• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why ban Hyrule Temple? ~

Ulevo

Smash Master
Myself and a friend were going through the stages in brawl on the random stage selection, giving the shaft to any of the stages we deemed too random or hazardous for when we wanted to play some serious 1 v 1. We come to the temple, and we have a disagreement.

I believe the stage should be banned outright, as it is too easy for characters to camp on. Yes, Fox can no longer camp effectively with his lasers having limited range, but others like Falco still don't have that problem. That, along with the addition of Sonic, and others such as Zamus, Sheik, Falcon, etc..., who are capable of taking advantage of the timer for auto wins make it a very unfair stage. Get aways are easy, and slower characters are forced into an unfair and impractical chase. And let's not forget about those crazy techs at the middle of the stage.

My friend believes the stage should stay put, due to the fact that the stages appear smaller, or that the characters are "bigger" in brawl. He also argues that there are many obstacles for characters like Sonic to run around within the temple in order to get a clean get away, while at the same time, providing cover for supposed victims of camping.

What would your input be?

elliwg6

Smash Rookie
I feel like it hasnt changed enough for us to toss the old reasons out. It is a little harder to camp. but definatly still possble, and actually easy

Subtle

Smash Cadet
I think the 'fight club' cave is the major problem here. People survive for ridiculous times, it draws matches out and makes them less practical for competitive play. While this was always the primary motivation behind the banning, Fox 'camping' was a much more decisive argument as to why it should be banned (As you can't beg the line of 'how big is too big') as that is a great deal more objective than subjective.

I believe it should be banned in brawl for the same reasons it was banned in melee, even if the problem characters have changed.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
even outside of the running there is the issue of the bottom area where a match can easily come down to who's lucky enough to get bounced around the wrong way.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
There is a time limit for matches you know. The only objection is that you can constantly run from some characters. Pit and Meta knight for example can always outrun most characters. Heck one arrow to the face and Pit could probably stall for the remaining time.

Other then that I don't see much of an issue. Sure most matches will end via time but I don't see that breaking the game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Metaknight can fly around the entire stage without even landing.

And the cave is also a problem, as mentioned above, people can survive to huge percents, usually only dying because of a fluke with being hit at the right angle.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It still encourages camping and stalling. The gliding characters can fly around the whole stage, forcing other characters to chase them. Of course, if they're playing against a slow character, the gliding character can just glide back and forth the whole match and wait for time to run out. Wouldn't really be fair, right? :ohwell:

Ulevo

Smash Master
To be a little more fair to the opposing argument, usually my friends and I do not use the timer for stock matches. With that out of the way, what other major problems do you view?

D00D64

Smash Cadet
Personally, I see it being anti-singles by far. Doubles however... It's not as easy to camp in doubles because of the obvious two targets, and if someone runs, the other can go the other way. Simple. Though, the fight club still poses a problem.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry if this may seem like spam, but where exactly is the random stage selector? I have all of the stages yet I do not see it anywhere. Same thing with the Stock Match Time Limit, I miss them ;_;

~Strong Bad

Chozo01

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this may seem like spam, but where exactly is the random stage selector? I have all of the stages yet I do not see it anywhere. Same thing with the Stock Match Time Limit, I miss them ;_;

~Strong Bad
Random Stage should be next to more options and Stock Time limit should be in more options. Are you sure you have every stage?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I got the message that says you got all the stages "You now have all the Brawl stages! Play on all 41 stages" or something along those lines.
Where is "more options"?

EDIT: Looked on Gamefaqs. Apparently I need to get a total of 200 KO's to get it. Sorry to bother you.

~Strong Bad

2azn4u

Smash Rookie
It should definately be banned for timed matches, but real men play stock and in that case it's just a counter-pick stage favoring pit, metaknight, ect.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's TOO BIG! It's the biggest smash stage ever. Even New Pork City isn't THAT BIG (though if you include DI range, New Pork City is much bigger). Thge triangle, camping, space animals, hard to pull off final smashes, the Fight Pit, flying around the stage, three floor camping to the far right, the top central platform....the dividing mid-right pillar...it's all bad. Bad for tournaments, at least. IF Hyrule Temple was 3 or 4 seperate stages, it'd be legal...all 3 or 4 of them! :laugh:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It should definately be banned for timed matches, but real men play stock and in that case it's just a counter-pick stage favoring pit, metaknight, ect.
Real tournaments have time limits. Or should we forego it? Say hello to 5 hour games where some Pit arrows someone in the face and then runs away for the rest of the game.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Hyrule is very simply banned because no one wants every match to be 8 minutes, and go to sudden death.

There ARE time constraints in tournies, but usually matches are over in half the allotted time, or 8 minutes.

Geist

Smash Master
Dude, with good DI and teching, you can survive up to 400-500% on a regular basis. Unless you want your matches to last half an hour, don't choose this stage. Tournament matches are restricted to around seven - eight minutes. And it's not like you can ban certain characters on certain stages. Any campy character is in heaven on this stage.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
All large stages with lots of places to hide are banned, for the reasons that you said: cowards and campers.

Top Bottom