• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are they taking away the ability to control Nana's throw direction in 3.6?

WookieCookie

Smash Rookie
Hear me out. I honestly think 3.5 ice climbers are the best and most balanced they've ever been. I think hand offs and semi infinites(https://gfycat.com/IncompatibleWhiteAfricangroundhornbill) are the only things that make ICs viable at a competitive level. The 3.5 ice climbers meta has barely even began to develop but when it does I believe we could see an ICs main win a large tournament.In my opinion, removing the ability to control nanas throw direction will make the character borderline unviable(and a hell of a lot less fun).

But that's just me. What do other IC mains think about it?

Last edited:

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
Well, you're wrong. I'm not sure how else to put it, but they took away tools from Melee, and made Nana SD more. All on accident, because most of that should be fixed in the next patch. That one thing won't make or break the Ice Climbers when the entire character is bugged. It's not a matter of fixing Nana's throw options, it's fixing the entire character.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Controlling Nana's throw direction leads to handoff infinites anywhere on stage, which is almost as dumb as wobbling (and has the same end result). The way they'll end up being is a Zangief- or Hakan-esque grappler character, who can either force opponents to the edge where they can use deadly handoffs and grabs into smashes to finish people, or if they set up and get a grab closer to the middle of the stage, they can do different chainthrows and/or tech chases to work the opponent to the edge as well. They'll want narrow stages, but it's balanced out by having a horrible edge game and being easy to gimp.

If they had handoff infinites, they would always pick wide stages, camp the middle, and win with 4 grabs.

Smash Journeyman
Well, you're wrong. I'm not sure how else to put it, but they took away tools from Melee, and made Nana SD more. All on accident, because most of that should be fixed in the next patch. That one thing won't make or break the Ice Climbers when the entire character is bugged. It's not a matter of fixing Nana's throw options, it's fixing the entire character.
I really want 3.6 to fix all of the major bugs and AI issues so people will actually look at the character critically instead of just saying "Ice Climbers are bad because bugs". I think they're a bit underrated by most players, but they still have some issues, aside from bugs, that need to be addressed. Just out of curiosity, why do you main ICs in Melee but not PM? I know there are a lot of reasons they might not appeal to a Melee ICs main, I just like to hear other players' perspectives.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
meh, I can't wait for 3.6 because at least the movement glitch will be fixed, even if IC's will still be not great, we can at least move.

But honestly I stopped playing IC's for a while in PM because they didn't have the CG's/Infinites. After learning them in Melee/Brawl, I thought that the lack of them (to be fair they exist but only in certain places in PM) made the character less fun to play. I enjoyed the process of learning how to wobble, how to handoff, and the looks on my opponent's faces when I did pull one off sucessfully. (Only time I ever didn't enjoy this was when the other person unplugged my controller mid-wobble) Not so much because they seemed worse, because they did get better, but because the playstyle that they seemed to demand...gets absolutely wrecked by most of the cast, as most characters do have a significantly easier time separating the climbers, and even with Nana's improved AI she still is bad at recovery. And somehow even with hitbox changes, sopo seemed weaker. All of these changes made me give up on the character for a while.

I did pick them back up in late February/March, went to Shots Fired, got wrecked in pools, long story won't go into details, but after that colossal failure, I played a ton of friendlies with both my Luigi and IC's, and found that my IC's won at a much higher rate than Luigi did (used both in pools as well), though i'm 100% positive a good chunk of that was because no one knows how to fight IC's in PM unless they are relatively experienced in Melee, but it was fun, it gave me hope, and I regained my enjoyment of the character in PM (I didn't drop them in Melee in the time I stopped playing them in PM). I enjoy them to a point, handoffs are cool, and the PM IC's have helped my Melee neutral a bit.

But I still feel a void, or a general handicap of the character, and while I enjoy the continued "you're the first IC's I've seen in PM period" it makes me feel a little odd, even though I'm very aware of at least the PM IC's on this board. I feel like the character has to work incredibly hard to win MU's that they should win in theory (big characters aside, they are all free except ganon imo). But even with the changes, IC's don't feel as strong as other characters because it feels like their compensation for a lack of full stage 0-death grabs are gone, it seems that nearly every character has the tools to seperate and destroy them rather easily, they appear to always be at a disadvantage.

Either way that same feeling is why I have returned to maining them in PM, if only to help show the character before 3.6. And even though I know it's impossible I do dream of a day of where we can 0-death in the middle of FD or Battlefield and people can look at us, knowing their lives are in our hands, and that to me is a feeling that makes some unwinnable matchups, appear winnable, because screw it, it's in their character, and i'm sorry if you get grabbed by the IC player, you deserve to be killed for it, not just a punish that you can escape at any point, but something that can actually put fear in people's hearts. Either way, I'd love it if we could control nana's throw inputs again soley because you could never give them wobbling/brawl 0-deaths, but being able to have a grab game where a punish is even more deadly seems fair when virtually the entire cast can separate the IC's at any point (difficulty does vary), and the only grab responses are for the most part easy to escape. And no, I don't mean control through the glitch that exists in 3.5 but instead the kind of control that existed in Melee, including the timing for handoffs. I say Melee because brawl timings would be too broken and non-IC mains would complain about it even though everyone else had enough buffs to make getting grabs without serious outplays or reads relatively difficult.

TL;DR - I stopped playing IC"s in PM because I felt that even with their "buffs" the buffs to everyone else made them completely unviable because they did not have a punish game strong enough to make up for the lack of infinites + the ability to seperate Nana. Returned to IC's because I still liked the character, but am very convinced that these problems exist and they won't get better but the character's still fun if way more work than anyone else to make them viable.

At the same point, without an infinite and the changes to peach, I don't get how that MU isn't 0:100 Peach in PM, and if someone could explain this to me, that would be great.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
Just out of curiosity, why do you main ICs in Melee but not PM? I know there are a lot of reasons they might not appeal to a Melee ICs main, I just like to hear other players' perspectives.
I fully plan on using them either as a co-main or secondary in PM once 3.6 hits. I've tried to use them in 3.5, but usually I just end up being super frustrated at the momentum glitch. I really don't like feeling like I don't have full control of my character, especially when I've put in a lot of time on movement alone in Melee. Nana SDing a lot is just icing on the titanic sinking.

Infinites are neither here nor there. I do chaingrabs, handoffs, and wobble in Melee depending on how I'm feeling, so it's not me just wanting wobbling back. I actually really enjoy some of their new options like solo-Nana squall to Popo-regrab, stuff like that. I do think that if they don't have any infinites, then they need something else to make up for their worse punishes. Every character in PM that wasn't super high tier in Melee was buffed, and simply due to power creep, I believe our inuits would be low tier even without them being broken. A thought I've had is that they need more chaingrab/regrab/handoff mixups, to create psuedo infinites. Possible to DI and SDI out of, but only if your opponent has a read on which options you go for most often. By making use of all your tools, it becomes easier to keep people trapped. That being said, I have no idea if that's actually a good idea or not.

Edit: Power creep isn't the right term for making everyone else viable, but I can't think of a better way to word it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom