• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I having trouble playing Online vs playing Offline?

R O F L

Smash Ace
I got NSO a couple days ago and I spent about 3 hours playing online so far. But for some reason when I play online, I play worse than I do when playing offline against friends.

When playing online I tend to screw up neutral, screw up advantage, make less intelligent plays, screw up parries, and screw up combos. However, I do tend to play disadvantage pretty good.

Anyone know why? Is it the lag/input lag? Is it the fact that i'm fighting people I don't know? Is it the fact that there's a ranking system?
Is there any way to help this, like just playing quick play more?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
It could be in your head or it could be lag. It could be lag but you might’ve had a couple bad games online and let it get in your head

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
No, but the lag online isn't terrible. I've only had a couple rounds where the lag was bad.
You will have lag so small you wont notice it but it will be enough to throw off your game. The more you play online the more you will compensate automatically for the lag.

Arrei

Smash Lord
You probably know your friends' habits and how to deal with them. Playing against randoms online means you're starting from a blank slate of information, potentially causing bad plays, especially if you're unconsciously expecting these people to pull out habits you saw in your friends.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
It’s either your internet or the fact that you play against new people as you already pointed out. I noticed this when fighting online or against friends innever played against before. You need to learn to adjust mid-game. My best friend tended to be pretty aggressive ao i have problems against reactive players who just defend bait and punish.

Get a lan adapter and practice. That will solve your issue assuming your provider isn’t ****.

Top Bottom