• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why cant we use the D-pad for movement again?

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
They give us "customizable" buttons yet only the circle pad can be used for movements. Sometimes i dont get how developers think. Especially in fighting games where everyone has his own way of playing and using the controllers

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They give us "customizable" buttons yet only the circle pad can be used for movements. Sometimes i dont get how developers think. Especially in fighting games where everyone has his own way of playing and using the controllers
The weird part is that only the solo Wii Remote has had the option of using the directional pad for movement.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
I preffer smash with directional buttons since they dont slide away from your figners like analog sticks and circle pads. There are 0 excuses for not letting us make our own controll scheme besides the main buttons

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
A D-pad wouldn't be able to properly register tilts and such. With analogue controls the stick can be moved to varying degrees (ie: a little bit, all the way over) while a D-pad could only register the input one way, and that input would be seen as the equivalent of moving the stick all the way in whichever direction. I'm not entirely sure how Brawl handled it with the Wiimote controls, but D-pads would be an issue since the game doesn't follow traditional fighting game style of reading inputs.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
You could have double taps act as dash/smash inputs, with tap jump forced off while using the D-pad for movement. Angled smashes and tilts would obviously use diagonal inputs. The main issue would be losing a large degree of precision for things like DI and Fox's upB (assuming that it still has 359 degrees that it can fire in). But with DI being hugely simplified/nerfed in this version, that's not as huge a loss.

That said, I'm more pissed off that it looks like (at least from the videos I've seen) the custom controls won't let you turn the D-pad into a poor man's C-stick.

All told though, I'd take the loss in precision from using a D-pad if it meant being able to set the control slider to C-stick a hundred times over.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
a Dpad for movement is a terrible option for a game like smash and severely handicaps the player using it since you can't perform precise movements like you can with a c-stick or the circlepad. I'm surprised that *anyone* would want it back

phanteon

Smash Cadet
it sucks it cant be used for smash attacks. Its not like we would have to chose between Circle pad and the Dpad, having both options would have been great

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
You could have double taps act as dash/smash inputs, with tap jump forced off while using the D-pad for movement. Angled smashes and tilts would obviously use diagonal inputs. The main issue would be losing a large degree of precision for things like DI and Fox's upB (assuming that it still has 359 degrees that it can fire in). But with DI being hugely simplified/nerfed in this version, that's not as huge a loss.

That said, I'm more pissed off that it looks like (at least from the videos I've seen) the custom controls won't let you turn the D-pad into a poor man's C-stick.

All told though, I'd take the loss in precision from using a D-pad if it meant being able to set the control slider to C-stick a hundred times over.
Not only would you lose precision, you'd lose speed of reaction. If you want to dash but suddenly have two button presses instead of just a quick stick movement, that's a small but noticeable delay.

The option would have been nice, I agree, but it would just give people a way to voluntarily handicap themselves. I'd rather set the Dpad to the Cstick and use L as my taunt button, personally.

johnthebonfire

Smash Rookie
I had no problem with the Wiimote. Whenever i played at my cousins house since he only has Wiimotes it was easy Normal attacks with neutral buttons, smash attacks by pressing the direction+ the button double tap direction and then button to attack and just pressing the direction and performing attacks. Are there any more commands?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
a Dpad for movement is a terrible option for a game like smash and severely handicaps the player using it since you can't perform precise movements like you can with a c-stick or the circlepad. I'm surprised that *anyone* would want it back
"Why do people want more options to play? I don't understand! They should play the way I want!"

Seriously. The 3DS d-pad is kind of awful for fighting games, though... But it would have been nice to have the option to use it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Because then there would be no taunts lolololo
The select button would've easily resolved that issue though. If you wanted to do a specific taunt, just press the directional pad at the proper direction, and then hit select.

Anyway, past Kirby titles allow you to dash just by tapping the directional pad twice. Such an action would've been completely possible for Smash Bros., as the solo Wii Remote did demonstrate.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Couldn't it be entirely possible to have tilts registered to the DPad, and then just perform regular Smashes using only the Circle Pad? A bit of a technical leap, since you'd probably want to restrict the Circle Pad to not perform tilts, but I don't see why that couldn't be an option.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you want proof Smash 3DS is irrelevant competitive when Smash WiiU comes out, this is it.

If 64 was say as big as Melee was in 2007 when Melee came out, most of the people who would "quit" 64 would "quit" because of the dumb N64 controller. This is no different, people prefer a game with a superior controller.

This is especially true since the 2 games are the same, only one is in 240p and has local play lag issues whereas the other runs at 1080p and doesn't have local play lag issues.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
If you want proof Smash 3DS is irrelevant competitive when Smash WiiU comes out, this is it.

If 64 was say as big as Melee was in 2007 when Melee came out, most of the people who would "quit" 64 would "quit" because of the dumb N64 controller. This is no different, especially since the 2 games are the same, only one is in 240p and has local play lag issues whereas the other runs at 1080p and doesn't have local play lag issues.
Oh come now, don't be so glass half empty

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The select button would've easily resolved that issue though. If you wanted to do a specific taunt, just press the directional pad at the proper direction, and then hit select.

Anyway, past Kirby titles allow you to dash just by tapping the directional pad twice. Such an action would've been completely possible for Smash Bros., as the solo Wii Remote did demonstrate.
But Doesnt Select pause?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh come now, don't be so glass half empty
All of those are damning things. Lag issues when playing locally, the controller not holding up, a lack of a C-stick, and the 2 games being the same points towards Smash WiiU being the superior version of the same product.

Until Smash 3DS gets a better circle pad, the NEW 3DS' come out internationally, and we get a WIRED CONNECTION option, it won't last. No one wants to watch grand finals of a game that randomly can lag in game due to frequency interference.

It's neither glass half full or glass half empty. It's that the Smash 3DS glass is entirely empty (in 2 months) whereas Smash WiiU's glass will be entirely full.

DividedZero

Smash Rookie
Tilts and dashing would be hard to do. I just wish we change D-pad to perform smash attack as if it were a C-stick, and tap on the bottom screen for taunts.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Can't the D-pad be mapped to anything else than taunts at all?

Khao

Smash Lord
Because Super Smash Bros is a game that's at its very core, designed to be played with analog inputs. You don't let players play with D-Pads for the same reason you "forced" people to use the analog stick on Super Mario 64. Sure, some people complained that they couldn't use the option they were used to with the SNES, but truth is, when the game is designed to be played with a specific control option, that should be the control option available, as it'll simply be better in every way even if somebody has to get used to it.

But what happened with Brawl? Why did Brawl let us play with the D-Pad?

Because of the Wii Remote.

Not everyone has a nunchuk. Not everyone has a Classic Controller. Not everyone has a Gamecube Controller. They didn't want to leave those people out.

On the 3DS? Everyone has a circle pad. If every single player has the control option the game was designed around, I really don't see why they should let them use anything else when it's not going to meet the standards you want your game to have.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
DPad would just be weird. I've tried playing those Smash fangames that have no control stick sensitivity and it just feels off without it. Dunno why they'd exclude the option anyways but it's more than likely because they'd have to program a new controller function(for tilts and movement) for an option that would end up being less optimal anyways. It's the only guess I can make.

Top Bottom