• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't I beat faster characters?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Cuz...

YOU'RE TOO SLOW!!!

Ok I'm sorry, but you set yourself up way to well for that.

Well whatexactly are your problems with said characters? All I can say as of now is learn to play a faster Ness. Be careful with PKT if you use it a lot because faster characters have better chances of getting around it than slower ones. Not that you cant use it, just be cautious. Be sure not to spam the bat because it's slow. Is killing your problem? I can certainly understand grabbing Squirtle and Sonic for the bthrow being harder than grabbing Ganon or Dedede.

Ness also just does well on big boys in general.

Green-Machine

Smash Apprentice
Yes i think my problem is i use projectiles a lot and they just dodge around those easier... mainly i dash-grab because i learned the range for that but they dodge around me and then they smash attack or whatever then they juggle me in the air before i can even use DI to defend myself.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Ness suffers from faster characters because they can get past his defenses with ease. That said, play defensively. There aren't really that many characters who move quickly and can wall off Ness.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Sonic in particular is just a very awkward matchup... I have to completely revamp my playstyle on him.

If you are having trouble with your projectiles (most likely PKF and PKT) all I can say is learn to be on the safe side with PKT and use mindgames correctly to make sure you hit. PKF you just have to pivot more and lag cancel in the air.

If you really cant KO with the bthrow, learn to use the uair, dair, and bair. Bair is self explanitory, to land the uair, you can use the DAS to make sure you get the uair close to the ground while not leaving yourself completely viulnerable as you fall from your short hop. For the dair, learn to punish spot dodges and flex kicks with the sourspot of the dair which has massive horizontal knockback.

Juggling shouldnt be too much of a problem for Ness. Sonic is the better of the jugglers you mentioned, and while he can be a d!ck while under you, proper DI can get you back to the ground safely. Just be sure to predict any spring jumps. Remember, you can use PSIM to stall your fall and PKT in creative ways to land.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Just think about the situation, and find the remedy... for example

How is Sonic getting you off the stage?
Is he using his fsmash? Spot dodge or shield, then counter
Is he using his dsmash? Shield then counter, or short hop dair
Is he grabbing you? Spot dodge then counter
Is he using an aerial? Use Ness' fair

Don't give Sonic the opportunities to knock you off.
By this I mean try not to use laggy moves. PK Fire/PK Thunder have significant ending lag. Fsmash and usmash both have significant ending lag.

And if you're that worried about getting knocked off by Sonic, play more towards the center of the stage

xoxokev

Smash Lord
His throws are generally where he is getting me but i usually time the spot dodge to early and then he fthrows me off the stage
Charge an up smash ;)

EDIT: if he doesn't fall for the bait, release it as soon as possible so he doesn't have the opportunity to grab you after

EDIT2: Bait is the wrong word... *if he doesn't automatically try to grab you

EDIT3: ALSO, he can't grab you while you're using fair. So, fair him...

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I meant, if you see a grab coming... use an up smash, and if you think you might do it too early, charging it would help. So to answer your question, do it when he's close. Usually I do a hyphen smash (running up smash) and I charge it

If you want to spot dodge, Ness' fastest ground attack would be his jab. So follow up with the basic AAA jab combo

EDIT: He can shield grab you if you don't retreat your fair. So retreat it. It's kind of the rule of thumb for Ness players. Retreat your fairs.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
thesage's Sonic strategy: DAS nair and pretend like he has no moves.

lulz

Dtilt stops any roll attack he throws out at you (side and down special, dash attack).

DAS=Double aerial shuffle. Check my guide.

paper otavio

Smash Journeyman
Ok, here's my problem I beat people like King DeDeDe and Ganon in my sleep. Why is it that I can't beat Sonic or Squirtle??
Yeah, Sonic is akward to fight.....
I can beat Squirtle like nothing though....

Try using the characters you have trouble beating so you can have an idea of how people play with them......(I can beat Ikes and PTs like nothing)

Green-Machine

Smash Apprentice
But i know how to play as sonic abuse neutral b and use speed for you. Never stop moving and make sure your opponent doesnt counter to get you out of you flow of battling. i just cant get moves off before he, or any other fast characters **** me

Gaussis

Smash Ace
If you can't beat faster characters, you need to see which attacks you use for those said characters. Against Squirtle and Sonic, you need to make sure your attack will hit them or they will run like furies around you. Also, don't go overly aggressive against them. Use attacks that have long duration but that don't commit Ness for too long. Also, use more Nair and Dair. :p

Gaussis

Smash Ace
They do what?????????

You're probably being too predictable with it. That's why you use dair, for their dodges. Besides, if they're shielding on the ground, use fair then.

Green-Machine

Smash Apprentice
they arent shielding their dodging i cant Fair that, well i can but i always do that i try to switch my game up so much that my new tactics for fighting them suck.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
One thing you could do I suppose is to go to training mode, set the npcs to evade or whatever and practice hitting them. I remember doing that in melee since I always had trouble with fox's speed back then. Or you could always go to the fast melee, get used to that and then sonics in normal wont seem as fast lol. Just in general get used to their speed, that way you can get your response time up and counter effectively

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
yeah i find the usful for people who like to hit you in the air when your retreating

by jumping back wards and hitting foward on the c sitck (thats my settings ) you do the f air and due to like the momentum of your going it gets a longer hit dammage area so anyone trying to charge you in the air will get punished ! :) thats what i use (also figured it out myself hahahha)

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
if you want i;ll brawl you online cuz i main sheik and shes like tired with zss for third fastest

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
hahahahhahaha ohh wow that might just be the funist think ive heard yet today! wellll thats to bad hahahahaha

sorry sorry thats not cool of me to laugh. but hey if you get another cord lets me knows

Top Bottom