• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl Lags

tehyoshi

Smash Cadet
I think I've figured out why brawl lags.

Brawl is definitely one of the better looking games on the Wii (if not the best)
so it Pushes the hardware to keep the game running at 60FPS/40FPS per second
When Online play comes along it has to try to keep the frame rate up as well as
Stay connected, and the Wii struggles causing a little bit of lag to moderate lag.

All that factors into your connection and what not.

What let me to this analysis was that Mario Kart has shabby graphics, yet runs lag free
Online. The Wii doesn't have to work as hard.

What do you guys think?

(hopes this wasn't super obvious) :dizzy:

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Brawl is a pretty big *** game. It takes forever to load when you start it, as compared to mario kart which you can just press A and you're in the menu. It makes sense, I just wish nintendo could have found a way around this.

Panix

Smash Ace
I think "and I know I might get flamed for this" if we paid for the connection im sure that Nintendo could support the connection that we would need to play a 100% lag-free game. I mean honestly. If it meant paying 50 bucks a year to get a good stable connection I would do it.

tehyoshi

Smash Cadet
I think "and I know I might get flamed for this" if we paid for the connection im sure that Nintendo could support the connection that we would need to play a 100% lag-free game. I mean honestly. If it meant paying 50 bucks a year to get a good stable connection I would do it.

I'm sure everyone knows that, I'm not complaining or ranting, this is just something I thought about.

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
Why couldn't they just charge an extra, say, $3 for the game when it came out to help cover the costs of decent online? It would still be $7 less retail than ps3/360 games, not to mention you'd still have to pay for 360's Live service.

And anyone who complains about paying a measly $3 extra shouldn't be doing ANY Xmas shopping, period.

tehyoshi

Smash Cadet
I'd pay $50 a year for brawl lag less! T.T I can't believe they would do this, Lagless Brawl = Greatest Fighter Ever x 100.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I wouldn't pay crap for online, which is the reason I don't own a 360. As if I'm not already paying bills to keep the internet I use then having to pay extra to have the lag slightly reduced.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Smash is a fighting game.
Halo is not.

Qaomen

Smash Cadet
I thought mk had a different connection then the ssbb one...
In mk it doesn't really matter if the opponents are a bit 'behind' since your goal is to complete 3 laps as fast as possible, but if lag happens in Brawl the matches might mess up (just imagine your opponent warping around the stage, while you suddenly get KO'd by absolutely nothing).
I noticed that in mk there still is a little lag (like 2 or more persons getting hit by the same shell). At least, that happens to me sometimes. =\

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
I wouldn't pay crap for online, which is the reason I don't own a 360. As if I'm not already paying bills to keep the internet I use then having to pay extra to have the lag slightly reduced.
Seven extra dollars a month is the most you have to pay for XBox LIVE. Maybe more like $8 depending on taxes or whatever.
Or, get a year subscription, which is only $50. Get the subscription card for Christmas every year from parents or otherwise. Or get it for yourself for Christmas. $50 is not a lot at all for something you're going to be using year-round that is so very well sustained thanks to the income it receives.

Wanna know why WoW has more players than free MMORPGs?
Because people pay for it. "Why?, that doesn't make sense."
Because people pay for it, the direct result of that is good service. Balancing patches; Blizzard employees attempting to listen to suggestions that are posted up on forums; and so on.
Free MMORPGs have countless bugs and glitches and imbalance that no one will fix because they can't be bothered with it. Why? Because they're not being paid to do so.

That point is exactly why Nintendo's WFC sucks horribly; and generally why Brawl's internet sucks even worse.

The Wii is MORE than able to run Brawl flawlessly in-game (forget menu load times), and with high-quality servers for players to connect to, the game would probably lag very little.

I played one of the more recent DBZ fighters that came out on the 360 online, with someone from ITALY.
It lagged thousands of times less than trying to play Brawl with a friend who lives less than a mile away. Please, explain this one to me.

In any case; I think I would have to agree with the topic creator; the fact that Nintendo provides terrible quality internet service, coupled with the intensity of Brawl's self; the game lags more than it should.

-Nox`

tehyoshi

Smash Cadet
There you have it, Brawl lags because Nintendo didn't want to have the Wii be able to be in the "next gen" race. Wii didn't think about the future, they thought about only the present. If only Wii had amazing graphics and good hardware, not only would brawl look better, but lag wouldn't be a problem.

*imagines a world where you don't have to have to invite someone over just to play without ******** delays and lag storms*

Puddin

Smash Lord
I played one of the more recent DBZ fighters that came out on the 360 online, with someone from ITALY.
It lagged thousands of times less than trying to play Brawl with a friend who lives less than a mile away. Please, explain this one to me.
This is easily explained by the fact that you were playing a DBZ figher. DBZ is the greatest.

Over 9000 jokes aside, I get what your saying paying 50$ for a year of online gaming isn't a bad deal at all. But I own PS3 which offers free online as well and lags at least 30 times less then Brawl or any other online Nintendo game. I suppose that is a result of $600 dollars though.. Case Closed. PS3 costs a bucket load, with low amounts of lag to make up for it. Wii is cheap, Nintendo hates us. Final Verdict; Nintendo loses the game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Cost? Nay, it's the fact that Nintendo chose Wifi, the worst possible online system for video gaming. There's no way it'll be able to have lagless online unless they incorporate a different Online system, which would require new servers and other stuff.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
It bites when you want to play a friend or someone really strong who plays across the country and u get lagged out =/

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Mario Kart Wii does lag horribly like brawl but you can never notice since the game is not played in Sync, to make the game run faster/cover lag. (For people who don't know what Sync/Desync is: Say I just green shelled you & I saw the shell hit, but on "your" screen it didn't hit, that would be desync between players.)

You notice lag in Brawl because you have to be in PERFECT sync with each other.

It has nothing to do with the graphics of the game, (If it was the problem you'd be getting the same lag offline.)

Course' it should never be a problem anyway, if Nintendo didn't have "bad" servers in the first place.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it's so bad players dont get destroyed over and over again its the same reason the game is the way it is

sakurai's delusional view on what's 'competitive' makes it this way - the lag online was programmed in on purpose

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
^^^You're being sarcastic, right? Lag doesn't keep bad players from getting destroyed...it's actually quite the opposite.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
i always thought that brawl lagged because it worked kinda like a P2P (Peer to Peer) Program...

I've lagged with plenty of people online

but me and my friend who live in the same city both have 6 Megabyte download DSL
and were also using LAN adapters, are always lag free!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
^^^You're being sarcastic, right? Lag doesn't keep bad players from getting destroyed...it's actually quite the opposite.
It's entirely impossible to use my reactionary playstyle online; a Wario can't do anything to a tilt-spamming DK with a standard amount of lag in online.

I cannot agree with your statement.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
good players are 100 times worse online - bad players tend to do much much much better in an environment where player skill matters less - and in the current wifi we have player skill isn't that important

MetaZeph

Smash Rookie
ive never really had a problem with nintendos wifi, surely there is lag occasionally, but the friends i play with online are local..so mebbe that helps? but try the hardline adapter for the wii it might just help

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the lag is programmed in - it ALWAYS lags - there are NO exceptions EVER. even with the BEST connection with the wii's two INCHES away from eachother you still get almost a half second of lag

not necessarily the random slow down lag - but the button delay or "projector" type lag is always there

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
i always thought that brawl lagged because it worked kinda like a P2P (Peer to Peer) Program...

I've lagged with plenty of people online

but me and my friend who live in the same city both have 6 Megabyte download DSL
and were also using LAN adapters, are always lag free!
I thought so to because as it says CONNECTION TO OTHER PLAYER how good the connection is between you two theres no servers...I'm pretty sure

Panix

Smash Ace
I think Wii should do a xbox live thing, lets go to the wii forums and start a thread about making wifi a bit better =)

UltimaXtreme

Smash Journeyman
I think I've figured out why brawl lags.

Brawl is definitely one of the better looking games on the Wii (if not the best)
so it Pushes the hardware to keep the game running at 60FPS/40FPS per second
When Online play comes along it has to try to keep the frame rate up as well as
Stay connected, and the Wii struggles causing a little bit of lag to moderate lag.

All that factors into your connection and what not.

What let me to this analysis was that Mario Kart has shabby graphics, yet runs lag free
Online. The Wii doesn't have to work as hard.

What do you guys think?

(hopes this wasn't super obvious) :dizzy:

it has to do with the method of packet transfer between people.

brawl uses a method which transfers packets instantly, which causes the delay you see.

SleeplessInKyoto

Smash Apprentice
It has nothing to do with the graphics. That is all mostly client-sided data.

Its probably to do with the fact that brawl uses P2P (peer to peer) connections. Meaning, you are directly connected to who you are playing with, and that you are not connected into a server. There is a Nintendo server which does the matchmaking, but that is all it does. This is why lag is really affected by geographical distance moreso than other games. Also, if you share a connection in your house with other people via Wireless Networking or LAN, this will heavily affect it too. And bear in mind, the people you're playing may be sharing connections with their own family, or downloading things. You never know.

Another factor is that we are dealing with an extremely fast paced fighting game with so many command inputs to register and send across. As someone said, there is always projected lag in *any* online game you play, but the trouble is that this is exaggerated even more because you are playing a game that requires a perfect degree of control and perfect synchronisation. Why do you think most MMORPG's have combat systems that happen slowly/overtime rather than fast paced action type gameplay? Its simply to do with the nature of online itself, restricting how "fast" you can go with each other.

Top Bottom