• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Did You Main Ike?

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I love Path of Radiance, and he's simply my best in Brawl.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Because when I was checking out the Smash Bros Dojo I saw this cool looking Fire Emblem character that Ive never seen before. The only FE characters I knew about was Marth and Roy, so then I learned more about Ike by watching vids of Path of Radiance on youtube, and looking at his information at the Dojo. He seemed cool. When Brawl finally came out, he was the first character I tried out, it took a while for me to get used to his slowness...i was going to give up. Then I watched vids of Kirk's Ike and saw that Ike is a beast in the right hands, so I practiced more and got pretty good with him. I still use him today he is a part of my 10 mains and in my golden trio along with Lucas and Zelda.

Havoc Cycle

Smash Rookie
I'm an FE fanatic and I was to lazy to learn Marth again so I picked up Ike.

Turns out I'm better with him anyway...besides, I fight for my friends.

Thorns

Smash Cadet
He's my second main other than Meta Knight. I just love his sheer power and knockback. And his F-Smash sounds like a cannon.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
I main Ike so that when I win, I can hear "I fight for my friends". I also like his FS and he is basically just a really good charcater, freakin strong and fast enough, good edgeguarder, ok recovery, and some good combos. (No Mudkipz, tho)

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
I main Ike so that when I win, I can hear "I fight for my friends".
I find Ike's English voice acting to be terribly annoying, especially the cheesy lines. Thank god I have the Japanese version, where Ike's dialogue is much cooler.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Because I was able to pick up on him pretty quick. His moves are all quite useful as well as epic, his smashes are great, his attacks are neat and all around useful, his Super Armor is some of the more useful kind that you activate at will, he has one of the most powerful smashes in the game, and he's more of a pseudo-tank if you ask me, since he's not ludicrously heavy, beefy, huge, or slow (even though he is pretty slow and kind of heavy, just not ridiculously so) and that's pretty cool; Quickdraw is especially fast. I also find it noteworthy and interesting that he's one of the few characters with English and Japanese voicetrack and both of them sound pretty good (even though the Japanese one is cooler, in my opinion), and the English one sounds especially good after having been subjected to the inescapable "delicacies" of Ryan Drummond. I've also learned to feed off peoples' hate, and people hate Ike. It's fun to get people to think I'm a noob or something and then kick their arses and show that Ike is more than just a character only noobs and annoying fanboys that quote him flock to, he's just plagued with that nasty (however unfortunately, mostly true) stereotype. Aside from that, the only negative for him to me is that he's REALLY easy to gimp, and thus easy to kill if you get proactive and take the initiative after he gets tossed off the stage. Besides, he's got noob killing moves all the way to Kingdom Come, an excellent ledge game for someone with no projectiles (which I don't mind at all [in fact, it's kind of nice]), and he probably kills at lower percentages than any other character.

I knew he was the one for me since they announced him, too. I saw the Aether move and was awestruck at how epic it was. Before Brawl, Pikachu's Thunder was the most epic move. Now it's Aether, and that's awesome. I mean, come on, he throws his enormous, heavy, heavenly crafted sword into the air with a huge spin, jumps up, catches it, and flips with it as it reaches the peak in what appears to be anti-grav, but it's just at the peak of the parabola. Sometimes it's the little things that count.

raph21

Smash Rookie
kinda long story: when i bought braw, the first first first thing i did was to taste the new characters and FS, so i liked mk and ike, then i started playin history mode, i used to use roy, kirby, link and samus, but in this game i didnt like em much, so now i main ike and my secondary is kirby since he didnt changed much(now i kno what i did with kirby wasnt pro at melee xD, well iwas a 8-10 years old kid now im 14 and i kno how things work up in smash games xD lol)

Duker

Smash Journeyman
To start with because he seemed to be the replacement of Roy (which was my main in Melee), but I continued because he feels so darn great to use.
For example, when I managed to pull this off.... the feeling is undescribable:

Appologises if it's a tad too large...

DJS12345678

Smash Rookie
Because it's fun to catch noobs and level 9s off guard with his dash attack, and even more fun to spike people to their death at 30% or lower. :laugh: :ike:

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
At first I used Ike as a replacement for Roy, but after the first few tries I noticed that there was a great difference. After a while I grown accustomed to the controls and ever since he was my main. And also Ike was broken in the end of PoR once everything was maxed (pwned the Black Knight with no effort).[/FONT]

PrepareYourself

Smash Ace
I use Ike because, like others, thought of him as the new Roy. A much better character, but that's just me.

Anyone notice? Listen to his Fsmash; it sounds like he is saying "lolwut". This may be old.

Ikedude059

Smash Rookie
Ike is kool and all of his moves are ridiculously strong and for a heavy character he is really fast and has a lot less lag than most and all of his games were one of the coolest games eva.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
true story. this is before i got the game. i was going to get the game, i knew it was a matter of time, i heard so much about it. went on youtube, searched brawl vids. saw Link, he looked great, saw his final smash, i was amazed. then i saw Ike's final smash, "GREEEAAAEAT AETHEEEER!!!!", my eyes were wide, my jaw dropped, it was incredible. after seeing his final smash i decided no matter what, how hard it is to use him, how bad he matches against other characters, even though i never played FE, whatever, I WILL USE IKE!!

when i finally got the game i found out how tough it is to use him, especially against Metaknight and Martha. no matter, i still use Ike. also i found out its better to fight no items in serious matches. so even though i never see his final smash anymore, i still use this awesome character.

Yoshima

Smash Cadet
I like his play style... you can't just spam one of his moves in particular because he's rather slow, so when playing him you're forced to ThinK outside the box as oppossed to spaming. That's what I like about Ike!(hey... that rhymes. :laugh:) And his FS is sweet too.

tabuu13

Smash Rookie
I maned Ike not because I'm good with him, but because I liked his power, his not TOO slow moves and his feel.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Why do I main Ike, because I love FE PoR and RD of course. And I like to use Aether alot, it's his strongest move in his games, it feels like Ike is in his banki when he does Great Aether and I love it. I love when people watch his golden holy sword with they sheld down so the can fly like a brid. Isn't Ike the greatest. :D

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
A Pro Can Kill Without Getting Hit As Ike... And I Dont Mean The 4 Secound Ike Kill On Youtube

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
-I like Fire Emblem
-I like his game
-He's manly
-Aether was amazing in FE9
-I said I was going to main him before he was ever confirmed ("If Ike gets in Brawl, I'm going main him, unless Isaac gets in of course")
-He's awesome
-He's not high tier

Dritz

Smash Rookie
-He'll fight for his friends
-Has a great moveset
-His mixed up look, power speed ratio compared to his games
-He is consistently underestimated even by people I already have played against
-He is a great counter balance to my other characters
-When he crouches it goes "THUNK"

Need I say more?

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
I started maining him after about 3 months of the game being out.
I randomed him so many times I got used to his moveset, and realised how strong he actually was.
He is generally slow, but has moves that are quick that suprise even the most advanced players.
Aether is one of the best recoveries to dodge edge guarders, and his standard A combo is fantastic.

And Great Aether is the best Final Smash, no doubt there. ;)

-Reno-

Smash Rookie
Ike's moves are aesthetically pleasing. Neutral B, Aether and Great Aether all look brilliant.

Oh, and he hits like a truck.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
The sole reason I mained Ike is because of his two FE games, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. He was just a kickass unit in those games and became my favorite FE character, so when he was first announced on the Dojo, I immediately declared him as my main. Thing is, I always do best with the speedy characters of the game, but I chose Ike to main becaus he's just awesome like that.

guild525

Smash Rookie
I played FE: PoR and FE: RD, after taht I couldn't decide NOT to main him once he was announced on smashbros.com :/

ToonLuigi

Smash Cadet
I liked his games...And he has a ridiculous amount of power which is great for wifi (kill stealing ftw :p) and so yeah..."I fight for my friends! I also do crack and heroin."

Top Bottom