• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl is the Way it Is.

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie
To start this off. This is merely my own opinion. You can agree with me or disagree with me. :)

Well, after playing days and days of Brawl and reading all these topics about "Brawl sucks, Brawl is slow, Brawl is floaty, Melee>Brawl." People have not stopped to question why Brawl is the way it is. NOW. Take a second and think. Alright, times up. The reason is because it is on the Wii. You may be wondering why I think this is the reason. (Wow you're an idiot! Wow you're stupid! Thats blasphemy! Huh? What do you mean?)

Okay let me explain. You see that little white console machine you're playing on? Yeah that's the Wii. And what controller does the Wii come with? The wiimote! Ahhhh. I am clever, I know. As many of you may know, the wiimote isn't an ideal "controller" for Brawl... Yet in my opinion Brawl was meant for it.

Why is there no L-Canceling? Look at the wiimote. Has anyone tried playing on it? The B button is the shield, which equals the "L / R" Buttons on the regular gamecube controller. Right? Imagine pushing that stupid horribly placed B button every single time you want to L-Cancel.

The Wiimote? Are you sure? Of Course! I don't think the Wii came with gamecube controllers...Did it? A majority of Wii owners have the Wiimote + Nunchuck because its comes with the Wii... So it would be realistic for Nintendo to make Brawl meant for it.

I wonder why we have Auto-Sweet spotting ledges... Hmm. Try playing with a Wiimote, and just imagine you were playing without that "new feature". You'd be dying like crazy getting killed off the ledges. It'll be really hard just to sweet spot the ledge. Am I right?

Why is it that when you hold down the attack button...some characters attack repeatedly? Good Question. One possible reason is that you are using the (Number buttons) on the wiimote which aren't best for repeated tapping. These wiimotes don't last forever ya know.

That being set aside. I just wanted to say Brawl is awesome. Ok. Thx. Flame me if you want. Bye.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
"The game is designed so that everything is reaaaaally easy to do because it's hard/inconvenient to do it on the Wiimote?

Basically, they created a game lacking in depth and a learning curve because... people who are new to the Wiimote won't be able to use it properly?

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Why is there no L-Canceling? Look at the wiimote. Has anyone tried playing on it? The B button is the shield, which equals the "L / R" Buttons on the regular gamecube controller. Right? Imagine pushing that stupid horribly placed B button every single time you want to L-Cancel.

Like you said later most people have a Wii Mote and a nunchuk so they will use it instead of just a remote... Controller configurations can easily be changed so i doubt they would change the game play for something that can be changed...

Sakurai made Brawl the way it is because he loves n00bs, just look at all the wave dashing users who say they suck at brawl.

EDIT-

I am talking about those people who literally say that they suck at brawl because there is no wave dashing, l-canceling, etc. not all competitive players in general.

Ichida

Smash Ace
God... just imagine what Brawl would be if the Gamecube Controller wasn't implemented...

Rufeo

Smash Cadet
That's a good point. They couldn't have just assumed that all wii owners also owned a gamecube and controllers. But the only people who are going to use the wii controls are going to be casual players and if they made the game like melee I don't think too many would complain about it being too hard.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sakurai made Brawl the way it is because he loves n00bs, just look at all the wave dashing users who say they suck at brawl.
If you're talking about people who were actually good at Melee and competitive players, they don't suck at Brawl. They just might not like it. That does not mean they (and probably I) can't 4-stock you.

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie
"The game is designed so that everything is reaaaaally easy to do because it's hard/inconvenient to do it on the Wiimote?

Basically, they created a game lacking in depth and a learning curve because... people who are new to the Wiimote won't be able to use it properly?
Like Ichida said. Imagine Brawl without the compatibility of a gamecube controller. I mean sure, you do make a good point. I'm sure people could eventually kick some *** with a wiimote. If not now... then later.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
God... just imagine what Brawl would be if the Gamecube Controller wasn't implemented...
The classic controller actually works well once you get used to it, maybe change some buttons around. At the very least you can play Brawl from across the room with it :)

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack

Ok, if this "depth" you speak of are the "AT's" in melee, it's not depth, it's underdevelopment.

Learning curve? It's a party game for starters. Not meant to be taken TOO seriously in the first place.

Secondly, it's interesting that people complain about these things, that it's too easy for no0bs. Good. The more the merrier I'd say. Wouldn't you who's taken so much time to master the AT's of melee want to let it all pay off and crush that noob? Or is it that you know it's karma catching up? Or is it pride that will be crushed if you, that master of AT's, gets ***** by that noob?

ps: When I say you it's generally speaking, not directly at you Yuna

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Actually we should be thankful that they allowed usage of the GC controller because they coulda ignored the whole thing entirely and force ppl to use a Wiimote+NChuck and nothing else (No Classic Controllers or Gamecube Controllers)that my friend would suck lol

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie
Actually we should be thankful that they allowed usage of the GC controller because they coulda ignored the whole thing entirely and force ppl to use a Wiimote+NChuck and nothing else (No Classic Controllers or Gamecube Controllers)that my friend would suck lol
Oh right, I forgot about the classic controller. :laugh: Whoops! My bad. But my opinion still stands. Because who wants to shell out some extra cash for a controller that isn't that well made. (My opinion)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
amanthemansofine, stop trolling. Seriously, I won't even dignify your post with a reply or a quote.

Oh right, I forgot about the classic controller. :laugh: Whoops! My bad. But my opinion still stands. Because who wants to shell out some extra cash for a controller that isn't that well made. (My opinion)
Wouldn't it be good business to actually design it so that you have to use a GC-controller if you want to play it to its utmost level to force more people to buy GC-controllers in addition to Wiimotes? More money for Nintendo and all.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
All things considered, Brawl is pretty **** great the way it came out.

It's not nearly as hard as I thought it'd be to play with the Wiimote/+nunchuck. I remember Melee feeling very unnatural to me for at least the first week I played it. But Brawl is probably ultimately very well-suited for all four control rigs, despite veteran fans who might be stuck with GCN-controller mentality.

I've been too lazy to try the other setups as of yet (wanna at least unlock everybody first), besides a brief hour with the wiimote/nunchuck. But I'm willing. I just have issues pulling off B-moves, but I can change things around if it gets that bad. Fun.

.::Link::.

Smash Apprentice
it's interesting that people complain about these things,
I too find such complaints intriguing. Brawls lack of so called 'advanced techniques' and its easy 'get up and go' feel to it makes it tons more competitive. It just means that more people will move up to the level of 'maximum' super smashage. What does this mean in terms of the saddened pro smashers in dispair over the dumbing down of a beloved series? MORE COMPETITION. Something you can really sink your smashing jaws into. More people at your level = more desolation! If you truly are the 'bees knees' or the 'Captain Falcon's man scarf' then you can truly welcome this playability enhancement with open arms. Your skills will be put to good use as you wage endless war with smashers who have the power to look you in the eye as your equal and as your rival.

-Link-

Ichida

Smash Ace
I'd buy a Wavebird if they weren't like $40 on eBay, bleh. If anyone finds one for $25-, let me know. :p

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack
amanthemansofine, stop trolling. Seriously, I won't even dignify your post with a reply or a quote.

Certainly Mr. director sir. Am I making too much sense for your liking? Not trying to troll, stating my opinion.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet

Wouldn't it be good business to actually design it so that you have to use a GC-controller if you want to play it to its utmost level to force more people to buy GC-controllers in addition to Wiimotes? More money for Nintendo and all.
Well sure that would be a great idea but keep in mind alot of ppl don't have that luxury of still keeping their 1st party GC controllers since the GC is a last-gen console and alot of ppl probaly sold their GC controllers to get a Wii at launch day as an example and since nintendo stopped making them the only ppl who still have gc controllers are freaks like us hell I still have my Snes Controllers if they made it compatible with this game lol

Marie_54

Smash Ace
If you're talking about people who were actually good at Melee and competitive players, they don't suck at Brawl. They just might not like it. That does not mean they (and probably I) can't 4-stock you.
No, pay attention to what i said; "Sakurai made Brawl the way it is because he loves n00bs, just look at all the wave dashing users who say they suck at brawl."

I am not talking about people in general, i am talking about those people who literally say-

"I get whooped in brawl because there is no wave-dashing"

I've read plenty of replies like that in this site just look around.

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie

Yuna, Good point again. That would be good business for Nintendo. From what I am reading, you are trying to disapprove me on why the game is so simplistic? Am i right? But really... Think about it. Not all Wii users have Gamecube controllers. Gamecube controllers are getting harder and harder to find. Wouldn't Nintendo start creating more wavebirds? Another thing, they already implemented the Gamecube controller to Brawl and it does already make you play to your "utmost level".

Spellman

Smash Ace
It is still hard for this game to be considered a party game because most people have to own it and play for days to be as good as another person who owns it, no matter what settings you play with. Party games are mostly just interactive lightshows on your T.V. that most of what you do won't have a dominating effect on the final outcome of the game or match.

So uh, it can be a party game if nobody practices or knows anything about the game? You could almost say that about any game.

solidsnake4119

Smash Rookie
It is still hard for this game to be considered a party game because most people have to own it and play for days to be as good as another person who owns it, no matter what settings you play with. Party games are mostly just interactive lightshows on your T.V. that most of what you do won't have a dominating effect on the final outcome of the game or match.
The whole "party game" opinion that many users have talked about is interesting. It does further re-enforce my opinion, but I did not mention it in my "little paragraph" because I don't believe in it. Isn't every single game considered a party game? (Well, multiplayer games) Wasn't melee a party game? I've played it at parties... Oh yeah and I agree with what Spellman said.

Firebert

Smash Ace

So uh, it can be a party game if nobody practices or knows anything about the game? You could almost say that about any game.
I think by party game they are referring more to it being a good game to play at gatherings.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Tru Dat but Guitar Hero 3 is considered a party game although compared to part 1 and 2 part 3 is harder for all difficulties compared to the last 2 games and is suited for the experianced GH player

04r

Hyper Edition
NNID
AceinBlack

Quite the point. I agree now that I think about it(you can own at Mario Party at any given moment). However, I still don't consider SSBB or any game in the trilogy to be taken as serious as say a modern Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Firebert

Smash Ace
Tru Dat but Guitar Hero 3 is considered a party game although compared to part 1 and 2 part 3 is harder for all difficulties compared to the last 2 games and is suited for the experianced GH player
But it is a party game because it is easy to pick up and play at a friend's house.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Ah, yeah, that's also kinda true, but you gotta admit, two players competing on a high difficulty is serious gaming. What makes GH an easily accessible party game is the music for one, and the easily accessible handicap system; a person who plays the game on easy can beat someone who is playing on hard at the same time because it is easier to get 100% on easy.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Well SSBB isn't a more violent Mario Party but yet it depends on the crowd who's playing it sure if a bunch of ppl who are together and getting drunk playing the game having a good time then it might be considered a "party game" yet 2 ppl could be going at it in Vegas for $20,000 on FD with no Items and 4-stock then ppl would consider it a "e-sport" but what makes a game generally great is that it could do both of that stuff!

Firebert

Smash Ace
Well SSBB isn't a more violent Mario Party but yet it depends on the crowd who's playing it sure if a bunch of ppl who are together and getting drunk playing the game having a good time then it might be considered a "party game" yet 2 ppl could be going at it in Vegas for $20,000 on FD with no Items and 4-stock then ppl would consider it a "e-sport" but what makes a game generally great is that it could do both of that stuff!
And that is one more great reason to love Smash: It's accessible and fun at all levels, from casual to pro.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I agree. :)

Marie_54

Smash Ace

My cousin owns that game and i must say any kind of Guitar Hero game is a party game...
Grab a real guitar and try to play DragonForce's Through The Fire And The Flames at the same speed of the song with only a tab...:psycho:

...Sorry... I just had to say that...

Firebert

Smash Ace
My cousin owns that game and i must say any kind of Guitar Hero game is a party game...
Grab a real guitar and try to play DragonForce's Through The Fire And The Flames at the same speed of the song with only a tab...:psycho:

...Sorry... I just had to say that...
That's more of a drunken party thing. =P

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yuna, Good point again. That would be good business for Nintendo. From what I am reading, you are trying to disapprove me on why the game is so simplistic? Am i right? But really... Think about it. Not all Wii users have Gamecube controllers. Gamecube controllers are getting harder and harder to find. Wouldn't Nintendo start creating more wavebirds? Another thing, they already implemented the Gamecube controller to Brawl and it does already make you play to your "utmost level".
I'm not trying to "disprove" anything. I just don't think the reason why the game is as it is is because of how hard it is for 1st-time tryers to use the Wiimote for Smash.

He did it simply because he wanted a simple game marketed at the Casual consumers (the fact that hidden depth wouldn't stand in anyone's way as no one's forced to use it seems to have eluded him).

Top Bottom