it would truly complete "Everyone is Here."

Fighterwise, OOT Link won't be coming back for the foreseeable future most likely, as Young Link inherited his legacy moveset so that Current Link could have one more representative of Breath of the Wild.

TP Link would be pretty backwards since his design was already in Brawl/Smash 4. Not to mention we already have 3 versions of the same character.
Current Link is so different from past adult Links though. There has to be many people who are alienated by the shafting of the previous Links. The other two Links are too fast and light to satisfy the desire for the classic adult Link. And again, "Everyone is Here" rings somewhat hollow if the classic adult Links are unrepresented.

KahunaLagoona DX

Smash Cadet
I'll go with they just didn't want to add the Spirits.

No real reason behind it, not every game in the Zelda series needs to have spirits based on every entry - what we've gotten seems to have worked out just fine especially since Zelda has the most enhanceable spirits in the game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The Hero of Time is a pretty glaring omission. Especially since he is a former Smash Link.

Arthur97

Smash Master
We have the Hero of Time. Just not his adult form.
Okay, the Hero of Twilight is a glaring omission and also a past Smash Link. The closest we got was Wolf Link & Midna, but that's not his primary form. One would at least think a nod to the past Links of Smash would have got them in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The spirit fights would even be almost* perfect to implement the past Smash Links. They could make OoT Adult Link a stamina fight against Young Link, then Wild Tunic Link with an attack buff. They could make TP Link a fight against Wolf with a speed buff, then Wild Tunic link with an attack buff with the Midna AT dropping in. Both would be Legend-tier Spirits, of course.

*: I say almost perfect only because them being an echo would be absolutely perfect.

Top Bottom