• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I even maining Wario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButterMeister

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3265-5927-1235
I've played him enough to know he's not exactly the greatest character, and I've lost the first round in a local tournament (to be fair that happens no matter who I play). I like his air moves, ftilt, and Chomp which makes him singlehandedly good IMO. But everything else just isn't that good. No combos, bad customs, bad throws, risky kill moves. Convince me to stay on Wario pls.

Routa

Smash Lord
Erm... Wario isn't about combos. He is a poking character (he is like Jiggly but far more defensive). Wario's air game one of the best (or even the best) in game.

Yeah Wario doesn't have as good customs as Ganondorf, but the reason is the default ones are above average (Chomp is maybe the best N-special in game). Also you can choose from 3 different Bike (they are all equally good) to make your Wario fit more your playstyle. Rose-Waft trades KO power to wider area coverage (good trade if yog ask me).

Bad throws? What have you been smoking? His Wafts? F-throw is one of thous few strong F-throws that are reliable as KO move. His D-throw can combo/string into Dash, Bair, Nair and Bike (also into Uair if used near ledge or edge of plathform). B-throw isn't as powerful as F-throw, but it is good move to get enemy far from you (or off-stage where you can gimp them by Fair or Waft). U-throw is good way to get stage advantage (you don't want to be above Wario).

Yeah he doesn't have really safe KO moves, but once again it is about reads. You can get early KOs by gimping people. Also an air dodge read may give you a 1 stock lead. But anyways here is lost of Wario's KO moves (other than smashes):

Uair
Bair
Dair
Bike (if normal)
Waft
F-tilt
F-throw

Also Wario has ok MUs against top tier characters (well after all he is the Sonicslayer). You should not play Wario like Mario or Faptain. You should play him more like Jiggly mixed with Ike (defensive poking game). He is considered to be A-/B+ in tier list. I would suggest you to get secondary to help his poor MUs.

But then again... I'm just a random 3DS Wario hero.

ButterMeister

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3265-5927-1235
I love the bite and his air game. Chomp really does put him up on the tier list. His fthrow might kill, but it's sure no Ness bthrow or Luigi fthrow.I can only start to get killing over 110%. But I'm probably wrong.

I do like how he has good matchups against Sanic and Diddy. And he is rather easy to start playing compared to most other characters. I'll keep giving him tries.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I think he's tough to main by himself, you need a secondary IMO. There's certain characters I hate playing as Wario. I decided to use Wario as my go to secondary basically because he covers the Sonic and Zero Suit matchups really well that my main, Dedede, is awful against. Likewise Dedede tends to be awesome at matchups Wario isn't good at. I think it is important to learn a secondary if you main him because he does have matchups that are a pain.

But one of the biggest reasons to main Wario is nobody plays him, so you can really fool some people. Very few tournament players have a lot of experience against good Wario mains. Wario plays so entirely different from the rest of the cast. Many people have absolutely no clue how to deal with the bike and bite mindgames. Matchup experience is in my opinion more important than where the characters stand on the tier list. And frankly, Wario is pretty darn high on the tier list anyway.

And there's very few things as satisfying as landing a waft to seal a game. Also Wario is such a troll. Farts of death, infinite bikes come out of his ass, bite, what more could you want in a character? :D

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We don't allow threads of individual users asking for help with their character, so I'm gonna have to lock this. If you have further questions, do post in the Q&A thread and read it if you have time, it'll be beneficial. As for custom questions, the Custom Project thread should have you covered on the general consensus of Wario's customs. Good luck with Wario!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom